Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 1,644 | Reviews: 372
4.12/5  rDev -2.4%

A: . Dark orange and a bit cloudy. Small head that reduced rather quickly to a thin layer on top.

S: Smells very sweet, almost like a combo between a sweeter quad and a fruity ipa on the nose. Picking up brown sugar, light citrus smell at first. A bit of spice as well - love the nose on this.

T: Much like the nose. Starts with a nice citrus hop profile, then comes some sweetness, sugar/vanilla combo and then finishes w/ some wood.

M: Medium bodied. Decent carbonation.

D: Definitely want to drink this one again, too bad I don't have any more and would need to trade for it. Will have to get more Wooden Elephant from Odell instead.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours cloudy golden orange with a nice foamy head with excellent retention.

You can definitely smell the oak - plenty of piny hops as well as a hint of fruit, and a generous sweet honey aroma.

Taste is very good - the oak blends nicely with the hops - but somewhat overpowers them, and mellows out the IPA bitterness a bit. As with the smell - there is a hint of tropical fruitiness in the taste, and a typical bitter finish.

M - medium body, nicely carbonated

D - I wish I had more to drink

4.67/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

the biggest lie on this beer is that it is available year-round. Hard beer to find, when they do release it the couple times a year.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

White oak Aged Jai Alai pours a slightly cloudy tangerine amber with a smallish white head falling rather quickly and leaving a slippery film with light froth as lacing.

The aroma is one of the more distinctive beer scents I've run across. Strong citrus hop scents are nearly muted by a heavy woody and herbal scent from the white oak. If I hadn't read the description first I would have had a time running down the fresh herb scent and damned if it isn't fresh chopped dill along with a background of vanilla and freshly baked bread. Pretty amazing aroma actually.

Wow, this is Jai Alai Plus, fresh juicy citrussy hops as expected from Jai Alai and the Plus is the flavor added by the aging on white oak, an astringent woody flavor with the prevalent note of vanilla and a hint of tobacco. The fresh bready malts back up the hops and woody tones while the astringency lends an extra touch of dryness on the decidedly bitter finish. The white oak noted are among the strongest I've run across before and could easily be overpowering but I think a tight-rope act of balancing was achieved here by the brewers at Cigar City.

The mouthfeel is smooth and firm but manages to stay on the lighter side of medium in heaviness. Carbonation is moderate and lightly biting on the tongue.

A very pleasant and enjoyable take on Jai Alai that I enjoyed.

3.95/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to Pittsky for the opportunity to try this.

A: Dark copper. Thick white head. Very sticky lacing.

S: Lots of oak. In fact, it's hard for me to pick out any hop aroma at all. If I almost get my nose wet, I can begin to pick out some tropical, citrus notes. Nice nose...has a bite to it. Can certainly tell this has been aged on oak. Harkens back to my grandparent's wood burning stove during the wicked Florida winters...50 degrees? Better bundle up.

T: Hops make themselves known and blend in well with the oak flavors. Bitter and spicy. More tropical than citrus in the taste. I like it...different for sure.

M: Medium with good carbonation. Nothing too special.

D: Good, but I can't see myself drinking more than one in a sitting.

Nice warming beer which isn't something that I would normally say about an IPA. I like it. Thanks again goes to Jesse for including this along with some other cool and interesting extras. Koala bear..how the hell did it know that? Amazing.

4.16/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours with a peach-colored sea foam-like head that tops a very murky, cloudy, indeed almost chunky, deep orange-colored body. Head looks sturdy, and appears to lace well. It does very well actually.

Excellent oak aroma mixed at just the right amount with the hops. Resinous, piney, grapefruit like hops sit immediately underneath this woody, warm, beautiful oak aroma, lending hints of sweet honeydew melon as it mixes with the hops.

Very nice first sip, which comes off as an IPA first and foremost, with a standard bitter profile (though not too bitter), accompanied by a distinct oak exhale. This is quickly followed by a trace of sourness on the palette, close to the finish. The aftertaste is splendid, all white oak and a lingering bitterness. The following sips provide more of the same, though the sourness I perceived at first seems to dissipate. Here, the beer is an IPA given a very nice treatment in oak. I really love the combination of IPA with barrel aging. The oak helps in the way of balancing the bitterness. There isn't much sweetness here, though the aroma indicates that. The malt comes to play in the finish and at the swallow, leaving a caramel like flavor to accompany the oak.

The carbonation is good, though might be a touch more lively than I would like to see it. And the body is a hefty one, feeling quite full bodied. The finish is semi-dry, astringent from the excess of hops.

In contrast to the barrel aged 10-10-10 that I had last night, this is clearly a more refined beer. The bourbon notes overpowered the hops a bit too much. Here, without the sweet bourbon, the oak provides a flavor complexity, without "sweetening" the IPA. I'm not sure what the alcohol is here, but it was more appropriate for the 10% beer to have a bourbon treatment. This wouldn't work here. I think that White Oak Jai Alai is a phenomenal IPA and I would say this only deepens my love for Florida beers.

3.16/5  rDev -25.1%

Reviewing from memory, and thanks to the ever-generous Three Fishes for sending this along. So many winners in that box. Unfortunately, this one tended towards the back of the pack. Can't beat the Jai Alai backbone, but I picked up on a strong tropical smell evocative of Coppertone. Can't say I know what Coppertone tastes like, but i have to think the coconut oil aftertaste White Oak delivers has to be pretty close. The beer still managed to be refreshing and suitable for summer. Perhaps paired with the right food would have provided a major a-ha moment, but as it was, it was merely OK.

3.58/5  rDev -15.2%

Nice clearish amber colored pour with a beautiful layer of thick white foamy head.

Smell is a good blend of bitter hops with a hint of citrus. The flavor is DOMINATED by oak. I'm really amazed how the wood flavors come through here. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed by this brew - particularly after having the regular Jai Alai and loving it. Its not bad, just a bit underwhelming. I think that if this a bit less "woody" in flavor it would be much much better.

4.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Sweetwater pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy orange amber color but on the lighter side with a half finger head than leaves a thin lacing after only a few seconds.

S:Smells like a pina colada. tropical fruit flavors, vanilla, light off coconut, citrus..interesting

T: this blew me away....nothing like any IPA I have ever had. The oak hits you hard first then it transitions into a smooth smooth vanilla flavor and finishes with a little bitterness..bonus is the burp gives you a little pine.

M: creamy, medium bodied, just feels right

O: This is a great rendition on an IPA. The vanilla white oak really compliments the hops and bitterness well, its not something you would session all night to me only because it is slightly sweet on the tongue but damn is it good. CCB makes me happay, happay, happay.

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A dark murkey copper color with little light peaking through sits bellow the finger tall kahki colored head. As it falls into beer it leaves a coat of lacing on the impieral pint glass thick enough to measure.

S: Oak and vanilla with staying power at first impression. A raisin bread and cracker malt aroma and grapefruit, piney hops.

T: On the first sip the woody oak and vanilla flavor is upfront but not overpowering the other flavors. Firm grapefruity bitterness is the next thing grabbing the attention of the pallet and it follows through to the end. The flavors are distinct at cooler temperatures, but as it warms up the oak imparts more flavor and gives the impression of higher bitterness.

M: A moderate amount of body (i get the impression from the oak?) with lower carbonation and a tingly mouth feel from the oak barrel.

O: A very complex and balanced beer. Oak and IPAs have the potential to go really really bad, but this one hit the spot on a HOT day. Cheers to JesseLara for this beer as an extra!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Got this bottle in a trade with mondegreen. 12oz bottle poured into a C&B Bruges snifter.

A - Pours a hazy orange with a a huge foamy off white, bone color head with great retention and lacing.

S - The aroma is really unusual. The white oak is hugely dominant. There is some sweet fruitiness that i cant identify. I am not really smelling any hops or citrus as others have noted. I'm mostly smelling white oak, and in all fairness, i really enjoy the aroma.

T - The taste is just as unusual as the smell, however in this category i am tasting the great hops which make this the IPA that it is. The flavor starts of with some great pine resin and slightly grassy hop flavors. The middle is slightly malty, but the finish, is where this beer separates it from the others in the category. The oakiness is truly spectacular. Its dominant in a great way. It dominates the aftertaste profile, but it blends very well in this style.

M - The beer is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D - This is a very drinkable and enjoyable IPA, that is really different. I wish i could buy this in California. It actually really reminds me of my first home brewed beer, a RR Blind Pig clone recipe which was aged on white oak. At the time i thought the beer was off, but as it aged, it became very good and the oakiness was very similar. I think i should try that recipe again.

4.27/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 9/9/14 so I let it sit for a while. Pours a cloudy orange with a good amount of white head. Leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. In the nose you get the unmistakable characteristic of an oak aged beer. Some vanilla and earthiness with some orange. Taste is very well balanced between orange and grapefruit from the original Jai Alai and the vanilla and earthiness from the oak. The bitterness is definitely smoothed out from the oak aging. Mouthfeel is a little thick but overall smooth and easy to drink. Good amount of carbonation. Overall, a very good variation on the original Jai Alai. It's definitely a unique experience as the flavors you get from the oak are that of what you might expect in a barrel aged barleywine or scotch ale. But, if I had the choice I would stick to the original. This is definitely something worth trying though.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a light amber-orange with a good finger of white head lasting for a while.

S: Wonderful citrus hop aroma. Vanilla and just a hint of orange. Light caramel malt and Oak

T: Sweet vanilla followed by orange then some oak. Mellow hop finish. As I drink this, more flavors come out. I would like a little less oak in the finish

M: Slightly sticky. Nice carbonation

D: Wish I had a case. I was a wine guy long before a beer guy so I really enjoy the use of oak.

Big thanks to Thorpe for this treat.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured from a can, dated 09/09/14 into my tulip. Pours a clear golden copperish orange color, thick 2 fingers of tan colored head. Great lacing as the head slowly falls. Has an earthy aroma and maybe some intense tropical fruits. The taste is totally different in a good way. A little tropical fruit when I first sip, but then then white oak really shines thru! The flavor really transforms into this woodsy, vanilla toffee ale that's just fantastic. Very easy to drink, and no noticeable alcohol burn. A damn fine example of a wood aged IPA, one. Of the best I've tasted actually. Cheers!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I am very lucky to have two uncles who live about twenty minutes away from Cigar City and they happened to be coming home to Cleveland and surprised me with a growler of this beer! I told them that I love stouts and IPA's so I was very happy when they pulled this out of the cooler!

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter to find a nice golden amber body with a nice one inch white head. The aroma was prominent with the citrus and oak with hints of the hops.

The taste is excellent, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Oak Aged IPA that I have ever had and I was very surprised. The citrus notes hit you first with some malts in the middle and hints of the oak at the end. This is another example of several different flavor profiles blended together so well. There is also some nice hints of sweetness in there that leave you wanting to drink more. This medium body beer was easy to drink and I easily put down the mini 32oz growler with ease.

Overall a great IPA and I really enjoyed sitting on the deck tonight enjoying this beer and I hope with my uncle living in the area that I get more great beers from Cigar City every time he comes home!

3.8/5  rDev -10%

A slightly hazy ruby red amber with a finger of fluffy foam poured into my tulip. Nose reveals a touch of sweet strawberry, blood orange, creamy vanilla and custard filled pastry. Tasty is creamy and refreshing with a light hop bite as well as a touch of tannins from the oak the the finish. The taste is nearly as complex as the nose but does have some red fruit along with bitter citrus peel and a nice dry malt taste. Very nice ipa and easily drinkable as well.

4.87/5  rDev +15.4%

Many thanks to BPreston for the chance to try this one. CCB doesn't dissapoint here- another solid gold beer.

Poured into my Dfh snifter- nearly opaque dark orange color with crazy head that fills to the top of the glass, and stays around forever. Crazy great retention. 2 feet away I can smell the coconut grapefruit scent coming off this bottle- major tropic fruit scents. Taste- blood orange fruit, coconut, lemon citrus, breads malt flavor. Wow! The tropical sour flavors hit the back of the palate last, minutes after the taste. I can still smell the coconut scent.

Mouthfeel- creamy smooth mouthfeel, this gets better and better.

Drinkability- only issue here is to keep myself from drinking this all day every day.

I'll say it....this is the best IPA I have ever had.

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this bottle in yet another incredible box from Palmej1. Thanks Jacob! 12oz bottle into my Brugges Zot chalice.

The beer pours an appealing copper color with a finger of white foam. The head recedes leaving a thin white coaster and some very nice lacing. I can smell the wood in this beer immediately, sweet biscuity malt and citrus hops round out the nose. The taste is an initial blast of bitter citrus. Orange, pineapple and mango dominate. The malt profile provides a nice sugar cookie backbone, but the hops are showcased here. The oak persists throughout, however, and while it is initially interesting, I think that after awhile it takes away from the experience. Feel is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. As the beer warms it becomes creamier. Overall this was pretty good. I think I prefer my IPA without the wood though, as I like the regular version of Jai Alai better than this iteration. If you like your IPA with oak seek this out.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

Finishing up my last one. poured into a Duvel Tulip.

a:decent off-white head with pretty good retention. reddish amber body. some lacing

s: this is why i put it in the tulip. when i was at the brewery, they opened up and threw down 4 of these bottles on the crate. little did i know of the surprise that was in store: i took a sniff and i was blown away! it was only then did i notice that it was the white oak aged jai alai. so glad that i was exposed to it cause i didn't even notice it was on sale either and probably would've bypassed it completely. i really could smell this all day. if it was a shampoo, i would make sure my gf used this constantly. the white oak completely takes the nose to the next level, it starts with the hop cirtus sweetness and notches it all the way up to pineapple as well as giving it a bit of a coconut-y and vanilla vibe. as SpeedwayJim mentioned, it's like a pina coloda... with a few trees around. not the most complex but just very pleasant.

t:sugary sweet with sweet fruits and citrus. a bit of piney hop bitterness lingering on the back. doesn't quite live up to the nose but still very nice. The White Oak certainly kicks the hops down a notch, which could be bad as it is an IPA and that's what most are looking for.

m: moderate carbonation, medium body. as expected for an ipa aged on oak.

d: very tasty but u cant really drink too many of these i think. not really a session as much as a special treat.

the fact that i first had this while in the cigar city brewery and that it was so unexpected may have bumped this a bit higher, but i really enjoyed the few, really fresh bottles i had of this.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a pint glass pours a simply impressive two finger fluffy head that leaves some serious lace on the glass, pale yellow in color with heavy little carbonation bubbles, you can't make a beer look any better. Smell is pretty funky nothing like I have smelled before, possibly oak wood fragrance with a sweet undertones of perfume. Taste is just like smell, this has a bready funky earth taste to it, hops up front with a tangy earth wood taste towards the finish with a hop bitterness towards the end. Overall a simply different and strange tasting brew and I simply enjoyed it outstanding.

3.32/5  rDev -21.3%

Received as an extra in a trade with brewpaab. Thank you! I have had regular Jai Alai which I think is amazing and the Humidor series which I also really enjoy. Poured into my Fantome Tulip.

50th Review for me!

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange color with a light tan uncontrollable tow and a half finger head. Extremely active carbonation and the head keeps building, over three fingers now. This is one of the most active beers I have ever poured, and definitely the most active in this style. Starting to get a little bit annoying, maybe I should have used a more open glass.

Smell: The smell of cut oak hits me immediately. I love that smell. Some nice citrusy fruity notes follow.

Taste: Going to be a while before I get the chance to taste this beer. Everything is blended very well in the taste, most things are not too distinguishable from one another. The bitterness shows up a little bit on the back end. I feel the oaking of this beer has made it too smooth, no bite that I like in my IPAs and the fruity bouquet of flavors present in the original is almost lost to the oak in this version.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy for an IPA, carbonation has calmed down after the head dissipated, I wouldnt call it flat but would appreciate more carbonation.

Overall: Not a huge fan of this one. I feel that oak is a very hard flavor to successfully incorporate into an IPA, I do not Jai Alai is very well suited for the overbearing flavor of oak. I love the original, just not the oakiness.

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

A= Light amber color nice foamy head, with lots of lacing.

S= I had the regular Jai Alai right before this one and that one didn't have much of a nose. This one however has a real powerful nose smells like tropical fruit and vanilla really stand out you also smell the oak in this one.

T= The taste is very nice really like this one the oak blends well with the hops and the vanilla really good.

M= Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

D= Really nicely done haven't had a IPA like this one really like the oak tasted nice. Went down smooth would love to get more of this one.

T=

4.39/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had the fortune of grabbing a four pack while in Ellenton, FL for a very quick trip there. Thanks to fellow BA members for recommending this brewery to me.

The look is a cloudy pale amber with short white head. It doesn't look like most of the IPAs I've had, and that is a good thing. Overall it has an attractive appearance.

Smell is excellent right off the bat. It is sweet, woody, and layered with a nice floral hop quality.

Taste follows the aroma nicely. Malt and hops are well balanced, with perhaps just a hint of grapefruit in the mix, leaving a touch of nectar in the finish without being overly sweet.

The tongue draws in a medium amount of sparkle, followed by a smooth swallow. Only a touch a dryness resides in the finish.

Although I enjoy good IPAs, they aren't typically my favorite style. That said, this is perhaps the best IPA I have ever had, and I'm glad I have three more to get me through until xmas (assuming they last that long).

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle Date: 15 Aug 2012. Review Date: 21 Aug 2012.

A: Fluffy white head on a copper body

S: Sweet bitter citrus hops, oak, smoke.

T: really sweet and smooth, the hoppy taste is well-tempered by the oak treatment. smokey on the back end.

M: Medium with low carbonation. At first, i thought more carb would help the beer, but as i drink it i feel like the low carb and decent weight help the taste come through.

O: Fantastic. I will be having this plenty as long as they can keep it in stock! I would recommend seeking this out or trading for it. Definitely on par with the best of them. Much better than the untreated jai alai, not that the untreated version was bad at all.

Appearance:

Upon pulling off the cap, I only noticed a slight amount of hissing coming from the tiny 12oz bottle neck. I poured this into my English Imperial pint glass and was left with a surprising three finger thick tan head that slowly diminished to just a trace after a few moments. As I hold my glass up to the light there is a deep amber appearance almost a toast color with some haziness. On the swirl there is a decent amount of lacing that is slowly creeping down the walls of my glass.

Smell:

Right off the start something reminds me of a Orange Julius. Very bright citrus with some creamy undertones and a huge nose of wood pencils. I am guessing the creamy smells come from the wood which can impart vanilla.

Taste:

Oranges are front and center here with lots of woody earthy notes that blend together very well. Very clean and fresh tasting with tropical fruits, vanilla, and Chinese food duck sauce. A delicious long finish that is semi-sweet and makes me keep coming back for more. This is a nice spin on a old beer good job CCB.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing