Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)

Hoppin_mad, May 03, 2014

Mark_Robinson, May 03, 2014

fthegiants, May 02, 2014

blabaer, May 02, 2014

stogirelli, May 01, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -7.8%

A- clear amber with fine particles in suspension. Creamy light tan head with excellent lacing.

S- tropical, lots of pineapple and some mango. Light peach notes as well with a hint of fresh cut timber.

T- I get more stone fruit than anything else on the palate, peach, apricot, and a light and fresh grapefruit finish. I can't say that I taste much in the way of oak. It's a pretty stellar tasting IPA though.

M- medium bodied, light carbonation. A little astringent.

O- great, but not a whole lot of oak in there.

silverking, Apr 30, 2014

anson42, Apr 24, 2014

terence, Apr 23, 2014

ronn, Apr 22, 2014
4.18/5  rDev -0.7%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer!

woodychandler, Apr 20, 2014