Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Gtreid on 04-10-2010)

CheapBeerBuzz, Nov 04, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -41.9%

This is from Batch: 2010-Gruit-02

A: Dark Copper in color with a finger thick head that lasts a decent while.

S: Cedar! like wood shop/cathedral in scent. Piney/resiny

T: Very sharply tangy with a some sourness. Imagine drinking cedar sap and chasing it with lacker. Too intense for my taste.

MF: Pretty Dry with minimal carbonation.

D: I will only have nightmares of this beer. Thank God they discovered hops. Not for the faint. Interesting in that I can say I've tried an ancient style beer though.

rmolledo, May 18, 2010
2.9/5  rDev -21.6%

Appears a hazy, light gold with an orange hue and a tiny white head that quickly fades into a tiny fizzled out collar. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is strange...cedar planks, pepper, lemongrass, earthy, with a touch of juniper.
Taste is of the aromas with an oddball flavor that I'm not really sure I enjoy. It's not bad - I just don't care for it.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with spritzy carbonation but the spicing keeps it from being one of the top-notch CCB beers.

weeare138, Jun 23, 2010
2.95/5  rDev -20.3%

batch#2010-gruit-02

A-murkey orange. quick disapearing head.

S-perfumy cedar. slightly medicinal.

T-wet grain. Low cedar flavor. Almost a dirty flavor from the spices. Reminds me of a mediocer bottle of Saison PIpex.

M-Fairly dry. No alcohol heat. medium carbonation.

D-what a wierd beer, but I guess I should have known that. This beer doesn't come together for me. It seems kind of clunky. Not bad, just not my bag I guess.

organicbrewer, Jun 10, 2010

TimH, May 19, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Really didn't know what to expect from this one. An ancient gruit brewed with cigar box cedar in place of hops.

A: Murky tan orange color. A big, pillowy, two finger white head appeared, then faded, and left some spotty lace.

A: Man this is different. Earthy vegetables, maybe carrots and celery. Rice and corn are appereant as well. But I get the distinct cedar the most, it's just like sticking your nose in a cigar box.

T: Taste is very comprable to the nose. I get notes of carrot and other root vegetables, with base 2-row, and of course the cedar. The beer finishes extremely smooth with absolutley no bitterness.

M: Really nice here. Medium body and nice carbonation. Very rich on the palate.

D and overall impression: Drinkability gets a bit of a lower score here. I don't quite think this is my style of beer. Overall, I can really appriciate what CCB was trying to do here. I mean, a beer with no hops, I never thought I would ever have one of those. But, I can say one pint was enough. Really glad I got to try it, but probably won't revisit. Skal.

Gtreid, Apr 10, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Pours a orangish hue with a small white head. Lite retention and some spots of lace.

S: Very earthy, the juniper is there with strong notes of twigs earth, and pepper.

T: Peppery and earthy. The juniper is not really berry like, its sort of muddy to me. There are hints of sweetness. I have had this one several times trying to put a finger on it, but I just can't. I don't dig it no matter how hard I try. I knew there had to be one CCB beer I would not like, and this is it.

M: Medium in body ample carbonation.

D: Not really. I don't dig it.

tpd975, May 26, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Stopped into Cigar City during a business trip and picked up 2 bottles of this brew. Had a small sample while I was there and it seemed interesting. For $9/bottle the price wasn't too bad.

Pours a opaque unfiltered cider like color with a surprisingly big head that quickly dissappears.
The aroma is all cedar. Too much in my opinion. Not unlike the cedar aroma you get from the Jai Alai Humidor Series beer (minus the hops of course). Slight herb aroma as well.
The taste is hard describe as this beer is like no other I have ever really had before. The cedar is present but not as hard core as in the nose. Lager like taste. Woody from the cedar. Strange herb flavor as well. Slight bitterness at the end.
Mouthfeel is light/medium.
So, maybe gruits aren't my style and I have never judged one before but this is just ok in my opinion. Might me just a touch too much cedar for me.

kbutler1, May 18, 2010
3.23/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to moose3285, who just sent me a box bursting with 100% Cigar City goodness. I believe that for his generosity I would never have gotten to try half the CC stuff I've had the pleasure to consume, this being another example...since I wasn't even aware it existed. Thanks Mike!

Poured out of that trademark lovely Cigar City bottle into twin New Holland glasses, this gruit looks like a sunburn just starting to peel & turn to tan. Smell...well, it's not appealing. Wood, weak tea, undercurrent of Halls cough drops. Not a good advertisement.

Gedanken Gruit is one off-the-beaten-path...well, obviously, it's within a virtually ignored sub-section of beerdom. The first impression is of strong pine needles (not hoppy pine, but the actual needles) impregnated with a sting of cedar, all resting languidedly on a gentle bed of spices, making it taste like a liquid National Forest. Less forward are tidbits of honey, reused grain, & the echo of the medicinal quality noted in the nose. Mouthfeel is very strange, with little carbonation & the feel of sleeping the night in a damp tent in your mouth. The cedar & pine lend a serious dry quotient to the beer, which leaves me reaching for it often to rewet my taste buds, which almost feel like they are shriveling & dying as the moisture is sucked from my oral cavity.

What do I think of this? What do I think of the Cirque de Soliel? The first time around, it's so weird, I enjoy it, but spend much of my time with furrowed brow trying to figure it out. This is a pretty good beer, & I'm enjoying it, but it's out there, man. Totally.

maximum12, Jul 04, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

ncaudle, Aug 19, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

I bought this bottle in Orlando last week, now trying it at home. The label says "BATCH #2010-GRUIT-02".

The beer pours a hazy light copper color with a thin and transient froth. It smells like cedar, can't describe any other aromas in this. The taste is kind of peppery and tart, whatever herbs were used in place of hops definitely bittered it. I can't place any herbs. Well carbonated, medium bodied, but still weird beer.

My least favorite from Cigar City, maybe an expression of creative freedom for them but not very satisfying for me. I suspected as much when I bought it, and only my commitment to variety compelled me to purchase this over an extra bottle of Humidor Jai Alai. Definitely would have been happier with more of that beer instead.

TurdFurgison, May 31, 2010
3.33/5  rDev -10%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750 ml bottle, big thanks to tpd975 for the hookup! He's the real pimp.

Pours a clear amber/orange, maybe just a light touch of haze, thin white head forms and settles down to a thin ring around the glass, a few lace chunks stick.

Smell is weird, pretty funky, lots of pepper spiciness, woody, cedar spice, honey, biscuity, some fruity sourness, kind of a mixed bag, some strange yet appealing aromas.

Taste is similar, very peppery up front, some sour fruit and a bit of funkiness, quite spicy, some spruce/cedar woodiness, weird funky finish that goes slightly watery, pretty neat.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, a bit on the sweet side but thats to be expected. A bit of an anomaly, pretty neat, and not bad for a gruit. Overall worth a try. Thanks Greg!

Viggo, Sep 08, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -9.5%

Big thanks to Jeff for sharing this very interesting brew - kudos!

Appearance -- Pours a hazed tangeirne shade with the slimmest of sudsy white heads. Looks handsome in the glass.

Smell -- Medicinal cedar, salted lemons, underripe tart berries, spice, and black pepper. Very interesting.

Taste -- Salted lemons and cedar really stand out. Berry tartness and mild funk are also apparent. Spice and black pepper sharp in the finish. Strong, but simple.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-bodied, medium carbonation. Suits the flavor profile well.

Overall -- Glad I could try this, but the 3-4oz or so that I consumed were more than adequate. Cedar is really overpowering, but there was also some berry tartness that wasn't quite my cup of tea.

yeahnatenelson, Apr 11, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 2010 - 2

Poured into ccb snifter.

Pours 1 finger of khaki head. Color is a hazy golden orange.

Aroma: Reminds me of pine sol or some cleaning liquid. Odd musky flavors. Orange peel. Then I get flavors of a sauna. Huge cedar flavor. I like the cedar.

Taste: Spices and cedar with some fruit flavors. I actually am enjoying it. I do get that pine sol flavor again, but it is subtle. I get oranges and lemons. Big cedar. Unique.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy, crisp. Medium bodied with a high amount of carbonation. Ends with a sticky odd aftertaste. Very dry.

Overall, a unique beer. Some good flavors. I like the cedar. Somewhat drinkable. I bit too much carbonation. It was cool to try this one.

mothman, Sep 19, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured from a 750 into My Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale snifter.
Thanks go out to Mr. Guzman for the interesting extra.

A- dark opaque orange with a small white bubbly head that recedes to nothing except some lacing on the edges of the glass.

S- great smell coming out of This one. Almost like white wine and the cedar mingles in the finish to create a great smell

T- sour fruit tastes that have a slight vinegar like taste. The back half of the tastes is comprised of the woody tastes thanks to the cedar aging. Interesting but not my favorite.

M- this brew has a carbonated mouthfeel that is light and bubbly. Almost reminds me of champagne in this regard.

Overall Im glad I tried the style but the earthy herbiness was too much like a Hippy boutique at the mall

Kelly88, Aug 15, 2010
3.48/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Acquired this through a trade with fogdog. Thanks Kevin!

Poured into a Cigar City snifter.

Appearance: Wow, this looks nothing like the only other gruit I've had (Magnolia Brewing Co.'s Weekapaug Gruit). Bright, crystal clear, and a mix of gold and candy apple red - the body's absolutely gorgeous! The head, on the other hand, is pretty weak: a thin halo of white bubbles quickly decays to absolutely nothing. No lacing either.

Smell: Whoa! Umm... that's interesting. Tons of funk, tropical fruits, and wild yeast. Caramel/sugar glaze and sweet tarts both come to mind. Sweet, sour, and acidic. Very different.

Taste: As with the aroma, the taste is sweet, acidic, and tart. I get citrus (mainly tangerine and grapefruit), Reisling wine, potpourri, and grape Kool-Aid. Finishes dry, exhibiting mainly earthy, floral, and herbal flavors, but also a touch of Sweet Tart-like sourness.

Mouthfeel: Sweet, light-bodied, generously carbonated with fine bubbles, tart, earthy, and dry. Certainly different, almost like a cross between a wild ale and a champagne.

Overall: A weird beer, but also an interesting one. Not really my cup of tea, but I'm happy I tried it.

ThreeWiseMen, Apr 07, 2011

Had this on tap as well, decanted from a 750 ml bottle

Pours a noisy semi-hazed amber/caramel color with a finger of fast falling cream colored head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Tons of cedar, pepper & cereal once warm

T: Follows the nose, along with breadyness, grapefruit & a kiss of honey & some wet cereal aspects that I associate with this style. As this warms apple peel & cedar dominate, peppery notes contribute as well along with just a bit of honey dryness, Finishes semi- juicy with much apple, some dryness & peppery spicyness, deducting .5 for the OTT cedar treatment dragging this way off atyle

MF: Light bodied, near zero carbonation

This drank easy, but the cedar just over powers this & mutes the style IMO. It worked for their IPA, but falls short here. Got better as it warmed all the way up. Tasted better on draft IMO..

russpowell, Jun 24, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Pours a hazy orange-amber with a thin creamy ring of white foam.

S - Grapes (muscat and concord) dominate with some honey, spices, citrus and pepper in there. Definitely a mixed bag, like most Gruits.

T - Wow this is more sour then I would have expected. Tart grapes, honey, rosemary and a definite woodiness. Again, weird but good.

M - Slick and a bit oily with a fairly crisp level of carbonation and a dry finish. Slightly astringent.

D - I was perfectly happy splitting the 750ml bottle with 5 friends, I doubt I could have got through it by myself.

What do you say about this? It's a very unusual style of beer, presented in a very unusual way. However, I love when breweries push the envelope and CCB certainly did that. Very unique beer, pleased to have tried it!

jsanford, Sep 29, 2010
3.5/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml brought by grub I believe - thanks man!

Pours a medium hue orange with some thin lacing, quite light on the carbonation.

The nose is intense and unique. A strong peppercorn which perhaps morphs slightly into a fresh cedar sharpness, a bit musty, a hint of malty sweetness, socks and herbs. At first the pungency of this threw me off but it grew on me, love the spicy cedar aspect and it was bold - I like me bold.

Unfortunately the brew didn't deliver on bold. Light tartness, herbs, light caramel malt with a slightly fruitiness, cedar/spruce, thin tropical fruits, perhaps guava, a light spiciness. Really just not much there, leaves a drinkable beer but nothing too special. Thin mouthfeel.

ritzkiss, Aug 12, 2010

FLBeerGuy, Jun 09, 2013

marine1975, Jan 29, 2012

GehenHerzog, Jan 29, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 split at tasting.

a - orange, murky.

s- smells like fish, wood, salt. funky as shit.

t - citrus rind. wood. actually quite appealing.

m - light body, good carbonation.

o - not a bad beer. definitely unique and far from mass appeal, but I could have drank a 750 by myself.

levifunk, Jun 11, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -4.6%

750 mL bottle, label on the neck reads "Batch #2010-Gruit-02". Picked up for $9 at Abe's after thankfully passing on it for $23 at Capones.

Pours a light, clear bright amber color with light, two finger thick white head that has long lasting retention and streaks of foamy lacing. After sitting here for a while smelling this beer, I'm still going to have trouble describing it. Starts off slightly pungent and cedar wood chip-y. Slowly it becomes more fruity and sweet, with a light white wine quality. Mouthfeel is delicate and soft with light carbonation and short, clean finish with some mildly honey and fruit sweetness. Flavor is an intriguing mix of green tea, peppercorns, nectarines, plums, moss, and other medicinal and herbal flavors. There is a pervasive pungent note throughout and particularly in the finish my mouth feels like I'm either about to or just did throw up. I realize that doesn't sound appealing, but overall I enjoyed this and would happily try this again.

yourefragile, Aug 26, 2010