Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this on tap at CCB. Definitely my favorite thing I had there... and I was a big fan of the Humidor IPA from a previous tasting, too. Just plain interesting. Where can I get some White Oak? Served in a shaker pint glass.

The beer has a creamy, inviting foamy head that just opens my eyes and waters my mouth. Heck yes. You can tell they put a lot of effort into clean glassware here... and since I'm getting it at the brewery, I feel like I can include that in the beer's score. The body itself is a slightly hazy, standard IPA. However, the head alone merits the 4.5.

The IPA was fruity as all get go... and that's how I love my IPAs. They said it was made with a blend of hops and dry hopped with Simcoe. Every one of them added to the smell and taste. It was a veritable mixture of fruits and succulent flavors. The oak itself provides a different kind of fruit flavor. This stuff is addictive and I keep loving every extra sip. In addition to the wonderful flavor, the mouthfeel is solid, but not mindblowing. This isn't exactly a Live Oak beer or anything... but it will do the job.

CCB's experimentation provides some hits and misses, but this hits all over the place. This may be my favorite standard IPA I've had and I'd jump at the chance to have it on tap again.

UTCengOwl, Jun 25, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

2013 March release batch. I have not been able to get regular Jai Alai for months but Cigar City threw a bone to South Florida and sent some cases of the oaked stuff down.

A- Dark cloudy gold with tons of sediment

S- Floral and oak

T- Delicious soft grapefruit, with wonderful tones of oak and vanilla

M- Nice carbonation for an IPA and has a long finish which is nice and smooth.

At first I thought I had been lucky and received the bottom of the barrel due to the amount of haziness and sediment but however reading the recent posts I have concluded that this batch had more morsels of goodness then in the past. I guess if the trade off is no reg Jai Alai and they send this stuff down every quarter or so, I would not complain.

BWarrington, Mar 04, 2012

Amazing IPA here

Appearance is a nice golden, hazy color, with eggshell colored head, and light carbonation.

The smell of a big ripe fruity burst hits you immediately, with a small alcohol burn, and finishing with a big lasting pine scent. Really enjoyable

Tastes hits the front of the mouth with a ton of fruity, almost pineapple and mango taste - then bitterness hits the back of the tongue , and finally a big juicy bitter finish. Amazing. A little heat from the 7.5 alcohol, but blends perfectly with the sweet tastes - and only gets better while it warms up.

Overall - My favorite IPA by Cigar City.. Their Papaya IPA doesn't even have this immense of a fruity taste. This is right up there with Hopslam. I love it !

Lefty1881, Aug 08, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Thanks to heatwave33 for the trade.

This one poured a milky golden hue that was a little difficult to see through. It had a slightly creamy mouth feel, reminiscent of a Belgian golden ale, but with a slight hop bite that was refreshing. Overall, I really enjoyed this one and could see myself drinking many more if it were distributed up towards Chicago.

Bravo to Cigar City for brewing such a complex brew that is available year round.

arambler, Oct 08, 2011
4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap into a ccb pint glass

A golden, hazy, nice thick white head, light lacing, head dissipates at a medium pace into a nice white crown

S wow! Coconut, vanilla, sweet hops, light citrus. Amazing!

T the best thing ever! Heavy coconut, vanilla beginning and middle, almost tropical hop and citrus ending. The after taste is mellow and smooth coconut milk.

M smooth as silk. light, good carbonation, fun.

O in my top 3 ipas of all time.,, this beer is delicious, if you have the opportunity get it and get a lot of out. Highly recommended by me, not that it matters, but wow, it is great

Lare453, Oct 22, 2012
4.64/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter.

Appearance - A beautiful golden/amber color. Slightly hazy.

Smell - Wood. Hops. It's in your face and it smells amazing.

Taste - Very apparent notes of oak. There is a subdued note of vanilla from the oak barrel. As with the standard Jai Alai, the hop profile gives a very nice citrusy/floral taste.

Mouthfeel - Slightly creamy. This is likely due to the bottle being in my refrigerator for a few weeks, but nonetheless, it's amazing.

Overall - This beer is in a class of its' own as far as IPA's are concerned (I know, that's subjective). In my humble opinion, this is one of the most delicious IPA's out there if you can get your hands on it!

Ryan_C, Jun 10, 2013
4.64/5  rDev +10%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

wow, this is one of the best beers ive ever had! it pours a deep copper color with good carbonation amounting to a few fingers of lasting white head. the nose is incredible. pine hops in full swing, but with some oaky and bourbon style vanilla essences giving a refined sweetness and earthen profile to an already outstanding ipa. the oak adds a lot of flavor too, with vanilla being the most evident contribution. its there through the whole drink, and really softens up some of the bitterness from the regular jai alai, without depleting the intensity of the hops at all. the malt is sturdy enough to support all this complexity, and the carbonation is mellow but just right. the alcohol is also very well disguised, and I could happily (and drunkenly) consume five or eight of these no problem. this beer is in many ways everything I stand for in beer, its artfully made, its super sessionable, is complex and hoppy, and its entirely unique. one of the more memorable beers out there, and one I would love to acquire more of. not sure ive had a wooded beer that I like more, no kidding. this is an A+

StonedTrippin, May 22, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a Sweetwater pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy orange amber color but on the lighter side with a half finger head than leaves a thin lacing after only a few seconds.

S:Smells like a pina colada. tropical fruit flavors, vanilla, light off coconut, citrus..interesting

T: this blew me away....nothing like any IPA I have ever had. The oak hits you hard first then it transitions into a smooth smooth vanilla flavor and finishes with a little bitterness..bonus is the burp gives you a little pine.

M: creamy, medium bodied, just feels right

O: This is a great rendition on an IPA. The vanilla white oak really compliments the hops and bitterness well, its not something you would session all night to me only because it is slightly sweet on the tongue but damn is it good. CCB makes me happay, happay, happay.

hornsup, Jan 31, 2013
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours dark copper with two fingers of white fluffy head. Darker than Jai Alai with some big soapy bubbles that aren't typical of the original. The smell is mango, orange juice, and tangerine, coming off quite a bit sweeter and riper than original Jai Alai. I have to try pretty hard to pick up on the smell of oak. The taste is sweet vanilla up front, followed by a grapefruit bite and an earthy oak finish. The beer has a superb balance that attenuates any bitterness. This is miles ahead of the smoky mess that is the Humidor Series Jai Alai and I dare say that I like it more than original Jai Alai, which is my go-to IPA.

itsscience, Jan 23, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

I had a sample of this on tap at the brewery, but I'm reviewing the bottled version.

A: Splotchy, cloudy orange, with a nice finger or so head that continued to stick to the glass even as I siphoned down the liquid.

S: Weird how the oak makes this more bitter, fruity, and colorful than the actual based beer. Mango, orange, and vanilla.

T: Citrus Creamcicle! Honestly, that is the absolute best way to describe this one. I would say that overall it is more on the fruit (candy) side than the hop bitter one.

M: I got a mild, yet divine booze warming on the end, but overall, this was creamy and smooth. The sugar was tempered by the oak, and the carbonation was low to moderate.

O: Pretty awesome stuff. Cigar City makes some of the best non-bitter IPAs on the market.

Chaney, Jul 16, 2011
4.61/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served from a 12oz bottle into a Grey Sail pint.

Appearance- Hazy copper with no head and a good bit of sediment floating around.

Smell- Oak (go figure), caramel malts, light piney hops, vanilla bean, mango (tropical Fruit). Very exciting!

Taste- Oaky caramel and vanilla, light piney hops with a solid malt backbone. No real fruit as was in the nose. Finishes smooth and malty with a light hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium bodied with light carbonation. Based on the taste of the beer, I want more viscosity.

Overall- Soooo much different than normal Jai Alai. Tastes more like a heavily oaked Bigfoot.

Seanniek91, Mar 28, 2013
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz into a DFH Signature Glass.

Pours a hazy deep orange. Throws up a giant 3 inch head with nice retention and great lacing. Aroma is sweet citrus hops and lovely wood. Taste follows, with the oak taking center stage. I love what the guys down in Tampa are doing with Jai Alai. This beer is their canvas, and every iteration I have been lucky enough to try is a masterpiece.

mondegreen, Oct 02, 2010
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A bit faded but the date appears to be Aug 15, 2012. 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

A - Pours a hazy dark orange body. Loads of yeast and sediment line the bottom of the glass. A frothy and soapy two finger off white head forms and sticks around for a while. Immense lacing and retention. Looks like the topping of a cappuccino. It certainly doesn't bother me, but I've yet to see a beer have this much sediment.

S - Where to start? This beer is just so unique. Aroma starts off with intense ripe mango and peach juice. Candied peach rings, some floral hops and a touch of the dankness that I found in the standard Jai Alai. Finally on the end there is some wood and warm vanilla.

T - Less tropical than the nose. Grassy and floral hops start off. Some peaches and cream. Then a strong wood presence with some vanilla. Mouth feel is silky, creamy and well carbonated. Really great feel to it.

O - Really unique beer here. I guess the closest thing to compare this to would be Burton Baton. Huge gobs of tropical notes with a fresh white oak finish. Perma-ISO!

davey101, Nov 26, 2012
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled at the Cigar City Brewery less than a week ago, thanks to my great friends in Florida! 12oz bottle poured into a Snifter.

A: Color is amber gold, head recedes quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing.

S: Here is where this beer dominates. Heavy aromas of grapefruit, oak/wood, citrus, and hints of pineapple, peaches, and coconut. Amazing, i can't wait to indulge.

T: Very nice. All that comes through in the smell translates beautifully in the taste. Lots of grapefruit, well balanced, and the oak adds a one-of-a-kind complexity to this beer.

M: Light carbonation, smooth and light, very drinkable.

O: I am pretty wowed by this beer, never had an IPA with all these tropical flavors. So damn good.

mnphish, Dec 19, 2012
4.6/5  rDev +9%

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a hazy, copper colored body. The head settles quickly and leaves moderate lace.

S - An incredible, complex aroma of coconut, vanilla, dill, and cardamom. The hops only come out in the background with notes of pineapple and resinous pine along with a subtle note of bready malt.

T - Bready malt up front with a little bit of toffee. Savory spice notes of dill and basil come out in the middle along with moderate pine hop flavors. Finishes with a hint of coconut and lots of herbal wood flavor as well as moderate pine hops and fairly strong, somewhat pithy bitterness. Lingering herbal flavors blend with the bitterness and leave a grapefruit note on the palate.

M - Medium body, moderately low carbonation, and a balanced finish.

D - This is a great IPA that really benefits from the white oak in unique and wonderful ways. The aroma is absolutely spectacular and I find myself sticking my nose back in the glass time and again just to enjoy it. The character of the white oak is like nothing I have ever experienced in a beer before and it works with the base beer perfectly. The notes of coconut and dill mesh exquisitely with the hops and bring out a resinous pine note that is much stronger than I remember it being in straight up Jai Alai. A beer aged on an alternative wood like this had the potential to simply be a gimmicky one off, but in this case it ended up being something really different that showed me some character that I had never seen in a beer before, which is something that happens only very occasionally at this point in my beer tasting career. This has to be my favorite version of Jai Alai so far and perhaps the best Cigar City beer that I have tried.

nickfl, Sep 17, 2010
4.59/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Copper with no visible carbonation, lots of off white floating particles, 3 fingers of yellowish head.

S: Orange, pine, a little oak, orange candy, sweet.

T: Orange candy, oak, vanilla, dill, sweet, well rounded with a little bitterness on the finish.

M: Thick substantial body with little carbonation. Smooth, well hidden alcohol.

O: Excellent brew. Really enjoying the IPA qualities with the oak aging. Reminiscent of oaked double bastard in orange sweet quality and oak aged quality. Really top of the list. Bought and drank at Deerfield Beach FL, July 16, 2014.

patre_tim, Jul 17, 2014
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

On tap at the Marshal Zhukov RIS barrel-aged release party. I'm really intrigued by CCB's tradition of revisiting of their standard brews-this should be a treat.

Poured into a small sampler glass. Slightly murky golden-copper, with a thin but lingering head.

The nose is brilliant - a superb blend of citrus hops, oak, smokiness and a lovely tropical blend of mango and orange, possibly coconut, vanilla. Anything but your standard IPA bouquet. Love it!

Taste is also superb, probably my favorite IPA of the trip. I could really detect the standard Jai Alai foundation (citrus and earthy hops, malt, caramel), but the addition of the oak wood brought about an excellent woodsy, fruity character that brought out the best in the basic recipe.

Medium bodied for an IPA, easy drinking carbonation.

Were I able to stay longer, I would have had several of these on draft. Just a great blending of flavors. Definitely restores my faith in the evolution of the American IPA! (Shame I can't bring some home with me!)

JohnnyBarman, Aug 03, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Another instant classic from CCB, I was beyond thrilled when this one hit my porch yesterday. Thank you soo much. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 07/10/10.

Pour is immediately cloudy with a thin wispy head of white that caps the top rather nicely I might add. Settles down into a dark amber color that really puts on quite a nice show.

Aroma is soo different then anything else it is hard to put into words. Spicy, lots of oak, hints of pepper, light hops. Really very nicely done. A whole nother world here folks. As you let it warm it really starts to show off. Really such a woody beer as all I can really taste are spicy notes of oak, hints of light peppery hops, some herbal qualities and that wonderful sense of oak. I really cannot describe it any other way. Light hints of booze in the finish with a dry spicy note again to close the show.

Overall one of the best treatments I have seen them do by far Simply amazing.

mikesgroove, Jul 11, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a stemmed tulip. Thanks goes to Todes for this one.

A - Beautiful orange amber that almost looks like it is glowing. Big fluffy yellow tinted white head on top. Nice sticky lacing is on the side of the glass as this one goes down.

S - Sweet pineapple, mango and other tropical fruit smells with a nice sweetness in there. Honestly one of the best smelling IPA's I've ever smelt.

T - Once again some mango like sweetness with a nice touch of citrus and tropical flavored hops. The white oak is definitely present and takes away some hop bite but this is still delicious. Easily is the best oak aged IPA I've had yet.

M - medium body with a good amount of carbonation and a bit of sticky syrupyness.

D - really drinkable. A really solid IPA. The smell is phenomenal and the tropical fruit qualities in the taste is fantastic. After having 110k + OT 3 I wasn't expecting much from this but now I see why Cigar City is so well regarded.

jpmclaug, Sep 15, 2010

Just landed tonight:)

Pour is a little darker amber than the traditional Jai Alai. Its more of an amber.

The smell is just amazing and perfect. Sweet sticky hops dominate the hose . Oranges and lemons really just explode, and the oak is slightly peppery.

Ok so the taste. The first, and most important thing is the wood. It adds a peppery bitterness which just sets this thing apart. The hops are fruity and citric upfront with a serious oranges and lemons taking over. I never knew that peppery fruit was a good thing, but yes it is.

The body is super light, with only a hint of powdery malt really showing through the blast of hops and wood. The hops extracts feel slick, which just helps the drinkability.

This is definitely the best wood-aged IPA ive had yet. Burton Baton is out of the question, but Oaked Unearthly from Southern Tier was close. This one has more of a balance and a better hop bill. The fruits still shine through everything, while the oak aging is a fantastic accent.

VncentLIFE, Sep 07, 2012
4.56/5  rDev +8.1%

Mikemcgrath4, Sep 19, 2014
4.55/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer is really interesting and not like any other IPA I've ever had. I really think that the white oak works great with the regular jai alai as a base, very nice beer.

A: Dark Amber to brownish body, very opaque with a nice stable pinky of foamy head and super lacing. A little too dark for an IPA, but nice.

S: Awesome bouquet of oak, pine, vanilla, hop resin, sugary citrus, and nutmeg. Very nice.

T: I am very pleased with this taste, it is very awesome to me, though I can see why others might not like it since it is really quite different. Pleasing hop bitterness overall mingles with vanilla oak, spicy herbs, citrus hops, a nice malt backbone as well. The nutmeg and pine also shine through as it warms. Wow this is excellent.

M: Nice medium feel overall, but I find it a little over carbonated. Nice bitter finish.

D: Awesome beer overall, very tasty. I highly recommend trying this, though I dont think you could do more than one 12oz of this before it would get old. Awesome showing from Cigar City.

Dreadnaught33, Nov 28, 2010
4.54/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like its regular Jai Alai sibling, I absolutely love the smell of this beer. Jai Alai is one of my favorite IPAs, and this one does not disappoint. The oak aging gives it a very sweet, vanilla taste. It is a completely different taste that the very fruity Jai Alai regular. I really enjoyed this and wish I could have taken home more than just a four pack to Virginia.

Seanem44, Jul 17, 2014
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap at kickbacks in jax. Poured into a snifter. White head, moderate lacing on a hazy marmalade body. Soapy and oily lacing. Aroma is spicy, hoppy, fruity (citrus), maybe a touch smokey. Taste has a nice light sweetness, high bitterness, very smooth with no alcohol taste at all. Nice spicy character on taste along with a touch of vanilla. Awesome.

KickbacksSteve, Nov 19, 2012
4.53/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a dark slightly cloudy amber with a barley off white 2 finger head.

the smell is unique right off the bat i pick up some roasted caramel sweetness, followed by hops and a little bit of funkiness maybe that is the white oak pulling through

the taste wow this beer is great i don't find myself saying ipa and aged together as a good thing very often, but they did well with this. they gave it enough malt backbone that as it aged on the oak and the hops fell off that it picked up a sweet characteristic. this after you swallow you pick up grapefruit and floral hop flavors and it finishes with the oak

the mouthfeel is incredibly velvety for an ipa, it drinks like a milk stout. very thick and luscious.

overall this beer is on par with its BA score. very good will def hunt some down in the future.

soughtbygod, Jan 24, 2012