110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA - Cigar City Brewing

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 05-26-2010

1.64/5  rDev -50.5%

Shared at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Thanks to whoever brought it!

A: Slight hazy orange-ish hue. Medium-small sized head that leaves a few traces of lacing on the glass.

S: This is NOT an IPA. Not by any standards. Heavy malt, little to no hop presence.

T: The taste is even more disappointing than the aroma. The beer is way too sweet, with no hops, citrus, floral, or anything else that might be used as a descriptor of a tasty American DIPA. As far as style, this beer gets a WTF rating. There is nothing right about this beer and everything wrong. The taste is odd, off, and overly sweet. The flavor is more like a barleywine gone wrong than anything. Ick...

M: Cloying from the first drop. Awful.

D: I'm grateful for the opportunity to have tried this beer, as I was really looking forward to it. However, it was plain awful. Drain, meet beer. (857 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -27.5%

Poured from a bottle.

Pours a murky burnt orange with a thin slightly off white head.

One sniff into the glass reveals an aroma that I can only compare to a V8 Fusion. It is an eerie bouquet of fruit and veggies.

The nose is a fair indicator of taste. Hops seem to be an afterthought compared to the massive raisin flavor. There is also a note of carrots that somehow found their way into this beer. I'm reminded of carrot raisin salads made popular by the like of Chik-fil-a and other southern chicken purveyors.

This brew was a little hard to finish. I almost want to believe that labeling it an
imperial IPA was a disservice to the beer itself. (651 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +19.9%

Review based on notes consumed about a month ago

Pours a hazed caramel with a sliver of sand colored head. Stays murked up, average head retnetion & lacing

S: Breadyness, toffee & much orchard fruit

T: Toffee, oakyness & hints of caramel, & a touch of boozey pears & apricots. Vanilla/oaky notes as this warms, much dryness, pineapples, finally grapefruit & piney resin surface as well. Finishes toffee sweet, with booze warmth & tropical fruit

MF: Very chewy, warming with low carbonation, has syruppy & juicy aspects to it too; great balance

Great drinkability, I liked this more than the draft version, but it the draft was more hop forward I thought (658 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +13.3%

750ml capped bottle poured into an older Cigar City snifter.

A: This beer poured a deep hazy bronze-orange with a thin tan head which formed after the pour and dissipated quickly, while leaving a nice lacing on the glass.

S: The nose of this beer is not what you might expect from an Imperial IPA, it has a sweet smell which reminded me a little of Dogfish Head's 120 IPA.

T: The taste matched the nose, as it was of sweet nectar.

M: The mouthful was thick and syrupy with very little carbonation. If I didn't see the name, "the other west coast IPA", I would have thought I was drinking an English Barleywine.

D: This beer definitely improved as it warmed in the glass. This beer is NOT for the faint of heart or palate. It is a great sipping beer and I'm looking forward to see if this one ages like a Barleywine too.

Be-warned if you try this one, as it is not for everyone, as it requires an acquired taste. As it says on the label, this is not for the sissy boy nor girl. (988 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -34.1%

Not sure who brought this one, thanks for the opportunity to try this though. I do love a good IPA. Beer poured into a snifter.

Beer is almost red and has nearly no head. The head that is there is medium and large bubbles that cling to the interface between the glass and the liquid and somehow manages to leave some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is moderate to low.

Aroma is that of a very young barleywine, that is to say that this is a malt bomb. No real hop presence other than the incident hops that may have been in the same building while the boiling was taking place.

Oh gross. Me no likey. This beer is syrupy stick sweet on my tongue. There is no room for anything else in the palate as it is overwhelmed with a diabetes inducing sugar shock to my system. At least it finished quickly before the spike in insulin damaged my nerves. No thank you. This beer turned out to be about as appetizing as the hairy chest of the man on the label. (953 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -36%

It's my fault I thought this was a stout, but I was ready for a DIPA as soon as I started pouring (excited actually because Jai Alai is so good). Not much carbonation at all. Then on to the smell: Typical East coast malt bomb but worse; just really unbalanced. The smell and taste is VERY VERY sweet and syrupy, more so than some barleywines I've had. Where's the hops? Big disappointment that is getting drain poured right after I click "review". Stick to RISs CCB. I loved Hunahpus and Zhukovs. Compared to the rest of the "best of American Double / Imperial IPAs", this is terrible. (585 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +27.5%

Poured into a US tumbler pint glass from a 32oz freshly-filled growler that was purchased at the brewery on 7/29/10 and consumed later that night.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, floral hops, citrus and brown sugar.

T: The taste starts out malty with sweet flavors of caramel, brown sugar and citrus. The malt character is hearty. The hops presence is strong but not over-powering and brings a good balance. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style although it's one of those beers that dances along the 2IPA/Barleywine line, this is a nice stronger beer to drink for as long as you're able to handle it. (913 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +21.8%

My first visit to the brewery/pub lucked upon several great flavorful brews including this DIPA. A cloudy dark amber color with a nice light oatmeal colored cap and tons of lacing. The aroma brings a modest citrus and pepper wood with swamp grass overtones. Pleasant. The flavor says thick blackberry and buttery peanut and thick honey malt. Wow! This is a full bodied brew with a thick near syrupy feel and very quiet carbonation. This is pretty thick stuff but complex and fun drinking. Very sweet with a leaning toward the thick honey with a little alcohol for modest drinkability but not bad. A real quality brew. Not sure why so many reviewers find this to be less than really good. I found everything on tap that night to be of very high quality and tasty. While this brew was indeed not high in obvious hop bitterness, more along some other deeper styles, I really don't much care, I still really enjoyed it. (915 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a .5 L bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter.

A - Golden orange, cloudy, with just a little head.

S - Not much here. A bit fruity - not citrusy, more like apple or grape.

T - One word - Sweet. Taste of honey and orange Gatorade. Not bad, just very, very sweet, like a Sunkist soda, minus some of the carbonation.

M - Very little carbonation, very syrupy. Disappointing.

D - One is enough. Again, this isn't bad, it just isn't really what I expected from a double IPA.

I've seen the 110K compared to a barley wine. To me, this is more like a wheat wine, and it seems more like Terrapin's Gamma Ray than any DIPA or barley wine I've ever had. I was looking forward to this, but am a little disappointed. It is unusual to say that a DIPA needs an infusion of hops bitterness, but this one does. (806 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Murky opaque dull orange brown in color. Pours with about a 1/4" of thick creamy-foamy head that has decent retention and lots of lacing.

S: Sweet malt. Some citrus, mostly orange, but to a lesser extent a bit of lime. However, a candy sweetness dominates

T: Sweet orange malt with a mild bitterness. Finishes with the heavy taste of alcohol and fusel spice. Simultaneously sweet and harsh.

M: On the heavier side with lower carbonation. Syrupy and medicinal.

D: This is a poor representation of a DIPA, really much more like a barleywine, not that it would be winning any points in that category either. Rough, unbalanced, alcoholic, and rather disappointing considering the trouble I went through to source this one. (727 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Had this at the last Madison, BA tasting.

a - cloudy light brown....looks like cider.

s - candy sugar and malts. some hops, but not much.

t - very very sweet. some citrus hops, but overwhelmed by sweetness. very unbalanced.

m - medium body, low carbonating, results in a syrupy fell.

overall - not a beer I'd have again. (325 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +10.9%

A: Poured into my pint glass, this brew pours a deep orange yellow with a pillow like orangy tan head. Not exactly what I was expecting from a beer that is based off a West Coast IPA.

S: The aroma is very sweet and bitter. Interesting, unique. Fruity with slight hints of bready malt.

T: This is not a DIPA, or even close to that. This is like a slightly hoppy sweet malt bomb. Fruity with a little hop bite. Triple the amount of hop here and I think CCB would be on to something. This is very similar to the malt profile of their Big Sound Scotch ale. Its almost like they took that and tried to make a big IPA out of it.

MF: The MF is fine without being too exciting. Medium mouth feel with a very smooth carbonation.

D: Because of the sweetness, this brew's drinkability is going to suffer. Unless you have a sweet tooth, you wouldn't want more then a 750ml.

Overall, it is a shame Batch 3 was not a stout, but I would like this to continue in the big IPA direction. Like I said, with triple the hops, you'd have an amazing DIPA. They can also spin this one off into an amazing barely wine if they darkened up the grain bill, and doubled the hops. CCB has proven to be malt artist. If you'd like to sample a world class IPA, get your hands on some Jai Alai, or Humidor IPA. (1,283 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +17.8%

Bottle shared by a generous soul - thanks!

Pours a hazy dark copper color with a half-finger cream-colored head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of sticky sweet caramel malts with good amounts of leafy hop aromas. Also present are mild amounts of toffee.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Thick caramel malt flavors with large amounts of toffee influence kick things off. Midway through the sip the sweetness subsides just a bit as leafy and somewhat herbal hop flavors work their way into things. The hops then fade out into a sweet ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I finished my glass without any problems however I'm not sure about another.

Overall this wasn't a bad beer but I just found it too sweet. If you're a fan of English barley wines you'll likely be a fan of this beer but as long as you know what to expect you may find yourself a fan even if you're normally a hophead. (999 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750mL bottle.

I've had this on tap and remember being struck by the sweetness, so I'm ready to see if the bottle is any different.

The pour is weird for an IPA. The body is close to that of a barleywine, deep hazy amber. The head is what threw me as there was virtually no head as I poured. Then came a quick collection of beige foam that subsequently receded to a thin collar and left no lacing. Looks like an aged barleywine.

The aroma full of thick, juicy hops with a bit of pine resin. But the dominant aroma is the caramelized malt sweetness. Crazy sweet in the nose with a hint of booze. Maybe some toffee even.

Despite the sweetness of the aroma, I wasn't prepared for the sugary malt explosion of the taste. Like candied apples. It think there is some citrus hop in there but it's tough to tell.

The mouthfeel is full bodied and the stickiest DIPA I've ever had. Feels like a barleywine on the palate.

This is much more like a barleywine, but even then it'd be on the sweeter side of American barleywines. The candy-like sweetness is absolutely dominant with very little hops coming through. Drinkability is sub-par as DIPAs go. Interesting, and I know it wasn't meant to be a hop-bomb, but not my favorite from CCB. (1,230 characters)

2.79/5  rDev -15.7%

A-Pours a hazy amber with a chunky off white head that has good retention and leaves a lot of sticky lace.

S-Rich malt, sweet tropical fruit, a bit of booze.

T-Wow, this is really sweet. A sugary, syrupy candy like flavor overwhelms everything else. Tons of malt. Tropical fruits. Its kind of a syrupy mess.

M-Thick, chewy, syrupy, slick and oily-and not in a good way.

D-This one was tough to get down due to the sweetness.

This one was a bit of a disappointment. I've loved everything from CC that I've had, but I don't think I'd pay $11 for a bomber of this again. Its just not good enough to rate that kind of $$$. (623 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -26.3%

Hand-delivered to Indiana from Gainesville by gguzman. Thank you, Greg!

A: Medium golden amber. Very nice head formation and retention. Looks beautiful in the glass.

S: Some hoppiness, but there is a sweet malt overpowering the hops. Smells like a barleywine before it has been properly aged.

T: Extremely sticky-sweet. Hardly any hops flavor can get past the candy-like sweetness.

M: Stickiness continues. It has good body and carbonation, but the sticky finish wrecks it.

D: Drain poured it after two sips. (513 characters)

2.52/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Slips out a hazed, amber-hued body with a delightfully frothy, long lasting, off-white head.

Smell: Prominently sweet-smelling aroma, with notes of candied citrus peels, sugar-coated berries, and a fruit cocktail tossed with caramel served up with a tall shot glass of liquor.

Taste: The first sip ushers in a hard, sugary sweetness that never lets up. Sadly, any malt complexity is simply buried underneath the raw sweetness. A sip of concentrated fruit juices, some tropical, some citrusy, and some tasting of strawberries. A small splash of pine-scented cleaner. Essentially no bitterness at all. The finish has ample alcoholic heat and an unyielding, cloying simple syrup character to it. Yeesh.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: An altogether coarse brew with its heavy sweetness and alcohol. I wonder what happened here. Quite a letdown, this one, and a real surprise coming from Cigar City. I suppose the moral is: nobody's perfect. (984 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured from the bottle into my SA Perfect Pint glass. I'm lucky to have a great mom that picked this up for me from Knightly Spirits on her last trip to Orlando.

A - Dark orange with an amber hue. A big yellow tinted head rests on top. Lots of sticky lacing.

S - Grapefruity hop flavor is the fist thing I pick up followed by other citrusy hop notes. A hint of booze and sweetness rest at the tail end of this one's aroma. I'm really trying hard to pick up the aroma in this one however.

T - A nice fruity hop flavor in this one that reminds me of oranges. Really sweet at the finish and not much bitterness at all. A bit of a warming alcohol sensation is present. Reminds me of some kind of tropical fruit cocktail. Originally I had it rated as a 3.5 for taste but as I drank this the sweetness got worse so I lowered it.

M - medium body that is kind of sticky. There looked to be some carbonation when I poured this and it had a nice head at first but when drinking it I don't pick up any carbonation. Strange.

D - Drink's pretty easy but is way too sweet for the style. I don't pick up any bitterness in this. I dunno... this is good but not as amazing as I expected from the much hyped CCB. I dunno this really isn't much of a DIPA however and certainly not a west coast one. (1,284 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured bomber a couple times into my Kentucky ale snifter.

A- one of the darkest ipas I have ever seen. Like the color of liquified pennys. Small white head that quickly fades. Spotty lacing and no carbonation that shows up.

S- such a great smell. The smell is spot on fruit punch, literally fruit punch.

T- This is one of the sweetest ipas I have ever had. So much fruit and juicy-ness. I'm only tasting a bit of hops at the finish. Can't believe an ipa can taste like this.

M- the one knock against this beer is the syrupy thick mouth feel. I was expecting a medium bodied refreshing beer and I get a beer that is thicker than some Russian imperial stouts.

D- the taste is great but the sweetness and syrupy feel make this one hard to have a lot of. With that being said the high abv is hidden extremely well. (821 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -34.4%

Bottle from Über generous MCLK...

Pour a rich amber color with little head...

smells... like a malt bomb, they call this a west coast IPA? Wha?

tastes... like a malt bomb, this is NOT a west coast IPA. Tastes like a bad homebrew attempt. Malty, sweet, carmel, mapley... I taste no hops at all... isnt that the backbone of an IPA? yeesh.

Mouthfeel... little carbonation, thick molasses feel...

I dont like this... seems like a failed homebrew attempt, so they just threw it in a bottle and sold it. how they can call this a west coast IPA is laughable. It is a pathetic attempt. Cigar City is a great beer, but this is a fail. (631 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle shared with several BA's...poured into a Corsdendonk tulip.

A - Pours a mostly clear orangey amber with a finger of cream colored head that fades quickly. No lacing on the glass.

S - Sugary sweet malt is way up front on this one, blended with a heavy dose of caramel, some fruity esters, and citrusy/grapefruity hops. Balanced way towards the malty side. Very good - probably the best aspect of the beer.

T - As the aroma indicated, this is one sweet beer. Almost candy like in its intensity and ends up being somewhat cloying. Good contribution of citrusy hop flavor, mild hop bitterness, but nothing can touch the malt. Sugary sweetness and heavy doses of caramel shine here, if you like that sort of thing. Enjoyable in small doses, but this would be difficult getting too far into a bottle without some help.

M - Medium bodied with a somewhat low, but creamy carbonation. Mouth is just overwhelmed with sugar leaving a sweet, sticky coating after each swallow.

D - A slow sipper to be sure. For a 10% beer, it doesn't really show it, but the sweetness just overwhelms the taste buds and makes this a really slow sipper. Probably more barleywine like than DIPA, perhaps better on a cold winter night or paired with some food that can cut through the sweetness. (1,281 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Thanks to portia99 for cracking this guy.

A: Fluffy head of 1/2 finger (generous size) fades quickly over a semi clear reddish mahogany colored beer.

N: Nice strong ale aroma, lots of malts, semi sweet. Little fruit, apple, apricot, oak, a little whisky, fruity and juicy. Touch of an eathy hop aroma too. Great aroma, but not what I expected.

T: Sweet, holy fuck it's sweet! Hard to drink with how sweet it is. Again lots of malts, not really a DIPA. A strong ale taste, almost barleywine. A little booze with warming feel. Oak with a little whisky, lots of fruit, peace even, apricot, apple, etc. Chewy malts, even a little white chocolate. Creamy, some bitterness and a hint of earthy flavors.

M: Medium to thicker body, little syrupy, decent carbonation.

F: Little spicy and warming booze. Still really sweet, more oak and whisky, some fruit still. A little honey even. A little sticky, still barleywine-esque, creamy and lingering. (942 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -46.8%

Nickd717 opened this one. Thanks!

Amber hued and quite hazy, this beer pours with a finger of off-white head that quickly settles to a collar. It has a chewy, viscous appearance. The aroma has a massive caramel character, sweet and rich with a light grapefruit hop note behind it. This smells like it's going to be pretty cloying, and surely enough, it is. Intensely sweet, you can almost feel the sugar sticking to your teeth. It's moderately hoppy, there's a touch of candied grapefruit and pine, but the malt character is simple, dominant and cloying. This is exactly how I don't like my IPAs, pretty awful stuff. (617 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

Big thanks to DosBeerigos and the Quick and Easy High Card BIF for this bottle!

Digging the bottle's depiction of bling. Word. Anyway, it pours a hazy rosy amber topped by a finger or so of ecru foam. The nose starts off heavy on the pine, but return sniffs reap a good deal more caramel in the background. And that about sums it up, simple and good. The taste is therefore not as surprising as it would be otherwise: heavy caramel notes met by a slightly piney touch, which somehow lends further sweetness to the proceedings. There's still some bitterness biting in the back, but it's not enough to make a strong enough call for a self-governing state. Sorry, my hands are tied by the customary international law of beer. Look it up if you don't believe me. The body is a heavy light, with a light carbonation and a somewhat thick feel. Overall, not bad, but very unbalanced and hard to really enjoy as the experience progresses. (974 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

From 7/11/10 notes. Thanks to nimbleprop for sharing this one.

a - Pours a murky amber color with one inch of white head and light carbonation.

s - Smells of caramel malts, sugar, alcohol, and fruit.

t - Tastes of caramel malts, lot of sugar and sweet fruit, and alcohol.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and easy to drink.

d - A bit of a disappointment. I thought it was was too sweet and the alcohol was too prevailent in the taste. Wouldn't really look to get again. (491 characters)

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA from Cigar City Brewing