Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

06-07-2013 19:18:49 | More by BMart
jmarsh123

Indiana

3.28/5  rDev -22.1%

I think this is another from the BIF package from djmichaelk. The gift that keeps on giving.

Fairly gentle pour ends up with half of glass of foam. Nice cloudy gold/orange color with mentioned massive head.

Slight citrus smell, but really the oak dominates the nose.

Starts off with a slightly pleasant citrus. Again almost immediately the oak overpowers everything else. Finishes with a huge woody flavor. A little more complexity came out as it warmed a bit. The oak was still heavily presence, but allowed more other flavors to come through as well.

Good mouthfeel and carb.

I'm beginning to think IPA's don't lend themselves very well to oak. The oak overpowers most of the good IPA flavors in this one although as noted it became a much better beer as it warmed.

11-16-2011 00:17:02 | More by jmarsh123
dmgallag

3.3/5  rDev -21.6%

A - light IPA in appearance. Looks light and refreshing in glass.

S - Hop city here with a dash of sweaty old gym sock. Funk Town, USA.

T - kind of disappointing. This is a workout. Albeit, I am not a serious hophead, I do appreciate a good IPA. This thing is a workout. Seriously bitter, I don't see that the oak age mellowed this guy out too much. Lots of bite, I can't see doing more than two of these in a day. If bitter hop taste is your thing, go for it.

M - nothing to see here. Not very memorable.

O - picked this up because I am visiting family in the Tampa area and I had heard positive buzz about cigar city and this beer. I'll pass on this one if I see it again.

06-28-2014 19:18:11 | More by dmgallag
corby112

3.35/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle courtesy of PALMEJ1. Thanks again Jacob!

Pours a hazy dark golden orange/copper color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source and a frothy two finger yellowish beige head. Good retention, slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with chunks of soapy lacing.

The aroma of this beer is kind of odd with a blend of toasted oak, earthy hops and a buttery malt backbone. I'm not picking up much of the citrus and pine hop presence f the base beer. Those notes are only faint under the barrel character and the nose s dominated by oak and malt. Hints of caramel, wood, toffee, biscuit and butter.

Medium bodied with more of a hop forward presence than the aroma suggests. Dry and bitter with lots of resinous, earthy pine flavor. The white oak presence is very prominent adding more dryness and a toasted wood flavor that takes away from the sweeter tropical/citrus notes of the base beer. As a result, the malt backbone is stronger with hints of toffee, caramel and biscuit. The ABV is well masked making this beer pretty quaffable but t could use some more balance.

Overall, this was an interesting beer and the white oak barrel really changes the base beer, but it could use a bit of sweetness to balance things out.

04-05-2011 06:31:01 | More by corby112
russwbeck

3.38/5  rDev -19.7%

Thank you jcartamdg for this, along with the wonderful vessel I'm drinking it out of!

A: Small white head rests on a hazy orange pour, but lacks the retention Jai Alai IPA obtains. A nice ring forms along the rims of my brand new Cigar City snifter.

S: Big vanilla smell on this one, lots of oak mixed in. Missing a bit of the piney hops.

T: As with the smell, missing the hops here. Grapefruit, and some maltiness, mix with an oakiness and some vanilla towards the end. Really way more malt forward than I expected.

MF: Finish is dry, carbonation is low.

D: Not on the level of Jai Alai, good experiment, but I'd take the original any day.

03-07-2011 04:59:19 | More by russwbeck
brew3crew

3.4/5  rDev -19.2%

A-hazy orange with white head that sticks around for awhile.
S-almost smells like white cheddar cheese its. Must be the white oak
T-get a lot of the wood compared to the hops. Wood really over powers it.
M-medium body and very dry
O-OK at best. Oo much wood

03-26-2011 00:51:55 | More by brew3crew
harrymel

Washington

3.43/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 14JUL11

A: pours an apricot ale with a full finger of maple foam which falls slowly to a quilt of the same. Sheets of lace. Slightly hazy.

S: So, I've heard there are coconut/pina colada notes in this beer. Never believed it....Turns out, they were right. Nice woody character with pineapple and a slight follow through of dry coconut shavings. Pretty cool.

T: Sweet and dry. Some citrus and more sharp pineapple with a resiny midsection and a dry biscuity malt profile lends itself well to the dominant bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with hi carbonation and a dry finish. Would like a bit of a slick on the palate to work with here.

O: A good beer, but the more I drink this, the more I think I prefer the O.G. in this unit. I like how the oak has added the unusual suspect of coconut and dry woodiness (which I found less so in the original). The mouthfeel is off on this for me: needs lower carb and something to resonate the finish off.

09-20-2011 15:52:00 | More by harrymel
chinchill

South Carolina

3.44/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

2012 bottle served in a pint glass.
The aroma is dominated by fruity hops, with notes of tangerine and orange, as well as oak. The oak becomes even more prominent in the flavor. Too much oak IMO. At least the oak aging has the benefit of creating a very smooth feel in this medium-bodied IPA. Moderately bitter but has an overly earthy/woody aftertaste.

O: quite woody IPA. I much prefer the regular Jai Alai.

01-19-2013 02:56:58 | More by chinchill
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.48/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Received this "new to me" bottle from a fantastic trade with ohsaycanyoubeer. Big props Matthew!!

Poured into my HotD goblet.. hazed orange with a nice white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Nose is oak, light toasty malt and lighter caramel, and a big sorta tangerine hoppiness.

Big and oaky.. pithy citrus zest.. a bit of vanilla for sure.. malts come out swinging but get carried away by the other flavors.. finishes with a fermented out toasty maltiness and a dry oak quality.

Body is big for a standard IPA.. but I generally get that from CC IPA's.

Nicely done... I would buy this pretty regularly if I had it available.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.25/3.5

Thanks again Matthew!!

02-22-2013 05:58:56 | More by JohnGalt1
IrishTed122

12 oz bottle, poured into pint glass

Appearance: Orange-like gold, not perfectly clear but just a tiny bit cloudy, good amount of an off-white head.

Smell: Very unique. I get like a coconut somehow. It smells tropical but there is something there that gives it a bit of funk too. Can't tell what it is. Not too much of a traditional hop smell. Maybe a bit of a buttery smell in there? To be honest, it's not very appealing.

Taste: It tastes better than the smell, but you are overwhelmed a bit by the tropical flavors. You get hit with the hops at first but the fade away as the other flavors take over. Honestly, I think this is one of those IPAs where the aging on wood didn't help. The normal IPA couldn't hold up to the additional flavors added from the wood. It's not bad, but it's just not something I would seek out.

Overall: I know some people rave about this. To each his own. It's not for me. I'd rather have a good normal IPA.

09-17-2011 00:24:06 | More by IrishTed122
olfolxholme

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip

A - Strange looking sediment in the bottle - way more than expected or than I've ever seen. Was a really distracting image in the back of my mind while I watched a small amount of sediment settle in my glass even though I poured carefully. The beer is a burning orange color with white head. Quite a bit of lacing, some patches of head retention.

S - Sharp oaky vanilla dominates classic citrusy American hop aromas. Behind that, earthy aroma.

T - Some pale malt mixed with a smoother version of the aroma. The woody oak really dominates, and the IPA allows for this nicely.

M - Crisp and dry. Not harsh, but not a thirst quencher. Puckering.

O - I rinsed out the bottle right after pouring the beer and was really disturbed by the sediment that came out of it. I know that this is not always a sign of deathbeer. I like pouring all the yeast into my weissbiers and witbiers. But. Still, I approached the beer with some trepidation. It was interesting and not bad at all. Not sure it is one that I would go out of my way to have again, but i wouldn't turn it down. It was nice to drink a lighter beer with the oak flavors present. Most of the oak aged beers I've had are DARK. If you have a chance, give it a shot. I'm grateful I was able to try it.

05-15-2012 03:15:17 | More by olfolxholme
gueuzedreg

Colorado

3.49/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- dark honey hue in coor, with lots of head, medium retention.

S- Oak with some citrus qualities of Jai Alai. Grapefruit, lemon other tropical fruits.

T- The oak thing throws me off. I like reg better.

M- Best part of the brew. Has a creamy texture. Medium carb

O- I would take reg any day over this

03-22-2014 00:02:21 | More by gueuzedreg

05-12-2013 20:05:03 | More by roostor07
mdaschaf

Washington

Review from notes.

A: Pours a very hazy orange/peach color with a small white head on top. Decent retention and some lacing, but nothing really special.

S: Slightly hoppy, but not as much as regular jai alai. There is a little bit of apple and a little bit of wood. There is some toffee on the back end.

T: Kind of muted, a decent amount of woody oak, some caramel and toffee. A bit of citrus/orange and vanilla round it out, but the citrus level is relatively low.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not bad, but I prefer the unoaked version more. The oak seemed to mute some of the hops a bit.

09-16-2011 19:04:13 | More by mdaschaf

DLSheidy

04-12-2014 02:46:54 | More by DLSheidy
cbutova

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Thanks Kimmy for hooking me up with this.

A- For the purpose of the review, poured from the 12oz can to a small tumbler glass. The body is a orange-dark gold and pretty much clear of any haze. Small white cap forms to about one finger with decent retention. Thick lace sheets at the top and it seemingly coats a majority of the whole glass.

S- Tropical and citrus hops off the top but not quite as pungent as I remember Jai Alai being, just a bit restrained aromatically. Tangerine, mango, oranges and floral notes come to mind. Hints of oak wood, light caramel sweets and some yeast fruits.

T- Oak really comes out in the taste. It is hard to describe as anything other than lightly toasted, fresh woody oak flavor. Slight vanilla but mostly the woody earthy oak feel. Hops are still the main flavor component with notes of tangerines, stone fruits, citrus zest, grapefruit, floral and slight pine. Slight tannins. Malts are here in a light strength with caramel and some sweetness.

MF- Light bodied and crisp IPA feel. Carbonation at a moderately high level helping those hop flavors pop on the taste buds. Finishes with a medium bitterness lingering on the palate.

I am not sure how much the oak flavor and slight vanilla sweetness does for me here. I think I prefer the normal Jai Alai to this one but that is not to say this is much worse. I think the oak is a bit abrasive at times and maybe a bit too much is used. Still a solid beer I would have again.

02-20-2014 02:49:06 | More by cbutova