Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
meatyard

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a hazy, amber orange with a large, dense, pillowy white head. Retention is excellent and so is the lacing. A very pretty looking beer.

The smell is oak with some pine quickly following. It really is an unusual aroma for an IPA yet doesn't take anything away from it.

The taste is, again, oak up front followed by pine hops, some sweet malt and finishes with more oak.

Mouthfeel is full, nicely carbonated and has just a faint hint of bitterness.

This is a very drinkable IPA. The hops don't blister your tongue, ABV is only moderately high and drinking one leaves you wanting another.

12-27-2010 01:02:18 | More by meatyard
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

From 10/12/13 tasting notes.

Jai Alai India Pale Ale aged on white Oak

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Served chilled. Split this one. Thanks Jeff...

A ) Cloudy pale amber with some sediment floating about as well. About a half finger of head. Decent retention.

S) I found quite a bit of grapefruit in the aroma, but not overly bitter. There is a nice balance created by the oak in use here. A whiff of vanilla sweetness too.

T) My initial thought was, this is like enjoying a halved grapefruit with a little dusting of sugar. Light tropical fruit as well, but this is mainly about the citrus. I also really appreciated the white oak, creating a slightly woody flavor, with a touch of vanilla.

M) Medium bodied, and quite smooth. The carbonation was not to lively, but had enough. Nice finish + aftertaste.

O) If forced to choose, I'd stick with regular Jai Alai, but this is really a unique and tasty brew. Guess it's a good thing I won't be forced to choose. Glad to recommend...,

10-14-2013 03:35:44 | More by RoamingGnome
MusicaleMike

4.15/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours with a peach-colored sea foam-like head that tops a very murky, cloudy, indeed almost chunky, deep orange-colored body. Head looks sturdy, and appears to lace well. It does very well actually.

Excellent oak aroma mixed at just the right amount with the hops. Resinous, piney, grapefruit like hops sit immediately underneath this woody, warm, beautiful oak aroma, lending hints of sweet honeydew melon as it mixes with the hops.

Very nice first sip, which comes off as an IPA first and foremost, with a standard bitter profile (though not too bitter), accompanied by a distinct oak exhale. This is quickly followed by a trace of sourness on the palette, close to the finish. The aftertaste is splendid, all white oak and a lingering bitterness. The following sips provide more of the same, though the sourness I perceived at first seems to dissipate. Here, the beer is an IPA given a very nice treatment in oak. I really love the combination of IPA with barrel aging. The oak helps in the way of balancing the bitterness. There isn't much sweetness here, though the aroma indicates that. The malt comes to play in the finish and at the swallow, leaving a caramel like flavor to accompany the oak.

The carbonation is good, though might be a touch more lively than I would like to see it. And the body is a hefty one, feeling quite full bodied. The finish is semi-dry, astringent from the excess of hops.

In contrast to the barrel aged 10-10-10 that I had last night, this is clearly a more refined beer. The bourbon notes overpowered the hops a bit too much. Here, without the sweet bourbon, the oak provides a flavor complexity, without "sweetening" the IPA. I'm not sure what the alcohol is here, but it was more appropriate for the 10% beer to have a bourbon treatment. This wouldn't work here. I think that White Oak Jai Alai is a phenomenal IPA and I would say this only deepens my love for Florida beers.

07-31-2013 15:00:06 | More by MusicaleMike
GJ40

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle received in a trade with surge1311. No date on the bottle.

A - Golden with a haze and lot of sediment. A moderate beige head. Good lacing.

S - Oak and tropical fruit that grows as it warms. Very exotic and very unique.

T - A very interesting mix of flavors. I don't normally like wood influenced IPAs but this was very unique and well done. The mild bitterness really let the tropical fruit and oak notes play off each other. The wood was firm but not overdone.

M - A moderate consistency and carbonation that let the flavors take the lead.

O - Not one I'd drink often but one I'm very glad a tried.

06-03-2013 11:39:15 | More by GJ40
ksimons

4.16/5  rDev -1.2%

A-a clear bright amber with two fingers worth of light cream colored head

S-pale bready malt, light vanilla sweetness, and citrus and pine hops

T-pale malt backbone with citric and piney hop bitterness, tropical fruits, and vanilla

M-medium body, moderate carbonation, bitter finish

Overall an interesting take on the original version, vanilla gives it a little something different

02-18-2014 22:53:11 | More by ksimons
woodychandler

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer!

04-20-2014 16:14:05 | More by woodychandler
jale

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Pours a light amber-orange with a good finger of white head lasting for a while.

S: Wonderful citrus hop aroma. Vanilla and just a hint of orange. Light caramel malt and Oak

T: Sweet vanilla followed by orange then some oak. Mellow hop finish. As I drink this, more flavors come out. I would like a little less oak in the finish

M: Slightly sticky. Nice carbonation

D: Wish I had a case. I was a wine guy long before a beer guy so I really enjoy the use of oak.

Big thanks to Thorpe for this treat.

01-13-2011 23:27:13 | More by jale
Yimosan

On tap at Cigar City.

A - Cloudy and honey-like in color. Nice head retention and sticky lacing.

S - Citrus and pine as an IPA should smell, but there is also a nice hint of vanilla and tropical fruits.

T - Citrusy but not pungent. I think the oak aging mellows out the Jai Alai base and makes it more drinkable, IMO.

M - Beautiful carbonation and creaminess throughout the session.

D - A very smooth and easy drinking IPA. I think the oak adds a gorgeous complexity to the aroma and palate.

Definitely A Winner...move over Humidor!!

Salud!!

09-24-2010 21:33:37 | More by Yimosan
kbutler1

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle. Pours a slightly hazed copper amber orange color with a very small bubbled tight antique white head. The aroma is very different than most IPA's I have ever smelled with notes of pineapple, coconut, mango, and some citrus. The oak must really have an effect on the aroma. Medium mouthfeel with a nice amojnt of carbonation. The taste is sweet tropical fruit flavor followed by a nice hop bitterness in the end that lingers on for a while. Nice lace left on the glass as I drink this. The oak shows through in the beginning as well. It still amazes me all the things CCB does with a great base beer as the White Oak version is great!

12-06-2010 21:54:23 | More by kbutler1
TotallyHosed

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Heatwave33 for the bottle.

Poured into a highball glass.

Has a slightly off-white head, about a finger thick, that leaves some nice lace on the glass. The color reminds me of bright apple cider that's opaque enough to hide the bubbles.

The smell is full of sweet oak with a little bit of hops hiding behind. It makes my mouth water, so I dove right in.

The taste matches the smell at the start: oaky sweetness. The oak subsides a bit and allows some hoppy bitterness. The bitter steps aside and all that's left is a creamy oak flavor.

For an oak aged beer, I'm surprised with the carbonated feel, especially considering other wood barreled beers that I've had. This is a nice surprise.

Overall I really enjoyed this brew. I've had a few other oaked IPA's in the past and was disappointed. I never detected any of the alcohol, which for me is always impressive.

Recommended

12-24-2011 03:49:38 | More by TotallyHosed
axeman9182

4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle, a great extra from djmichaelk. It was poured into my petite Duvel tulip.

White Oak Jai Alai pours a fairly hazy orange, lightening plenty towards tangerine when held up to light. Three fingers or so of fluffy white foam comes together to top the beer. Head retention is very good, and some solid chunks of lacing are left attached around the inside of the glass. The nose is very fragrant, and features a nice blend of grapefruit and lemon zests, and a distinct dill aroma. Just a little bit of oakiness is appreciable as well. The flavor takes things up a notch, and everything really comes together nicely. A soft caramel sweetness opens, bolstered by some vanilla from the oak. A fairly noticeable bitterness greets my palate next, along with some earthy, spicy oak flavors. That same dill presence from the aroma acts as a bridge to the traditional citrus finish. Ideally I'd like the grapefruit and pineapple flavors to pop just a little bit more, but the balance really is almost perfect. I don't know if it's the tannins from the oak, but the body just feels a little full to me. It's partnered with a plenty active level of carbonation though. I've had regular Jai Alai before and enjoyed it without thinking it particularly stood out from the pack as far as IPAs go, but this oaked version is a fantastic twist on one of the more popular craft beer styles.

11-17-2012 04:15:30 | More by axeman9182
chefhatt

4.19/5  rDev -0.5%

Can served at paradise by the slice.
Poured into a glass, it has a burnt orange color body with a small head. The aroma has a pine, citrus hints to it. The taste is oak and vanilla up front with piney hoppy ness to it. Also has a sweetness to it.
The mouthfeel is smooth and overall it is a great beer.

03-07-2014 02:20:38 | More by chefhatt
rudylaw

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Big thanks to Kiefdog for this awesome extra!

Pours a cloudy gold with a thin head.

A very woody aroma. Getting hints of coconut, pine and butterscotch.

Oakiness is dominant in this IPA. Sweet malts are not to be overshadowed and I'm really digging the butterscotch flavor that this has. This is sweet and bitter... good balance.

Medium carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. This is a winner! For a brewery with such oddball concoctions... this one really strikes a chord with me. Kudos!

09-22-2010 00:44:13 | More by rudylaw
pwoods

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Big thanks to Blazer06 for this awesome extra.

12oz. Brown bottle poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a copper tinted firy orange. Decent sized head on the pour and it still holds for a bit even with the oak aging. Good lacing.

S: lots of tropical fruits with pineapple and papaya in the front with mango and some other citrus backing it up. Plenty of spicy oak... Almost cedar like spiciness. Herbal and maybe even a touch of pepper.

T/M: Not a lot of bitterness left but understandable and not extremely off putting. More of the tropical fruits and citrus with more of the pineapple/papaya/mango tastiness. Very balanced oaking, very tasty with the herbal and spiciness notes. Body is medium to medium light with smooth carbonation.

D: Very tasty and drinkable beer and interesting at the same time.

10-12-2010 04:25:32 | More by pwoods
dbossman

Nebraska

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Amber hue with a huge, bright and steady head; bubbles move slowly and steadily up the glass; lacing is wonderful

S: A balance of grapefruit hops and slightly sweet toffee and caramel like malts; a black pepper spice underneath the malts and hops; also a subtle grainy and woody back end to the aromas

T: Wow! I did not expect that bitter hop explosion after the somewhat subtle aromas; besides the obvious grapefruit and citrus from the hops there is a black pepper spice and obvious oaky quality that so nicely complements the hops and helps them blend so well with the strong malted backbone; this is a good tasting beer that I wish didn't have such a dry finish, but all in all this tastes awesome

F: The beer does quickly vanish from the back of the mouth--the dryness is probably due to the oak, but it does distract from the beer just a bit; it just doesn't have that oily stickiness that I prefer from a hoppy IPA

O: This is a darn good oak-aged IPA; I generally like wood aged IPAs and this might be right up there with the best of them; the dry aftertaste does take away a tad from the overall beer but all in all this is a great beer from Cigar City

04-16-2011 17:04:18 | More by dbossman
billyshears

Maryland

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

Finishing up my last one. poured into a Duvel Tulip.

a:decent off-white head with pretty good retention. reddish amber body. some lacing

s: this is why i put it in the tulip. when i was at the brewery, they opened up and threw down 4 of these bottles on the crate. little did i know of the surprise that was in store: i took a sniff and i was blown away! it was only then did i notice that it was the white oak aged jai alai. so glad that i was exposed to it cause i didn't even notice it was on sale either and probably would've bypassed it completely. i really could smell this all day. if it was a shampoo, i would make sure my gf used this constantly. the white oak completely takes the nose to the next level, it starts with the hop cirtus sweetness and notches it all the way up to pineapple as well as giving it a bit of a coconut-y and vanilla vibe. as SpeedwayJim mentioned, it's like a pina coloda... with a few trees around. not the most complex but just very pleasant.

t:sugary sweet with sweet fruits and citrus. a bit of piney hop bitterness lingering on the back. doesn't quite live up to the nose but still very nice. The White Oak certainly kicks the hops down a notch, which could be bad as it is an IPA and that's what most are looking for.

m: moderate carbonation, medium body. as expected for an ipa aged on oak.

d: very tasty but u cant really drink too many of these i think. not really a session as much as a special treat.

the fact that i first had this while in the cigar city brewery and that it was so unexpected may have bumped this a bit higher, but i really enjoyed the few, really fresh bottles i had of this.

02-11-2011 03:25:49 | More by billyshears
rel

Out the bottle.

Poured a dark, cloudy orange with a large white head. No vibrant colors, but beautiful lacing and retention.

This beer has a very woody smell. Its like being in a damp forest, but not particularly an oak forest. I live in one, I know the smell. Very comforting. Some of the usual IPA characteristics, flowery hops, citrus notes.

On the front the beer is bitter, with citrus notes that mellow out into flowery hops. In the finish, the oak really comes through. Definitely oak. Works very well with the IPA. Perfect carbonation.

I really, really enjoyed this beer. Flowers and woods come together!

09-14-2011 01:14:06 | More by rel
thain709

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A bottle on IPA Day 2011. A big thanks to whomever provided this bottle.

A - Poured a hazy, burnt orange body with a creamy, white, two finger head...the head fell to a full cap and showed some nice lacing

S - Nothing but a big dose of fresh, white oak...the hops are there but they are a bit muted and taken over by the oak...there's not much sweetness to the nose

T - Again, the oak reigns supreme on the palate...it never fades from the nose...speaking of fading, I believe the hops are faded a bit...there is a tiny bit of underlying grapefruit providing a slight bitterness towards the end of the beer...the sweetness is at a minimal level...as I said, there is a minimal hop bitterness at the end combining with a bright oak flavor

M - Medium bodied...the oak dries out the palate leaving a fresh feeling

O - This was one of the best IPA's I had on IPA Day...I feel this one had been sitting for a while since the hops were faded and the oak was big...I like that the oak was a brighter flavor than normal...it really added a nice profile to the beer

08-07-2011 17:28:17 | More by thain709
BlackBearForge

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

White oak Aged Jai Alai pours a slightly cloudy tangerine amber with a smallish white head falling rather quickly and leaving a slippery film with light froth as lacing.

The aroma is one of the more distinctive beer scents I've run across. Strong citrus hop scents are nearly muted by a heavy woody and herbal scent from the white oak. If I hadn't read the description first I would have had a time running down the fresh herb scent and damned if it isn't fresh chopped dill along with a background of vanilla and freshly baked bread. Pretty amazing aroma actually.

Wow, this is Jai Alai Plus, fresh juicy citrussy hops as expected from Jai Alai and the Plus is the flavor added by the aging on white oak, an astringent woody flavor with the prevalent note of vanilla and a hint of tobacco. The fresh bready malts back up the hops and woody tones while the astringency lends an extra touch of dryness on the decidedly bitter finish. The white oak noted are among the strongest I've run across before and could easily be overpowering but I think a tight-rope act of balancing was achieved here by the brewers at Cigar City.

The mouthfeel is smooth and firm but manages to stay on the lighter side of medium in heaviness. Carbonation is moderate and lightly biting on the tongue.

A very pleasant and enjoyable take on Jai Alai that I enjoyed.

02-11-2013 00:04:54 | More by BlackBearForge
AdamBear

4.2/5  rDev -0.2%

A-dark amber, almost with a reddish tint to it, good amount of cream colored head, fairly bubbly, some lacing

S-smells like bitter spicy hops. there's a strong stale grassy scent to it as well. its also a bit malty. there's a good strength to it, but this doesn't smell particularly tasty.

T-comes in with a really stale grass taste slightly (very slightly) outlined in hops. this taste lasts and then becomes the after-taste. There's only a slight bitterness toward the ends and there is no large hops presence which i find to be fairly disappointing. however there's a great sweetness here that i'm loving. its almost a taste of vanilla. its flows very nicely in this IPA.

M-good creamy carbonation with a good creamy finish

D-the tastes stay nice and pronounced. its actually a really good beer. Its definitely a different IPA, possibly not for all hop heads. however for me it hits the spot just right, i could have a whole case of these and it would disappear pretty quickly. i'd like to try this with some age on it.

01-19-2011 01:40:44 | More by AdamBear
tikk

4.21/5  rDev 0%

Holy vanilla Batman.
Thanks to Abriggs1.

Pours a light tan with a light head, leaves some lacing as it goes.

Smell is vanilla oak, almost too much vanilla for this much oak.

Taste strong vanilla, some sweetness and oakiness, get that hop bitterness at the end, a vanilla oaky citrus overall.

Something doesn't feel right on the mouthfeel, just a little too lite for me.

Overall I love this beer, would I go for two in a session? No way. I would have more over time? Oh yeah.

Highly recommended

02-15-2014 04:31:17 | More by tikk
Mora2000

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is the pine and citrus that I expect from Jai Alai, but it is accented with some oaked notes.

The flavor is more of the same. There is a light oak flavor that compliments the pine, citrus and pineapple notes. I think the oak cuts the bitterness, which is lower than I remember from the regular Jai Alai. Very well done.

Medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel.

11-18-2010 05:44:00 | More by Mora2000
Vec2267

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

A: orange with white lace that maintains throughout the glass

S: floral, piny, wood

T: wood and hops, the oak is definitely front and center, but in a very complimentary, mellow manner it balances the bitter of the hops, dry

M: on the creamy side for the style without becoming syrupy

D: 12 ounces is about the right amount, it is very enjoyable wow this is different, but I would not want more than one in a session, but I certainly enjoyed the one

01-09-2011 00:02:47 | More by Vec2267
kkipple

South Carolina

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Todes and Bobby8402 for hauling some of this up fer me!

12oz bottle, no bottled on date, says: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak". Okay!

A. A very pretty head on this baby, dense and fluffy, long lasting and solid. Tiny amounts of lace and active carbonation beautify my Sam Adams pint glass. The dull mandarin orange brew seriously needs drinking.

S. Smells just like Jai Alai but with a bunch of dry, spicy oak! Woodsy and reminds me of an oaky white wine. The IPA here is no slouch either: a sweet-sticky grapefruit hop presence with a significant floral orange note. A delightful take on an already good nose.

T. Flavor is solid, a tasty, sticky well-balanced (and high abv...) IPA with added characterful wood. The oak works well here, and Cigar City made the right call by not going with a heavy toasted oak, as I feel it would have been too much. The oak here also dries this out a little in the finish and wraps the hop bitterness up and tames it a little -- I think this is honestly an improvement on the base beer! In fact, as I drink more of it, I'm quite confident in saying so.

M / D. Adequate carbonation here, medium bodied mouthfeel, honey-hop bitterness with that dash of smug oak again in the finish. There really is no escaping it.

White Oak Jai Alai is really great, and a fun take on an already above-average East Coast IPA. Highly recommended, and I hope Cigar City makes this a seasonal offering. Delicious!

09-23-2010 22:38:37 | More by kkipple
AdamGarcia

12oz btl served in a Stella glass

A: Initial pour results in a glass half filled hazy golden orange liquid and the other half with fluffy luxurious cream colored head. Head dissipates into rocky formations as I try to fit the rest of the beer into the glass.

S: Very unique. Soft vanilla aroma. Honey drenched herbal hop scents. Picking up a little fresh mint. Sugary and spicy. The smell is like no IPA I've ever encountered and its tremendous, certainly not typical, but amazing nonetheless.

T: Mirrors scent in a lot of ways. It is clear that Jai Alai is the base beer, but the white oak treatment has made it much better than the original IMHO. Sweet vanilla and woody flavors accentuate some of the strong qualities of the standard brew. Hops are slightly subdued but some citrus, herbal, and spicy notes are present. Sweet fruity flavors are abundant. The finish is very neutral, with a balance between sweet and dry.

M: Has a coating feel. Carbonation is good.

D: I wish I had another bottle or two. This is a unique beer that will hold one's interest.

Enjoyed this much more than the standard Jai Alai. Looking forward to trying other versions.

12-09-2010 23:32:35 | More by AdamGarcia