110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA - Cigar City Brewing

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA

pDev: 24%
Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
hayesez

Indiana

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to my buddy Shold down in Tampa for shipping this up to me. Similar to one of the Hunahpu's I was sent, this guy arrived with some beer leaking out of the top. Figured I'd better crack it open ASAP. Split with a couple of friends while working on my latest backpacking trip.

A hazy butterscotch colored beer that looks pretty thick coming out of the bottle. A dense light-tan head fluffs up quickly in my Portsmouth snifter, leaving some splotchy lace on the side of my glass as it melts. By the time I'm halfway through it there is just a wispy layer of white on the surface.

This is definitely going to be a sweet IPA. Tons of candied fruit, honey, caramel and about anything else that you can conjure up that has a bunch of sugar in it. Sweet citrus coupled with some obvious booziness...especially as it warms up. I'm curious.

Everything the smell indicates is going to be in this beer is fully represented in the taste. Sweet as hell. Frankly, it toes the line of cloying a bit too tightly for my tastes. Candied malts, some tropical fruit, and a mouthful of sweet, sweet orange. Juiciness...with brown sugar. It has a taste that awakens memories of 120 Minute. I'm very surprised by the bitterness level...it's almost non-existent. Very creamy, thick, and juicy. Low carbonation combined with a syrup-like consistency gives this thing a full mouthfeel that is like drinking warmed syrup. I must admit that as this thing warmed up, it became a bit more tolerant. I'm not sure if it was because I got a little more acclimated or if it was because it mellowed a bit, but I did find myself wishing I could dump a bit more into my snifter.

Probably a good thing that I shared this one with some friends. I'm not a huge fan of anything that is overly sweet, and the batch 3 certainly falls into that category. If the sweetness could subside just a bit and let the hoppy characteristics shine a bit more, this one would be much improved. (Yes, I just used the word "sweet" eight times in one review).

Consumed: 6/16/2010

06-16-2010 05:44:20 | More by hayesez
branimal9

South Carolina

4.6/5  rDev +41.5%

Poured from a bottle shared at the Upstate BA Gathering - 6/9/2010.

Murky orange in color with little carbonation. Aroma is honey & citric sweetness, with a very nice tropical fruit-hop component as well. Flavor leads very sweet with tangerine & honey, then turns bitter, with a hoppy syrup-like texture to reign it back into balance. The low carbonation and sweetness made it taste a bit wort-like, but the interchange of tropical fruit flavor and fresh hop bitterness made it strangely drinkable. Weird...and very good.

06-15-2010 20:44:07 | More by branimal9
ktrillionaire

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

A - It pours a hazy orange hue, replete with copious off-white creamy froth, an appearance that seems an ominous harbinger of a gigantic beast of a beer.

S - Tremendous orange, tangerine, and kumquat aromas sit upon a husky honey-grain base, some alcohol twang, and a touch of cedar round out the nose.

T - This beer is a behemoth. A gigantor. A leviathan, even. The orange component is so intense that it is as if it contains a measure of fresh-squeezed orange juice. The addition of orange-blossom honey fuses with the pale malt base to create a giant pale-malt-bomb, and yet the plethora of citric-piney hops is still very bitter. Super sweet, detractingly so.

M - Huge Barleywine-like viscosity, and a very healthy dose of carbonation.

D - This is one hell of a big brew. I think this DIPA could actually be cellared, due to its blonde BW characteristics. Too sweet as is.

06-15-2010 17:20:20 | More by ktrillionaire
cpetrone84

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-pours an extremely cloudy, hazy, golden orange color with an off white head.

S-big sweetness in the nose, lots of oily resignous pine, notes of subtle orange, citrusy in the back with notes of booze.

T-extremely sweet, tons of caramel, notes of brown sugar, candied sugar. the hops take over in back, citrus, notes of orange, syrupy pine flavors, touch of banana and a light bitterness.

M-very smooth and syrupy, full bodied, low carbonation and a slightly thin finish.

D-this is extremely sweet, a little too sweet. very tasty citrus flavors and a big malt presence. huge beer with tons of flavors. very solid but not something you want a ton of.

06-14-2010 23:20:31 | More by cpetrone84
cyrusthepup

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on cask at the Brewery on release night. Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a massive off white head that slowly dissipates. Tons of lacing.

S: Tropical juice. Orange, pineapple, tangerine. I really don't get much hops in the nose due to the overwhelming sweetness.

T: Almost the same as the nose. Extremely sweet up front followed by a slight hop bitterness. I do get some booze but again, my palate is walloped by the sweetness of this.

M: Thick and syrupy. Kind of hard to get down. It's on cask so I didn't expect carbonation. My hand was sticky from the residue on the glass and my mouth felt the same.

D: Drinkability for me is low as I don't prefer overly sweet beers. Overall not a bad beer but not what I prefer for the DIPA style. I need to revisit this in the bottle/on tap to see if there is a difference.

Serving type: cask

06-14-2010 10:56:16 | More by cyrusthepup
urwithdave

4.13/5  rDev +27.1%

Finally broke a bottle out tonight after having it on cask a few times. Poured into a over sized wine glass.

A- Pours a thick,dark, cloudy, golden color. A fingers worth of off white head that sticks around only for a lil bit before it leaves a small ring. Sticky lacing left on my glass.

A- Very sweet with a ton of tropical smelling fruits. Pineapple is very dominant. Not a strong hop profile that one would expect.

T- Sweet, sweet, and sweeter. I was wondering if the sweetness was going to be as strong in the bottle after having it on cask ,and it definitely is as sweet, if not sweeter. The fruits are explosive. The pineapple in the nose is just as prevelant in taste. The malts are very strong and the hops are not as prolific as one would expect from a DIPA. With that being said, it still tastes great.

M- Thick for the style fo sure! It's almost syrupy. The finish is sweet and the carbonation is somewhat low.

D- I split this one with another person. I could have finished it off by myself, but it may have taken me a while to do so. The syrupy feel and the sweetness would def limit the drinkability of this. I wouldn't be able to stick to this all night. I'm sure some people are gonna really knock this brew, but I find it to be an interesting take on the style.

06-14-2010 05:22:48 | More by urwithdave
Reagan1984

3.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Big Props to Bhalter8 for getting me this bottle. Thanks Ben...

Poured with a very scant head that also faded rather quickly. Much to my surprise based on the head, there was plenty of lacing. The beer was a hazy/cloudy deep amber color.

Aroma was fruity and sweet. Pineapple, grape, orange and some tropical aromas.

Wow, big, sweet fruity IPA. Tons of over ripe fruit flavors including the ones mentioned above and some more. Also some honey flavor. There was this subtle grape that I got.... You do get a sense of the abv here. Bitterness on the citrus side of the spectrum.

The body was so thick, it was a bit off putting at first. Once you became accustomed to it, it was just THICK... Almost syrup like.

This was an interesting beer, and one I am glad I tried, but I'm not sure I would seek it out again.

06-13-2010 14:07:53 | More by Reagan1984
koopa

3.5/5  rDev +7.7%

750ml bottle received in a trade with a generous BA thanks MDP!

Appearance: Pours an attractive caramel sunburst with a solid 2 finger dirty butter crown that shows moderate retention and good lace.

Smell: Loads of sweetness (pineapple hop notes and caramel malt notes mainly) with some spicy hops and fresh cut grass.

Taste: Not like any DIPA I've had before. Loads of caramel and kandi sugar sweetness over medium (for a DIPA) hop bitterness. Notes of honey, orange peel, and nectar are apparent. A bit of booze warmth too.

Mouthfeel: Cloying, thick, and borderline repulsive.

Drinkability: A wrestling match.

I don't know about this one. Swing and a miss for me.

06-13-2010 01:11:02 | More by koopa
Bendurgin

Maine

2.63/5  rDev -19.1%

Thanks for andrewinski1 for sharing this with me. Poured into the ever ready Portsmouth Brewery tulip. The color is very nice amber honey color, but it's a little cloudy in the beer. The pour gives no head and only the slightest bit of lacing sticks around. The smell reveals citrus aroma, oranges and tangerines come to mind but it is primarily the zest. All evidence of hops is trace at best. The taste is full of citrus and sweet caramel and not much hop flavor that I had expected. This is a thick beer. The mouthfeel doesn't give any carbonation I had expected from the style. It reminds me of cough syrup. At ten percent this is kind of a booze bomb and really lowers the drinkability. I'm kind of having trouble with my glass due to the hotness.

06-13-2010 00:24:10 | More by Bendurgin
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +38.5%

Thrilled to be able to crack this one open. I had been hearing some interesting things about how this turned out, I for one think it is brilliant. Consumed on 06/09/2010.

The pour was thick, dark yellow color with a deep cloudiness and weight to it that could be visually seen. A hefty head of white comes up and caps the top of the glass, settling down only briefly and coating the sides with thick white lacing.

Enormous aroma is very, very sweet. Lots of candied sugar, orange Popsicle, just really sweet hops. Cannot say enough in that regard and it carries over brilliantly into the flavor as well. Super saturated with juicy, sweet and sticky hops, this one is a monster. Rich orange and tangerine notes, creamsicles, honeydew, buttery malts, just wonderful. No bitterness to it at all, in fact just the opposite as it came off really sublime. Thick feel, almost syrup like at times save for the great carbonation that it carried through. Long, long finish was again soaked with sweet notes that turned out beautifully.

Overall I was in love with this beer. Not at all what I was expecting, rather a strikingly different take on the style. I was thrilled to death to have tried this and even more so to have some more bottles. Everyone deserves a taste of this one, really just that good.

06-11-2010 00:40:14 | More by mikesgroove
WeisGuy

3.25/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

a - pours a deep burnt orange color, one finger white head with little retention and light lacing, quite hazy

s - big aroma of orange marmalade mixed with heavy doses of caramel and sweet malt and booze

t - burst of sweet orange marmalade and caramel up front with a considerable citrusy bitterness on the midpalate, lingering orange and caramel sweetness on the finish along with strong booziness on the finish

m - full-bodied with very minimal carbonation, almost syrupy, good deal of alcohol warming

d - not very drinkable between the sweetness and booziness, not all that interesting or complex either

Not a bad beer, but I just can't get into it. For just being released, there just doesn't seem to be any kind of freshness to it -- tastes more like a DIPA that's been sitting around for too long.

06-09-2010 02:44:41 | More by WeisGuy
CosmoHopHead

Kansas

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

A: pours a dark, thick copper orange with a thin, off white head. sticky lacing

S: smells sweet, more like a barley wine than a dipa. lots of caramelized sugar and candied malts. Grapefruits, mango's, pineapple are detectable but the sweetness really dominates anything else going on.

T: sweet, followed by sweet. Overly sweet imo. Lots of fruits come out but the main focus is the sweet malts and caramelized sugar. Again, more like a sweet, malty barley wine. Very little hops to speak of.

M: heavy mouthfeel, thick and chewy. medium carbonation

D: I kind of hate to say this, but this was not easy to drink. the sweetness of it was almost overwhelming. It's high abv was even a bit tame compared to the potent sweetness.

Overall, this was far from any dipa I have ever had. So much more like a very sweet, malty, sugary barley wine. I was happy to try it but wouldn't seek out again. The sweetness was just a bit too much for me.

06-07-2010 00:08:53 | More by CosmoHopHead
azorie

Had on tap at beer release at the source as they say: Was served at 55-60f on cask. The beer pouring guy poured it very nice with only about 1/2 inch of head in a nice pint sized shaker glass, no sorry ass sniffers here boys. I had 2 of these so this review is from notes in Late May 2010

A: lace lasts for about 10 minutes as I drink this one down, orange and cloudy in color. Looks like a hefe to me, good stuff.

S: ah very nice flowery pineapple citrus nose, one can tell its an DIPA, some candy sugar detected, me know I am going to like this as it NOT a hop bomb. so glad they made one I can drink too bad the HOP nuts are NOT going to enjoy this 1 that I can tell, but I have to review the bottle to know for sure. Some said it seemed like a barley wine and it did remind me of SN barley wine.

T: aah well now this is a damn fine beer and I can tell from others that are into Hoppy DIPA they are not going to like this 1.
ME I loved the fruit tart pineapple and citrus malts flavors its very balanced and seemed like a less hoppy version of hop-slam.
DID I say I loved it, ok its strong beer, but easy to drink. Sure the hops are in there and the sugar but its nice. Not much alcohol burn to it but after 1 you know you have some, can you say slight buzz I can.

M: rich, thick, no carbonation, its a cask as I expected it to be.

D: I had 2 and if I did not have to drink the 2 oak aged one next I would have 3! good stuff, I am glad now I have 2 DIPA I like, yea me.

Serving type: cask

06-02-2010 15:38:00 | More by azorie
Gtreid

3.53/5  rDev +8.6%

Bought it, chilled it, and enjoyed it at the brewery during it's release party.

A: Caramelly orange color. The pour left a good nickel size beige head that left some stringy lace.

A: This one is gonna be sweet. I get sweet caramel and candi sugar. I get a good amount of mango, pineapple, and other tropical fruits. But the malty sweetness is definately forward.

T: Wow, this one's sweet. The tropical fruits are there in a big way. Notes of pineapple, mango, orange, and tangerine. Huge caramel malts with ticky sweet candi sugar. Not at all what I was expecting from a big double IPA. It finishes sweet, but not nearly dry enough for me.

M: Full body. Probably a little to heavy on the palate. Medium to low levels of carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side here. The sweetness is really very strong. Overall, I think this could turn out to be a very respectable barleywine, but the sugary sweetness is just a little much for me. This is a very nice sipper, but not one you would want to have too many of in a sitting. Skal.

05-30-2010 19:54:36 | More by Gtreid
MasterSki

3.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to ArthurPendragon for getting a bottle of this brew into my hands before its actual release. Shared at Sean's place, and served in a Sam Adams taster pint glass.

A - Pours a murky brown-orange color with a finger of off-white foam that dissipates to a big-bubbled cap. Some spotty lacing is left behind.

S - This is not what I was expecting - smells more like a hoppy barleywine with tons of burnt sugar, honey, and caramel notes. There is a good amount of sweet citrus and a touch of dank and spice, but this is kind of a boozy sweet mess.

T - The taste verges on cloying, with a ton of candied citrus character and shockingly low bitterness for a 100 IBU beer. This actually tastes a lot like a Triple IPA homebrew I got from NewGeneric. The alcohol is better masked here, but the brew is somewhat mono-dimensional.

M - Syrupy, low carbonation, sticky, with minimal dryness or residual resin character. There is a little heat as well. A bit more carbonation would have helped keep this from getting overly heavy and cloying.

D - This was split four ways, and I think I ended drinking the most (~8oz). It was tough slugging, and the majority gave up and went back to drinking Parking Violation.

I was really excited when I heard Cigar City was doing a hoppy brew for the 100K+OT series, but this was a misfire. I went out of my way to obtain this at its freshest, but it's just not something most hopheads will dig. However, this may turn into a terrific barleywine somewhere down the road.

05-29-2010 16:55:01 | More by MasterSki
tpd975

3.95/5  rDev +21.5%

A: Pours a nice deep shade of orange with a nice off white head. Above average retention with a nice smattering of lace.

S: Holy sweetness. Tons of rock candy, Florida orange juice, honey, flower nectar, and pineapple.

T: Bold sweetness in the taste as well. About as tropical as a beer can be. Loads of pineapple and apricot. Mild peach with flashes of fresh orange juice. Honey sweetness with sweet floral notes. A mild grassiness beneath.

M: Rather full in body, bold, sweet, and smooth. This is a different sort of West Coast DIPA.

D: Not the most drinkable. It is one to sit down with and enjoy though. I had a bottle by the pool and enjoyed it quite a bit.

05-26-2010 21:02:38 | More by tpd975