Join our email list →

American IPA | 7.50% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 384 | Hads: 1,774
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a burnt orange color with two finger head and lots of lacing. Aroma is tangerine and tropical fruit. Taste brings oaky dryness in addition to the strong fruit presence and finishes with a bite from dill, hops, and oak. Mouth feel is outstanding for an IPA. I'd say medium body with perfect carbonation.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Heatwave33 for the bottle.

Poured into a highball glass.

Has a slightly off-white head, about a finger thick, that leaves some nice lace on the glass. The color reminds me of bright apple cider that's opaque enough to hide the bubbles.

The smell is full of sweet oak with a little bit of hops hiding behind. It makes my mouth water, so I dove right in.

The taste matches the smell at the start: oaky sweetness. The oak subsides a bit and allows some hoppy bitterness. The bitter steps aside and all that's left is a creamy oak flavor.

For an oak aged beer, I'm surprised with the carbonated feel, especially considering other wood barreled beers that I've had. This is a nice surprise.

Overall I really enjoyed this brew. I've had a few other oaked IPA's in the past and was disappointed. I never detected any of the alcohol, which for me is always impressive.

Recommended

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

Enjoy the regular Jai Alai a tad bit better, but the white oak does seem to mellow out the bitterness a tad, which allows for a smoother finish and a (very) slight oak/vanilla taste on the back end. Wasn't picking up much from the smell (maybe a slight hint of the white oak/vanilla), color is a tad bit lighter than the regular.

Overall a great beer, but like I said I prefer the regular, just for the extra citrus/pine you get from the full hit of hops.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Just had a bottle of the regular Jai Alai, now on to the White Oak version. Once again thanks to GallowsThief for the brew.

A - Pours a hazy copper color, not to much different the regular version. A good amount of foamy white head caps off the brew. Good lacing the along the class as well

S - The difference between the base brew and this one is definitely noticeable in the nose. Oak aroma is there for sure with a bit of pepper in there. Hop notes are in there for sure, just not as dominate.

T - Hop bitterness is noticeable with the first taste but a smooth wood character presents itself which mellows everything out very nicely. The oak combined with the malt bill balances this out almost perfectly.

M - Medium body with a creamy finish. Carbonation is also right on.

D - I was thoroughly impressed with the regular Jai Alai, this one was a step above due to the oak character. Great brew, one that if I can get my hands on again I would for sure.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A 12 fl oz can with a canned on date of 17th November 2015 and poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Appearance: It poured a clear golden orange colour with a two finger white head with lots of stringy lacing.

Aroma: Tropical mango, pineapple and peach with some citrus grapefruit followed by hints of vanilla and dill.

Taste: Strong vanilla and oak upfront with mango and peach supporting and hints of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Dry, medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall: I have not tried the original base IPA yet as I haven’t been able to get my hands on any. However, although this is not the first barrel aged IPA that I’ve tried, I haven’t tasted any beer like this one before. The tropical fruit taste mixed with vanilla was interesting and a refreshing change.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Copper mixed with a yellow orange colored bodied. The head was substantial and white and it faded quickly but left a good lace.

S - Great balance of piney and citrus hops. The Smeel lends itself to vanilla and oak on the back end as well.

T & M & D - A huge cirtus and piney hop bomb in the front that opens to great malt sweetness. The sweetness in the middle opens itself to vanilla. Then a great oak profile comes in and brings together the complexity of the taste. Great smooth medium bodied mouthfeel that coats the palate. Very drinkable.

O - An awesome oak aged IPA that has complex flavors and is incredibly drinkable. Love it

- Cheers

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a damn good beer from Cigar City. I've had Jai Alai before but this one is raised to the next level. Super delicious nose, and the taste follows the nose perfectly. This one is about 2 months old, and it is still amazing.

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Nice light golden color. The smell is great with strong oak; rich bourbon scents. The citrus scent I was expecting is fairly well muted by the oak. I usually like the hops scent, but I don't miss it too much here becuase it comes through strong in the taste. Tastes like an orange given a couple pin pricks, soaked in whiskey and then squeezed into a pale ale. It's definitely good. The tastes lingers with a bit of the hops and still some oak notes. It is fairly drinkable, but a bit strong to drink too many of these in a sitting.

4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Little foam, hazy orange color and strong smell of sweet tropical fruit, pineapple some kiwi. Excellent taste of tropical fruit, pineapple, kiwi. A Fairly hoppy and extremely tasty beer. Very enjoyable. A slight bit of a pleasant oak taste is also evident. This beer more than lived up to the hype.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, canned sometime in Jan. '14. My first Cigar City brew, thrown in as an extra in my first IP trade...thanks Jeff!

Pours a hazy honey-colored orange. Smell is kind of offputting: funky and oaky citrus and pine; maybe some cedar; pink grapefruit; sweet and malty. I like all those aromas, but together, in this beer, they aren't working for me. Tastes great, however: very oaky, nice hints of vanilla, slightly sweet, crispy bitter pine. Medium-carbed, which plays well with the oak and mild fruitiness. Aftertaste is phemomenal: really dry, lots of oak and vanilla. I really enjoyed this one: flavor, mouthfeel, and aftertaste were all standouts. Looking forward to trying the regular

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Had it previously on tap, and most recently in a can, which is what I use for this review.

Pours a nice foamy yellow beer. Heads is tall and stays for a while. Smell is a bit subdued. Not very hoppy, not very oaky. Taste is bitter, not extremely bitter. Hard to separate the oak from the hops. Mouthfeel was a bit thick. This beer was creamy, or thick.

The type of bitterness used was strange. I felt the bitterness rising to my nose, instead of going down my throat. Maybe too much oak? idk.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Pours a dirty light copper with two finger head.

S - Citrus, pine, orange, tropical notes. Slight oak.

T - Mango, orange marmalade, citrus, pine. Bitterness is apparent yet not overwhelming. Slight oak taste from the barrel. Malt backbone is minimal. Slight sweetness. Nice dry finish.

M - Medium with average carbonation.

O - I enjoyed this oak aged version more than the standard Jai Alai. One of my favorites from this style. CCB hit the nail on the head with this one, well done!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Gusher! Exploded out of the bottle and pours a deep hazy amber color. Huge foamy slightly off white head. Lots of lacing.

S - Earthy hops with oak and alcohol. Faint hints of citrus. Bready, biscuity malt.

T - Big sweet biscuity maltiness. Lemongrass hops and wood. Bitterness sets in as the tongue dries out. Oak and alcohol are left behind.

M - Medium body with lots of carbonation. The carbonation is very refreshing.

O - Meh. Not exactly sure of the age of this bottle. I think it may be a little past its prime. That being said. The body, appearance and aroma are nice. Not a ton of hop bite, but I think it perhaps has just faded.

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip

A - Strange looking sediment in the bottle - way more than expected or than I've ever seen. Was a really distracting image in the back of my mind while I watched a small amount of sediment settle in my glass even though I poured carefully. The beer is a burning orange color with white head. Quite a bit of lacing, some patches of head retention.

S - Sharp oaky vanilla dominates classic citrusy American hop aromas. Behind that, earthy aroma.

T - Some pale malt mixed with a smoother version of the aroma. The woody oak really dominates, and the IPA allows for this nicely.

M - Crisp and dry. Not harsh, but not a thirst quencher. Puckering.

O - I rinsed out the bottle right after pouring the beer and was really disturbed by the sediment that came out of it. I know that this is not always a sign of deathbeer. I like pouring all the yeast into my weissbiers and witbiers. But. Still, I approached the beer with some trepidation. It was interesting and not bad at all. Not sure it is one that I would go out of my way to have again, but i wouldn't turn it down. It was nice to drink a lighter beer with the oak flavors present. Most of the oak aged beers I've had are DARK. If you have a chance, give it a shot. I'm grateful I was able to try it.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

a: amber/red with a cream head which foams up to a half inch in the glass. slowly retreats and leaves nice sticky lacing as it goes. a touch darker and cloudier than I expected.

s: malt forward. has a a sweet aroma, and a touch of sourness like grape skin. wish I was getting a bit more hop here.

t: some bitterness from the hops, but this is all malt. Nice and sweet. I am getting a toasty caramel/toffee with wooden aspects here. i wouldn't know it as oak, but this certainly tastes like beer was mellowing in a wooden humidor. Quite nice taste, though I was I was getting some fruit flavors in here as well as some nice hop taste considering it is an IPA...I'm getting none of that here.

m: nice, creamy and with good fizz. It is a touch thin given the flavor profile and wish it covered the palette a bit better as the malt sweetness would be nice to savor.

o: a solid brew. doesn't taste a ton like an IPA as it is missing that leading hop character, though it is certainly a nice use of wood aging. The white oak must be what adds the caramel/toffee flavor and i'm enjoying it.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Def better imo than the original. the smoothness of this beer makes its dangerously drinkable in mass quantity. Glad I got to try and will hopefully ba able to come across again.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

poured from bottle into a pub glass. The color is incredible, vibrant golden orange. Very little head with slight lacing present.
The first smell is of sticky sweet fruit, want to say papaya or mango, though not tasted. Dug my nose into the glass the whole drink, kept picking up different smells. Very enjoyable. Taste is different, not a bad different, just different. There is a taste that I cant describe well, I am assming its the white oak. Very well done specialty IPA, the mouthfeel is easy to drink, making it easy to drink again while trying to figure out the different nuances in the taste.
Overall, interesting beer. Will want to try again fo sho.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Nice looking beer. A nice gradient from blonde to almost an amber when put to light. 1/2 finger head, dissipates into a layer.

S- Smells like an aged IPA...yeah the malt overtaking the hops and I am not one to say that aged IPAs are barleywines, but it smells kinda like a barleywine.

T- Oh wow, the oak. I mean I gotta give credit on the purity of that oak flavor, oaked wines don't hold the flavor this well and it really blends well with the IPA base here. Really pleasant, warm. This is coming from a hop head who wants IPAs fresh off the bottling line. Has like a medicinal finish, not unpleasant tho. I am very impressed. Glad I opened this on Christmas eve.

M- Smooth with a nice crisp finishing note.

O- Really impressed, especially considering I wasn't impressed by Jai Alai itself.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours orange. Citrus and sweet. Smells lots like the regular Jai Lai. Taste is more fruity though. Still delicious. Backed up with the oak flavor. Takes out some of the bitterness. It still gets you at the very end though. Great take on a great beer. Keeps the original character and adds just enough to make it unique.

Wife's Review: "Starts off good, doesn't end well. Not a taste I want hanging out in my mouth all day."

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Served to me in a standard Pint Glass from my local gastropub of choice, Kickbacks.

Lighting is poor. But to say that this one is on the amber side would imply that in better lighting it would better to be called a few shades lighter. Found a better light source. A deep yellow, near red. Nice clarity. A solid finger of head on the pour. Lacing is rather nice, with distinguishable lines from sip to sip.

This is not my first attempt at this beer, so each time I am greeted by the same aroma. Apricots. There is a dominant sweetness off played by the hopped up oak body that creates a pleasant and quite fruity IPA. Very nicely done. Perhaps a bit on the sweet side.

Clean and crisp is how I would describe the regular Jai Alai. This one has a bit more sticky sweetness, followed by a residual lingering after-bite that distracts from the hoppy base of the beer. The foreflavor is rather weak, though the finish is pure white oak apricot essence. Very fruity, light and semi refreshing. Suprising, yet defined. Quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky from the oak resins, though it has a clean "presence" to it. I find the mouthfeel to be remiscent of a sipping belgian triple. A bit on the sweet side, but a solid hop base that provides a nice balance. This one comes off a bit on the sweet side though.

Overall, I find it to be an excellent example of taking a rather straightforward style (American IPA) and having a bit of fun. Well executed.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Big thanks to ShrLSU for running the two drink minimum Fantasy football league. Thanks to a nice CCB package sent from tpd975, I get to review this gem!

Normal pour yields a hazy orangy brown base with a bright white thick creamy head. This head lasts for a bit and produces a fair amount of lacing. Pour = Quality appearance. The aroma is of strong citrusy hops balanced by Oak and butter cookies. The first sip is smooth with the mildly sweet oak reminiscent of toffee, hitting the front of the tongue. At first taste the style of the beer is indistinguishable as the oak does its thing but it is soon overtaken by a strong bitter hop blast. The carbonation is perfect and leads to a dry brisk peppery finish, with noticeable alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium thick and velvety.

The only beer I have to compare to this is Oak Aged Unearthly by Southern Tier. I find this vastly superior with the oak not as overwhelming, the ipa base zestier, and none of the sticky sweetness.

This is an A class brew for sure!

ISO More Cigar City (Effective immediately)

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Consumed 11/15/10

Poured into a Bruery tulip

A: Pours a huge, creamy white head with a murky orange body. Quite intimidating!

S: Whoo, the oak is in full force it seems. There's a slight malt present, and what seems to be a liiitle pine and bitterness from the hops, but big oaky notes are present.

T: My nose was correct. It's clean, fresh, bitter and drying on the finish, but with a huge oak profile. It's actually great for showing off what oak does to a beer, because this very flavor I have tasted before in many of the sours aged in oak barrels.

F: Oak lends itself to a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Pretty good carbonation too!

D: If you're looking for a citrus-pine punch in the face, look elsewhere. If you want a well done interpretation on the style with a very interesting flavor profile, this one is for you. I think the oak makes it a little less drinkable, but only because it's such a bold flavor.

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I am a huge fan of regular Jai Alai. It is one of my two favorites IPAs.

White Oak Jai Alai tastes no where near its original or an IPA. I may have had a shipment of bad bottles from Letspour (not likely, they have good quality control) but all the bottles tasted like cinder butter. They smelled of mild oak aged diacetyl (white oak may have caused this confusion). It had a warm and creamy mouth feel. I wanted to like this beer so much. I will try again in the future to see if my bottles were bad. Stick with normal Jai Alai.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ahhhh, another wonderful offering from Cigar City. I was quite fortunate to be one of my lbs when this was delivered. The beer guru never heard of it and was intrigued by its existence. I took the 4 pack home along with the Hopped on the High Seas Citra and new I was in for a treat! My first impression was coconut. The oak barrel contributed such a wonderful coconut flavor to this already stellar brew. I felt like I was on a tropical beach in the dead of winter. We actually had about a foot of snow on the ground when I popped the tab. Try this beer if you like Jai Alai. I love coconut and that's all I could think of with this brew. Awesome job!!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Had this on-tap at CCB. Served on a pint glass.

A: dark amber/brownish color, more on the opaque side. Small fizzy head but good retention. Very good lacing decorating the glass with foamy strands.

S: strong coconut smell, oak, pineapple, also some floral hints and hops. More on the 'sweet' side.

T: herbal, hoppy, wood. The taste of the hops is disguised a bit as the beer goes down and ends with some sweet notes.

M: light to medium body, carbonation was a bit on the high side.

O: overall it was a pretty good beer and a very peculiar IPA. I wish carbonation was on the lower side. Regardless, I recommend this beer.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing