Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
1.25/5  rDev -70.4%

chadwicktorres, Sep 16, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

dfhhead25, Aug 26, 2013
2.3/5  rDev -45.5%

A - pours a golden orange with a thin layer of foam. No retention

S - a very oaky and overwhelming odor. Extremely difficult to endure.

T - the oaky flavor completely dominates the whole beer

M - light and sloppy on the finish

O - Not impressed. The oak completely destroys the flavor of the beer. I did not enjoy this one.

Jammies, Nov 26, 2011
2.45/5  rDev -41.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Poured into bruery snifter.

Pours a finger of white head that thins out. Leaves a bit of lace. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: Butter, oak, and cedar flavors. It has some sharp fruits and and some floral hops.

Taste: Again, this beer is very buttery which distracts from anything that may be good here. It has a floral hop profile with a tropical fruit citrus blend and it is all topped off with oak and cedar. Reminds me of their humidor series beers.

Mouthfeel: Bitter, but really creamy. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends a bit sticky.

Overall, this beer could have been good if it wasn't so buttery. I did like the flavors, but I couldn't get passed the butter. Not really for me.

mothman, Jan 08, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -41.2%

drinkfella, Aug 25, 2014

psykad, Jun 03, 2013

ConradKenney, Sep 14, 2014

BigMike, Mar 06, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle drank from my Darkness glass, given to me by Mike...Pours a medium copper with an orange tint. An off white head rises about a finger, settles quickly to a decent soapy head with good retention...The aroma is sweet caramel on the front with tons of fresh oak that is also pretty sweet, its lots of wood but I'm liking it, shockingly...The taste sadly doesn't translate as well. Its all wood and in a bad way, might as well be licking a fresh piece of wood, way to similar to cigar series ipa which was all cedar closet...The feel is good, sticky pine and tannic, a very interesting sensation.

Another failed Cigar City wood beer. Skip this.

jrallen34, Nov 01, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I am a huge fan of regular Jai Alai. It is one of my two favorites IPAs.

White Oak Jai Alai tastes no where near its original or an IPA. I may have had a shipment of bad bottles from Letspour (not likely, they have good quality control) but all the bottles tasted like cinder butter. They smelled of mild oak aged diacetyl (white oak may have caused this confusion). It had a warm and creamy mouth feel. I wanted to like this beer so much. I will try again in the future to see if my bottles were bad. Stick with normal Jai Alai.

itsiilegal, Jun 03, 2013

Softestdog, Sep 02, 2012

Durb777, Jan 22, 2013

Brew33, Apr 12, 2013

s1ckboy, Apr 06, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -33.6%

I'm trying to figure out if these beers are just so progressive I don't understand them, or if they just taste bad. Based on my review, I guess you see where I went with it.

A - Nice Orange colored beer, opaque, with a great two finger foam head that had amazing retention but dissipated unevenly.

S - An herbal/woodey/almost cedar type smell wraps the malts up and kind of mixes with some citrusy hops. It's a bit fruity smelling, almost some pineapple, not bad.

T - Wow, if there's such a thing as an oak bomb, this is it. Seems a lot more like cedar in some respects, but I feel like I'm straining my beer through a stick or chewing on when when drinking this. There is a nice pineapple fruit precense, and some very citrusy hops, not very bitter, but this weird wood is too much for me, don't like it.

M - It's creamy, medium bodied, decent carbonation.

D - Hard for me to drink due to the taste. I don't like this beer.

AgentZero, Oct 25, 2010