Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 377 | Hads: 1,731
4.82/5  rDev +16.1%

Little foam, hazy orange color and strong smell of sweet tropical fruit, pineapple some kiwi. Excellent taste of tropical fruit, pineapple, kiwi. A Fairly hoppy and extremely tasty beer. Very enjoyable. A slight bit of a pleasant oak taste is also evident. This beer more than lived up to the hype.

3.76/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, canned sometime in Jan. '14. My first Cigar City brew, thrown in as an extra in my first IP trade...thanks Jeff!

Pours a hazy honey-colored orange. Smell is kind of offputting: funky and oaky citrus and pine; maybe some cedar; pink grapefruit; sweet and malty. I like all those aromas, but together, in this beer, they aren't working for me. Tastes great, however: very oaky, nice hints of vanilla, slightly sweet, crispy bitter pine. Medium-carbed, which plays well with the oak and mild fruitiness. Aftertaste is phemomenal: really dry, lots of oak and vanilla. I really enjoyed this one: flavor, mouthfeel, and aftertaste were all standouts. Looking forward to trying the regular

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

Had it previously on tap, and most recently in a can, which is what I use for this review.

Pours a nice foamy yellow beer. Heads is tall and stays for a while. Smell is a bit subdued. Not very hoppy, not very oaky. Taste is bitter, not extremely bitter. Hard to separate the oak from the hops. Mouthfeel was a bit thick. This beer was creamy, or thick.

The type of bitterness used was strange. I felt the bitterness rising to my nose, instead of going down my throat. Maybe too much oak? idk.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

A - Pours a dirty light copper with two finger head.

S - Citrus, pine, orange, tropical notes. Slight oak.

T - Mango, orange marmalade, citrus, pine. Bitterness is apparent yet not overwhelming. Slight oak taste from the barrel. Malt backbone is minimal. Slight sweetness. Nice dry finish.

M - Medium with average carbonation.

O - I enjoyed this oak aged version more than the standard Jai Alai. One of my favorites from this style. CCB hit the nail on the head with this one, well done!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

A - Gusher! Exploded out of the bottle and pours a deep hazy amber color. Huge foamy slightly off white head. Lots of lacing.

S - Earthy hops with oak and alcohol. Faint hints of citrus. Bready, biscuity malt.

T - Big sweet biscuity maltiness. Lemongrass hops and wood. Bitterness sets in as the tongue dries out. Oak and alcohol are left behind.

M - Medium body with lots of carbonation. The carbonation is very refreshing.

O - Meh. Not exactly sure of the age of this bottle. I think it may be a little past its prime. That being said. The body, appearance and aroma are nice. Not a ton of hop bite, but I think it perhaps has just faded.

3.47/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip

A - Strange looking sediment in the bottle - way more than expected or than I've ever seen. Was a really distracting image in the back of my mind while I watched a small amount of sediment settle in my glass even though I poured carefully. The beer is a burning orange color with white head. Quite a bit of lacing, some patches of head retention.

S - Sharp oaky vanilla dominates classic citrusy American hop aromas. Behind that, earthy aroma.

T - Some pale malt mixed with a smoother version of the aroma. The woody oak really dominates, and the IPA allows for this nicely.

M - Crisp and dry. Not harsh, but not a thirst quencher. Puckering.

O - I rinsed out the bottle right after pouring the beer and was really disturbed by the sediment that came out of it. I know that this is not always a sign of deathbeer. I like pouring all the yeast into my weissbiers and witbiers. But. Still, I approached the beer with some trepidation. It was interesting and not bad at all. Not sure it is one that I would go out of my way to have again, but i wouldn't turn it down. It was nice to drink a lighter beer with the oak flavors present. Most of the oak aged beers I've had are DARK. If you have a chance, give it a shot. I'm grateful I was able to try it.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

a: amber/red with a cream head which foams up to a half inch in the glass. slowly retreats and leaves nice sticky lacing as it goes. a touch darker and cloudier than I expected.

s: malt forward. has a a sweet aroma, and a touch of sourness like grape skin. wish I was getting a bit more hop here.

t: some bitterness from the hops, but this is all malt. Nice and sweet. I am getting a toasty caramel/toffee with wooden aspects here. i wouldn't know it as oak, but this certainly tastes like beer was mellowing in a wooden humidor. Quite nice taste, though I was I was getting some fruit flavors in here as well as some nice hop taste considering it is an IPA...I'm getting none of that here.

m: nice, creamy and with good fizz. It is a touch thin given the flavor profile and wish it covered the palette a bit better as the malt sweetness would be nice to savor.

o: a solid brew. doesn't taste a ton like an IPA as it is missing that leading hop character, though it is certainly a nice use of wood aging. The white oak must be what adds the caramel/toffee flavor and i'm enjoying it.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a damn good beer from Cigar City. I've had Jai Alai before but this one is raised to the next level. Super delicious nose, and the taste follows the nose perfectly. This one is about 2 months old, and it is still amazing.

3.92/5  rDev -5.5%

poured from bottle into a pub glass. The color is incredible, vibrant golden orange. Very little head with slight lacing present.
The first smell is of sticky sweet fruit, want to say papaya or mango, though not tasted. Dug my nose into the glass the whole drink, kept picking up different smells. Very enjoyable. Taste is different, not a bad different, just different. There is a taste that I cant describe well, I am assming its the white oak. Very well done specialty IPA, the mouthfeel is easy to drink, making it easy to drink again while trying to figure out the different nuances in the taste.
Overall, interesting beer. Will want to try again fo sho.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours orange. Citrus and sweet. Smells lots like the regular Jai Lai. Taste is more fruity though. Still delicious. Backed up with the oak flavor. Takes out some of the bitterness. It still gets you at the very end though. Great take on a great beer. Keeps the original character and adds just enough to make it unique.

Wife's Review: "Starts off good, doesn't end well. Not a taste I want hanging out in my mouth all day."

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Served to me in a standard Pint Glass from my local gastropub of choice, Kickbacks.

Lighting is poor. But to say that this one is on the amber side would imply that in better lighting it would better to be called a few shades lighter. Found a better light source. A deep yellow, near red. Nice clarity. A solid finger of head on the pour. Lacing is rather nice, with distinguishable lines from sip to sip.

This is not my first attempt at this beer, so each time I am greeted by the same aroma. Apricots. There is a dominant sweetness off played by the hopped up oak body that creates a pleasant and quite fruity IPA. Very nicely done. Perhaps a bit on the sweet side.

Clean and crisp is how I would describe the regular Jai Alai. This one has a bit more sticky sweetness, followed by a residual lingering after-bite that distracts from the hoppy base of the beer. The foreflavor is rather weak, though the finish is pure white oak apricot essence. Very fruity, light and semi refreshing. Suprising, yet defined. Quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky from the oak resins, though it has a clean "presence" to it. I find the mouthfeel to be remiscent of a sipping belgian triple. A bit on the sweet side, but a solid hop base that provides a nice balance. This one comes off a bit on the sweet side though.

Overall, I find it to be an excellent example of taking a rather straightforward style (American IPA) and having a bit of fun. Well executed.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a burnt orange color with two finger head and lots of lacing. Aroma is tangerine and tropical fruit. Taste brings oaky dryness in addition to the strong fruit presence and finishes with a bite from dill, hops, and oak. Mouth feel is outstanding for an IPA. I'd say medium body with perfect carbonation.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Def better imo than the original. the smoothness of this beer makes its dangerously drinkable in mass quantity. Glad I got to try and will hopefully ba able to come across again.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Big thanks to ShrLSU for running the two drink minimum Fantasy football league. Thanks to a nice CCB package sent from tpd975, I get to review this gem!

Normal pour yields a hazy orangy brown base with a bright white thick creamy head. This head lasts for a bit and produces a fair amount of lacing. Pour = Quality appearance. The aroma is of strong citrusy hops balanced by Oak and butter cookies. The first sip is smooth with the mildly sweet oak reminiscent of toffee, hitting the front of the tongue. At first taste the style of the beer is indistinguishable as the oak does its thing but it is soon overtaken by a strong bitter hop blast. The carbonation is perfect and leads to a dry brisk peppery finish, with noticeable alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium thick and velvety.

The only beer I have to compare to this is Oak Aged Unearthly by Southern Tier. I find this vastly superior with the oak not as overwhelming, the ipa base zestier, and none of the sticky sweetness.

This is an A class brew for sure!

ISO More Cigar City (Effective immediately)

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Consumed 11/15/10

Poured into a Bruery tulip

A: Pours a huge, creamy white head with a murky orange body. Quite intimidating!

S: Whoo, the oak is in full force it seems. There's a slight malt present, and what seems to be a liiitle pine and bitterness from the hops, but big oaky notes are present.

T: My nose was correct. It's clean, fresh, bitter and drying on the finish, but with a huge oak profile. It's actually great for showing off what oak does to a beer, because this very flavor I have tasted before in many of the sours aged in oak barrels.

F: Oak lends itself to a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Pretty good carbonation too!

D: If you're looking for a citrus-pine punch in the face, look elsewhere. If you want a well done interpretation on the style with a very interesting flavor profile, this one is for you. I think the oak makes it a little less drinkable, but only because it's such a bold flavor.

2.67/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I am a huge fan of regular Jai Alai. It is one of my two favorites IPAs.

White Oak Jai Alai tastes no where near its original or an IPA. I may have had a shipment of bad bottles from Letspour (not likely, they have good quality control) but all the bottles tasted like cinder butter. They smelled of mild oak aged diacetyl (white oak may have caused this confusion). It had a warm and creamy mouth feel. I wanted to like this beer so much. I will try again in the future to see if my bottles were bad. Stick with normal Jai Alai.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ahhhh, another wonderful offering from Cigar City. I was quite fortunate to be one of my lbs when this was delivered. The beer guru never heard of it and was intrigued by its existence. I took the 4 pack home along with the Hopped on the High Seas Citra and new I was in for a treat! My first impression was coconut. The oak barrel contributed such a wonderful coconut flavor to this already stellar brew. I felt like I was on a tropical beach in the dead of winter. We actually had about a foot of snow on the ground when I popped the tab. Try this beer if you like Jai Alai. I love coconut and that's all I could think of with this brew. Awesome job!!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Had this on-tap at CCB. Served on a pint glass.

A: dark amber/brownish color, more on the opaque side. Small fizzy head but good retention. Very good lacing decorating the glass with foamy strands.

S: strong coconut smell, oak, pineapple, also some floral hints and hops. More on the 'sweet' side.

T: herbal, hoppy, wood. The taste of the hops is disguised a bit as the beer goes down and ends with some sweet notes.

M: light to medium body, carbonation was a bit on the high side.

O: overall it was a pretty good beer and a very peculiar IPA. I wish carbonation was on the lower side. Regardless, I recommend this beer.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Nice looking beer. A nice gradient from blonde to almost an amber when put to light. 1/2 finger head, dissipates into a layer.

S- Smells like an aged IPA...yeah the malt overtaking the hops and I am not one to say that aged IPAs are barleywines, but it smells kinda like a barleywine.

T- Oh wow, the oak. I mean I gotta give credit on the purity of that oak flavor, oaked wines don't hold the flavor this well and it really blends well with the IPA base here. Really pleasant, warm. This is coming from a hop head who wants IPAs fresh off the bottling line. Has like a medicinal finish, not unpleasant tho. I am very impressed. Glad I opened this on Christmas eve.

M- Smooth with a nice crisp finishing note.

O- Really impressed, especially considering I wasn't impressed by Jai Alai itself.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite beers. Competes with many of the "harder-to-get" IPAs or even DIPAs. Some find the taste too strong, it really is almost more DIPA.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Received in a trade with richalexander78 - lots of great CCB beers!!

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Clear, copper hue with a nice, thick foamy 2 finger head that definitely lingers and left a nice cap all the way down. Very sticky with excellent lacing that stuck all the way down as well.

S - I can definitely smell the oak, along with some citrus (pineapple / mango?), and some toasted malts. Hop character not as pronounced as your typical IPA.

T & M - Nicely balanced with good carbonation, some sweetness up front with the toasted malt, and the hop / oak flavor finished it off.

Overall - A great beer. Nice, refreshing and great balance.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into my trusty tulip.

A: Pours a hazy copper color with one finger head. Solid retention and above average lacing.

S: Oak is the first to hit the nose. Followed by caramel, citrus, vanilla, and hops. The oak is pretty much over powering this one.

T: The first drink has almost a whiskey-esque flavor due to the oak. Underneath, there's a nice citrus, piney, hoppy flavor.

M: Medium body with medium/high carbonation. Leaves a light oak/piney resin that clings to the mouth.

O: Good but not how I prefer my Jai Alai! I thought the oak overpowered everything and could have been more balanced.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours hazy amber with a two finger head of sticky foam that leaves some excellent lacing once it starts to drop. faint smell of coconut and vanilla comes through with the oak-like woody aroma - not a whole lot of kick from the hops but the hops that are present are tangy pineapple and citrusy. The flavor is not nearly as hoppy as I expected it's all just balanced with each characteristic just connecting one to the other - nice sweet caramel malts reach out to the subtle oily tropical hoppiness and a sawdust woody flavor to round this beer out as a more balanced less "in your face" hoppy beers. The mouthfeel was pretty full almost syrupy but somehow not too sticky - there was a whole lot of carbonation. Overall this beer is a nice sipper and enjoyable for a new beer that isn't readily available to me. I can appreciate the craft but I was a bit underwhelmed when comparing to my expectations of the incredible beer I was anticipating. Perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up as much as I did - oh well - it was still a good brew!

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

12 oz. bottle, brought back from visit to Tampa and Cigar City Brewery in September. This is clearly past its optimal state. No freshness information. Poured into Duvel tulip glass.

A: Cloudy amber with no effervescence; 1-1/2" off-white, fluffy head that drops slowly and leaves gobs of lacing.

S: Oak, period.

T: Oak again, with increasing bitterness.

M: Creamy and smooth, with medium carbonation and medium body; dry finish & alcohol warming.

O: I've tasted this before and though the oak was always a prominent feature it not totally dominating -- I recall experiencing more complexity.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a dark slightly cloudy amber with a barley off white 2 finger head.

the smell is unique right off the bat i pick up some roasted caramel sweetness, followed by hops and a little bit of funkiness maybe that is the white oak pulling through

the taste wow this beer is great i don't find myself saying ipa and aged together as a good thing very often, but they did well with this. they gave it enough malt backbone that as it aged on the oak and the hops fell off that it picked up a sweet characteristic. this after you swallow you pick up grapefruit and floral hop flavors and it finishes with the oak

the mouthfeel is incredibly velvety for an ipa, it drinks like a milk stout. very thick and luscious.

overall this beer is on par with its BA score. very good will def hunt some down in the future.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing