Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)Gedanken Gruit - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: Gtreid on 04-10-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
3.1/5  rDev -16.2%

Really didn't know what to expect from this one. An ancient gruit brewed with cigar box cedar in place of hops.

A: Murky tan orange color. A big, pillowy, two finger white head appeared, then faded, and left some spotty lace.

A: Man this is different. Earthy vegetables, maybe carrots and celery. Rice and corn are appereant as well. But I get the distinct cedar the most, it's just like sticking your nose in a cigar box.

T: Taste is very comprable to the nose. I get notes of carrot and other root vegetables, with base 2-row, and of course the cedar. The beer finishes extremely smooth with absolutley no bitterness.

M: Really nice here. Medium body and nice carbonation. Very rich on the palate.

D and overall impression: Drinkability gets a bit of a lower score here. I don't quite think this is my style of beer. Overall, I can really appriciate what CCB was trying to do here. I mean, a beer with no hops, I never thought I would ever have one of those. But, I can say one pint was enough. Really glad I got to try it, but probably won't revisit. Skal.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last