Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

3.51/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- dark honey hue in coor, with lots of head, medium retention.

S- Oak with some citrus qualities of Jai Alai. Grapefruit, lemon other tropical fruits.

T- The oak thing throws me off. I like reg better.

M- Best part of the brew. Has a creamy texture. Medium carb

O- I would take reg any day over this

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ahhhh, another wonderful offering from Cigar City. I was quite fortunate to be one of my lbs when this was delivered. The beer guru never heard of it and was intrigued by its existence. I took the 4 pack home along with the Hopped on the High Seas Citra and new I was in for a treat! My first impression was coconut. The oak barrel contributed such a wonderful coconut flavor to this already stellar brew. I felt like I was on a tropical beach in the dead of winter. We actually had about a foot of snow on the ground when I popped the tab. Try this beer if you like Jai Alai. I love coconut and that's all I could think of with this brew. Awesome job!!

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cigar City Brewing - White Oak Aged Jai Alai, poured into a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a hazy deep caramel amber with a huge foamy head that retains some and leaves a ton of lacing.

Smell - The oak is definitely center stage with the juicy hop profile next and malt buried somewhere underneath.

Taste - Hoppy citrus with a wave of smooth woody oaky vanilla after and a pine wood finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and drinkable, refreshing pine. Rests dill.

Overall - I really liked this brew, hard to get into these wood-aged IPAs but it is an acquired taste, I'd like to get my hands on some more varieties.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%