Microbrew Invitational

Style: American IPA

Added by tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 397 | Ratings: 1,853
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can served at paradise by the slice.
Poured into a glass, it has a burnt orange color body with a small head. The aroma has a pine, citrus hints to it. The taste is oak and vanilla up front with piney hoppy ness to it. Also has a sweetness to it.
The mouthfeel is smooth and overall it is a great beer.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Bottle. Pours a slightly hazed copper amber orange color with a very small bubbled tight antique white head. The aroma is very different than most IPA's I have ever smelled with notes of pineapple, coconut, mango, and some citrus. The oak must really have an effect on the aroma. Medium mouthfeel with a nice amojnt of carbonation. The taste is sweet tropical fruit flavor followed by a nice hop bitterness in the end that lingers on for a while. Nice lace left on the glass as I drink this. The oak shows through in the beginning as well. It still amazes me all the things CCB does with a great base beer as the White Oak version is great!

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

This was the beer that got me most excited in a birthday box from Mikesgroove. Now I can call myself a real member of this site, having gotten beer from Mikesgroove.

A- Damn, they dont get too much better looking than this. Its a glowing burnt orange with an ever so light haze. The head is absolutely towering. One of the kinds of heads that will stick out above the rim of the glass and taunt you. It makes you wait to finish pouring and then wait some more to drink it. Lacing? There must be a better word for it than lacing.

S- This is a whole new beast. Very, very, very woody. If you thought Palo Santo was the most woodsy, check yo head. Fresh wood pulp, sap, pine bough, juniper berries. Its very intense and woodsy. Like the drippings from a wood chipper.

T- This tastes as much like a national park as it smells. The oak brings deciduous wood flavors and the hops bring the coniferous. There is pine sap, wood pulp, the moisture from green saplings. Hops also carry a citrus profile, mostly of sweet nectarine. This stuff is very, very sweet. There is no bitterness at the end and the finish feels almost empty.

M- The carbonation is quite high. Huh, who would have guessed a beer with meringue for a head had some carbonation? Its very dry with a full body.

D- I liked this stuff very much but Im left questioning some things. I certainly wouldnt be drinking this stuff in succession like other IPAs, but I would like having it on hand.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to Heatwave33 for the bottle.

Poured into a highball glass.

Has a slightly off-white head, about a finger thick, that leaves some nice lace on the glass. The color reminds me of bright apple cider that's opaque enough to hide the bubbles.

The smell is full of sweet oak with a little bit of hops hiding behind. It makes my mouth water, so I dove right in.

The taste matches the smell at the start: oaky sweetness. The oak subsides a bit and allows some hoppy bitterness. The bitter steps aside and all that's left is a creamy oak flavor.

For an oak aged beer, I'm surprised with the carbonated feel, especially considering other wood barreled beers that I've had. This is a nice surprise.

Overall I really enjoyed this brew. I've had a few other oaked IPA's in the past and was disappointed. I never detected any of the alcohol, which for me is always impressive.

Recommended

4.19/5  rDev +1%

Bottle thanks to johnyb. Poured into a tulip.

Pour: Hazy deep orange with two fingers of off white soapy head. Head sticks around and leaves moderate lacing.

Smell: Wow. I get a huge burst of citrusy hops, followed by a mellow coconut. Some caramel rounds out the nose. Unlike anything I've smelled before. Huge surprise.

Taste: Another first. Never tasted anything like this. A sweet caramel upfront leads into a citrusy coconut. Some vanilla mingles in there as well. This was really nice.

Mouthfeel: Super juicy, and yet very dry. I think the flavor profile cuts down on the drinkability for me. I would only have one of these at any one time.

Overall: Really curious, and a very good beer. I would consider this a nightcap of an IPA, not for the ABV, but the intense, different flavor profile.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 3/28/16, so a little over a week old. Thanks, Beer4B!

Appearance - Pours a dark, golden amber color that is nearly crystal clear. A good amount of carbonation can be seen within the beer feeding a rocky, 2-fingered creamy head. The head retention is long-lasting and leaves behind a silky lattice of foam behind.

Aroma - The aroma is loaded with hops but is balanced with a very nice sweetness that is part malt, part oak. The wood adds a subtle vanilla note that plays nicely with the fruity hops. Large amounts of citrus and pine in here for sure.

Taste - Whoa. While the aroma imparted some notion of the oak-aging, the taste hits you with it full-bore. In fact, it is the very first thing I taste, even before all of the hops. It is a little abrasive at first, like sucking on a toothpick, but it mellows out near the finish to a sweet vanilla flavor. The hops are super juicy as well - like fresh squeeze citrus. The combination of the hops and oak is interesting, but a winner.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is on the heavier side with good carbonation. The finish is long-lasting and there's a heft to this beer that helps support the big flavors going on.

Closing Arguments - I think this may only be my third oak-aged IPA after Dogfish Head's Burton Baton and Voodoo's Bourmuda Triangle (featuring bourbon, rum, and tequila barrels). While this isn't the most prevalent style, it is a nice detour from the wealth of IPAs out there. This is well worth a visit.

Rating: 8.5/10

On tap at Cigar City.

A - Cloudy and honey-like in color. Nice head retention and sticky lacing.

S - Citrus and pine as an IPA should smell, but there is also a nice hint of vanilla and tropical fruits.

T - Citrusy but not pungent. I think the oak aging mellows out the Jai Alai base and makes it more drinkable, IMO.

M - Beautiful carbonation and creaminess throughout the session.

D - A very smooth and easy drinking IPA. I think the oak adds a gorgeous complexity to the aroma and palate.

Definitely A Winner...move over Humidor!!

Salud!!

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz can dated 3/18/16 into a DFH snifter L: clear blood orange color with a half finger of head, spotty lacing, and moderate bubble streams S: sweet vanilla oak, citrus, and slight pine notes T: sweet smokey oak upfront followed by citrus flavors and then a slightly bitter finish F: very creamy mouthfeel with a dry finish O: this reminds me of an Innis & Gunn beer, but it isn't as sweet as their beers, and it's much more balanced. The sweet notes from the barrel go well with the bitter flavors of the hops. Not something I would drink regularly, but it's an enjoyable beer.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A 12 fl oz can with a canned on date of 17th November 2015 and poured into a Spiegelau IPA glass.

Appearance: It poured a clear golden orange colour with a two finger white head with lots of stringy lacing.

Aroma: Tropical mango, pineapple and peach with some citrus grapefruit followed by hints of vanilla and dill.

Taste: Strong vanilla and oak upfront with mango and peach supporting and hints of grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: Dry, medium bodied with light carbonation.

Overall: I have not tried the original base IPA yet as I haven’t been able to get my hands on any. However, although this is not the first barrel aged IPA that I’ve tried, I haven’t tasted any beer like this one before. The tropical fruit taste mixed with vanilla was interesting and a refreshing change.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a white head. The aroma is the pine and citrus that I expect from Jai Alai, but it is accented with some oaked notes.

The flavor is more of the same. There is a light oak flavor that compliments the pine, citrus and pineapple notes. I think the oak cuts the bitterness, which is lower than I remember from the regular Jai Alai. Very well done.

Medium mouthfeel and medium mouthfeel.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Delivered to the table in a Belgium style stemmed glass. Glowing murky gold body hosts a full inch of off white creamy foam head. The normal Jai Lai nose is dominated by the fresh rustic white oak. Normal I'm not a huge fan of oak but it is beautiful here. Oak is resin based on the flavor profile. The oak actually brings out the grapefruit in the overall flavor very strongly. Paints the mouth with the oak and grapefruit leaving a very pleasant mouthfeel. A solid version but I like the original a bit more.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A: orange with white lace that maintains throughout the glass

S: floral, piny, wood

T: wood and hops, the oak is definitely front and center, but in a very complimentary, mellow manner it balances the bitter of the hops, dry

M: on the creamy side for the style without becoming syrupy

D: 12 ounces is about the right amount, it is very enjoyable wow this is different, but I would not want more than one in a session, but I certainly enjoyed the one

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Big thanks to Todes and Bobby8402 for hauling some of this up fer me!

12oz bottle, no bottled on date, says: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak". Okay!

A. A very pretty head on this baby, dense and fluffy, long lasting and solid. Tiny amounts of lace and active carbonation beautify my Sam Adams pint glass. The dull mandarin orange brew seriously needs drinking.

S. Smells just like Jai Alai but with a bunch of dry, spicy oak! Woodsy and reminds me of an oaky white wine. The IPA here is no slouch either: a sweet-sticky grapefruit hop presence with a significant floral orange note. A delightful take on an already good nose.

T. Flavor is solid, a tasty, sticky well-balanced (and high abv...) IPA with added characterful wood. The oak works well here, and Cigar City made the right call by not going with a heavy toasted oak, as I feel it would have been too much. The oak here also dries this out a little in the finish and wraps the hop bitterness up and tames it a little -- I think this is honestly an improvement on the base beer! In fact, as I drink more of it, I'm quite confident in saying so.

M / D. Adequate carbonation here, medium bodied mouthfeel, honey-hop bitterness with that dash of smug oak again in the finish. There really is no escaping it.

White Oak Jai Alai is really great, and a fun take on an already above-average East Coast IPA. Highly recommended, and I hope Cigar City makes this a seasonal offering. Delicious!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Copper mixed with a yellow orange colored bodied. The head was substantial and white and it faded quickly but left a good lace.

S - Great balance of piney and citrus hops. The Smeel lends itself to vanilla and oak on the back end as well.

T & M & D - A huge cirtus and piney hop bomb in the front that opens to great malt sweetness. The sweetness in the middle opens itself to vanilla. Then a great oak profile comes in and brings together the complexity of the taste. Great smooth medium bodied mouthfeel that coats the palate. Very drinkable.

O - An awesome oak aged IPA that has complex flavors and is incredibly drinkable. Love it

- Cheers

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Got this bottle in a trade with mondegreen. 12oz bottle poured into a C&B Bruges snifter.

A - Pours a hazy orange with a a huge foamy off white, bone color head with great retention and lacing.

S - The aroma is really unusual. The white oak is hugely dominant. There is some sweet fruitiness that i cant identify. I am not really smelling any hops or citrus as others have noted. I'm mostly smelling white oak, and in all fairness, i really enjoy the aroma.

T - The taste is just as unusual as the smell, however in this category i am tasting the great hops which make this the IPA that it is. The flavor starts of with some great pine resin and slightly grassy hop flavors. The middle is slightly malty, but the finish, is where this beer separates it from the others in the category. The oakiness is truly spectacular. Its dominant in a great way. It dominates the aftertaste profile, but it blends very well in this style.

M - The beer is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D - This is a very drinkable and enjoyable IPA, that is really different. I wish i could buy this in California. It actually really reminds me of my first home brewed beer, a RR Blind Pig clone recipe which was aged on white oak. At the time i thought the beer was off, but as it aged, it became very good and the oakiness was very similar. I think i should try that recipe again.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Pours a light amber-orange with a good finger of white head lasting for a while.

S: Wonderful citrus hop aroma. Vanilla and just a hint of orange. Light caramel malt and Oak

T: Sweet vanilla followed by orange then some oak. Mellow hop finish. As I drink this, more flavors come out. I would like a little less oak in the finish

M: Slightly sticky. Nice carbonation

D: Wish I had a case. I was a wine guy long before a beer guy so I really enjoy the use of oak.

Big thanks to Thorpe for this treat.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A – Poured out a cloudy butterscotch color. Small bubbly white head that receded quickly and settles down. Spotty lacing all down the glass.

S - Light citrusy smell almost has floral qualities. Pine and grass.

T – Hops baby. Oak taste is there but not huge. Has a caramel sweetness. Popcorn flavors. Piney like the smell. Very nice citrus notes finish this. Grapefruit all over the place. Lot of flavors working together.

M – Lively carbonation. Tingly on the tongue. Drying at the end. Medium bodied.

O – Really nice oak aged brew here. Love the regular version of this one and the oak aged is just as solid. Great flavor. I could knock off a growler of this sitting on a boat somewhere everyday.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

I am very lucky to have two uncles who live about twenty minutes away from Cigar City and they happened to be coming home to Cleveland and surprised me with a growler of this beer! I told them that I love stouts and IPA's so I was very happy when they pulled this out of the cooler!

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter to find a nice golden amber body with a nice one inch white head. The aroma was prominent with the citrus and oak with hints of the hops.

The taste is excellent, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Oak Aged IPA that I have ever had and I was very surprised. The citrus notes hit you first with some malts in the middle and hints of the oak at the end. This is another example of several different flavor profiles blended together so well. There is also some nice hints of sweetness in there that leave you wanting to drink more. This medium body beer was easy to drink and I easily put down the mini 32oz growler with ease.

Overall a great IPA and I really enjoyed sitting on the deck tonight enjoying this beer and I hope with my uncle living in the area that I get more great beers from Cigar City every time he comes home!

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

A: Very hazy deep orange amber in color. Forms a nice looking, stable, almost light tan colored head that leaves some moderate lacing.

S: Citrus mixed with oak and vanilla. Reminiscent of lemon meringue pie.

T: Lightly sweet pale malt on the front end that moves to a moderate bitterness with flavors of vanilla, oak, and pine. Lots of wood and a surprising amount of vanilla as well.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. A bit prickly as well.

O: Regular Jai Alai was a deeply uninspiring beer, but this one, like the Humidor variant, is a vast improvement over the original. One wouldn't expect the odd blend of flavors to work so well, but this beer manages to do so.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Nice looking beer. A nice gradient from blonde to almost an amber when put to light. 1/2 finger head, dissipates into a layer.

S- Smells like an aged IPA...yeah the malt overtaking the hops and I am not one to say that aged IPAs are barleywines, but it smells kinda like a barleywine.

T- Oh wow, the oak. I mean I gotta give credit on the purity of that oak flavor, oaked wines don't hold the flavor this well and it really blends well with the IPA base here. Really pleasant, warm. This is coming from a hop head who wants IPAs fresh off the bottling line. Has like a medicinal finish, not unpleasant tho. I am very impressed. Glad I opened this on Christmas eve.

M- Smooth with a nice crisp finishing note.

O- Really impressed, especially considering I wasn't impressed by Jai Alai itself.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

White oak Aged Jai Alai pours a slightly cloudy tangerine amber with a smallish white head falling rather quickly and leaving a slippery film with light froth as lacing.

The aroma is one of the more distinctive beer scents I've run across. Strong citrus hop scents are nearly muted by a heavy woody and herbal scent from the white oak. If I hadn't read the description first I would have had a time running down the fresh herb scent and damned if it isn't fresh chopped dill along with a background of vanilla and freshly baked bread. Pretty amazing aroma actually.

Wow, this is Jai Alai Plus, fresh juicy citrussy hops as expected from Jai Alai and the Plus is the flavor added by the aging on white oak, an astringent woody flavor with the prevalent note of vanilla and a hint of tobacco. The fresh bready malts back up the hops and woody tones while the astringency lends an extra touch of dryness on the decidedly bitter finish. The white oak noted are among the strongest I've run across before and could easily be overpowering but I think a tight-rope act of balancing was achieved here by the brewers at Cigar City.

The mouthfeel is smooth and firm but manages to stay on the lighter side of medium in heaviness. Carbonation is moderate and lightly biting on the tongue.

A very pleasant and enjoyable take on Jai Alai that I enjoyed.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks to Kiefdog for this awesome extra!

Pours a cloudy gold with a thin head.

A very woody aroma. Getting hints of coconut, pine and butterscotch.

Oakiness is dominant in this IPA. Sweet malts are not to be overshadowed and I'm really digging the butterscotch flavor that this has. This is sweet and bitter... good balance.

Medium carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. This is a winner! For a brewery with such oddball concoctions... this one really strikes a chord with me. Kudos!

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Big thanks to Blazer06 for this awesome extra.

12oz. Brown bottle poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a copper tinted firy orange. Decent sized head on the pour and it still holds for a bit even with the oak aging. Good lacing.

S: lots of tropical fruits with pineapple and papaya in the front with mango and some other citrus backing it up. Plenty of spicy oak... Almost cedar like spiciness. Herbal and maybe even a touch of pepper.

T/M: Not a lot of bitterness left but understandable and not extremely off putting. More of the tropical fruits and citrus with more of the pineapple/papaya/mango tastiness. Very balanced oaking, very tasty with the herbal and spiciness notes. Body is medium to medium light with smooth carbonation.

D: Very tasty and drinkable beer and interesting at the same time.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer!

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

The beer offers tons of dill on the aroma, earthy hops, grapefruit, bready malt.

The flavor follows with some grapefruit, lots of dill, oak, green qualities, slightly spicy, lots of bready sweet malt, and a spicy dry bitter finish.

The beer is interesting and solid, but a slight novelty compared the fresh flavors of the original.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing