Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 364 | Hads: 1,685
4.49/5  rDev +8.7%

Cloudy orange amber and thin tan head with good retention. Fruity (mango/guava) oak and earthy undertones. Sweet grapefruit and earthy spice and oak finish. Moderately low linger thought the hops increase slightly. Sharp bite with a slick dry feel and a little tack.

An amazingly complex and enjoyable IPA that’s sweeter than your normal IPA and could use a dose of bittering to completely round it out. A nicely unique flavor and a little dryer than average due to the oak but it’s balanced although it’s not a beer to drink more than a pint but it makes a fantastic treat. (581 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Pours a hazy caramel brown color with a 3-4 finger creamy off-white head. Excellent lacing.

Smell: Orange, pineapple, grapefruit, coconut, vanilla, pine and oak. Very tropical and fruity aroma. Very complex aroma which smells delicious.

Taste: Pine and grapefruit up front followed by coconut, vanilla and sweet citrus in the middle and ending with a blast of lemon rind and grapefruit hops at the finish. Aftertaste is bitter grapefruit. Extremely well balanced and delicious. Flavor is nearly flawless.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Quite creamy. Goes down very smoothly.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. I only bought 2 bottles so I'm going to save the other for another day. I really wish I had more. You could knock back a few of these without any trouble.

Overall: Excellent IPA overall. I really wish that this one was a year-round offering from Cigar City. This is one of the best beers I've ever had and I will be looking for more. (1,044 characters)

12oz Bottle out of a 4 pack purchased 10/11

A: Pours Golden/Copper light and CLEAR Nice Cream head 2 fingers thick then dissipates to 1/4 finger and stays. Great Lacing.

AR: Oak Up front Sweet and Floral Some Spice im guessing from the oak.Almost like a spicy pine and maple undertones pretty awesome. Some hops break through but mainly overpowered.

T: Def get the oak right away but very little tannins from it. Good malt roundness and some fruit from the hops. Bitterness all the way through stays with you even for a good 15 plus seconds after the drink. The oak stays as well...

M: Medium Body finish is great carb is spot on. This finishes a little heavier than the standard Jai IPA.

O: Seriously Good I was always told the "American White Oak" would be to intense to barrel age with well.... F**k that this is outstanding much like most american styles its over the top and is still delicious. I read this is a beer they produce all the time... Cheers to that I am very impressed I like it almost as much as the unearthly oak aged from southern tier.. its damn close.
Cheers (1,086 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Bottle Date: 15 Aug 2012. Review Date: 21 Aug 2012.

A: Fluffy white head on a copper body

S: Sweet bitter citrus hops, oak, smoke.

T: really sweet and smooth, the hoppy taste is well-tempered by the oak treatment. smokey on the back end.

M: Medium with low carbonation. At first, i thought more carb would help the beer, but as i drink it i feel like the low carb and decent weight help the taste come through.

O: Fantastic. I will be having this plenty as long as they can keep it in stock! I would recommend seeking this out or trading for it. Definitely on par with the best of them. Much better than the untreated jai alai, not that the untreated version was bad at all. (683 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

I love regular Jai Alai. I was pumped to try this. At first it tasted a little too earthy for me but with each gulp (I don't sip) I get all the different tastes: vanilla, oak, grapefruit. Really good damn beer. (214 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Poured into a pint glass at CCB on the Double Barrel MZ release.

A: Hazy, copper, orange color, pretty much just like the other Jai Alai's. A big quarter of off white head shows up and then leaves great lace.

A: Man, where do I start? Coconut, macadamin nuts, grapefruit, orange, vanilla, and yes the oak. This has got to be, hands down, the most complex nose on an Ipa I have had to date.

T: Taste is just as good as the nose. The sweet coconut, vanilla, and islandy nutty flavor is balanced so well with the base Jai Alai. The caramel malt and big citrus hops play perfectly together. And the white oak gives is a dry, woodsy finish that is just sublime.

M: Great carbonation, medium body. Just fantastic.

D and overall impression: Drinkability for an IPA that is so complex is really quite nice. Overall, this is the best IPA CCB has done to date, and maybe the best IPA I have ever had. Skal. (901 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ahhhh, another wonderful offering from Cigar City. I was quite fortunate to be one of my lbs when this was delivered. The beer guru never heard of it and was intrigued by its existence. I took the 4 pack home along with the Hopped on the High Seas Citra and new I was in for a treat! My first impression was coconut. The oak barrel contributed such a wonderful coconut flavor to this already stellar brew. I felt like I was on a tropical beach in the dead of winter. We actually had about a foot of snow on the ground when I popped the tab. Try this beer if you like Jai Alai. I love coconut and that's all I could think of with this brew. Awesome job!! (653 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Pours a burnt orange color with two finger head and lots of lacing. Aroma is tangerine and tropical fruit. Taste brings oaky dryness in addition to the strong fruit presence and finishes with a bite from dill, hops, and oak. Mouth feel is outstanding for an IPA. I'd say medium body with perfect carbonation. (308 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We just tapped a keg of the White Oak here, and I also bought the cans last month. I assume the difference between the two is the CO2/Nitrogen blend we have giving this beer a phenomenal head and nose. While the Oak is dominant over the stated dill and vanilla discussed, this is one silky smooth IPA with more than sufficient bitterness. (340 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer is really interesting and not like any other IPA I've ever had. I really think that the white oak works great with the regular jai alai as a base, very nice beer.

A: Dark Amber to brownish body, very opaque with a nice stable pinky of foamy head and super lacing. A little too dark for an IPA, but nice.

S: Awesome bouquet of oak, pine, vanilla, hop resin, sugary citrus, and nutmeg. Very nice.

T: I am very pleased with this taste, it is very awesome to me, though I can see why others might not like it since it is really quite different. Pleasing hop bitterness overall mingles with vanilla oak, spicy herbs, citrus hops, a nice malt backbone as well. The nutmeg and pine also shine through as it warms. Wow this is excellent.

M: Nice medium feel overall, but I find it a little over carbonated. Nice bitter finish.

D: Awesome beer overall, very tasty. I highly recommend trying this, though I dont think you could do more than one 12oz of this before it would get old. Awesome showing from Cigar City. (1,021 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap at kickbacks in jax. Poured into a snifter. White head, moderate lacing on a hazy marmalade body. Soapy and oily lacing. Aroma is spicy, hoppy, fruity (citrus), maybe a touch smokey. Taste has a nice light sweetness, high bitterness, very smooth with no alcohol taste at all. Nice spicy character on taste along with a touch of vanilla. Awesome. (352 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like its regular Jai Alai sibling, I absolutely love the smell of this beer. Jai Alai is one of my favorite IPAs, and this one does not disappoint. The oak aging gives it a very sweet, vanilla taste. It is a completely different taste that the very fruity Jai Alai regular. I really enjoyed this and wish I could have taken home more than just a four pack to Virginia. (368 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Look - Alot darker than most IPA's, with a very thick, white head... I didn't pour very hard and was left with 3 fingers of foam.

Smell - Citrus, hops and oak; very inviting

Taste - Besides delicious? A very nice combination of malt, hops, oak and orange. More oak than i anticipated but it does not take away from the other flavors or the overall beer.

Feel - Thick and smooth

Overall - Very nice take on the IPA. Oak blends nicely into the other flavors. (460 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%

Another instant classic from CCB, I was beyond thrilled when this one hit my porch yesterday. Thank you soo much. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 07/10/10.

Pour is immediately cloudy with a thin wispy head of white that caps the top rather nicely I might add. Settles down into a dark amber color that really puts on quite a nice show.

Aroma is soo different then anything else it is hard to put into words. Spicy, lots of oak, hints of pepper, light hops. Really very nicely done. A whole nother world here folks. As you let it warm it really starts to show off. Really such a woody beer as all I can really taste are spicy notes of oak, hints of light peppery hops, some herbal qualities and that wonderful sense of oak. I really cannot describe it any other way. Light hints of booze in the finish with a dry spicy note again to close the show.

Overall one of the best treatments I have seen them do by far Simply amazing. (964 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Copper with no visible carbonation, lots of off white floating particles, 3 fingers of yellowish head.

S: Orange, pine, a little oak, orange candy, sweet.

T: Orange candy, oak, vanilla, dill, sweet, well rounded with a little bitterness on the finish.

M: Thick substantial body with little carbonation. Smooth, well hidden alcohol.

O: Excellent brew. Really enjoying the IPA qualities with the oak aging. Reminiscent of oaked double bastard in orange sweet quality and oak aged quality. Really top of the list. Bought and drank at Deerfield Beach FL, July 16, 2014. (573 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers. Competes with many of the "harder-to-get" IPAs or even DIPAs. Some find the taste too strong, it really is almost more DIPA. (152 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.9%

I had a sample of this on tap at the brewery, but I'm reviewing the bottled version.

A: Splotchy, cloudy orange, with a nice finger or so head that continued to stick to the glass even as I siphoned down the liquid.

S: Weird how the oak makes this more bitter, fruity, and colorful than the actual based beer. Mango, orange, and vanilla.

T: Citrus Creamcicle! Honestly, that is the absolute best way to describe this one. I would say that overall it is more on the fruit (candy) side than the hop bitter one.

M: I got a mild, yet divine booze warming on the end, but overall, this was creamy and smooth. The sugar was tempered by the oak, and the carbonation was low to moderate.

O: Pretty awesome stuff. Cigar City makes some of the best non-bitter IPAs on the market. (775 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%

On tap at the Marshal Zhukov RIS barrel-aged release party. I'm really intrigued by CCB's tradition of revisiting of their standard brews-this should be a treat.

Poured into a small sampler glass. Slightly murky golden-copper, with a thin but lingering head.

The nose is brilliant - a superb blend of citrus hops, oak, smokiness and a lovely tropical blend of mango and orange, possibly coconut, vanilla. Anything but your standard IPA bouquet. Love it!

Taste is also superb, probably my favorite IPA of the trip. I could really detect the standard Jai Alai foundation (citrus and earthy hops, malt, caramel), but the addition of the oak wood brought about an excellent woodsy, fruity character that brought out the best in the basic recipe.

Medium bodied for an IPA, easy drinking carbonation.

Were I able to stay longer, I would have had several of these on draft. Just a great blending of flavors. Definitely restores my faith in the evolution of the American IPA! (Shame I can't bring some home with me!) (1,014 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Sweetwater pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy orange amber color but on the lighter side with a half finger head than leaves a thin lacing after only a few seconds.

S:Smells like a pina colada. tropical fruit flavors, vanilla, light off coconut, citrus..interesting

T: this blew me away....nothing like any IPA I have ever had. The oak hits you hard first then it transitions into a smooth smooth vanilla flavor and finishes with a little bitterness..bonus is the burp gives you a little pine.

M: creamy, medium bodied, just feels right

O: This is a great rendition on an IPA. The vanilla white oak really compliments the hops and bitterness well, its not something you would session all night to me only because it is slightly sweet on the tongue but damn is it good. CCB makes me happay, happay, happay. (830 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just got a couple of cans at the local ABCFW&S store yesterday that they just got in the day before.
Poured out of a 12 oz. can into a Cuvee glass; that typical amber to dark orange Jai Alai body with a slightly more tan colored head, which had tons of bubbles. Dissipated fairly quick, but left a nice crown of lacing on the top of the glass.
Tons of vanilla. oak, tropical fruits and spiciness on the nose!
Taste is phenomenal! That Jai Alai back bone is there, just hiding in the background, up front is the oak - vanilla, that dill quality the speak of on the outside of the can, some pineapple sweetness, and plenty of citrus.
Not much bitterness on this the oak really imparts a sweetness and the carbonation that's there is just enough to ease the sweetness on the end.
Tons of flavors all over the place!
Another great beer that I have wanted the past couple of years and when the dude at the store told me they got some in, after I told him I was there for the Marshal Zhukov's, and "do you want one?" Sure do! I should have bought the whole 4 pack instead of 2 cans! This is a great variant of Jai Alai and very well done by CCB. (1,145 characters)

Just landed tonight:)

Pour is a little darker amber than the traditional Jai Alai. Its more of an amber.

The smell is just amazing and perfect. Sweet sticky hops dominate the hose . Oranges and lemons really just explode, and the oak is slightly peppery.

Ok so the taste. The first, and most important thing is the wood. It adds a peppery bitterness which just sets this thing apart. The hops are fruity and citric upfront with a serious oranges and lemons taking over. I never knew that peppery fruit was a good thing, but yes it is.

The body is super light, with only a hint of powdery malt really showing through the blast of hops and wood. The hops extracts feel slick, which just helps the drinkability.

This is definitely the best wood-aged IPA ive had yet. Burton Baton is out of the question, but Oaked Unearthly from Southern Tier was close. This one has more of a balance and a better hop bill. The fruits still shine through everything, while the oak aging is a fantastic accent. (997 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a Cigar City tulip glass. Pours a clear golden amber color with an off-white head with great retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is nothing short of amazing. There is a lot of tropical fruits and citrus notes from the hops with some of the woody/oak notes from the White Oak treatment. What a fantastic aroma, I could smell this all day long.

T- The taste like the aroma is filled with delicious hops flavors. There is some malt up front with a little oak in the background and a nice amount of bitterness from the hops in the finish. Just picked these bottles up from the brewery a couple of days ago, these taste super fresh!

M- The mouthfeel is between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, White Oak Jai Alai is one of my favorite beers from CCB. I tried it on-tap when it was first released but I'm glad they are now bottling it. (900 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured into a stemmed tulip. Thanks goes to Todes for this one.

A - Beautiful orange amber that almost looks like it is glowing. Big fluffy yellow tinted white head on top. Nice sticky lacing is on the side of the glass as this one goes down.

S - Sweet pineapple, mango and other tropical fruit smells with a nice sweetness in there. Honestly one of the best smelling IPA's I've ever smelt.

T - Once again some mango like sweetness with a nice touch of citrus and tropical flavored hops. The white oak is definitely present and takes away some hop bite but this is still delicious. Easily is the best oak aged IPA I've had yet.

M - medium body with a good amount of carbonation and a bit of sticky syrupyness.

D - really drinkable. A really solid IPA. The smell is phenomenal and the tropical fruit qualities in the taste is fantastic. After having 110k + OT 3 I wasn't expecting much from this but now I see why Cigar City is so well regarded. (949 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Grey Sail pint.

Appearance- Hazy copper with no head and a good bit of sediment floating around.

Smell- Oak (go figure), caramel malts, light piney hops, vanilla bean, mango (tropical Fruit). Very exciting!

Taste- Oaky caramel and vanilla, light piney hops with a solid malt backbone. No real fruit as was in the nose. Finishes smooth and malty with a light hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Based on the taste of the beer, I want more viscosity.

Overall- Soooo much different than normal Jai Alai. Tastes more like a heavily oaked Bigfoot. (611 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark copper with two fingers of white fluffy head. Darker than Jai Alai with some big soapy bubbles that aren't typical of the original. The smell is mango, orange juice, and tangerine, coming off quite a bit sweeter and riper than original Jai Alai. I have to try pretty hard to pick up on the smell of oak. The taste is sweet vanilla up front, followed by a grapefruit bite and an earthy oak finish. The beer has a superb balance that attenuates any bitterness. This is miles ahead of the smoky mess that is the Humidor Series Jai Alai and I dare say that I like it more than original Jai Alai, which is my go-to IPA. (625 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing