110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA - Cigar City Brewing

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2010

Ratings: 144 | Reviews: 113
1.06/5  rDev -67.5%

Ap- cloudy copper, next to no head. No retention. Cloudy.

Ar - sweet, like an old ale. Slightly oxidized? Caramel and bready. Very thick smell. No hops at all.

T - very sweet, cloying even. A little cardboard. No hop flavor at all. Really pretty gross.

M - lightly carbed. Heavyish body. flavor is so bad it's distracting.

O - pretty much awful. Drain pour for sure. There is nothing about this beer that says IPA. It's sweet, cloying, and undrinkable with no hop presence. I don't know what the guys from Cigar City were thinking with this, I usually love their stuff. Avoid this beer.

1.64/5  rDev -49.7%

Shared at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Thanks to whoever brought it!

A: Slight hazy orange-ish hue. Medium-small sized head that leaves a few traces of lacing on the glass.

S: This is NOT an IPA. Not by any standards. Heavy malt, little to no hop presence.

T: The taste is even more disappointing than the aroma. The beer is way too sweet, with no hops, citrus, floral, or anything else that might be used as a descriptor of a tasty American DIPA. As far as style, this beer gets a WTF rating. There is nothing right about this beer and everything wrong. The taste is odd, off, and overly sweet. The flavor is more like a barleywine gone wrong than anything. Ick...

M: Cloying from the first drop. Awful.

D: I'm grateful for the opportunity to have tried this beer, as I was really looking forward to it. However, it was plain awful. Drain, meet beer.

1.76/5  rDev -46%

Nickd717 opened this one. Thanks!

Amber hued and quite hazy, this beer pours with a finger of off-white head that quickly settles to a collar. It has a chewy, viscous appearance. The aroma has a massive caramel character, sweet and rich with a light grapefruit hop note behind it. This smells like it's going to be pretty cloying, and surely enough, it is. Intensely sweet, you can almost feel the sugar sticking to your teeth. It's moderately hoppy, there's a touch of candied grapefruit and pine, but the malt character is simple, dominant and cloying. This is exactly how I don't like my IPAs, pretty awful stuff.

1.9/5  rDev -41.7%

A - Pours a cloudy orange-copper with a thin white haze on the surface. Looks a bit thick, syrupy, and under-carbonated.
S - Very sweet smelling with tons of caramel and dark honey malt, along with some pineapple and mandarin orange hop aromas. I don't think I'm gonna like this, not what I want in an IPA at all...
T - Yeah, I hate this. Cloyingly sweet caramel malt with some canned pineapple and orange peel. Slight bitter grapefruit finish, and a whole bunch of alcohol. Messy and sweet.
M - Thick, viscous and syrupy with very low, almost flat, carbonation.
D - Drainpour. I hated this beer, and I'm starting to think I'll never be a fan of Cigar City's IPA offerings.

1.93/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured a nice burnt orange/gold color with 1 finger of head of head and nice retention.

Aroma is of raisins and brown sugar. Can't really detect much hop character. Overall the smell is not bad, but it is not an IPA aroma.

Ok this stuff is just plain bad. I do not detect a hop presence. Malty, sweet, syrupy, raisins, brown sugar, more sweetness. Tastes like a blend of orange soda and prune juice.

This was very sticky and sweet and too thick for this level of sweetness.

Drinkability was obviously not good. I drank only a few sips before this became a drain pour. Someone brought me a bottle some time later. I gave it a second chance and it seemed even worse than the first time.

1.95/5  rDev -40.2%

Poured into a snifter. Little to no head. The color is deep orange/copper hue. The aroma is of alcohol, juicy/fruity hops, and citrus/rose hips. The taste is alcohol throughout. Then there is some bitteress that tries to poke through. A LOT of unferemnted sugars that do no good for this brew. The hop oil just coats our tongue; like hop syrup. The body is big and full with no carbonation. I shared this with a buddy during the first quarter of the national championship game and neither of us went for a second pour. CCB missed on this one.

2.02/5  rDev -38%

Murky tea-orange with a thin set of beige bubbles after the pour. Nose of heavy orange and grapefruit, marshmallow sweetness and a lightly woody ethanol. Ultra sweet flavor, grapefruit and slight tea. Sticky, cloying palate, carbonation minimal. A synthetic experience, extremely boring yet nearly undrinkable. Easily the worst IIPA I've had, the equivalent of a screwdriver with three spoons of sugar.

2.09/5  rDev -35.9%

A - Medium brown/reddish orange color. Quick fading white head. Lots of lacing and slightly unfiltered.

S - I was taken by surprise on this one since it's supposed to be a DIPA because there is hardly any hop aroma but a lot of residual malt sugar and fruit juice-like aroma. Strange....

T - After a sip my concerns for this beer not being a DIPA were justified. There is ZERO hop flavor but a lot of super sweet candy flavor, oranges, and caramelized sugar.

M/D - Medium to heavy body that is pretty much the density of watered down pancake syrup. Way under carbonated and finishes way too sweet. A little hard to drink this one because of the sweetness and weird sugar flavors.

First beer from CCB that I have tried and I was not impressed at all. Calling this beer a DIPA is just wrong.

2.12/5  rDev -35%

It's my fault I thought this was a stout, but I was ready for a DIPA as soon as I started pouring (excited actually because Jai Alai is so good). Not much carbonation at all. Then on to the smell: Typical East coast malt bomb but worse; just really unbalanced. The smell and taste is VERY VERY sweet and syrupy, more so than some barleywines I've had. Where's the hops? Big disappointment that is getting drain poured right after I click "review". Stick to RISs CCB. I loved Hunahpus and Zhukovs. Compared to the rest of the "best of American Double / Imperial IPAs", this is terrible.

2.16/5  rDev -33.7%

Poured into a snifter on 9/29/10

Courtesy of PDXHops

A slow-to-rise, one finger head sits atop a dense amber, copper colored beer that looks somewhat murky. Head retention is decent, blending smooth foam & bubbles. Decent lace to start. Granular lace throughout.

Wow, this critter smells like a sugar-bomb. Candied malts, caramel & such. I find the aroma to be reminiscent of DFH 120 Minute with a sweet, alcohol heat laden, sherry-like nose. It's also has some chemical cleaner notions; though not overly harsh, it is potent. The hops seem lost in the mess, leaving a vague penchant for floral overtones.

The taste is very similar to the nose & reminds me of a toned down 120 Minute. Very sugary without much hop offset. Bitterness is at a minimum. Nail polish remover alcohol heat, near-cloying flavors of candied malts & darker sugars intermingle with sparse hints of dark fruits. Even as a barleywine this would be way too sweet. Industry-inspired chemical burn toward the finish.

This beer is full bodied & very heavy. The sugars seem to have a sticky, grainy underpinning, while the alcohol heat adds a slick counterpoint. The two viscosities never seem at ease with each other. Rather low carbonation. The finish is rough; cloying sugars linger long after the finish. Thankfully the abv doesn't strike me as more than 10%.

Drinkability is "meh" at best. I worked on it for a while but only finished about 2/3rds. If Cigar City intended to make this beer as obnoxious as its supposed namesake, then I'd wager they have succeded.

2.17/5  rDev -33.4%

Bottle from Über generous MCLK...

Pour a rich amber color with little head...

smells... like a malt bomb, they call this a west coast IPA? Wha?

tastes... like a malt bomb, this is NOT a west coast IPA. Tastes like a bad homebrew attempt. Malty, sweet, carmel, mapley... I taste no hops at all... isnt that the backbone of an IPA? yeesh.

Mouthfeel... little carbonation, thick molasses feel...

I dont like this... seems like a failed homebrew attempt, so they just threw it in a bottle and sold it. how they can call this a west coast IPA is laughable. It is a pathetic attempt. Cigar City is a great beer, but this is a fail.

2.18/5  rDev -33.1%

A - Burnt orange color with a small head that didn't leave much behind. Fairly unremarkable in its look.

S - Really sweet, carmel, followed by some rotted hops smell and some burnt sugar. This smells somewhat unpleasant, don't care a whole lot fo it.

T - Wow, this tastes horrid. Burnt sugar, sweet carmel malts, rotted grapefruit, floral hops, bad tea. Basically a multitude of things that don't necessarily taste good and definately don't taste good together. This is really bad.

M - Medium bodied, a little syrupy. Moderate carbonation.

D - Ugh, couldn't really get a ton of this down, although I think it might be not quite as bad as I rate it, as I don't like sweet stuff.

2.18/5  rDev -33.1%

Not sure who brought this one, thanks for the opportunity to try this though. I do love a good IPA. Beer poured into a snifter.

Beer is almost red and has nearly no head. The head that is there is medium and large bubbles that cling to the interface between the glass and the liquid and somehow manages to leave some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low.

Aroma is that of a very young barleywine, that is to say that this is a malt bomb. No real hop presence other than the incident hops that may have been in the same building while the boiling was taking place.

Oh gross. Me no likey. This beer is syrupy stick sweet on my tongue. There is no room for anything else in the palate as it is overwhelmed with a diabetes inducing sugar shock to my system. At least it finished quickly before the spike in insulin damaged my nerves. No thank you. This beer turned out to be about as appetizing as the hairy chest of the man on the label.

2.22/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer looks like a hazy orange IPA with a moderate sized white head that leaves behind some lace. It smells like burnt sugars with rotting vegetable matter and smelly hops. I don't like the taste much better and it is kind of hard to drink. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer and i don't understand the name at all. Pass.

2.23/5  rDev -31.6%

Ah, the backlog of cellphone reviews. I've hit the maximum, so time to start entering. Consumed summer 2010.

shared w/ portia99, fluffymctingle, and mr. jlindros, I do believe.

A- Caramel amber on the pour with a moderate head. Some pretty sticky lacing, but it's spotty.

S- Wow, sugar-coated hops. Sweet caramel and vanilla.

T- Is this a barleywine? Hops are there, but this is a malty malty malty beer. Too sweet- like someone stirred in a spoonful of sugar. Hops take the backseat- I even lose sight of them at some points. Some nice fruit flavors but they're fleeting and replaced with an overall sugar bomb taste.

M- Thick, syrupy, heavy. Lingering sweetness hurts my teeth. OK, maybe not, but this stuff is sweet.

O- Did not finish. This is a pretty bad DIPA- too sweet to enjoy. I really have to have a bad impression to drainpour a DIPA...

2.26/5  rDev -30.7%

Unfortunately, this beer is listed a double IPA, so i must review it as such.

AP- Dark gold in collors with a slight haze either from the yeast or the chill.

A-No hop aroma at all. Sweat malt with an almost orange jelly nose. For an IPA i keep asking myself where are the hops?

T- Taste is very similar to that of the aroma. Very sweet. Possible under attenuated, lots of residual sugars in this one.

M- Sticking and Syrupy. Had to drink a whole glass of water to clear this one.

O- might make a nice barley wine in a few years. but most defiantly not an Double/Imperial IPA. Absolutely no hops in this one at all.

2.4/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Very low carbonation I couldn't even raise any type of head out of it. Lacing doesn't stick at all. Looks like syrupy liquid in my glass. A turbid amber hue. Smells very sweet and boozy. Caramel and floral hops blend well into the aroma. Taste is hot, sweet and malty. Perfume-esque/floral hops linger on the tongue. I was disappointed in this one. I expected something much different yet was surprised with something very different. I like the uniqueness in this DIPA but I'm not really feeling it overall.

2.4/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a bottle.

Pours a murky burnt orange with a thin slightly off white head.

One sniff into the glass reveals an aroma that I can only compare to a V8 Fusion. It is an eerie bouquet of fruit and veggies.

The nose is a fair indicator of taste. Hops seem to be an afterthought compared to the massive raisin flavor. There is also a note of carrots that somehow found their way into this beer. I'm reminded of carrot raisin salads made popular by the like of Chik-fil-a and other southern chicken purveyors.

This brew was a little hard to finish. I almost want to believe that labeling it an
imperial IPA was a disservice to the beer itself.

2.44/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a cloudy orange with minimal head and a bit of lacing on the glass. a slight floral nose with a bit of malts, but really not much else for a big IPA. Some bitter hops and way to much of sweet maltiness for me. Almost a syrup bomb that was not very pleasant to my liking. Hard to finish a 6 oz pour.

2.44/5  rDev -25.2%

Hand-delivered to Indiana from Gainesville by gguzman. Thank you, Greg!

A: Medium golden amber. Very nice head formation and retention. Looks beautiful in the glass.

S: Some hoppiness, but there is a sweet malt overpowering the hops. Smells like a barleywine before it has been properly aged.

T: Extremely sticky-sweet. Hardly any hops flavor can get past the candy-like sweetness.

M: Stickiness continues. It has good body and carbonation, but the sticky finish wrecks it.

D: Drain poured it after two sips.

2.48/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pint glass pours a orange hue with a minimal head that leaves no lace on the glass. Smell is very sweet like nectar, with hints of light sweet molasses. Taste?, where is the hops on this beer it is all sweet with no malt and hop finish, like drinking tropical fruit nectar. Overall this has to be one of the dissapointing beers that I have had from this great brewer, drain pour.

2.52/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Slips out a hazed, amber-hued body with a delightfully frothy, long lasting, off-white head.

Smell: Prominently sweet-smelling aroma, with notes of candied citrus peels, sugar-coated berries, and a fruit cocktail tossed with caramel served up with a tall shot glass of liquor.

Taste: The first sip ushers in a hard, sugary sweetness that never lets up. Sadly, any malt complexity is simply buried underneath the raw sweetness. A sip of concentrated fruit juices, some tropical, some citrusy, and some tasting of strawberries. A small splash of pine-scented cleaner. Essentially no bitterness at all. The finish has ample alcoholic heat and an unyielding, cloying simple syrup character to it. Yeesh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: An altogether coarse brew with its heavy sweetness and alcohol. I wonder what happened here. Quite a letdown, this one, and a real surprise coming from Cigar City. I suppose the moral is: nobody's perfect.

2.56/5  rDev -21.5%

750 ml capped bomber into a couple of tulip glasses. Batch #3. Thanks go to Jw347 for this in a recent trade.

Pours a hazed coppery amber, with a finger cap of slightly off-white foamy head. Good flare-up here leaves back some thick and heavy lacing. The aroma is heavy in the nose with sweetness and warmth, as thick sugars and fruit control the nose. Some floral and piney character from the hops does hang on the edges but did I mention how sweet this is?

The taste is very similar, with loads of thick grainy malt that is made even sweeter by the notes of tropical fruit and heavier alcohol that are present. Hops are much more aggressive on the backend of the profile with sharp resins and spice that spread out into the mouth. Residual sweetness hangs with some heft in the finish. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with a smooth and creamy feel across the top of the mouth that then gives way to some sharpness underneath. Alcohol heat is kept to a minimum, probably because it all went into the sweetness of the profile.

I was just not a fan of this. Unbalanced, cloyingly sweet, and heavy feeling, I don't know where they went wrong with this one. I don't think that I finished even half my glass. Oh well. I'll just chalk this one up to an aberration and move on.

2.58/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Pours a muddy orange with no head regardless of a hard pour. No lacing.

S: A sweet malty aroma of caramel malts, honey, and vanilla. Very little hops.

T: Loads of sweet caramel malts, bready malts, & candy sugar. Finishes with a twinge of bitter citrus hops.

M: Full body; no carbonation; slick and oily texture.

O: Before I told my spouse what style this was, I asked him what he thought. He said American Barleywine. I totally agree! Although I liked it, I would never thought this was an DIPA. Not very well balanced, very sweet, and wouldn't recommend this for hop heads. Feel bad giving it a bad score, but this is a bad example of the style. Put that aside and I really enjoyed it.

2.68/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks for andrewinski1 for sharing this with me. Poured into the ever ready Portsmouth Brewery tulip. The color is very nice amber honey color, but it's a little cloudy in the beer. The pour gives no head and only the slightest bit of lacing sticks around. The smell reveals citrus aroma, oranges and tangerines come to mind but it is primarily the zest. All evidence of hops is trace at best. The taste is full of citrus and sweet caramel and not much hop flavor that I had expected. This is a thick beer. The mouthfeel doesn't give any carbonation I had expected from the style. It reminds me of cough syrup. At ten percent this is kind of a booze bomb and really lowers the drinkability. I'm kind of having trouble with my glass due to the hotness.

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA from Cigar City Brewing