Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Gtreid on 04-10-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
3.54/5  rDev -4.8%

Had this on tap as well, decanted from a 750 ml bottle

Pours a noisy semi-hazed amber/caramel color with a finger of fast falling cream colored head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Tons of cedar, pepper & cereal once warm

T: Follows the nose, along with breadyness, grapefruit & a kiss of honey & some wet cereal aspects that I associate with this style. As this warms apple peel & cedar dominate, peppery notes contribute as well along with just a bit of honey dryness, Finishes semi- juicy with much apple, some dryness & peppery spicyness, deducting .5 for the OTT cedar treatment dragging this way off atyle

MF: Light bodied, near zero carbonation

This drank easy, but the cedar just over powers this & mutes the style IMO. It worked for their IPA, but falls short here. Got better as it warmed all the way up. Tasted better on draft IMO.. (850 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -22%

Appears a hazy, light gold with an orange hue and a tiny white head that quickly fades into a tiny fizzled out collar. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is strange...cedar planks, pepper, lemongrass, earthy, with a touch of juniper.
Taste is of the aromas with an oddball flavor that I'm not really sure I enjoy. It's not bad - I just don't care for it.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with spritzy carbonation but the spicing keeps it from being one of the top-notch CCB beers. (497 characters)

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle. Batch 2 brewed in 2010.

The beer pours orange with a white head. The aroma is strong cedar and spices with some grass and pepper. The cedar really stands out. The flavor is heavy on the cedar with some honey, orange and spice notes mixed in. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (330 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750 split at tasting.

a - orange, murky.

s- smells like fish, wood, salt. funky as shit.

t - citrus rind. wood. actually quite appealing.

m - light body, good carbonation.

o - not a bad beer. definitely unique and far from mass appeal, but I could have drank a 750 by myself. (280 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

On tap at Capone's on 6/5/10 for the Cigar City event during Philly Beer Week.

A - Hazy cantaloupe-colored body with a slim off-white head that reduced to a thin ring and misty veil but deposited lots of sticky, decorative lacing around the glass.

S - Bold aromatic nose with equal parts pepper, fresh herbs and cedar wood, although the cedar attributes probably nudge out the competition. Quite pungent overall.

T - Intense herbal character with plenty of spicy notes, although a slight but noticeable tartness emerges in the middle and lasts through the backend. The pepper and cedar characteristics work together quite nicely, resulting in a dry, spicy finish with ample bitterness.

M - Medium bodied with lively carbonation and a slight sour, tart quality. Finishes dry with moderate bitterness on the palate.

D - I find this to be an unusual style; nevertheless, it is a very tasty and flavorful style to say the least. The cedar aging especially works well in this instance. (986 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +7%

750ml bottle (labeled Batch #2010-GRUIT-02) received in trade courtesy of blitzstyle. Thanks! Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a yeasty hazed, dirty light amber color with one finger of loose fizzy head the recedes in an explosion of fizzy bubbles til it reaches the surface leaving only a thin fizzy white collar around the edge of the glass.

S - Big, fruity and spicy aromas. I'm getting a lot of oranges in here, kinda in a Sunny Delight sorta way, apricots, chai tea like spices. Very interesting.

T - Taste follows the aroma but has a bit more complexity added in to round things out. Very fruity - especially peaches and apricots with light tangerine and orange added in. Light graininess, cereal like and a bit earthy. The spices used in lieu of hops don't really add a bitterness to the flavor but do balance out the sweetness here and add some nice herbal qualities. I almost get the impression of this being fermented fruit juice with spices added. I get some yeasty flavors too...in a way almost reminding me of a yeasty champagne - giving some of the earthiness and a light dry bitterness that comes and goes and seems to be overpowered by the fruity flavors. Not really getting much from the cedar in this at all.

M - Medium bodied with a persistent and highly active carbonation. Gives a very prickly and tingly feeling on the tongue. Fruity with an overall dryness.

D - Interesting and very unique beer. Not something you are going to find every day. Flavorful, spicy, fruity. Excellent for a warm summer day. Only the second gruit I've ever had. The previous was an extremely thick, viscous and chunky beer which I was able to power thru, but wasn't on my "must have again" list. This is a much tamer, dare I say, geared for the mainstream, version of a gruit - which I have to say I am really enjoying. Glad to try this one, and would be happy to get another chance with this one. (1,912 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -21.5%

batch#2010-gruit-02

A-murkey orange. quick disapearing head.

S-perfumy cedar. slightly medicinal.

T-wet grain. Low cedar flavor. Almost a dirty flavor from the spices. Reminds me of a mediocer bottle of Saison PIpex.

M-Fairly dry. No alcohol heat. medium carbonation.

D-what a wierd beer, but I guess I should have known that. This beer doesn't come together for me. It seems kind of clunky. Not bad, just not my bag I guess. (433 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +12.9%

On-tap at the brewery

a - pours a bright golden amber color with a thick white one-finger head, good retention and lacing, pretty hazy

s - big cedar and juniper berry aromas on the nose, lighter notes of citrus (even without hops) and light alcohol, as other reviewers have noted, the gin similarities are there

t - like the nose, the cedar and juniper berry flavors take center stage, black pepper and hints of apricot also appear on the palate, alcohol is fairly muted, I like the fact that the cedar is not as overpowering on this as it is in the Humidor IPA

m - medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, active in the mouth, nicely balanced finish

d - the flavor is interesting and unique (my first Gruit in at least a few years) as well as balanced

Good to see a great brewery tackle this ancient style. Well done beer and well worth seeking out. (856 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours an nice bright golden orange color with minimal head. Scent is of gin/juniper blended with light tropical fruits like mango, guava and a touch of citrus. Some spices linger in the background, very herbal and tea like. Taste is very unique, combines the above mentiones falvors into an almost tropical gin cocktail. The pepper and spices come through in the end to change the direction of the beer. Medium bodied, very light carbonation. A great intro into the style. (472 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +11.8%

On draft at Capone's.

Pours a cloudy golden tangerine color with golden orange edges when held to a light source and a frothy, soapy white two finger head. Excellent retention only slowly fading into a lasting ring that coats the glass with chunky, soapy lacing.

Spicy herbal aroma with a decent amount of cedar as well as some lght fruit and peppery spice. Slghtly medicinal smellng and unlike any beer I've had before.

Medium body with a slight funky tartness comlimenting the herbal/medicinal notes from the now. Zesty with some peppery spice yet floral at the same time witu crisp light fruit notes. Hints of tangerine and orange peel. Slightly lactc creaminess adds to the incredible complexity. The smokey tobacco flavor from the cedar is evident but not overpowering, allowng the other flavors to shine through. One of th most unique beers I've ever tried. Recommends! (879 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap at capone's for beer week 2010, I love this city and the burbs.

Cedar aged gruit from florida comes out the tap looking bright copper orange with a bit of haze. A bit of bubbles on top, no stick. Smelling peach with a slap of tart on top with some other þcitrus abound, a nice floral hoppiness. Taste of a lot of citrus rind with peaches packed together with grapefruit and some underlining mango. Not sure what the humidor brings out in this other than a nice cedar punch in the middle followed by a light malty finish. Carb is high and felt and welcomed, a medium bodied beer with great drinkability and character. (625 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +14.2%

appearance: I was in a dark bar but I know it had a dark complexion. maybe with some reddish garnet glows.

smell: herby and earhty, sublte aromas, can't smell the cedar

taste: very intresting and extremely complex. Definitly can taste the cedar. nice.... an earthy woody flavors with some flowery pungency. lots of herbal goodness that I can't describe.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: I admit I thought this was going to suck. Pretty sure this is my first gruit. very impressed. I would seek this out and try again. (528 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -11.3%

I bought this bottle in Orlando last week, now trying it at home. The label says "BATCH #2010-GRUIT-02".

The beer pours a hazy light copper color with a thin and transient froth. It smells like cedar, can't describe any other aromas in this. The taste is kind of peppery and tart, whatever herbs were used in place of hops definitely bittered it. I can't place any herbs. Well carbonated, medium bodied, but still weird beer.

My least favorite from Cigar City, maybe an expression of creative freedom for them but not very satisfying for me. I suspected as much when I bought it, and only my commitment to variety compelled me to purchase this over an extra bottle of Humidor Jai Alai. Definitely would have been happier with more of that beer instead. (755 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +11.3%

From 750 mL bottle to wine glass. Batch #2010-GRUIT-02. The ABV isn't listed on the bottle but the Cigar City website and BA indicate 5.5%. Consumed on 5/15/10 by way of LIVEFAST's trading efforts and great generosity.

I've never had a gruit before, so my basis for comparison is non-existent. Take my review however you'd like...

A: The nearly white head is spare and fades quickly to a semi long lasting collar. The body is muddy with medium saturation of tawny orange color.

S & T: The nose is nearly olfactory overload. I can't stick my nose deep enough into the glass to even begin to dissect the aromas. It is complex. Cedar could not be more distinguished. And it lends itself well to the rest of the aromas and flavors. Fermented fruit (don't ask me which), sulfur (rotten eggs - although I notice this description isn't in anyone else's review), with spicy and herbal qualities. There is a definite funkiness but not in the traditional barnyard/horse blanket kind of way. Given the impact of cedar aging, I honestly didn't miss the lack of hops at all. Expertly done in that regard.

M: The mouthfeel was surprisingly light and thin but the level and type of carbonation was perfect. Very much like sparkling mineral water and somewhere in between lively and fizzy.

D: The drinkability might suffer if this beer wasn't so damn interesting. (We flew through the bottle.) And it won't be rated highly by those who are turned off by flavors that deviate from the norm of fermented beverages. This beer certainly isn't beautiful in the traditional sense of the word... but it's got personality out the wazoo, and that is good enough for me. It is refreshing to experience a beer so different than anything else I've ever had. Quite unique. (1,748 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -14%

A: Pours a orangish hue with a small white head. Lite retention and some spots of lace.

S: Very earthy, the juniper is there with strong notes of twigs earth, and pepper.

T: Peppery and earthy. The juniper is not really berry like, its sort of muddy to me. There are hints of sweetness. I have had this one several times trying to put a finger on it, but I just can't. I don't dig it no matter how hard I try. I knew there had to be one CCB beer I would not like, and this is it.

M: Medium in body ample carbonation.

D: Not really. I don't dig it. (551 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my La Chouffe tulip glass. Pours a pale and semi-hazy golden color, fizzy, and provides a decent frothy off-white head, but dissipates relatively quickly. No real lacing to speak of...just a couple random quick sliding fizzy bubbles.

Aroma is very unique. It's very odd to say the least. Sharp, spicy, funky, oak, fruit reminds me of apricot. No booze in the nose from what I can tell.

Flavor is also very unique. I've never had a beer quite like this. While the carbonation is high...mouthfeel is light and airy. Tons of cedar/woodsy like funkiness...spices kind of remind me of a Pumpkin beer. This is a love/hate beer for me. It's very cool and different, but at the same time it's not really my style...but glad I got the chance to try it! (777 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Mr Beery's in Sarasota.

Pours a cloudy amber/brown in color without much of a head.

The aroma is a love it/hate it kind of thing. It's very funky. Mark, Mr. Beery's proprietor, said it smells like gym socks, and that's not an inaccurate description. You couldn't be blamed for thinking this smelled like something went wrong with the batch.

The taste is funky, but not as much as the aroma, with lots of "matured" fruit and spice flavors. The taste of cedar is also quite noticeable, but not as much as in other Cigar City Humidor beers. Instead it mixes very well with the other complex flavors. Almost no bitterness, but it's not sweet, either.

This beer is easy to drink. I guess you could call it extreme, but not in a way that keeps you from wanting another.

I really liked this beer. I've never had anything like it. Seek it out. It's worth a special trip. (877 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -13.7%

Stopped into Cigar City during a business trip and picked up 2 bottles of this brew. Had a small sample while I was there and it seemed interesting. For $9/bottle the price wasn't too bad.

Pours a opaque unfiltered cider like color with a surprisingly big head that quickly dissappears.
The aroma is all cedar. Too much in my opinion. Not unlike the cedar aroma you get from the Jai Alai Humidor Series beer (minus the hops of course). Slight herb aroma as well.
The taste is hard describe as this beer is like no other I have ever really had before. The cedar is present but not as hard core as in the nose. Lager like taste. Woody from the cedar. Strange herb flavor as well. Slight bitterness at the end.
Mouthfeel is light/medium.
So, maybe gruits aren't my style and I have never judged one before but this is just ok in my opinion. Might me just a touch too much cedar for me. (884 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -41.1%

This is from Batch: 2010-Gruit-02

A: Dark Copper in color with a finger thick head that lasts a decent while.

S: Cedar! like wood shop/cathedral in scent. Piney/resiny

T: Very sharply tangy with a some sourness. Imagine drinking cedar sap and chasing it with lacker. Too intense for my taste.

MF: Pretty Dry with minimal carbonation.

D: I will only have nightmares of this beer. Thank God they discovered hops. Not for the faint. Interesting in that I can say I've tried an ancient style beer though. (505 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +3%

Somebody shared this at DLD. I didn't make note of who at the time, and it was probably around 4pm, so I was pretty toasted. I did make some beer notes though and am reviewing from those.

This beer pours a nice slightly hazy golden-orange color with a considerable white head and good lacing.

Aroma is very cedary with lots of spices - ginger especially - along with some sweet malt.

The flavor is cedar city (isn't that a place in Utah?). Interestingly, the cedar takes the place of hops quite nicely. Lots of spices as well, with ginger and juniper standing out, along with black pepper and sweet malt in the background.

Medium-bodied and fairly slick on the mouthfeel with average carbonation.

Good for the style overall. Drinkable. (740 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a deep honey color with a decent off-white head. Head falls fairly slow to nothing. No real lace to speak of.

Not the best smell. I guess that's why the guys at Cigar City say to drink it before you smell it.

Taste is of sweet, mild malts. Taste is much better than the aroma. I quite like it actually.

Thin yet smooth in the mouth with mild carbonation.

This is a very easy drinking beer in my opinion. You must go into it knowing you are drinking a gruit, with that knowledge and an open mind you just may love it. (530 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured at the roo in to a unibroue tulip

Smell is primarily cedar and tobacco. Good but I can't smell the base beer. Taste is really good. Cedar and some light sweet tartness. Very different.

Dry mouthfeel leaves me wanting more and makes it very drinkable. No booze taste at all. (283 characters)

A gruit. Hmm. I have not had one of these in a long, long time and the fact that they are billing it as different has me even more intrigued. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/27/2010.

The pour was very nicely done. A dark amber, light brown color with some nice highlights of honey mixed in throughout. A small, and fleeting head that stayed on top for a brief second makes and appearance and then quickly fades off. Still though nice overall presentation. Aroma is very woodsy, lots of note4s of berries, grasses, hints of smoke notes as well coming though now. First sip is odd, nice, but off. Twigs and grass coming through, honey, wheat, touches of light bready notes as well. Interesting mix of flavors here. Warming really sweetens it up with lots of honey and nice notes of bready flavors. Nice medium body with a decent hint of carbonation to it.

Overall one of the odder things I have had recently but I do think it works. Would not have an issue with trying this one again one day. (1,030 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%

Slight yellowish orange with a nice head.

Smells of cedar and yeast. It's a bit less colorful than some descriptions I've heard.

Tastes of cedar and a slight sweetness. Pretty good, but something is missing. Oh, yea, hops.

Nice light feeling in the mouth with decent carbonation.

This is an interesting brew. It's like Humidor Jai Alai, minus the Jai Alai. It's cedary and yeasty, yet drinkable. (399 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +10.8%

I am pleasantly surprised by the taste of this beer. I don't really know what I was expecting, but probably something with strange heavy flavors, possibly medicinal tasting. My limited experience with the Gruit has primarily been with strange herb-laden concoctions that range from tasting like Ricola cough drops, to a shandy with Sleepytime Tea.

This brew is a pleasant and light brew; a great summer brew, very floral and inviting. The cedar works very well in place of the hop, but it isn't intense like the Humidor IPA, for example.

A - It looks a lot like Jai-Alai, but a few shades lighter and with much less foam or lacing.

S - The smell is very heather-y and floral; the naked cedar treatment apparently brings out the aromatic Grape-Nuts quality in the barley.

T - Very mild, it tastes like it was brewed with the freshest spring water. Again, the cedar is exceptionally reserved, contributing an earthy and herbal quality that balances delicately with the subtly rich malt. This is not intended as a palette-wrecking RIS or DIPA, and so the minor and understated flavor is very well-placed.

M - The feel is good, but the beer doesn't seem to hold its carbonation as long as a hopped beer will; I am not a Gruit expert, so I don't know why.

D - I could crush a ton of this stuff on these hot Florida days. (1,321 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast