2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 1,101 | Reviews: 314 | Show All Ratings:
Danny1217

4.6/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange amber with a two finger white head. Nice sticky lacing. Good looking beer.
Smells of Grapefruit, vanilla, and coconut. Nice hop aroma balanced with sweetness from the oak. Incredible smell.
Tastes of citrus and vanilla. Orange, grapefruit, and coconut. Good balance. Bitter hop taste is melded together with the sweetness from the oak. Dry finish. Medium body and carbonation.

I still may like regular Jai Alai slightly better, but this is definitely a nice twist to one of my favorite beers.

11-06-2012 23:39:09 | More by Danny1217
taylor714914

4.8/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Wow, CCB NAILED this one. What a phenomenal beer.

Pours a slightly darker straw color than expected, perhaps from the oak.
Smells of intense hops, vanilla, and biscuit malts.

Taste is where this excels. Pungent hops and sweet biscuit malts play perfectly against one another with the white oak adding vanilla similar to cream soda. The finish is spot on with the light tannins of the oak and the vanilla a well.

Overall, perhaps one of the best IPAs I've ever had.

10-05-2013 13:51:26 | More by taylor714914
TKEbeerman

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

Picked up a 4 pack from the brewery. This one will be in stores very soon.

A: Poured into my pint glass, this brew pours a little hazier orange than regular Jai Alai with a wonderful pillow like head that is leaving some decent lace. This is exactly what one should expect in an IPA.

S: The aroma is heavy citrus and piney hops. You can make out a mellowing of the malt due to the oak aging. The complexity of this brew is getting much better with each edition from CCB.

T: The flavor of this IPA is more along the lines of a California DIPA. Seems like CCB upped the hops for the barrel aging, but those hops decided to stick around. Lots of complexity and real oak/vanilla flavors. Fruit notes still shine through, along with sweet malty goodness.

MF: The mouthfeel is smooth, full, and well carbonated. The hops don't tear up your pallet. This is a nice one.

D: Drinkability is great.

Overall, I can't believe how well crafted this IPA is. The white oak aging is just one factor here. Seems like every version (Humidor IPA being my favorite) of Jai Alai is stellar.

12-01-2010 23:06:23 | More by TKEbeerman
TheDudeRules

4.7/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into my over sized Founder's snifter.

Liquid is a cloudy amber with a fingers width of off white head. I let it settle a bit before I sniff. A good amount of lacing helplessly clings to my glass. Pleasant smelling. Tropical foot with a wood kick. A huge whiff of stone fruit that is quickly beaten down by a cedar stick. Quite interesting. Wood dominates my palate. Stone fruit slowly follows. The caramel of the malt is in there but the supporting role is very small. A nice hop bite rounds out the sip. The aftertaste is so damn satisfying I pause long in between sips. The carbonation is dialed right in.

If I had more there would be a pile of bottles next to my kitchen sink. This is a winner.

07-07-2011 01:26:30 | More by TheDudeRules
fields336

3.98/5  rDev -5.5%

A: light brown, orange

S: light vanilla, oak wood, dill, tropical fruits, and earthy hops

T: vanilla, dill, pepper, peach, pineapple, mango, oak wood, herbal

M: creamy mouthfeel, not rough at all, almost a nitro mouthfeel

O: this beer tastes very different from jai alai, but in a good way. I like the flavors and the best parts of jai alai shine through

12-19-2012 23:57:44 | More by fields336
JohnG190

4.46/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy orange color with a thin, off-white head. Good retention and lacing. Strong aroma of oak followed by tropical fruit, citrus, and sweet malt. Great fruit palate with a strong malt backbone. Vanilla, coconut and oak notes come out mid palate and linger through the finish. If this were a blind tasting, I'd never guess that the base of this beer was Jai Alai. Smooth mouthfeel, with a nice dry finish. Decent carbonation. Overall, this is one of the finest wood aged IPAs I've ever tasted! CCB doesn't disappoint!

10-06-2013 23:13:55 | More by JohnG190
punkrkr27

Growler shared by FlandersNed at the June '10 Metro Detroit tasting. Gold colored pour with a loose white head. The aroma is white pine, oak and toffee. Amazingly fragrant. Like smelling an evergreen forest. The flavor is big citrus with lots of juniper, pine and faint honey. Creamy, medium body with low carbonation.

01-17-2011 19:51:38 | More by punkrkr27
sleuthdog

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle sent to me from LiquidDegenerate. Thanks Jim!

Poured into CCB snifter

Pour: White Oak Jai Alai is a light copper orange color with a two finger head. Retention of the head was not much and lacing is along edges of the glass after receding.

Smell: The biggest aspect of the nose of this beer is it's smoothness. There is a light oak and kiss of vanilla. The hops are there but not in your face and melded together with the oak seamlessly. Citrus is the hops I get and it is very subdued. Is that a nutty coconut aroma I get?

Taste: The taste is a unbelievably smooth to me. Again the oak and vanilla are blended with the hops to create one hell of a unique IPA. I get some of the coconut especially as it warms a bit. It is fruity and juicy and not overly bitter.

Mouthfeel: Talk about silky smooth. This beer is about as smooth as an IPA can get I think. It is medium bodied with light carbonation. This sticks to the palate to a decent degree and just adds to that magical silky feel.

Overall: I really enjoy the regular version of this but this is such an awesome change to an already stellar IPA. I wish I had regular access to this because I would most likely have it on hand most all the time.

07-29-2013 01:12:11 | More by sleuthdog
AdamGarcia

12oz btl served in a Stella glass

A: Initial pour results in a glass half filled hazy golden orange liquid and the other half with fluffy luxurious cream colored head. Head dissipates into rocky formations as I try to fit the rest of the beer into the glass.

S: Very unique. Soft vanilla aroma. Honey drenched herbal hop scents. Picking up a little fresh mint. Sugary and spicy. The smell is like no IPA I've ever encountered and its tremendous, certainly not typical, but amazing nonetheless.

T: Mirrors scent in a lot of ways. It is clear that Jai Alai is the base beer, but the white oak treatment has made it much better than the original IMHO. Sweet vanilla and woody flavors accentuate some of the strong qualities of the standard brew. Hops are slightly subdued but some citrus, herbal, and spicy notes are present. Sweet fruity flavors are abundant. The finish is very neutral, with a balance between sweet and dry.

M: Has a coating feel. Carbonation is good.

D: I wish I had another bottle or two. This is a unique beer that will hold one's interest.

Enjoyed this much more than the standard Jai Alai. Looking forward to trying other versions.

12-09-2010 23:32:35 | More by AdamGarcia
Justin_Neff

4.03/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to smokinoak for the bottle!

A: Cloudy burnt orange color with a very sticky white head that loses fluffiness quickly but laces the glass for an extended period of time.

S: The overwhelming oak smell creates a pleasant faux coconut whiff. The end of the smell finishes a hoppy and citrus oak-centric smell.

T: Starts really sweet, but the oakiness balances out the sweetness towards the finish. Not a lot of hoppiness, but there is enough hidden in between the oak and smoke that it creates a special taste. This is very unique.

M: Medium body with medium carbonation level. Naturally carbonation dissipates a little as it warms, which only brings more flavor out. Very good balance.

O: The smell says it all with this one. Take a whiff and expect to taste what you're smelling. The oak and smokey flavors tone down the natural sweetness to create a very different experience. Best after sitting for just a few minutes so the flavors can open up and expand. I could drink a whole sixer of this on a summer day. I will actually try to trade for more. THANK YOU SMOKINOAK!

10-10-2012 23:40:53 | More by Justin_Neff
UTCengOwl

4.68/5  rDev +11.2%

Had this on tap at CCB. Definitely my favorite thing I had there... and I was a big fan of the Humidor IPA from a previous tasting, too. Just plain interesting. Where can I get some White Oak? Served in a shaker pint glass.

The beer has a creamy, inviting foamy head that just opens my eyes and waters my mouth. Heck yes. You can tell they put a lot of effort into clean glassware here... and since I'm getting it at the brewery, I feel like I can include that in the beer's score. The body itself is a slightly hazy, standard IPA. However, the head alone merits the 4.5.

The IPA was fruity as all get go... and that's how I love my IPAs. They said it was made with a blend of hops and dry hopped with Simcoe. Every one of them added to the smell and taste. It was a veritable mixture of fruits and succulent flavors. The oak itself provides a different kind of fruit flavor. This stuff is addictive and I keep loving every extra sip. In addition to the wonderful flavor, the mouthfeel is solid, but not mindblowing. This isn't exactly a Live Oak beer or anything... but it will do the job.

CCB's experimentation provides some hits and misses, but this hits all over the place. This may be my favorite standard IPA I've had and I'd jump at the chance to have it on tap again.

06-25-2011 18:29:27 | More by UTCengOwl
Ratman197

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle courtesy of Doodler (thanks Scott) poured a clear orange amber with a lingering ring of amber foam. Aromas of oak, vanilla, orange, light pine and a hint of carmel. Palate was medium bodied and crisp with a dry finish. Flavors of oak, vanilla, pink grapefruit, light orange and a hint of pine with a crisp dry moderatly bitter lingering oak finish.

11-30-2011 23:45:06 | More by Ratman197
Powderhornphil

3.91/5  rDev -7.1%

Pours deep orange. It was pretty clear until the last of the bottle was poured, then lots of sediment clouded my glass. Kind of wish I left the last bit in the bottle.

Smells very woody almost like a freshly cut piece of timber, I am also getting subdued hops and honey sweetness.

Tastes of waxy honey comb, vanilla tannins, slight mango. An interesting combo of flavors for sure, but I find my self missing the fresh tropical and guava notes on the original.

Medium mouthfeel and carb.

Overall, not as fruity and tropical as the regular Jai Alai which as it turns out I prefer to this. An enjoyable offering from CCB, but would not got to great lengths to seek out again.

05-04-2013 02:14:30 | More by Powderhornphil
Kkottonmouthkngz

4.38/5  rDev +4%

A: peach fuzz/ amber orange, two finger off white head in perfect pint. cloudy to a point, clears up a little over time.
S: strangely enough, im reminded of the shorts anniversary i had a few nights ago, mainly because i feel like i get some kind of pepper, or peppercorn fairly up front. honeybell oranges and strong, dense citrus dominate, this is a whole different animal.
T: again i feel like i get some kind of peppercorn aspects in the flavor, maybe its the oak. theres grapefruit, blood orange, orange zest, heat, oak... a little bit of everything, except the kitchen sink. damn this thing is intense.
M: an initial moderate carbonation level tapers off to yield a creamy and smooth finish. mild bitterness all the way through, but more just open playing field for intense and solid flavor profile.
D: im finally reviewing this after having a few bottles over a months time, and id drink it again, and again.. and again. really glad i got to experience it, and hopefully theyll do it again. absolutely delicious.

03-02-2011 02:19:41 | More by Kkottonmouthkngz
Chizoad

3.15/5  rDev -25.2%

3rd of the Jai Alai "varietals" I've had now. I really appreciate that Cigar City experiments so much with their beers, and that they do a good job with it on top of the crazy styles.

On-tap at the brewery.

Big deep amber frothy beer. Doesn't really resemble pale ale, and certainly not the pale part of it. Still, a good looking beer.

No mistaking it, this beer smells like an oak tree. Imagine an oaky wine, and how it smells after you've emptied the glass. Make that oak smell slightly more aggressive, and that's what is in this. A little disconcerting in an APA.

The oak unfortunately totally overwhelmed the rest of the beer to the point of making it nearly undrinkable, at least until the beer warmed up and the oak chemicals had a chance to evaporate off or whatever they do. The strong malt backbone was barely there, and hops were also subdued by the majestic oak tree. Less oak = better, and made this one an interesting oddity that I'm glad I had but would never seek out again.

Edit: I just read other people's reviews, and it seems that my experience with this one was not the norm at all. Perhaps I had a different batch?

08-04-2011 20:44:18 | More by Chizoad
timc100

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic aroma - a great blend of barrel and dank hoppiness. Oaky vanilla and coconut come out strongly - great organic woodiness. The citrus and pine comes through and really blend well with the oak. The taste is more bitter than the nose suggesteed with grapefruit being the prominent flavor. The oak is very smooth - vanilla.

Awesome oak aged IPA - takes the base up a notch

09-27-2013 06:02:53 | More by timc100
BennyL1

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

Just had a bottle of the regular Jai Alai, now on to the White Oak version. Once again thanks to GallowsThief for the brew.

A - Pours a hazy copper color, not to much different the regular version. A good amount of foamy white head caps off the brew. Good lacing the along the class as well

S - The difference between the base brew and this one is definitely noticeable in the nose. Oak aroma is there for sure with a bit of pepper in there. Hop notes are in there for sure, just not as dominate.

T - Hop bitterness is noticeable with the first taste but a smooth wood character presents itself which mellows everything out very nicely. The oak combined with the malt bill balances this out almost perfectly.

M - Medium body with a creamy finish. Carbonation is also right on.

D - I was thoroughly impressed with the regular Jai Alai, this one was a step above due to the oak character. Great brew, one that if I can get my hands on again I would for sure.

02-11-2011 02:24:05 | More by BennyL1
CuttDeez

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Copper mixed with a yellow orange colored bodied. The head was substantial and white and it faded quickly but left a good lace.

S - Great balance of piney and citrus hops. The Smeel lends itself to vanilla and oak on the back end as well.

T & M & D - A huge cirtus and piney hop bomb in the front that opens to great malt sweetness. The sweetness in the middle opens itself to vanilla. Then a great oak profile comes in and brings together the complexity of the taste. Great smooth medium bodied mouthfeel that coats the palate. Very drinkable.

O - An awesome oak aged IPA that has complex flavors and is incredibly drinkable. Love it

- Cheers

07-20-2011 01:01:07 | More by CuttDeez
Dan3279

4.22/5  rDev +0.2%

I am very lucky to have two uncles who live about twenty minutes away from Cigar City and they happened to be coming home to Cleveland and surprised me with a growler of this beer! I told them that I love stouts and IPA's so I was very happy when they pulled this out of the cooler!

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter to find a nice golden amber body with a nice one inch white head. The aroma was prominent with the citrus and oak with hints of the hops.

The taste is excellent, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Oak Aged IPA that I have ever had and I was very surprised. The citrus notes hit you first with some malts in the middle and hints of the oak at the end. This is another example of several different flavor profiles blended together so well. There is also some nice hints of sweetness in there that leave you wanting to drink more. This medium body beer was easy to drink and I easily put down the mini 32oz growler with ease.

Overall a great IPA and I really enjoyed sitting on the deck tonight enjoying this beer and I hope with my uncle living in the area that I get more great beers from Cigar City every time he comes home!

06-27-2011 01:04:56 | More by Dan3279
BrownAleMale

Wisconsin

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Ommegang chalice glass

Appearance- A murky reddish yellow with lots of carbonation and yeast particles floating. There was a finger or so of off white head that dissipates about half way and leaves nice streaky lacing.

Smell- Lots of fruit including mango and lime. Also an underlying vanilla sweetness.

Taste- Up front has sweet ripe fruit that is swept away and finished with a long woodsy and earthy finish.

Mouthfeel- Pretty heavy mouthfeel that could use a little more carbonation to help create a crisper finish.

Overall- I like the complexity that the oak aging bring to the smell, but it kinds of hinders the juicy fruit that you get from the original version. The oak brings more of a woodyness rather then a sweet vanilla. That being said, it is an excellent beer that I wouod definitly drink again.

01-07-2013 20:24:02 | More by BrownAleMale
bheilman

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -2.6%

Nice light golden color. The smell is great with strong oak; rich bourbon scents. The citrus scent I was expecting is fairly well muted by the oak. I usually like the hops scent, but I don't miss it too much here becuase it comes through strong in the taste. Tastes like an orange given a couple pin pricks, soaked in whiskey and then squeezed into a pale ale. It's definitely good. The tastes lingers with a bit of the hops and still some oak notes. It is fairly drinkable, but a bit strong to drink too many of these in a sitting.

01-22-2011 22:36:10 | More by bheilman
Pellinore1

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Thanks to CoastieSimon for this extra.

Pours light orange and just a little hazy, producing two fingers of white head. This slowly fades to a nice cap.

Some hops and malt are present in the nose, but the oak is dominant here. If somebody asked me what oak aging smells like in a beer, I would point them to this.

There is a very nice balance of hops, malt, and oak flavors in this beer. It leads in just a little sweet, then shows the bitter hops. The finish is dry, bitter, and oaky.

Medium-bodied with a nice level of carbonation, this is quite drinkable.

Overall, a very enjoyable beer. I find it much more interesting than standard Jai Alai, and am glad to have been able to try it.

01-29-2011 01:41:02 | More by Pellinore1
pigc

Nebraska

4.43/5  rDev +5.2%

A - Pours a dirty light copper with two finger head.

S - Citrus, pine, orange, tropical notes. Slight oak.

T - Mango, orange marmalade, citrus, pine. Bitterness is apparent yet not overwhelming. Slight oak taste from the barrel. Malt backbone is minimal. Slight sweetness. Nice dry finish.

M - Medium with average carbonation.

O - I enjoyed this oak aged version more than the standard Jai Alai. One of my favorites from this style. CCB hit the nail on the head with this one, well done!

12-11-2011 02:38:25 | More by pigc
WesM63

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip. Many thanks to dachshundude86 for this one.

A: Pours a dark hazy amber with a 1finger head that quickly dissipates to a thin film. Plenty of lacing is present.

S: Oak, Toffee, Vanilla, a hint of resin/pine a hint of tropical fruit lingers as well.

T: Very close to the nose. Lots of Oak, toffee, vanilla some pine and hint of grapefruit.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Finish's dry and slightly watery.

O: Not sure what to make of it. Lots of oak but minimal citrus /IPA. Worth a tick non the less.

01-15-2013 22:15:01 | More by WesM63
Genghis22

3.73/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Gusher! Exploded out of the bottle and pours a deep hazy amber color. Huge foamy slightly off white head. Lots of lacing.

S - Earthy hops with oak and alcohol. Faint hints of citrus. Bready, biscuity malt.

T - Big sweet biscuity maltiness. Lemongrass hops and wood. Bitterness sets in as the tongue dries out. Oak and alcohol are left behind.

M - Medium body with lots of carbonation. The carbonation is very refreshing.

O - Meh. Not exactly sure of the age of this bottle. I think it may be a little past its prime. That being said. The body, appearance and aroma are nice. Not a ton of hop bite, but I think it perhaps has just faded.

07-03-2011 00:19:40 | More by Genghis22