Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Ratings: 1,644 | Reviews: 372
4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A - Copper mixed with a yellow orange colored bodied. The head was substantial and white and it faded quickly but left a good lace.

S - Great balance of piney and citrus hops. The Smeel lends itself to vanilla and oak on the back end as well.

T & M & D - A huge cirtus and piney hop bomb in the front that opens to great malt sweetness. The sweetness in the middle opens itself to vanilla. Then a great oak profile comes in and brings together the complexity of the taste. Great smooth medium bodied mouthfeel that coats the palate. Very drinkable.

O - An awesome oak aged IPA that has complex flavors and is incredibly drinkable. Love it

- Cheers

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Got this bottle in a trade with mondegreen. 12oz bottle poured into a C&B Bruges snifter.

A - Pours a hazy orange with a a huge foamy off white, bone color head with great retention and lacing.

S - The aroma is really unusual. The white oak is hugely dominant. There is some sweet fruitiness that i cant identify. I am not really smelling any hops or citrus as others have noted. I'm mostly smelling white oak, and in all fairness, i really enjoy the aroma.

T - The taste is just as unusual as the smell, however in this category i am tasting the great hops which make this the IPA that it is. The flavor starts of with some great pine resin and slightly grassy hop flavors. The middle is slightly malty, but the finish, is where this beer separates it from the others in the category. The oakiness is truly spectacular. Its dominant in a great way. It dominates the aftertaste profile, but it blends very well in this style.

M - The beer is medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D - This is a very drinkable and enjoyable IPA, that is really different. I wish i could buy this in California. It actually really reminds me of my first home brewed beer, a RR Blind Pig clone recipe which was aged on white oak. At the time i thought the beer was off, but as it aged, it became very good and the oakiness was very similar. I think i should try that recipe again.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Pours a light amber-orange with a good finger of white head lasting for a while.

S: Wonderful citrus hop aroma. Vanilla and just a hint of orange. Light caramel malt and Oak

T: Sweet vanilla followed by orange then some oak. Mellow hop finish. As I drink this, more flavors come out. I would like a little less oak in the finish

M: Slightly sticky. Nice carbonation

D: Wish I had a case. I was a wine guy long before a beer guy so I really enjoy the use of oak.

Big thanks to Thorpe for this treat.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip.

A – Poured out a cloudy butterscotch color. Small bubbly white head that receded quickly and settles down. Spotty lacing all down the glass.

S - Light citrusy smell almost has floral qualities. Pine and grass.

T – Hops baby. Oak taste is there but not huge. Has a caramel sweetness. Popcorn flavors. Piney like the smell. Very nice citrus notes finish this. Grapefruit all over the place. Lot of flavors working together.

M – Lively carbonation. Tingly on the tongue. Drying at the end. Medium bodied.

O – Really nice oak aged brew here. Love the regular version of this one and the oak aged is just as solid. Great flavor. I could knock off a growler of this sitting on a boat somewhere everyday.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

I am very lucky to have two uncles who live about twenty minutes away from Cigar City and they happened to be coming home to Cleveland and surprised me with a growler of this beer! I told them that I love stouts and IPA's so I was very happy when they pulled this out of the cooler!

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter to find a nice golden amber body with a nice one inch white head. The aroma was prominent with the citrus and oak with hints of the hops.

The taste is excellent, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Oak Aged IPA that I have ever had and I was very surprised. The citrus notes hit you first with some malts in the middle and hints of the oak at the end. This is another example of several different flavor profiles blended together so well. There is also some nice hints of sweetness in there that leave you wanting to drink more. This medium body beer was easy to drink and I easily put down the mini 32oz growler with ease.

Overall a great IPA and I really enjoyed sitting on the deck tonight enjoying this beer and I hope with my uncle living in the area that I get more great beers from Cigar City every time he comes home!

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Very hazy deep orange amber in color. Forms a nice looking, stable, almost light tan colored head that leaves some moderate lacing.

S: Citrus mixed with oak and vanilla. Reminiscent of lemon meringue pie.

T: Lightly sweet pale malt on the front end that moves to a moderate bitterness with flavors of vanilla, oak, and pine. Lots of wood and a surprising amount of vanilla as well.

M: Medium in body with appropriate carbonation. A bit prickly as well.

O: Regular Jai Alai was a deeply uninspiring beer, but this one, like the Humidor variant, is a vast improvement over the original. One wouldn't expect the odd blend of flavors to work so well, but this beer manages to do so.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Nice looking beer. A nice gradient from blonde to almost an amber when put to light. 1/2 finger head, dissipates into a layer.

S- Smells like an aged IPA...yeah the malt overtaking the hops and I am not one to say that aged IPAs are barleywines, but it smells kinda like a barleywine.

T- Oh wow, the oak. I mean I gotta give credit on the purity of that oak flavor, oaked wines don't hold the flavor this well and it really blends well with the IPA base here. Really pleasant, warm. This is coming from a hop head who wants IPAs fresh off the bottling line. Has like a medicinal finish, not unpleasant tho. I am very impressed. Glad I opened this on Christmas eve.

M- Smooth with a nice crisp finishing note.

O- Really impressed, especially considering I wasn't impressed by Jai Alai itself.

4.21/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

White oak Aged Jai Alai pours a slightly cloudy tangerine amber with a smallish white head falling rather quickly and leaving a slippery film with light froth as lacing.

The aroma is one of the more distinctive beer scents I've run across. Strong citrus hop scents are nearly muted by a heavy woody and herbal scent from the white oak. If I hadn't read the description first I would have had a time running down the fresh herb scent and damned if it isn't fresh chopped dill along with a background of vanilla and freshly baked bread. Pretty amazing aroma actually.

Wow, this is Jai Alai Plus, fresh juicy citrussy hops as expected from Jai Alai and the Plus is the flavor added by the aging on white oak, an astringent woody flavor with the prevalent note of vanilla and a hint of tobacco. The fresh bready malts back up the hops and woody tones while the astringency lends an extra touch of dryness on the decidedly bitter finish. The white oak noted are among the strongest I've run across before and could easily be overpowering but I think a tight-rope act of balancing was achieved here by the brewers at Cigar City.

The mouthfeel is smooth and firm but manages to stay on the lighter side of medium in heaviness. Carbonation is moderate and lightly biting on the tongue.

A very pleasant and enjoyable take on Jai Alai that I enjoyed.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to Kiefdog for this awesome extra!

Pours a cloudy gold with a thin head.

A very woody aroma. Getting hints of coconut, pine and butterscotch.

Oakiness is dominant in this IPA. Sweet malts are not to be overshadowed and I'm really digging the butterscotch flavor that this has. This is sweet and bitter... good balance.

Medium carbonation and a creamy mouthfeel. This is a winner! For a brewery with such oddball concoctions... this one really strikes a chord with me. Kudos!

4.22/5  rDev 0%

Big thanks to Blazer06 for this awesome extra.

12oz. Brown bottle poured into an imperial pint.

A: Pours a copper tinted firy orange. Decent sized head on the pour and it still holds for a bit even with the oak aging. Good lacing.

S: lots of tropical fruits with pineapple and papaya in the front with mango and some other citrus backing it up. Plenty of spicy oak... Almost cedar like spiciness. Herbal and maybe even a touch of pepper.

T/M: Not a lot of bitterness left but understandable and not extremely off putting. More of the tropical fruits and citrus with more of the pineapple/papaya/mango tastiness. Very balanced oaking, very tasty with the herbal and spiciness notes. Body is medium to medium light with smooth carbonation.

D: Very tasty and drinkable beer and interesting at the same time.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer!

4.22/5  rDev 0%

The beer offers tons of dill on the aroma, earthy hops, grapefruit, bready malt.

The flavor follows with some grapefruit, lots of dill, oak, green qualities, slightly spicy, lots of bready sweet malt, and a spicy dry bitter finish.

The beer is interesting and solid, but a slight novelty compared the fresh flavors of the original.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

A bottle on IPA Day 2011. A big thanks to whomever provided this bottle.

A - Poured a hazy, burnt orange body with a creamy, white, two finger head...the head fell to a full cap and showed some nice lacing

S - Nothing but a big dose of fresh, white oak...the hops are there but they are a bit muted and taken over by the oak...there's not much sweetness to the nose

T - Again, the oak reigns supreme on the palate...it never fades from the nose...speaking of fading, I believe the hops are faded a bit...there is a tiny bit of underlying grapefruit providing a slight bitterness towards the end of the beer...the sweetness is at a minimal level...as I said, there is a minimal hop bitterness at the end combining with a bright oak flavor

M - Medium bodied...the oak dries out the palate leaving a fresh feeling

O - This was one of the best IPA's I had on IPA Day...I feel this one had been sitting for a while since the hops were faded and the oak was big...I like that the oak was a brighter flavor than normal...it really added a nice profile to the beer

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Holy vanilla Batman.
Thanks to Abriggs1.

Pours a light tan with a light head, leaves some lacing as it goes.

Smell is vanilla oak, almost too much vanilla for this much oak.

Taste strong vanilla, some sweetness and oakiness, get that hop bitterness at the end, a vanilla oaky citrus overall.

Something doesn't feel right on the mouthfeel, just a little too lite for me.

Overall I love this beer, would I go for two in a session? No way. I would have more over time? Oh yeah.

Highly recommended

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had several of these on a recent trip to Tampa and really liked what the white oak aging did to this beer. Review of a can (1/10/14)
A-Poured into a widemouth glass there is a finger of white rocky head on top of that common IPA appearance of a clear light orange brew. Sticky head.

S-The grassy, piney notes of Jai Alai are more subdued and the tropical fruit aroma is more prevalent with the addition of vanilla and a definite oak aroma. Very nice. Definitely preferred over Jai Alai.

T-The oak aging really adds a unique flavor profile to this beer. It is sweet, the malt in Jai Alai is sweet but now the hops are also sweet. I get lots of pineapple and some apple and cherry on top of the significant vanilla oak character. Really unique beer. Shit even some orange. Lots of good flavors going on.

M-Less bitterness and drier than Jai Alai, a big improvement for someone who is sensitive to the real bitter IPAs. I really like the taste profile of this beer. Oaked IPAs-nice idea!

O-I really am liking this beer. The oak really mellow out the bitter quality, adds some new flavors and cleans up the finish.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic aroma - a great blend of barrel and dank hoppiness. Oaky vanilla and coconut come out strongly - great organic woodiness. The citrus and pine comes through and really blend well with the oak. The taste is more bitter than the nose suggesteed with grapefruit being the prominent flavor. The oak is very smooth - vanilla.

Awesome oak aged IPA - takes the base up a notch

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%

Finishing up my last one. poured into a Duvel Tulip.

a:decent off-white head with pretty good retention. reddish amber body. some lacing

s: this is why i put it in the tulip. when i was at the brewery, they opened up and threw down 4 of these bottles on the crate. little did i know of the surprise that was in store: i took a sniff and i was blown away! it was only then did i notice that it was the white oak aged jai alai. so glad that i was exposed to it cause i didn't even notice it was on sale either and probably would've bypassed it completely. i really could smell this all day. if it was a shampoo, i would make sure my gf used this constantly. the white oak completely takes the nose to the next level, it starts with the hop cirtus sweetness and notches it all the way up to pineapple as well as giving it a bit of a coconut-y and vanilla vibe. as SpeedwayJim mentioned, it's like a pina coloda... with a few trees around. not the most complex but just very pleasant.

t:sugary sweet with sweet fruits and citrus. a bit of piney hop bitterness lingering on the back. doesn't quite live up to the nose but still very nice. The White Oak certainly kicks the hops down a notch, which could be bad as it is an IPA and that's what most are looking for.

m: moderate carbonation, medium body. as expected for an ipa aged on oak.

d: very tasty but u cant really drink too many of these i think. not really a session as much as a special treat.

the fact that i first had this while in the cigar city brewery and that it was so unexpected may have bumped this a bit higher, but i really enjoyed the few, really fresh bottles i had of this.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got a can of Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA - White Oak that my friend brought back from his tip to the brewery, thanks Ben! I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile and I'm expecting good things since the base IPA is damn good, so lets see how it goes. Canned 5/13/14. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks nice. it's a little similar looking to the base IPA's can, but this one has a oak tree like background that helps make it look different, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice darker orange color that took on more of an amber orange color when held to the light and it had about two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the white oak being the first to show up and it imparts some nice woody, oak, and vanilla like aromas with the vanilla seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes those fruity hops which blend well with the oak and they impart a nice citrus and tropical fruit like aroma some citrus zest and pineapple aromas seeming to stick out the most. Towards the ends comes the malts which are on the lighter side and it imparts just a sweet malt like aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, the white oak worked well with the juicy and fruity hops from the base IPA.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up this time they impart that same fruity and juicy hop profile from the aroma with the citrus rinds and pineapple still sticking out the most. Up next comes a slightly malty flavor with sweet malts sticking out the most and it's followed by the white oak which imparts the same nice aspects that it did in the aroma with the vanilla and oak seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a fruity hop, oak and vanilla like flavors in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, I thought the white oak worked nicely with the juicy and fruity hop flavors.

M- Smooth, clean, a little refreshing, a little crisp, medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked well this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of a wood aged IPA, the oak seems to show up at just the right level and while the hops weren't as juicy as they were in the base IPA, but they still worked well with the oak and they made for a good combination. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little refreshing, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these and it seems like a good beer to have for a summer bonfire. What i like the most about this beer was how the white oak worked with the juicy and fruity hops, they were a better combination then I thought they would be. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I could think of to make this beer better, it's really nice just the way it is. I would buy this beer if i ever had the chance and I would recommend this to anyone one who thinks a white oak IPA sounds good, I think it will meet most expectations. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, i think prefer the regular version of Jai Alai, but this one is still very nice and it retained a good amount of those great hoppy aspects that the base beer had. It's not my favorite Cigar City beer, but it's for sure one of my favorite oaked IPAs and I'm glad I had a chance to try it. Great job guys, this was one unique and interesting beer, keep up the great work.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to sendsilk for this.

I'm not into re-reviewing beers on here anymore, but I hated to drop a full review for an updated "had" so here we are...

As Cigar City expands, all of their product is looking much better, tasting cleaner, etc. I feel like this beer is either dialed in moreso than my 3.7 review of years back, or else it's simply much better extremely fresh (these cans are under 20 days old as of my drinking).

Lovely clarity and bone white head on a light copper colored brew. Leaves nice lacing.

Smells wonderful yet cheeky at the same time. The oak is prevalent off the bat, very heavy notes of fresh cut wood (one person I shared this with said it reminded them of wood shop in High School). There are notes of vanilla and a lot of floral character from the oak. The hops are fruity and bold, but the interaction with the oak is where the beer gets quite unique. At times the aroma is of fresh juicy tropical hops, and at others you can smell bubblegum and smarties.

The flavor follows in line with immense hop flavor and heavy but welcome oak. The bitterness is somewhat mellowed by the oak yet the perceived alcohol seems higher than regular Jai Alai.

Creamy mouthfeel with ample carbonation. Overall a great take on their flagship IPA. Recommended.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light bronze in color with minimal head thT dissipates to a fine lace after a few sips. Nose shows a bit of fruity sweetness with subtle hop notes. Taste is citrusy, maybe fruity pebbles, with a surprising lack of wood flavor. However the wood manifests itself with a dry finish. Very refreshing and drinkable.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at BX Beer Depot's CCB Tap Takeover - looking forward to this one

Really different than Jai Alai and Cedar Jai Alai. Citrus (orange, orange marmalade) and jam flavors. Unique. Mellow and lacking bitterness. Slight herbal spice to it. Dry dry dry with an oak finish.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Canned 9/9/2014. Poured into Spieglau IPA glass.

Opaque orange in color with one finger of white head. Good retention and lacing. Citrus on the nose plus tropical fruits. Very similar to Jai Alai. Good mouth feel with fairly light carbonation. Taste is sweet citrus, orange/tangerine. Maybe pineapple and mango, hint of lime. Bitterness muted by vanilla and wood (but not smoke). Very smooth finish. Liked it better than "regular" Jai Alai!

12oz btl served in a Stella glass

A: Initial pour results in a glass half filled hazy golden orange liquid and the other half with fluffy luxurious cream colored head. Head dissipates into rocky formations as I try to fit the rest of the beer into the glass.

S: Very unique. Soft vanilla aroma. Honey drenched herbal hop scents. Picking up a little fresh mint. Sugary and spicy. The smell is like no IPA I've ever encountered and its tremendous, certainly not typical, but amazing nonetheless.

T: Mirrors scent in a lot of ways. It is clear that Jai Alai is the base beer, but the white oak treatment has made it much better than the original IMHO. Sweet vanilla and woody flavors accentuate some of the strong qualities of the standard brew. Hops are slightly subdued but some citrus, herbal, and spicy notes are present. Sweet fruity flavors are abundant. The finish is very neutral, with a balance between sweet and dry.

M: Has a coating feel. Carbonation is good.

D: I wish I had another bottle or two. This is a unique beer that will hold one's interest.

Enjoyed this much more than the standard Jai Alai. Looking forward to trying other versions.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance - Gorgeous amber orange body, that is kind of cloudy. Pours a nice 2 finger light cream colored head with great retention and a thick/uniformed lacing all the way down the glass Small bubbles are visible rising up from the bottom of the glass.

Smell - Extremely floral smell with a lot of citrus in the nose as well. Some kind of fruit that I can't quite narrow down, I'm leaning towards mango, a little bit of spice to round it all out. Overall sweet nose with very little hop aroma.

Taste - Extremely bright/crisp flavor that starts with a rather sweet fruity taste that transitions almost effortlessly to a more bitter and lingering mixture of sweet malts and a very subtle oak flavor.

Mouthfeel - highly carbonated ale that is also rather thick in consistency. A little more carbonation than I generally like in my IPAs, but it works well with the sweetness of this brew.

Overall - A friend of mine recommend this beer to me and I have to say I am thoroughly impressed with every aspect of it. From the gorgeous head that lingers until the last sip to the sweet citrus taste that had me sipping this beer extremely quickly just to narrow down each and every flavor of this wonderful beer.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Delicious beer. Smooth oaky jai alai with notes of vanilla and dill. Where can you go wrong?

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing