Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
Reviews by woodychandler:
4.18/5  rDev -0.9%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer!

3.61/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Review #300. Seeing as how much the original Jai Alai took me by surprise, I was pretty stoked to try this one. Pours the color of copper pennies (as if there were other kinds of pennies) with a hazy, light-brown colored center. The eggshell-beige head lasts for a substantial amount of time and leaves some nice lacing along the glass. Aroma has a HUGE oak profile; woody, wet, dense, tiny hints of vanilla and tannin. I am actually picking up a whiskey aroma, much akin to Jack Daniels, possibly due to the heavy white oak. Some hop aromas are present; mild citrus, orange, pineapple - unfortunately pushed to the background by the heavy oak. I mean, I know it's a "white oak aged" beer, but it's almost a little TOO much.

The taste falls right in line, heavy white oak, whiskey, touches of vanilla, wet cardboard, and some light spice. The citrus from the hop is there in flavor, but certainly not in bitterness - but what do you expect from an aged IPA? Citrus peel, orange zest, pineapple, mango - the fruit jubilee is extremely mellow compared to the original Jai Alai, which was one of the things that made me so crazy about the original. This is partially due to the fact that the IPA has been aged and the hops therefore will lose some of their "oomph", but it's also not helping that the white oak is a little too overshadowing. It still has that bright and sweet flavor, and the malts add a little bit of bready sweetness, but overall it's pretty dull compared to the original. Medium bodied, carbonation is medium, a touch slick on the palate.

Not a bad beer - definitely interesting and unlink anything else, but honestly I'm kind of disappointed and was let down just a bit. Maybe it's because I was so emphatic about the original Jai Alai and I was expecting too much. The white oak would be a nice addition if it were toned down just a bit, but it's a little too strong, distracting from most of the other flavors in the beer.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.45/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

In a snifter the beer was a hazy amber color with a small white head. A small amount of lace.
Great aroma. Lots of citrus, some pale malt. Definite vanilla/oak aroma.
Similarly great taste. Grapefruit, tangerine, tropical fruit. Biscuit. Oak lingering in the background the whole time.
The oak really tempered the IPA. Very smooth.
Will have to get more of these while in Florida.

4.44/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours dark amber with a lot of little floaties. One finger white head with nice lacing. Super juicy nose of mango, peaches and other tropical fruit. Seriously though, you will never find a nose like this on another IPA. Amazing! Flavor is equally amazing. Notes of mango, oak and like the description says a hint of dill in the finish. Medium body with light carbonation. Slightly bitter finish. One of a kind.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is the pine and citrus that I expect from Jai Alai, but it is accented with some oaked notes.

The flavor is more of the same. There is a light oak flavor that compliments the pine, citrus and pineapple notes. I think the oak cuts the bitterness, which is lower than I remember from the regular Jai Alai. Very well done.

Medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel.

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

On tap at the Marshal Zhukov RIS barrel-aged release party. I'm really intrigued by CCB's tradition of revisiting of their standard brews-this should be a treat.

Poured into a small sampler glass. Slightly murky golden-copper, with a thin but lingering head.

The nose is brilliant - a superb blend of citrus hops, oak, smokiness and a lovely tropical blend of mango and orange, possibly coconut, vanilla. Anything but your standard IPA bouquet. Love it!

Taste is also superb, probably my favorite IPA of the trip. I could really detect the standard Jai Alai foundation (citrus and earthy hops, malt, caramel), but the addition of the oak wood brought about an excellent woodsy, fruity character that brought out the best in the basic recipe.

Medium bodied for an IPA, easy drinking carbonation.

Were I able to stay longer, I would have had several of these on draft. Just a great blending of flavors. Definitely restores my faith in the evolution of the American IPA! (Shame I can't bring some home with me!)

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had several of these on a recent trip to Tampa and really liked what the white oak aging did to this beer. Review of a can (1/10/14)
A-Poured into a widemouth glass there is a finger of white rocky head on top of that common IPA appearance of a clear light orange brew. Sticky head.

S-The grassy, piney notes of Jai Alai are more subdued and the tropical fruit aroma is more prevalent with the addition of vanilla and a definite oak aroma. Very nice. Definitely preferred over Jai Alai.

T-The oak aging really adds a unique flavor profile to this beer. It is sweet, the malt in Jai Alai is sweet but now the hops are also sweet. I get lots of pineapple and some apple and cherry on top of the significant vanilla oak character. Really unique beer. Shit even some orange. Lots of good flavors going on.

M-Less bitterness and drier than Jai Alai, a big improvement for someone who is sensitive to the real bitter IPAs. I really like the taste profile of this beer. Oaked IPAs-nice idea!

O-I really am liking this beer. The oak really mellow out the bitter quality, adds some new flavors and cleans up the finish.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap poured into a wine glass.

Pours a hazy amber to light amber with a huge creamy off white head that's thick & pillowy. Nose is all tropical fruit, mango and others, it's sweet and fresh.

Taste is super well balanced - hoppy fresh and sweet, there a nice creamy maltiness as well. Really creamy and thick. Delicious.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing