Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: Gtreid on 04-10-2010)

Pours an nice bright golden orange color with minimal head. Scent is of gin/juniper blended with light tropical fruits like mango, guava and a touch of citrus. Some spices linger in the background, very herbal and tea like. Taste is very unique, combines the above mentiones falvors into an almost tropical gin cocktail. The pepper and spices come through in the end to change the direction of the beer. Medium bodied, very light carbonation. A great intro into the style.

rfgetz, Jun 06, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

On draft at Capone's.

Pours a cloudy golden tangerine color with golden orange edges when held to a light source and a frothy, soapy white two finger head. Excellent retention only slowly fading into a lasting ring that coats the glass with chunky, soapy lacing.

Spicy herbal aroma with a decent amount of cedar as well as some lght fruit and peppery spice. Slghtly medicinal smellng and unlike any beer I've had before.

Medium body with a slight funky tartness comlimenting the herbal/medicinal notes from the now. Zesty with some peppery spice yet floral at the same time witu crisp light fruit notes. Hints of tangerine and orange peel. Slightly lactc creaminess adds to the incredible complexity. The smokey tobacco flavor from the cedar is evident but not overpowering, allowng the other flavors to shine through. One of th most unique beers I've ever tried. Recommends!

corby112, Jun 05, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +12.2%

On tap at capone's for beer week 2010, I love this city and the burbs.

Cedar aged gruit from florida comes out the tap looking bright copper orange with a bit of haze. A bit of bubbles on top, no stick. Smelling peach with a slap of tart on top with some other þcitrus abound, a nice floral hoppiness. Taste of a lot of citrus rind with peaches packed together with grapefruit and some underlining mango. Not sure what the humidor brings out in this other than a nice cedar punch in the middle followed by a light malty finish. Carb is high and felt and welcomed, a medium bodied beer with great drinkability and character.

BARFLYB, Jun 05, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +15.7%

appearance: I was in a dark bar but I know it had a dark complexion. maybe with some reddish garnet glows.

smell: herby and earhty, sublte aromas, can't smell the cedar

taste: very intresting and extremely complex. Definitly can taste the cedar. nice.... an earthy woody flavors with some flowery pungency. lots of herbal goodness that I can't describe.

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: I admit I thought this was going to suck. Pretty sure this is my first gruit. very impressed. I would seek this out and try again.

CampusCrew, Jun 01, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -12.2%

I bought this bottle in Orlando last week, now trying it at home. The label says "BATCH #2010-GRUIT-02".

The beer pours a hazy light copper color with a thin and transient froth. It smells like cedar, can't describe any other aromas in this. The taste is kind of peppery and tart, whatever herbs were used in place of hops definitely bittered it. I can't place any herbs. Well carbonated, medium bodied, but still weird beer.

My least favorite from Cigar City, maybe an expression of creative freedom for them but not very satisfying for me. I suspected as much when I bought it, and only my commitment to variety compelled me to purchase this over an extra bottle of Humidor Jai Alai. Definitely would have been happier with more of that beer instead.

TurdFurgison, May 31, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +13%

From 750 mL bottle to wine glass. Batch #2010-GRUIT-02. The ABV isn't listed on the bottle but the Cigar City website and BA indicate 5.5%. Consumed on 5/15/10 by way of LIVEFAST's trading efforts and great generosity.

I've never had a gruit before, so my basis for comparison is non-existent. Take my review however you'd like...

A: The nearly white head is spare and fades quickly to a semi long lasting collar. The body is muddy with medium saturation of tawny orange color.

S & T: The nose is nearly olfactory overload. I can't stick my nose deep enough into the glass to even begin to dissect the aromas. It is complex. Cedar could not be more distinguished. And it lends itself well to the rest of the aromas and flavors. Fermented fruit (don't ask me which), sulfur (rotten eggs - although I notice this description isn't in anyone else's review), with spicy and herbal qualities. There is a definite funkiness but not in the traditional barnyard/horse blanket kind of way. Given the impact of cedar aging, I honestly didn't miss the lack of hops at all. Expertly done in that regard.

M: The mouthfeel was surprisingly light and thin but the level and type of carbonation was perfect. Very much like sparkling mineral water and somewhere in between lively and fizzy.

D: The drinkability might suffer if this beer wasn't so damn interesting. (We flew through the bottle.) And it won't be rated highly by those who are turned off by flavors that deviate from the norm of fermented beverages. This beer certainly isn't beautiful in the traditional sense of the word... but it's got personality out the wazoo, and that is good enough for me. It is refreshing to experience a beer so different than anything else I've ever had. Quite unique.

FeDUBBELFIST, May 28, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -14.1%

A: Pours a orangish hue with a small white head. Lite retention and some spots of lace.

S: Very earthy, the juniper is there with strong notes of twigs earth, and pepper.

T: Peppery and earthy. The juniper is not really berry like, its sort of muddy to me. There are hints of sweetness. I have had this one several times trying to put a finger on it, but I just can't. I don't dig it no matter how hard I try. I knew there had to be one CCB beer I would not like, and this is it.

M: Medium in body ample carbonation.

D: Not really. I don't dig it.

tpd975, May 26, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my La Chouffe tulip glass. Pours a pale and semi-hazy golden color, fizzy, and provides a decent frothy off-white head, but dissipates relatively quickly. No real lacing to speak of...just a couple random quick sliding fizzy bubbles.

Aroma is very unique. It's very odd to say the least. Sharp, spicy, funky, oak, fruit reminds me of apricot. No booze in the nose from what I can tell.

Flavor is also very unique. I've never had a beer quite like this. While the carbonation is high...mouthfeel is light and airy. Tons of cedar/woodsy like funkiness...spices kind of remind me of a Pumpkin beer. This is a love/hate beer for me. It's very cool and different, but at the same time it's not really my style...but glad I got the chance to try it!

ShadesOfGray, May 21, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Mr Beery's in Sarasota.

Pours a cloudy amber/brown in color without much of a head.

The aroma is a love it/hate it kind of thing. It's very funky. Mark, Mr. Beery's proprietor, said it smells like gym socks, and that's not an inaccurate description. You couldn't be blamed for thinking this smelled like something went wrong with the batch.

The taste is funky, but not as much as the aroma, with lots of "matured" fruit and spice flavors. The taste of cedar is also quite noticeable, but not as much as in other Cigar City Humidor beers. Instead it mixes very well with the other complex flavors. Almost no bitterness, but it's not sweet, either.

This beer is easy to drink. I guess you could call it extreme, but not in a way that keeps you from wanting another.

I really liked this beer. I've never had anything like it. Seek it out. It's worth a special trip.

Shaw, May 19, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -13.5%

Stopped into Cigar City during a business trip and picked up 2 bottles of this brew. Had a small sample while I was there and it seemed interesting. For $9/bottle the price wasn't too bad.

Pours a opaque unfiltered cider like color with a surprisingly big head that quickly dissappears.
The aroma is all cedar. Too much in my opinion. Not unlike the cedar aroma you get from the Jai Alai Humidor Series beer (minus the hops of course). Slight herb aroma as well.
The taste is hard describe as this beer is like no other I have ever really had before. The cedar is present but not as hard core as in the nose. Lager like taste. Woody from the cedar. Strange herb flavor as well. Slight bitterness at the end.
Mouthfeel is light/medium.
So, maybe gruits aren't my style and I have never judged one before but this is just ok in my opinion. Might me just a touch too much cedar for me.

kbutler1, May 18, 2010
2.15/5  rDev -41.9%

This is from Batch: 2010-Gruit-02

A: Dark Copper in color with a finger thick head that lasts a decent while.

S: Cedar! like wood shop/cathedral in scent. Piney/resiny

T: Very sharply tangy with a some sourness. Imagine drinking cedar sap and chasing it with lacker. Too intense for my taste.

MF: Pretty Dry with minimal carbonation.

D: I will only have nightmares of this beer. Thank God they discovered hops. Not for the faint. Interesting in that I can say I've tried an ancient style beer though.

rmolledo, May 18, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Somebody shared this at DLD. I didn't make note of who at the time, and it was probably around 4pm, so I was pretty toasted. I did make some beer notes though and am reviewing from those.

This beer pours a nice slightly hazy golden-orange color with a considerable white head and good lacing.

Aroma is very cedary with lots of spices - ginger especially - along with some sweet malt.

The flavor is cedar city (isn't that a place in Utah?). Interestingly, the cedar takes the place of hops quite nicely. Lots of spices as well, with ginger and juniper standing out, along with black pepper and sweet malt in the background.

Medium-bodied and fairly slick on the mouthfeel with average carbonation.

Good for the style overall. Drinkable.

nickd717, May 06, 2010
3.7/5  rDev 0%

Pours a deep honey color with a decent off-white head. Head falls fairly slow to nothing. No real lace to speak of.

Not the best smell. I guess that's why the guys at Cigar City say to drink it before you smell it.

Taste is of sweet, mild malts. Taste is much better than the aroma. I quite like it actually.

Thin yet smooth in the mouth with mild carbonation.

This is a very easy drinking beer in my opinion. You must go into it knowing you are drinking a gruit, with that knowledge and an open mind you just may love it.

dstc, May 05, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured at the roo in to a unibroue tulip

Smell is primarily cedar and tobacco. Good but I can't smell the base beer. Taste is really good. Cedar and some light sweet tartness. Very different.

Dry mouthfeel leaves me wanting more and makes it very drinkable. No booze taste at all.

aubuc1, Apr 30, 2010

A gruit. Hmm. I have not had one of these in a long, long time and the fact that they are billing it as different has me even more intrigued. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 04/27/2010.

The pour was very nicely done. A dark amber, light brown color with some nice highlights of honey mixed in throughout. A small, and fleeting head that stayed on top for a brief second makes and appearance and then quickly fades off. Still though nice overall presentation. Aroma is very woodsy, lots of note4s of berries, grasses, hints of smoke notes as well coming though now. First sip is odd, nice, but off. Twigs and grass coming through, honey, wheat, touches of light bready notes as well. Interesting mix of flavors here. Warming really sweetens it up with lots of honey and nice notes of bready flavors. Nice medium body with a decent hint of carbonation to it.

Overall one of the odder things I have had recently but I do think it works. Would not have an issue with trying this one again one day.

mikesgroove, Apr 29, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +2.2%

Slight yellowish orange with a nice head.

Smells of cedar and yeast. It's a bit less colorful than some descriptions I've heard.

Tastes of cedar and a slight sweetness. Pretty good, but something is missing. Oh, yea, hops.

Nice light feeling in the mouth with decent carbonation.

This is an interesting brew. It's like Humidor Jai Alai, minus the Jai Alai. It's cedary and yeasty, yet drinkable.

RomaniIteDomum, Apr 20, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +11.6%

I am pleasantly surprised by the taste of this beer. I don't really know what I was expecting, but probably something with strange heavy flavors, possibly medicinal tasting. My limited experience with the Gruit has primarily been with strange herb-laden concoctions that range from tasting like Ricola cough drops, to a shandy with Sleepytime Tea.

This brew is a pleasant and light brew; a great summer brew, very floral and inviting. The cedar works very well in place of the hop, but it isn't intense like the Humidor IPA, for example.

A - It looks a lot like Jai-Alai, but a few shades lighter and with much less foam or lacing.

S - The smell is very heather-y and floral; the naked cedar treatment apparently brings out the aromatic Grape-Nuts quality in the barley.

T - Very mild, it tastes like it was brewed with the freshest spring water. Again, the cedar is exceptionally reserved, contributing an earthy and herbal quality that balances delicately with the subtly rich malt. This is not intended as a palette-wrecking RIS or DIPA, and so the minor and understated flavor is very well-placed.

M - The feel is good, but the beer doesn't seem to hold its carbonation as long as a hopped beer will; I am not a Gruit expert, so I don't know why.

D - I could crush a ton of this stuff on these hot Florida days.

ktrillionaire, Apr 16, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Really didn't know what to expect from this one. An ancient gruit brewed with cigar box cedar in place of hops.

A: Murky tan orange color. A big, pillowy, two finger white head appeared, then faded, and left some spotty lace.

A: Man this is different. Earthy vegetables, maybe carrots and celery. Rice and corn are appereant as well. But I get the distinct cedar the most, it's just like sticking your nose in a cigar box.

T: Taste is very comprable to the nose. I get notes of carrot and other root vegetables, with base 2-row, and of course the cedar. The beer finishes extremely smooth with absolutley no bitterness.

M: Really nice here. Medium body and nice carbonation. Very rich on the palate.

D and overall impression: Drinkability gets a bit of a lower score here. I don't quite think this is my style of beer. Overall, I can really appriciate what CCB was trying to do here. I mean, a beer with no hops, I never thought I would ever have one of those. But, I can say one pint was enough. Really glad I got to try it, but probably won't revisit. Skal.

Gtreid, Apr 10, 2010