Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Ratings: 1,644 | Reviews: 372
3.43/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 14JUL11

A: pours an apricot ale with a full finger of maple foam which falls slowly to a quilt of the same. Sheets of lace. Slightly hazy.

S: So, I've heard there are coconut/pina colada notes in this beer. Never believed it....Turns out, they were right. Nice woody character with pineapple and a slight follow through of dry coconut shavings. Pretty cool.

T: Sweet and dry. Some citrus and more sharp pineapple with a resiny midsection and a dry biscuity malt profile lends itself well to the dominant bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with hi carbonation and a dry finish. Would like a bit of a slick on the palate to work with here.

O: A good beer, but the more I drink this, the more I think I prefer the O.G. in this unit. I like how the oak has added the unusual suspect of coconut and dry woodiness (which I found less so in the original). The mouthfeel is off on this for me: needs lower carb and something to resonate the finish off.

3.45/5  rDev -18.2%

A-hazy orange with white head that sticks around for awhile.
S-almost smells like white cheddar cheese its. Must be the white oak
T-get a lot of the wood compared to the hops. Wood really over powers it.
M-medium body and very dry
O-OK at best. Oo much wood

3.46/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

2012 bottle served in a pint glass.
The aroma is dominated by fruity hops, with notes of tangerine and orange, as well as oak. The oak becomes even more prominent in the flavor. Too much oak IMO. At least the oak aging has the benefit of creating a very smooth feel in this medium-bodied IPA. Moderately bitter but has an overly earthy/woody aftertaste.

O: quite woody IPA. I much prefer the regular Jai Alai.

3.46/5  rDev -18%

12 oz bottle, poured into pint glass

Appearance: Orange-like gold, not perfectly clear but just a tiny bit cloudy, good amount of an off-white head.

Smell: Very unique. I get like a coconut somehow. It smells tropical but there is something there that gives it a bit of funk too. Can't tell what it is. Not too much of a traditional hop smell. Maybe a bit of a buttery smell in there? To be honest, it's not very appealing.

Taste: It tastes better than the smell, but you are overwhelmed a bit by the tropical flavors. You get hit with the hops at first but the fade away as the other flavors take over. Honestly, I think this is one of those IPAs where the aging on wood didn't help. The normal IPA couldn't hold up to the additional flavors added from the wood. It's not bad, but it's just not something I would seek out.

Overall: I know some people rave about this. To each his own. It's not for me. I'd rather have a good normal IPA.

3.47/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip

A - Strange looking sediment in the bottle - way more than expected or than I've ever seen. Was a really distracting image in the back of my mind while I watched a small amount of sediment settle in my glass even though I poured carefully. The beer is a burning orange color with white head. Quite a bit of lacing, some patches of head retention.

S - Sharp oaky vanilla dominates classic citrusy American hop aromas. Behind that, earthy aroma.

T - Some pale malt mixed with a smoother version of the aroma. The woody oak really dominates, and the IPA allows for this nicely.

M - Crisp and dry. Not harsh, but not a thirst quencher. Puckering.

O - I rinsed out the bottle right after pouring the beer and was really disturbed by the sediment that came out of it. I know that this is not always a sign of deathbeer. I like pouring all the yeast into my weissbiers and witbiers. But. Still, I approached the beer with some trepidation. It was interesting and not bad at all. Not sure it is one that I would go out of my way to have again, but i wouldn't turn it down. It was nice to drink a lighter beer with the oak flavors present. Most of the oak aged beers I've had are DARK. If you have a chance, give it a shot. I'm grateful I was able to try it.

3.48/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Received this "new to me" bottle from a fantastic trade with ohsaycanyoubeer. Big props Matthew!!

Poured into my HotD goblet.. hazed orange with a nice white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Nose is oak, light toasty malt and lighter caramel, and a big sorta tangerine hoppiness.

Big and oaky.. pithy citrus zest.. a bit of vanilla for sure.. malts come out swinging but get carried away by the other flavors.. finishes with a fermented out toasty maltiness and a dry oak quality.

Body is big for a standard IPA.. but I generally get that from CC IPA's.

Nicely done... I would buy this pretty regularly if I had it available.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.25/3.5

Thanks again Matthew!!

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a very hazy orange/peach color with a small white head on top. Decent retention and some lacing, but nothing really special.

S: Slightly hoppy, but not as much as regular jai alai. There is a little bit of apple and a little bit of wood. There is some toffee on the back end.

T: Kind of muted, a decent amount of woody oak, some caramel and toffee. A bit of citrus/orange and vanilla round it out, but the citrus level is relatively low.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not bad, but I prefer the unoaked version more. The oak seemed to mute some of the hops a bit.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours out a much darker color compared with the regular Jai Alai. It's a very deep, burnt, hazy orange with ruby hints.

The aroma is overpowered by the wood. Huge oak notes that are complimented by vanilla, some grassy and slightly citrus hop notes and a bit of caramel as well.

The taste is also extremely dominated by the white oak. Up front there is a ton of oak which is followed by a huge amount of vanilla and coconut as well. Definitely more on the sweeter side. There are some grassy (almost piney) hop notes along with some citrus, but the tropical fruit seems to be hidden from the original. It finishes very dry.

The body is medium and the mouthfeel is smooth and creamy.

The white oak totally dominates this beer, which is good and bad. The big vanilla and coconut notes are welcome, but the fact that the IPA base gets a bit hidden is disappointing. No bottling date so I'm not sure if this was fresh or not. Not bad, but not amazing.

3.51/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Thanks Kimmy for hooking me up with this.

A- For the purpose of the review, poured from the 12oz can to a small tumbler glass. The body is a orange-dark gold and pretty much clear of any haze. Small white cap forms to about one finger with decent retention. Thick lace sheets at the top and it seemingly coats a majority of the whole glass.

S- Tropical and citrus hops off the top but not quite as pungent as I remember Jai Alai being, just a bit restrained aromatically. Tangerine, mango, oranges and floral notes come to mind. Hints of oak wood, light caramel sweets and some yeast fruits.

T- Oak really comes out in the taste. It is hard to describe as anything other than lightly toasted, fresh woody oak flavor. Slight vanilla but mostly the woody earthy oak feel. Hops are still the main flavor component with notes of tangerines, stone fruits, citrus zest, grapefruit, floral and slight pine. Slight tannins. Malts are here in a light strength with caramel and some sweetness.

MF- Light bodied and crisp IPA feel. Carbonation at a moderately high level helping those hop flavors pop on the taste buds. Finishes with a medium bitterness lingering on the palate.

I am not sure how much the oak flavor and slight vanilla sweetness does for me here. I think I prefer the normal Jai Alai to this one but that is not to say this is much worse. I think the oak is a bit abrasive at times and maybe a bit too much is used. Still a solid beer I would have again.

3.51/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- dark honey hue in coor, with lots of head, medium retention.

S- Oak with some citrus qualities of Jai Alai. Grapefruit, lemon other tropical fruits.

T- The oak thing throws me off. I like reg better.

M- Best part of the brew. Has a creamy texture. Medium carb

O- I would take reg any day over this

3.52/5  rDev -16.6%

Appearance: Burnt caramel. Two finger head. Lace on the glass.

Aroma: Bitter, citrus, and smoky. Hints of spice and you can pick up on the cedar right away. I prefer the aromas of the original Jai Alai.

Taste: Again, bitter taste but also a good balance with the cirtus flavors and spices. Nutty and burnt aftertaste really compliments the orange flavors I pick up.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Not as much carbonation for this IPA--which I enjoy.

Drinkability: I'm partial to a beer with low carbonation; so for me this beer is very drinkable. If you find yourself liking increased carbonation, you might not enjoy it as much. Altogether, I have to agree with other reviewers--very smooth.

Overall, this is a great IPA. I prefer the traditional CCB Jai Alai, but this isn't a bad spin on the original and may be worth a try if you are partial to nuttier/woody flavors.

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this bottle in yet another incredible box from Palmej1. Thanks Jacob! 12oz bottle into my Brugges Zot chalice.

The beer pours an appealing copper color with a finger of white foam. The head recedes leaving a thin white coaster and some very nice lacing. I can smell the wood in this beer immediately, sweet biscuity malt and citrus hops round out the nose. The taste is an initial blast of bitter citrus. Orange, pineapple and mango dominate. The malt profile provides a nice sugar cookie backbone, but the hops are showcased here. The oak persists throughout, however, and while it is initially interesting, I think that after awhile it takes away from the experience. Feel is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. As the beer warms it becomes creamier. Overall this was pretty good. I think I prefer my IPA without the wood though, as I like the regular version of Jai Alai better than this iteration. If you like your IPA with oak seek this out.

3.56/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, some citrus. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some oak and citrus, not bad, but I prefer the traditional Jai Alai. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer, but I was just a bit underwhelmed.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Big thanks to BPRESTON for sending this my way. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Gamboge and tenné gradient, somewhat cloudy and topped by a fist of rocky beige merengue. Huge soapy lacing.

Oak pervades the nose - coconut and vanilla overwhelm the caramel malt and citrus of the base beer. Lightly spicy perhaps as well.

Toasted coconut, grapefruit rind, and a touch of apricot and earth from hops on the palate. Palm sugar notes offset the moderate bitterness - citrus is strong but comes across as muted compared to the regular Jai Alai - leading into the finish which has a distinctive coconut/vanilla/very-lightly-tannic white oak flavor (which I only recall being this forward in White Oak from The Bruery).

Creamy, medium-light bodied, well carbonated, and faintly slick.

While this is an interesting idea, the execution leaves me missing the potent citrus and gentle balance of the base beer; particularly in terms of drinkability.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Received in trade from Meadme, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a fairly cloudy deep golden orange color with a heck of a frothy white head that leaves lots of lace on the way down. Smells of earthy fresh cut wood, woody hops and a hint of cardboard. There's a malty bready component deep underneath, but its subtle at best. Really it smells like fresh cut wet wood. Taste is spicy and woody with bits of bread and caramel. The hops are faint or maybe my palette has trouble tasting through the wood. Medium to light body with a moderate level of carbonation and a light almost watery mouthfeel. I love the out of the box thinking, but this is not my favorite result of that thinking. The fresh wood flavor and aroma is a bit intense and seems to overpower rather than enhance a great ipa like Jai Alai.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Burnished, dark gold color, smallish head with nicely clinging lacing. Very boozy in the nose..that continues in the mouth. The taste is a powerful mix of booziness and hop bitterness. Full, creamy mouthfeel that's one of the beer's best assets. Not very drinkable, just too boozy and rich. Interesting beer but not a favorite, certainly very untypical for an IPA. Reminded me more of an American barleywine than anything else.

I'm not digging the CC beers very much so far..maybe because, while they ARE available in the NE, I keep drinking them in the sweltering Florida heat. Maduro Brown and this one: not very satisfying when its 90 out and super humid.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Nice clearish amber colored pour with a beautiful layer of thick white foamy head.

Smell is a good blend of bitter hops with a hint of citrus. The flavor is DOMINATED by oak. I'm really amazed how the wood flavors come through here. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by this brew - particularly after having the regular Jai Alai and loving it. Its not bad, just a bit underwhelming. I think that if this a bit less "woody" in flavor it would be much much better.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Crimson and copper. half finger head. Hazy.

S: Oak, vanilla and some hops in the aroma

T: lot of oak and wood flavor. More vanilla. The jai alai hops are kind of overwhelmed however

M: Moderate carbonation and medium body.

Overall: I like the beer but the oak was a little stronger than I like and I am not sure if the flavors off-set each other or cover up the hops. A little off for me.

3.59/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at a FL bar.

A very pale, somewhat hazy, light gold to yellow with a white head. Looks nothing like the regular version for reference.

Aroma is pretty weak other than the wood aspect. Faint citrus fruits.

The oak flavor is very good and dominant. It is also sweet, but not in the same way as Jai Alai. More of a rich, vanilla like sweetness. The rest doesnt leave much to talk about. Muted, flat tasting tropical fruits and hops. Virtually no noticeable bitterness or bite.

Body is a tad under carbonated, but pretty normal for any barrel aged beer.

I was pretty disappointed in this one. It should be noted that I am not a fan of cask versions of beers, and this is exactly that. While the oak profile really shines, they lost everything else that Jai Alai offers. I am shocked at the love this gets. Far from being a bad beer, but I will stick to the original myself.

3.62/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer gifted by Mike, thanks. Beer is yellow to orange and completely hazy. Forms a decent head, decent lacing, carbonation moderate. It looks fine.

The aroma is oaky, almost linolenic acid in character and pretty piny.

Beer is light to medium in body and quite bitter, the oakiness in the midpalate brings an odd character that almost acts as a new hop in the mix. Its very nice overall, just not my bag, one of the better wood aged IPAs I've had.

3.63/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Review #300. Seeing as how much the original Jai Alai took me by surprise, I was pretty stoked to try this one. Pours the color of copper pennies (as if there were other kinds of pennies) with a hazy, light-brown colored center. The eggshell-beige head lasts for a substantial amount of time and leaves some nice lacing along the glass. Aroma has a HUGE oak profile; woody, wet, dense, tiny hints of vanilla and tannin. I am actually picking up a whiskey aroma, much akin to Jack Daniels, possibly due to the heavy white oak. Some hop aromas are present; mild citrus, orange, pineapple - unfortunately pushed to the background by the heavy oak. I mean, I know it's a "white oak aged" beer, but it's almost a little TOO much.

The taste falls right in line, heavy white oak, whiskey, touches of vanilla, wet cardboard, and some light spice. The citrus from the hop is there in flavor, but certainly not in bitterness - but what do you expect from an aged IPA? Citrus peel, orange zest, pineapple, mango - the fruit jubilee is extremely mellow compared to the original Jai Alai, which was one of the things that made me so crazy about the original. This is partially due to the fact that the IPA has been aged and the hops therefore will lose some of their "oomph", but it's also not helping that the white oak is a little too overshadowing. It still has that bright and sweet flavor, and the malts add a little bit of bready sweetness, but overall it's pretty dull compared to the original. Medium bodied, carbonation is medium, a touch slick on the palate.

Not a bad beer - definitely interesting and unlink anything else, but honestly I'm kind of disappointed and was let down just a bit. Maybe it's because I was so emphatic about the original Jai Alai and I was expecting too much. The white oak would be a nice addition if it were toned down just a bit, but it's a little too strong, distracting from most of the other flavors in the beer.

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Pours hazy amber with a two finger head of sticky foam that leaves some excellent lacing once it starts to drop. faint smell of coconut and vanilla comes through with the oak-like woody aroma - not a whole lot of kick from the hops but the hops that are present are tangy pineapple and citrusy. The flavor is not nearly as hoppy as I expected it's all just balanced with each characteristic just connecting one to the other - nice sweet caramel malts reach out to the subtle oily tropical hoppiness and a sawdust woody flavor to round this beer out as a more balanced less "in your face" hoppy beers. The mouthfeel was pretty full almost syrupy but somehow not too sticky - there was a whole lot of carbonation. Overall this beer is a nice sipper and enjoyable for a new beer that isn't readily available to me. I can appreciate the craft but I was a bit underwhelmed when comparing to my expectations of the incredible beer I was anticipating. Perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up as much as I did - oh well - it was still a good brew!

Cheers

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours a very hazy copper color with two fingers of off white bubbly head. The head dissipates after a few minutes, leaving a lot of sticky lacing on the glass and a few patches of bubbles along the surface. Some tiny bubbles visible right at the edge of the glass, but not much visible through the very hazy beer.

Really interesting nose, tropical fruit, predominantly pineapple, but some mango and sweet tangerine. There's a spicy and earthy aroma that I'm going to guess comes from the white oak soaked in the beer, nice complement to the tropical fruits. Not much of the malt in the aroma.

Big tropical fruit on the taste, with pineapple really dominating the flavor, with light sweet orange and tangerine as well. Mid tongue, the oak presents as this woody, earthiness, and slightly resinous. Finishes with some residual earthy flavors and a light bitterness.

Medium oily mouthfeel with some light carbonation that barely registers on the tongue. The beer is interesting, heavy oak influence, but a touch more hop bittering would have been nice.

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from bottle into a tulip glass. Like the base beer, a hazy amber gold with an ample off-white head that leaves lots of sticky lacing.

Smells of light caramel malt, green, citrus and earthy hops, vanilla, and caramel sugar--like the base beer.

This doesn't taste as smooth as the base beer. The oak aging has made this a bit less balanced and the hops are more harsh. There is a very distinct flavor of vanilla that is immediately noticeable and permeates the taste of the beer throughout the palate and the beer is sweeter than the base beer. There are notes of citrus and grassy hops, but they also seem somewhat harsher--especially the bitterness--and the result is the beer is not as nicely balanced as the base beer, being sweeter and harsher.

The body is medium and the carbonation is a bit fizzy, giving this a more crisp than creamy mouthfeel compared to the base beer, whose creaminess I liked better.

Overall, the wood and vanilla notes dominate what is a delicious and nicely balanced base beer. This version teaches me that I don't find vanilla to be a pleasant addition to an IPA.

3.67/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can (canned 1/17/14) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a somewhat pale amber color with excellent clarity. A thin finger of tan foam caps the beer briefly, falling after a minute or so. A thick collar and some foamy sheets of lacing are left behind.

S - Green hop aroma up front, slight maltose sweetness, mild citrus, traces of pine, a touch metallic.

T - Earthy and green flavors start things off with a solid malty sweet base. A bit woody and mixed with some underwhelming hop presence. Hop bitterness is fairly mild with muted citrusy flavors making it thru the other flavors in the beer. Toasted malt flavors, a bit of biscuit-like, dry malt/graininess come thru at the end.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation level that gives a nice fizzy tingle. A bit on the malty side or just light on hops for an IPA.

O - Overall, a bit of a disappointment. I had high hopes for this, being a fan of Cigar City beers in general and a fan of the original Jai Alai. Can is only 1 1/2 months old...maybe the hops have faded some, but I was surprised how low the hop level was in the flavor profile. Wood aging affect the hops some?...maybe, but not sure that is the case. At any rate, glad to have tried it. Will likely give it another try somewhere down the road and give it a second chance.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing