Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 1,635 | Reviews: 368
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

12oz. pour at the brewery:

One of the more unique flavors I've gotten from a beer, and it was really delicious. I loved the standard Jai Alai, and this one was almost as good, with a slightly different flavor. Less juicy, with much more pine and resin, and the oak flavor was so distinctive. Very surprising flavor, and an incredible beer. All oak and lessened citrus, with all the excellent color, head, aroma, and crispness of standard Jai Alai.

3.92/5  rDev -7.1%

poured from bottle into a pub glass. The color is incredible, vibrant golden orange. Very little head with slight lacing present.
The first smell is of sticky sweet fruit, want to say papaya or mango, though not tasted. Dug my nose into the glass the whole drink, kept picking up different smells. Very enjoyable. Taste is different, not a bad different, just different. There is a taste that I cant describe well, I am assming its the white oak. Very well done specialty IPA, the mouthfeel is easy to drink, making it easy to drink again while trying to figure out the different nuances in the taste.
Overall, interesting beer. Will want to try again fo sho.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Served to me in a standard Pint Glass from my local gastropub of choice, Kickbacks.

Lighting is poor. But to say that this one is on the amber side would imply that in better lighting it would better to be called a few shades lighter. Found a better light source. A deep yellow, near red. Nice clarity. A solid finger of head on the pour. Lacing is rather nice, with distinguishable lines from sip to sip.

This is not my first attempt at this beer, so each time I am greeted by the same aroma. Apricots. There is a dominant sweetness off played by the hopped up oak body that creates a pleasant and quite fruity IPA. Very nicely done. Perhaps a bit on the sweet side.

Clean and crisp is how I would describe the regular Jai Alai. This one has a bit more sticky sweetness, followed by a residual lingering after-bite that distracts from the hoppy base of the beer. The foreflavor is rather weak, though the finish is pure white oak apricot essence. Very fruity, light and semi refreshing. Suprising, yet defined. Quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky from the oak resins, though it has a clean "presence" to it. I find the mouthfeel to be remiscent of a sipping belgian triple. A bit on the sweet side, but a solid hop base that provides a nice balance. This one comes off a bit on the sweet side though.

Overall, I find it to be an excellent example of taking a rather straightforward style (American IPA) and having a bit of fun. Well executed.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours orange. Citrus and sweet. Smells lots like the regular Jai Lai. Taste is more fruity though. Still delicious. Backed up with the oak flavor. Takes out some of the bitterness. It still gets you at the very end though. Great take on a great beer. Keeps the original character and adds just enough to make it unique.

Wife's Review: "Starts off good, doesn't end well. Not a taste I want hanging out in my mouth all day."

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Consumed 11/15/10

Poured into a Bruery tulip

A: Pours a huge, creamy white head with a murky orange body. Quite intimidating!

S: Whoo, the oak is in full force it seems. There's a slight malt present, and what seems to be a liiitle pine and bitterness from the hops, but big oaky notes are present.

T: My nose was correct. It's clean, fresh, bitter and drying on the finish, but with a huge oak profile. It's actually great for showing off what oak does to a beer, because this very flavor I have tasted before in many of the sours aged in oak barrels.

F: Oak lends itself to a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Pretty good carbonation too!

D: If you're looking for a citrus-pine punch in the face, look elsewhere. If you want a well done interpretation on the style with a very interesting flavor profile, this one is for you. I think the oak makes it a little less drinkable, but only because it's such a bold flavor.

2.67/5  rDev -36.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I am a huge fan of regular Jai Alai. It is one of my two favorites IPAs.

White Oak Jai Alai tastes no where near its original or an IPA. I may have had a shipment of bad bottles from Letspour (not likely, they have good quality control) but all the bottles tasted like cinder butter. They smelled of mild oak aged diacetyl (white oak may have caused this confusion). It had a warm and creamy mouth feel. I wanted to like this beer so much. I will try again in the future to see if my bottles were bad. Stick with normal Jai Alai.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ahhhh, another wonderful offering from Cigar City. I was quite fortunate to be one of my lbs when this was delivered. The beer guru never heard of it and was intrigued by its existence. I took the 4 pack home along with the Hopped on the High Seas Citra and new I was in for a treat! My first impression was coconut. The oak barrel contributed such a wonderful coconut flavor to this already stellar brew. I felt like I was on a tropical beach in the dead of winter. We actually had about a foot of snow on the ground when I popped the tab. Try this beer if you like Jai Alai. I love coconut and that's all I could think of with this brew. Awesome job!!

4.48/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks to ShrLSU for running the two drink minimum Fantasy football league. Thanks to a nice CCB package sent from tpd975, I get to review this gem!

Normal pour yields a hazy orangy brown base with a bright white thick creamy head. This head lasts for a bit and produces a fair amount of lacing. Pour = Quality appearance. The aroma is of strong citrusy hops balanced by Oak and butter cookies. The first sip is smooth with the mildly sweet oak reminiscent of toffee, hitting the front of the tongue. At first taste the style of the beer is indistinguishable as the oak does its thing but it is soon overtaken by a strong bitter hop blast. The carbonation is perfect and leads to a dry brisk peppery finish, with noticeable alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium thick and velvety.

The only beer I have to compare to this is Oak Aged Unearthly by Southern Tier. I find this vastly superior with the oak not as overwhelming, the ipa base zestier, and none of the sticky sweetness.

This is an A class brew for sure!

ISO More Cigar City (Effective immediately)

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

Had this on-tap at CCB. Served on a pint glass.

A: dark amber/brownish color, more on the opaque side. Small fizzy head but good retention. Very good lacing decorating the glass with foamy strands.

S: strong coconut smell, oak, pineapple, also some floral hints and hops. More on the 'sweet' side.

T: herbal, hoppy, wood. The taste of the hops is disguised a bit as the beer goes down and ends with some sweet notes.

M: light to medium body, carbonation was a bit on the high side.

O: overall it was a pretty good beer and a very peculiar IPA. I wish carbonation was on the lower side. Regardless, I recommend this beer.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Nice looking beer. A nice gradient from blonde to almost an amber when put to light. 1/2 finger head, dissipates into a layer.

S- Smells like an aged IPA...yeah the malt overtaking the hops and I am not one to say that aged IPAs are barleywines, but it smells kinda like a barleywine.

T- Oh wow, the oak. I mean I gotta give credit on the purity of that oak flavor, oaked wines don't hold the flavor this well and it really blends well with the IPA base here. Really pleasant, warm. This is coming from a hop head who wants IPAs fresh off the bottling line. Has like a medicinal finish, not unpleasant tho. I am very impressed. Glad I opened this on Christmas eve.

M- Smooth with a nice crisp finishing note.

O- Really impressed, especially considering I wasn't impressed by Jai Alai itself.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Received in a trade with richalexander78 - lots of great CCB beers!!

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Clear, copper hue with a nice, thick foamy 2 finger head that definitely lingers and left a nice cap all the way down. Very sticky with excellent lacing that stuck all the way down as well.

S - I can definitely smell the oak, along with some citrus (pineapple / mango?), and some toasted malts. Hop character not as pronounced as your typical IPA.

T & M - Nicely balanced with good carbonation, some sweetness up front with the toasted malt, and the hop / oak flavor finished it off.

Overall - A great beer. Nice, refreshing and great balance.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured into my trusty tulip.

A: Pours a hazy copper color with one finger head. Solid retention and above average lacing.

S: Oak is the first to hit the nose. Followed by caramel, citrus, vanilla, and hops. The oak is pretty much over powering this one.

T: The first drink has almost a whiskey-esque flavor due to the oak. Underneath, there's a nice citrus, piney, hoppy flavor.

M: Medium body with medium/high carbonation. Leaves a light oak/piney resin that clings to the mouth.

O: Good but not how I prefer my Jai Alai! I thought the oak overpowered everything and could have been more balanced.

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

12 oz. bottle, brought back from visit to Tampa and Cigar City Brewery in September. This is clearly past its optimal state. No freshness information. Poured into Duvel tulip glass.

A: Cloudy amber with no effervescence; 1-1/2" off-white, fluffy head that drops slowly and leaves gobs of lacing.

S: Oak, period.

T: Oak again, with increasing bitterness.

M: Creamy and smooth, with medium carbonation and medium body; dry finish & alcohol warming.

O: I've tasted this before and though the oak was always a prominent feature it not totally dominating -- I recall experiencing more complexity.

3.63/5  rDev -14%

Pours hazy amber with a two finger head of sticky foam that leaves some excellent lacing once it starts to drop. faint smell of coconut and vanilla comes through with the oak-like woody aroma - not a whole lot of kick from the hops but the hops that are present are tangy pineapple and citrusy. The flavor is not nearly as hoppy as I expected it's all just balanced with each characteristic just connecting one to the other - nice sweet caramel malts reach out to the subtle oily tropical hoppiness and a sawdust woody flavor to round this beer out as a more balanced less "in your face" hoppy beers. The mouthfeel was pretty full almost syrupy but somehow not too sticky - there was a whole lot of carbonation. Overall this beer is a nice sipper and enjoyable for a new beer that isn't readily available to me. I can appreciate the craft but I was a bit underwhelmed when comparing to my expectations of the incredible beer I was anticipating. Perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up as much as I did - oh well - it was still a good brew!

Cheers

4.46/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a dark slightly cloudy amber with a barley off white 2 finger head.

the smell is unique right off the bat i pick up some roasted caramel sweetness, followed by hops and a little bit of funkiness maybe that is the white oak pulling through

the taste wow this beer is great i don't find myself saying ipa and aged together as a good thing very often, but they did well with this. they gave it enough malt backbone that as it aged on the oak and the hops fell off that it picked up a sweet characteristic. this after you swallow you pick up grapefruit and floral hop flavors and it finishes with the oak

the mouthfeel is incredibly velvety for an ipa, it drinks like a milk stout. very thick and luscious.

overall this beer is on par with its BA score. very good will def hunt some down in the future.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%

This was a 12 oz bottle into a wide short glass (I may have had this on tap at Cigar City brewery also)

an amazing fine-textured head, slightly off-white color and exceptional lacing, also with one of the finest bubble sizes that I've seen

great oaky slightly malty smell

taste is just what the smell prepares you for; excellent with quite a strong aftertaste of barrel-agedness

feel matches the look of the head; exceptional

very drinkable but at 7.5%, gotta take it easy.

2.31/5  rDev -45.3%

A - pours a golden orange with a thin layer of foam. No retention

S - a very oaky and overwhelming odor. Extremely difficult to endure.

T - the oaky flavor completely dominates the whole beer

M - light and sloppy on the finish

O - Not impressed. The oak completely destroys the flavor of the beer. I did not enjoy this one.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: orange with white lace that maintains throughout the glass

S: floral, piny, wood

T: wood and hops, the oak is definitely front and center, but in a very complimentary, mellow manner it balances the bitter of the hops, dry

M: on the creamy side for the style without becoming syrupy

D: 12 ounces is about the right amount, it is very enjoyable wow this is different, but I would not want more than one in a session, but I certainly enjoyed the one

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

A-Pours a murky brownish orange color with about a finger's width head and nice lacing.
S-Very unique...with a hoppy earthiness and strong aroma of fresh cut wood.
T-This beer had a butter like quality with a taste almost like popcorn and of course the woody oakey flavor. The hops were bitter but took second stage with this different beer for me.
M-Moderate feel and carbonation.
D-This was a different experience and not what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised and wowed by this brew.

4.55/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like its regular Jai Alai sibling, I absolutely love the smell of this beer. Jai Alai is one of my favorite IPAs, and this one does not disappoint. The oak aging gives it a very sweet, vanilla taste. It is a completely different taste that the very fruity Jai Alai regular. I really enjoyed this and wish I could have taken home more than just a four pack to Virginia.

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Poured into tulip. Pours a mostly clear dirty orange with lace-y, off-white two-finger head.

Aroma: Interesting and intense aroma. I don't think I've encountered anything quite like this before. Tropical fruit hop notes are noticeable but are enveloped by a very potent woodiness, which, as the can says, presents a dill-like (or even, buttered popcorn?) aroma.

Taste: Follows nose but balance of hops to woodiness is reversed--tropical fruit hop flavors and bitterness shine through pleasant, spicy woodiness, transitioning to pleasantly sweet malt presence.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, light carbonation, smooth.

Overall: Very interesting take on an already superlative IPA. I can't say that I would pick this over regular Jai Alai, but it is a well-made and intriguing beer nonetheless.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Canned 9/9/2014. Poured into Spieglau IPA glass.

Opaque orange in color with one finger of white head. Good retention and lacing. Citrus on the nose plus tropical fruits. Very similar to Jai Alai. Good mouth feel with fairly light carbonation. Taste is sweet citrus, orange/tangerine. Maybe pineapple and mango, hint of lime. Bitterness muted by vanilla and wood (but not smoke). Very smooth finish. Liked it better than "regular" Jai Alai!

4.66/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Quite possibly the best aroma of any IPA I have ever had. So insanely fresh and bright, with tons of piney/citrus bursting through. As great as regular Jai Alai is, White Oak is just on another level. I have had this many times, both at the brewery on draft and in bottles/cans. This rating is based on the most recent batch - It was canned 4 days ago.

Love this beer

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

2013 March release batch. I have not been able to get regular Jai Alai for months but Cigar City threw a bone to South Florida and sent some cases of the oaked stuff down.

A- Dark cloudy gold with tons of sediment

S- Floral and oak

T- Delicious soft grapefruit, with wonderful tones of oak and vanilla

M- Nice carbonation for an IPA and has a long finish which is nice and smooth.

At first I thought I had been lucky and received the bottom of the barrel due to the amount of haziness and sediment but however reading the recent posts I have concluded that this batch had more morsels of goodness then in the past. I guess if the trade off is no reg Jai Alai and they send this stuff down every quarter or so, I would not complain.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a deep gold with a three finger head. The website says I should be getting vanilla and dill on the nose. That description could not be any more true. I get dill first followed by vanilla and a noticeable whiskey aroma. Very bizarre, yet interesting aroma. No hops to speak of on the smell. The taste is much smoother than the standard Jai Alai. I get tons of vanilla and whiskey initially, while the dill and hops finish things off. I don't taste a hint of bitterness. Overall, one of the more interesting takes on an IPA. While I am impressed with this brew, I prefer the regular Jai Alai more. This is not nearly as drinkable as Jai Alai and the whiskey-like taste can be a little overpowering. Either way, a must-try and I will enjoy the rest of the 4-pack throughout the weekend.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing