Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

Well, that will teach me to send an unsolicited box to moose3285. I sent him a little box a couple months ago &, lo & behold, he ships a mammoth box full of Cigar City treats that I've never tried before. I know where you live, man.

Popped open & de-virginizes an excellent Great Lakes glass sent recently by bb189 (thanks!). Marshmallow head leans over a cloudy beer of light orange character & naked carbonation. Smell is a lovely blend of subdued wood & tropical hops, but less prominent than the base beer.

White Oak Jai Alai brings the oak in the form of a gentle clubbing. The oak doesn't dominate the front end, but the entire second half & locker room belong to the wood. Jai Alai's floral, tropical fruits duck & weave into view immediately, but slink away under the weight of the oak.

Let's be honest, I'd love to try every version of Jai Alai CC can dream up. This is the third version I've tasted & it's *only* very good. The oak bludgeoned some of Jai Alai's best qualities into the second tier. Don't get the idea I'd ever turn one down, though.

maximum12, Nov 21, 2010

egrace84, Feb 12, 2014

NCBeernut, Jun 06, 2012

Will_Rivera, Jul 25, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Date on bottle is May 4th 2011, I think.

A very nice tight retention off white head of a good solid 3 fingers. Foamy, clumpy and tightness sits on a suspended glowing orange body with some hazyness. Too bad for the cloudyness unfortunately still looks good.

Woah what is that on the nose! It's buttery floral and grass. Garden, honeysuckle and bee pollen. Hints of salt and pickle brine. Bizarre but I am going to say I actually enjoy this.

Hit of hop and pickles. No joke, hint of salty brine of cucumber and dill pickle on the finish. DILL DILL DILL holly cow batman! I don't mind this but woah is this ridiculous. A good hop finish and initial bent, some hints of diacetyl like butter comes through also matching the butter sense on the nose.

Fairly simple feel and body, nothing off putting or outlandish.

Overall I am beginning to think aging IPAs with oak either resting, chips, or barrels is a recipe for disaster but we'll see. Right now though I need some sour cream to go with these Dill potato chips I just drank.

smakawhat, Jul 14, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

I’m finally getting to the bottom of Stankonia’s LIF box; up next is CCB’s White Oak Jai Alai IPA. I’ve seen this beer on “disappointment of the year” and “beer of the year” lists, so I’m ready for anything. Cheers!

Brewed five months ago (“AUG2011” on the label).

A: Hazy amber-orange body, pouring with a moderate thickness. Cream-colored head, thick enough to produce a two-fingered head in an oversized wine glass. Just a shade of lacing with hardly any retention.

S: Pumpkin spice, toffee, and figgy malts, spicy and light at first whiff. Hops are citrusy and a little astringent, feeling medical and syrupy when combined with those base scents. Bubblegum, light woodiness, and strong (very strong) pine, as well. Ends on a note of orange rind.

T: Starts fruity – sweet, refreshing citrus fruit with a bitter orange-juice bite. Then come the hops, with a flavor of powerful, resiny pine; it’s a common bitterness for an IPA. The backbone reminds me of Sierra Nevada’s Celebration Ale – a compliment for any IPA – because of its big-bread taste and its dark, chewy malts. There isn’t much to indicate this beer was aged on any type of wood, though, especially something as hearty as oak. It’s one of those beers where I wish there was more, but I’m still ok with the flavor profile. Dry, fruity-sweet aftertaste; a mouthful of orange, honey, and rose petals ends it.

M: Smooth, somewhat flat-feeling. Feels full and goes down very easy.

O: Another relatively good IPA from Cigar City. As far as wood-aged IPAs go, this is the first one I’ve had, so I can’t really say how it stacks up to beers like FFF Blackheart and the like. Only one thing to do, then: drink more beer like this. Shame…

BarryMFBurton, Jan 06, 2012
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

A slightly hazy ruby red amber with a finger of fluffy foam poured into my tulip. Nose reveals a touch of sweet strawberry, blood orange, creamy vanilla and custard filled pastry. Tasty is creamy and refreshing with a light hop bite as well as a touch of tannins from the oak the the finish. The taste is nearly as complex as the nose but does have some red fruit along with bitter citrus peel and a nice dry malt taste. Very nice ipa and easily drinkable as well.

Trilogy31, Apr 29, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to KickInTheChalice for sharing this with me.

The nose is quite nice, surprisingly I noted a lot of vanilla and mango with only a touch of the traditional hops smell. The creamy vanilla smell was pretty potent. Call me weird, but I thought this was a beautiful beer in appearance. A very cloudy apricot color, half a finger of fluffy head and very sticky lacing.

Being the only white oak beer I've ever had, the taste was a bit surprising. I noticed heavy cream and spiciness with the hops bitterness on the back end. Some sweet citrus like nectarines were present, but the lack of citrusy hops was evident. Mouthfeel was interesting, it almost bites the mouth with the carbonation but yet leaves a bit of an oily feeling. Overall, a fun intro to white oak aging, although this won't be on my short list of favorite IPAs.

willseph, Dec 12, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle, thanks to whoever sent this to me as an extra. Poured into imperial nonic.

A - Pours a mirky/hazy orange color, white head, thin ring, wisps on top, spotty lacing.

S - Oak, citrus, hoppy bitterness, some malty sweetness. Not exactly sure how old this is, but the hops are pretty faint while the oak takes a front seat.

T - Oak, light hoppy bite, tropical notes, citrus peel. The oak, hops, and sweetness are really nice and smooth. Nothing is too over-the-top, although the oak is very easy to pick out.

M - Light, good carbonation, oily semi-dry finish.

O - This is really the first oak-aged IPA I've ever had. I really like the oak characteristic that this beer has. It doesn't hurt the hops or tropical notes, which surprises me. Really nice for something different and I would drink again but not a session IPA by any means.

Sean9689, Oct 12, 2011
3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to a generous trader!

Pours a billowy yellow-orange with about a two inch off-white foam head.

Smells like a bit 'o pineapple, something else tropical...mango? .... and a slice of fresh grapefruit and bittering pine. The oak cuts through it like a razor blade.

Wow, the oak is present in the flavor. Kind of reminds of oaked arrogant bastard, but here the oak is much more abrasively aggressive. Grapefruit, some tropic notes, and the pine/bitterness is more than I expected.

I think I've now had 3-4 versions of this beer, but never the "base" jai alai. I have a feeling that's the best beer of the lot, since thus far, the extra stuff has proven distracting.

Mouthfeel's nice.

Overlord, Nov 22, 2010
3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Straight pour from 12oz pry-off beer to a 25cl Duvel Single tulip; bottling date of October 16, 2012 printed in white ink, sideways near the back of the label (“16 OCT 2012”), so exactly two weeks old on the date of consumption.

Appearance (4.0): Pours a good two fingers of moderately tight head, custard-colored, above a very slightly hazy, deep amber colored-body that has deep orange hues against the light. The head leaves some widely-spaced but thick legs of lace, and the head falls to a thick collar towards the end. Good-looking beer, not perfect but very good overall.

Smell (3.5): Dill? Yeah, that’s a very noticeable dill scent, which I hadn’t picked up on before. Little bit of vanilla that blends with that at-first-odd dill note to come off somewhat coconutty. There’s some understated, pale, grainy malt character underneath, but it gets lost in the oak and hops, for the most part. Turns more toasted coconut as it warms.

Taste (4.0): This can go one of two ways: at first it can come off as a pale ale brewed with some dill that accounts for both body flavor and bitterness, or it can come off as a moderately citrusy IPA with some toasted coconut and coconut milk tones, adding a mellow, buttery but still fruity dimension to the base beer. Personally I’m not enjoying the dill end of the spectrum, so I’m trying to focus on the coconut dynamic. Fortunately, it goes more toward the coconut tones as it warms. Moving on . . .

So, the Jai Alai base is evident here: some plain, lightly sugary bread character (think of, maybe, an elephant’s ear pastry) acts as a base for some good, citrusy fruit character. The juicy, orange-pineapple kind of citrus tones that are so prominent in the base beer are muted here underneath the coconut tones (hi there, white oak), but the citrus zest bitterness comes out at the end, though somewhat tame compared to the base, too. This really mellows as it warms, the coconut (née dill) blends in better; meanwhile, no alcohol or yeast notes at all. Improves quite a bit as it warms, actually.

Mouthfeel (4.0): Even carbonation, not prickly at any point but sharpens a bit before it foams on the way down; the body is just under medium-weight, not syrupy at all and only a bit of oily character. Finishes pretty dry.

Overall (3.5): I haven’t had many wood- or barrel-aged hoppy pales before, and I appreciate this one but I admit I’m not convinced on the idea behind it*. I’m sure it has potential and I can see why a lot of people like this beer a lot, but it’s not 100% for me. My advice is this: if you think you’d be averse to dill, let it warm up first, and then it turns into a smoother, woody, coconutty dimension. Definitely not a bad beer overall, but not for everyone.

*Edit: I take that back, Burton Baton is a phenomenal beer.

fmccormi, Oct 30, 2012