Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
itsiilegal

2.65/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I am a huge fan of regular Jai Alai. It is one of my two favorites IPAs.

White Oak Jai Alai tastes no where near its original or an IPA. I may have had a shipment of bad bottles from Letspour (not likely, they have good quality control) but all the bottles tasted like cinder butter. They smelled of mild oak aged diacetyl (white oak may have caused this confusion). It had a warm and creamy mouth feel. I wanted to like this beer so much. I will try again in the future to see if my bottles were bad. Stick with normal Jai Alai.

06-03-2013 03:33:25 | More by itsiilegal

s1ckboy

04-06-2013 22:30:27 | More by s1ckboy
AgentZero

2.8/5  rDev -33.5%

I'm trying to figure out if these beers are just so progressive I don't understand them, or if they just taste bad. Based on my review, I guess you see where I went with it.

A - Nice Orange colored beer, opaque, with a great two finger foam head that had amazing retention but dissipated unevenly.

S - An herbal/woodey/almost cedar type smell wraps the malts up and kind of mixes with some citrusy hops. It's a bit fruity smelling, almost some pineapple, not bad.

T - Wow, if there's such a thing as an oak bomb, this is it. Seems a lot more like cedar in some respects, but I feel like I'm straining my beer through a stick or chewing on when when drinking this. There is a nice pineapple fruit precense, and some very citrusy hops, not very bitter, but this weird wood is too much for me, don't like it.

M - It's creamy, medium bodied, decent carbonation.

D - Hard for me to drink due to the taste. I don't like this beer.

10-25-2010 17:25:52 | More by AgentZero

01-25-2013 00:05:01 | More by TrickkyGangsta
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.1/5  rDev -26.4%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Borrowing notes from my review of regular Jai Alai for reference.

Jai Alai: No date info on the bottle. Hazy dark copper body capped with a creamy finger's worth of foam. Retention's pretty good. Patchy lacing.
White Oak: Much improved. Massive frothy head that reduces at a slow rate, leaving a mountain of foam in the middle with a huge bumpy skip all around. Impressive sticky clumps of lacing are scattered all over the place. Gorgeous. Bump 3.0 to 5.0.

Jai Alai: Very east coastish nose, with a hefty dose of caramel and light citrus zest notes underneath.
White Oak: Add a bunch of oak, which is pleasant in and of itself, but further blunts the hops. No change from 3.0.

Jai Alai: A touch boozy. A thickish brew, with moderate carbonation doing little to lighten up the sweetness. A decent level of bitterness briefly cuts through midswallow. Juicy citrus turns into a mildy pungent leafy hop flavor toward the finish. Malt dialed up to about 8.5.
White Oak: The plentiful oak seems to amplify the malts at the expense of the hops. No change from 3.0 for taste or feel, although a potential downgrade to 2.5 was considered.

Jai Alai overall impression: Not particularly memorable, although I have no idea how old the bottle is. Given this mystery, I'm inclined to give it another shot (will update my review with any new developments).
White Oak: Again, not really memorable. I remain unconvinced that 'oaking' is a good idea for IPAs. It's a helluva great looking brew, though, which is inflating my rating a notch or 2 above what it probably deserves.

01-30-2011 21:27:31 | More by PDXHops
lurpy1

3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

Reviewing from memory, and thanks to the ever-generous Three Fishes for sending this along. So many winners in that box. Unfortunately, this one tended towards the back of the pack. Can't beat the Jai Alai backbone, but I picked up on a strong tropical smell evocative of Coppertone. Can't say I know what Coppertone tastes like, but i have to think the coconut oil aftertaste White Oak delivers has to be pretty close. The beer still managed to be refreshing and suitable for summer. Perhaps paired with the right food would have provided a major a-ha moment, but as it was, it was merely OK.

11-20-2013 17:52:33 | More by lurpy1
Chizoad

3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

3rd of the Jai Alai "varietals" I've had now. I really appreciate that Cigar City experiments so much with their beers, and that they do a good job with it on top of the crazy styles.

On-tap at the brewery.

Big deep amber frothy beer. Doesn't really resemble pale ale, and certainly not the pale part of it. Still, a good looking beer.

No mistaking it, this beer smells like an oak tree. Imagine an oaky wine, and how it smells after you've emptied the glass. Make that oak smell slightly more aggressive, and that's what is in this. A little disconcerting in an APA.

The oak unfortunately totally overwhelmed the rest of the beer to the point of making it nearly undrinkable, at least until the beer warmed up and the oak chemicals had a chance to evaporate off or whatever they do. The strong malt backbone was barely there, and hops were also subdued by the majestic oak tree. Less oak = better, and made this one an interesting oddity that I'm glad I had but would never seek out again.

Edit: I just read other people's reviews, and it seems that my experience with this one was not the norm at all. Perhaps I had a different batch?

08-04-2011 20:44:18 | More by Chizoad
OddNotion

3.23/5  rDev -23.3%

Received as an extra in a trade with brewpaab. Thank you! I have had regular Jai Alai which I think is amazing and the Humidor series which I also really enjoy. Poured into my Fantome Tulip.

50th Review for me!

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange color with a light tan uncontrollable tow and a half finger head. Extremely active carbonation and the head keeps building, over three fingers now. This is one of the most active beers I have ever poured, and definitely the most active in this style. Starting to get a little bit annoying, maybe I should have used a more open glass.

Smell: The smell of cut oak hits me immediately. I love that smell. Some nice citrusy fruity notes follow.

Taste: Going to be a while before I get the chance to taste this beer. Everything is blended very well in the taste, most things are not too distinguishable from one another. The bitterness shows up a little bit on the back end. I feel the oaking of this beer has made it too smooth, no bite that I like in my IPAs and the fruity bouquet of flavors present in the original is almost lost to the oak in this version.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy for an IPA, carbonation has calmed down after the head dissipated, I wouldnt call it flat but would appreciate more carbonation.

Overall: Not a huge fan of this one. I feel that oak is a very hard flavor to successfully incorporate into an IPA, I do not Jai Alai is very well suited for the overbearing flavor of oak. I love the original, just not the oakiness.

05-07-2011 18:32:18 | More by OddNotion