Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 359 | Hads: 1,651
4.41/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

We pop some cans, pouring into our Great Lakes pint glasses. It glows the color of a tropical sunset with a surprising amount of sediment throughout. The stark white head stands two fingers tall, and retains nicely. The nose is both sweet and spiced, with prominent and clean oak barreling, soured lemony, citric, and earthy hops, and a sweet, toasty pale malt base. Fresh honeys, tropical fruitiness of pineapple and papaya, and juicy peach flesh add a palpable sweetness to the nose. The flavor is quite souring to begin with, boasting strong oaked woodiness and fresh grassy and citric hops. Lemon zest comes through in the beginning, along with a sweeter, lightly toasted pale malt, and a slightly more robust caramel malt. Nectary white sugar sweetness hits the palate in the middle, striking nice balance between the more bittering oak. After the swallow, the taste hangs on with chalky and metallic yeastiness as well as some booze, and more of that sweet, warming, and musky white oak. The feel is creamy, entirely coating, and coaxes the mouth to warmth in a background of puckering dryness. The abv is easy, and the beer is gone before you know it.

Overall, this has been one of our most highly anticipated beers for a while. Jai Alai, as a base, is in contention for the juiciest IPA from this side of the country, so to take that powerhouse and engage it further, is something for myth and legend. The wood is musky, sweet, authentic, and unsoiled, adding a simple side to barreling that is not often seen. They do a great job of maintaining the basic beer here, and not using the added element to overpower the things that make this guy great. This is probably the best example of how to enhance an amazing beer that we’ve tried to date. They really put on a clinic. This is a game-changing, must-try if you can find it. (1,837 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I got a can of Cigar City's Jai Alai IPA - White Oak that my friend brought back from his tip to the brewery, thanks Ben! I've been wanting to try this beer for awhile and I'm expecting good things since the base IPA is damn good, so lets see how it goes. Canned 5/13/14. Poured from a 12oz can into a snifter.

A- The can looks nice. it's a little similar looking to the base IPA's can, but this one has a oak tree like background that helps make it look different, I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice darker orange color that took on more of an amber orange color when held to the light and it had about two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy rings of lacing. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the white oak being the first to show up and it imparts some nice woody, oak, and vanilla like aromas with the vanilla seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes those fruity hops which blend well with the oak and they impart a nice citrus and tropical fruit like aroma some citrus zest and pineapple aromas seeming to stick out the most. Towards the ends comes the malts which are on the lighter side and it imparts just a sweet malt like aroma. This beer had a very nice aroma, the white oak worked well with the juicy and fruity hops from the base IPA.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up this time they impart that same fruity and juicy hop profile from the aroma with the citrus rinds and pineapple still sticking out the most. Up next comes a slightly malty flavor with sweet malts sticking out the most and it's followed by the white oak which imparts the same nice aspects that it did in the aroma with the vanilla and oak seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a fruity hop, oak and vanilla like flavors in the aftertaste. This was a very nice tasting beer, I thought the white oak worked nicely with the juicy and fruity hop flavors.

M- Smooth, clean, a little refreshing, a little crisp, medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was very nice and it worked well this beer.

Overall I thought this was a very nice beer and I thought it was a very nice example of a wood aged IPA, the oak seems to show up at just the right level and while the hops weren't as juicy as they were in the base IPA, but they still worked well with the oak and they made for a good combination. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, clean, a little refreshing, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste did a good job at holding my attention, I could drink a few of these and it seems like a good beer to have for a summer bonfire. What i like the most about this beer was how the white oak worked with the juicy and fruity hops, they were a better combination then I thought they would be. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, there isn't anything that I could think of to make this beer better, it's really nice just the way it is. I would buy this beer if i ever had the chance and I would recommend this to anyone one who thinks a white oak IPA sounds good, I think it will meet most expectations. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, i think prefer the regular version of Jai Alai, but this one is still very nice and it retained a good amount of those great hoppy aspects that the base beer had. It's not my favorite Cigar City beer, but it's for sure one of my favorite oaked IPAs and I'm glad I had a chance to try it. Great job guys, this was one unique and interesting beer, keep up the great work. (3,863 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

Canned on date of 05/13/14

Appearance- Pours a clear golden amber with bits of yeast(?) sediment floating around and a big, off-white 2 finger head. great retention, resulting in a thin layer of surface suds and a thick film of lacing around the glass that holds quite nicely.

Smell - Sharp on the nose, hitting on tropical notes of pineapple, tangerine and mango offset by some oak and grape character. Vanilla creeps in as the brew warms.

Taste - Tropical notes as found in the aroma, mellowed by the woody oak character. Touches of coconut and red grape. Hints of vanilla. Finishes with more oak and coconut and a light citrus pith.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with fair, tingly carbonation. Super smooth, with a semi-dry finish.

Overall - Good, really good, but I prefer the original. If it ain't broke, don't fix it or, in this case, if it's one of the best IPAs in the World, don't touch it! Okay, maybe that's being too dramatic, but as good as this is, I'd never choose it over the OG Classic! (1,005 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

A-Semi cloudy orange, some carbonation, one finger head that tries to leave some lacing.

S-Oak, pine, grass, slight vanilla, not as tropical as the regular.

T-Nice grassy and oak notes, slight vanilla and some citrus notes, mild bitterness.

M-Medium boded, nice carbonation, some hop resins.

O-A good beer, but both aged Jai Alai were not as good as the regular. (366 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.8%

At first, I didn't like this as much as regular Jai Alai, but I've really come to appreciate the subtle vanilla notes and added complexity of this beer. Not necessarily better, but definitely different than the original. The beer trades big hop flavor for subtle depth with a slightly creamier mouthfeel. (306 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -5.1%

Had it previously on tap, and most recently in a can, which is what I use for this review.

Pours a nice foamy yellow beer. Heads is tall and stays for a while. Smell is a bit subdued. Not very hoppy, not very oaky. Taste is bitter, not extremely bitter. Hard to separate the oak from the hops. Mouthfeel was a bit thick. This beer was creamy, or thick.

The type of bitterness used was strange. I felt the bitterness rising to my nose, instead of going down my throat. Maybe too much oak? idk. (495 characters)

Poured from can into a tulip glass.

A - Dark amber with a creamy white head that eventually dissipates, leaving a thick lacing around the top of the glass

S - Sweet vanilla, caramel, followed by tropical fruit notes, maybe some coconut as well

T - Creamy, sweet vanilla and oak, with a dry pine finish

M - Medium body, smooth and crisp, really nice

O - I'm a fan. I actually may be in the minority here for thinking the oak aging and vanilla character enhance the characteristics of the base Jai Alai; I actually like this version much better for the vanilla notes it contains. Definitely an original flavor profile. (621 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Acquired in a trade with Beer4B. Copper and deep sunset orange some small floaties drifting here and there. One finger head is tight and off white but has below average retention, likely because of the oak aging and a medium amount of lacing.

Sweet caramel malts are somewhat spicy nd briefly dip into the candy sugar range melding perfectly with the oak. The white oak imparts vanilla and woody tannins. I get quite a bit more citrus from this one than the regular Jai Alai but the hops are a good mesh of pine and pink citrus. Complex notes of salted plum, licorice and dill.

Wow, now this is an oaked IPA with a capital O. Sweet caramel malt is a touch grainy with a spicy kick that surfaces in the finish. For the most part it is completely dominated by the woody tannins and vanilla of the oak aging. Hops are set to a neutral pine and herbal bitterness that is also dulled by the wood. Quite a bit happens in the finish, a drying feeling brings out a medium sharp bitterness with flavors of spicy rye, red fruit, pine and citrus.

Medium body with smooth carbonation, sits a bit lighter on the tongue with low alcohol. A real drying feel to the back end of this beer exudes bitterness and allow the hop flavors through.

Easily the best wood aged IPA I've had and a bench mark for future reference. The oaky tannins are almost over done in the flavor but there's so much else going on that I'm easily sidetracked. Complex and an absolute adventure in taste and aroma. Thanks Brandon for this gem. (1,506 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, some citrus. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some oak and citrus, not bad, but I prefer the traditional Jai Alai. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer, but I was just a bit underwhelmed. (351 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- clear amber with fine particles in suspension. Creamy light tan head with excellent lacing.

S- tropical, lots of pineapple and some mango. Light peach notes as well with a hint of fresh cut timber.

T- I get more stone fruit than anything else on the palate, peach, apricot, and a light and fresh grapefruit finish. I can't say that I taste much in the way of oak. It's a pretty stellar tasting IPA though.

M- medium bodied, light carbonation. A little astringent.

O- great, but not a whole lot of oak in there. (517 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer! (2,475 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

With the color of pink grapefruit, this IPA was already working it's way into unorthodox. The head was light and fizzy, sprite and alive.

The aroma held more surprises as an intense cocoa butter fills the nose. Shaved coconut can be found amongst the creamy sweetness along with a fragrant orange.

The sweetness is as unorthodox as the look as its like a grapefruit without the bitterness. Mid palate holds a stripe of orange flavor an then it ends with cocoa butter and apricot.

The feel is dry and smooth but never bitter.

White oak has really changed the personality of Jai Alai, and though it may not be better it definitely changes the norm and tastes good doing it. (675 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, canned sometime in Jan. '14. My first Cigar City brew, thrown in as an extra in my first IP trade...thanks Jeff!

Pours a hazy honey-colored orange. Smell is kind of offputting: funky and oaky citrus and pine; maybe some cedar; pink grapefruit; sweet and malty. I like all those aromas, but together, in this beer, they aren't working for me. Tastes great, however: very oaky, nice hints of vanilla, slightly sweet, crispy bitter pine. Medium-carbed, which plays well with the oak and mild fruitiness. Aftertaste is phemomenal: really dry, lots of oak and vanilla. I really enjoyed this one: flavor, mouthfeel, and aftertaste were all standouts. Looking forward to trying the regular (694 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- dark honey hue in coor, with lots of head, medium retention.

S- Oak with some citrus qualities of Jai Alai. Grapefruit, lemon other tropical fruits.

T- The oak thing throws me off. I like reg better.

M- Best part of the brew. Has a creamy texture. Medium carb

O- I would take reg any day over this (307 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ahhhh, another wonderful offering from Cigar City. I was quite fortunate to be one of my lbs when this was delivered. The beer guru never heard of it and was intrigued by its existence. I took the 4 pack home along with the Hopped on the High Seas Citra and new I was in for a treat! My first impression was coconut. The oak barrel contributed such a wonderful coconut flavor to this already stellar brew. I felt like I was on a tropical beach in the dead of winter. We actually had about a foot of snow on the ground when I popped the tab. Try this beer if you like Jai Alai. I love coconut and that's all I could think of with this brew. Awesome job!! (653 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cigar City Brewing - White Oak Aged Jai Alai, poured into a DFH Spiegelau IPA glass.

Look - Pours a hazy deep caramel amber with a huge foamy head that retains some and leaves a ton of lacing.

Smell - The oak is definitely center stage with the juicy hop profile next and malt buried somewhere underneath.

Taste - Hoppy citrus with a wave of smooth woody oaky vanilla after and a pine wood finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and drinkable, refreshing pine. Rests dill.

Overall - I really liked this brew, hard to get into these wood-aged IPAs but it is an acquired taste, I'd like to get my hands on some more varieties. (658 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can served at paradise by the slice.
Poured into a glass, it has a burnt orange color body with a small head. The aroma has a pine, citrus hints to it. The taste is oak and vanilla up front with piney hoppy ness to it. Also has a sweetness to it.
The mouthfeel is smooth and overall it is a great beer. (303 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz can poured into tulip.

A: Pours cloudy amber-red with large off-white head.

S: Resinous pine, lots of honey, berries, and some alcohol.

T: I pick up the oak right away. A mostly piney hop profile, though there is some tropical fruit. Some malt sweetness to balance. Slight post bitterness. Different, but I definitely like.

M: Medium body, crisp and quite smooth.

O: A bit different than anything I've tried before, but I find it very drinkable and tasty. (465 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can (canned 1/17/14) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a somewhat pale amber color with excellent clarity. A thin finger of tan foam caps the beer briefly, falling after a minute or so. A thick collar and some foamy sheets of lacing are left behind.

S - Green hop aroma up front, slight maltose sweetness, mild citrus, traces of pine, a touch metallic.

T - Earthy and green flavors start things off with a solid malty sweet base. A bit woody and mixed with some underwhelming hop presence. Hop bitterness is fairly mild with muted citrusy flavors making it thru the other flavors in the beer. Toasted malt flavors, a bit of biscuit-like, dry malt/graininess come thru at the end.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation level that gives a nice fizzy tingle. A bit on the malty side or just light on hops for an IPA.

O - Overall, a bit of a disappointment. I had high hopes for this, being a fan of Cigar City beers in general and a fan of the original Jai Alai. Can is only 1 1/2 months old...maybe the hops have faded some, but I was surprised how low the hop level was in the flavor profile. Wood aging affect the hops some?...maybe, but not sure that is the case. At any rate, glad to have tried it. Will likely give it another try somewhere down the road and give it a second chance. (1,297 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -7%

Enjoyed the regular Jai Alai for the first time last week, time to try out one of its variations. Thanks once again to Kimdog.

Appearance - Dark orange color with some haze and a white head. Good retention, a little bit of lace.

Smell - Seems a little more on the herb+grassy side of the hop spectrum that the original, but a good amount of various fruits there still (grapefruit and mango come to mind). Oak/vanilla presence is definitely there but kinda light, sweet toffee malts as well.

Taste - Unlike the scent, oak hits you right away. Big woody vanilla tones here along with toffee and caramel malts take over the hops quite a bit, but a decent amount of citrus fruit, earthy and floral. Some oddly sharp alcohol bite pops up here and there.

Mouthfeel - Very similar to the original, a little bit on the hefty side but smooth, pretty low bitterness.

Overall - I preferred the original to this one but this a pretty interesting variation. The oak adds a very unique touch but is maybe a bit overpowering. (1,015 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Thanks Kimmy for hooking me up with this.

A- For the purpose of the review, poured from the 12oz can to a small tumbler glass. The body is a orange-dark gold and pretty much clear of any haze. Small white cap forms to about one finger with decent retention. Thick lace sheets at the top and it seemingly coats a majority of the whole glass.

S- Tropical and citrus hops off the top but not quite as pungent as I remember Jai Alai being, just a bit restrained aromatically. Tangerine, mango, oranges and floral notes come to mind. Hints of oak wood, light caramel sweets and some yeast fruits.

T- Oak really comes out in the taste. It is hard to describe as anything other than lightly toasted, fresh woody oak flavor. Slight vanilla but mostly the woody earthy oak feel. Hops are still the main flavor component with notes of tangerines, stone fruits, citrus zest, grapefruit, floral and slight pine. Slight tannins. Malts are here in a light strength with caramel and some sweetness.

MF- Light bodied and crisp IPA feel. Carbonation at a moderately high level helping those hop flavors pop on the taste buds. Finishes with a medium bitterness lingering on the palate.

I am not sure how much the oak flavor and slight vanilla sweetness does for me here. I think I prefer the normal Jai Alai to this one but that is not to say this is much worse. I think the oak is a bit abrasive at times and maybe a bit too much is used. Still a solid beer I would have again. (1,465 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%

A-a clear bright amber with two fingers worth of light cream colored head

S-pale bready malt, light vanilla sweetness, and citrus and pine hops

T-pale malt backbone with citric and piney hop bitterness, tropical fruits, and vanilla

M-medium body, moderate carbonation, bitter finish

Overall an interesting take on the original version, vanilla gives it a little something different (385 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Holy vanilla Batman.
Thanks to Abriggs1.

Pours a light tan with a light head, leaves some lacing as it goes.

Smell is vanilla oak, almost too much vanilla for this much oak.

Taste strong vanilla, some sweetness and oakiness, get that hop bitterness at the end, a vanilla oaky citrus overall.

Something doesn't feel right on the mouthfeel, just a little too lite for me.

Overall I love this beer, would I go for two in a session? No way. I would have more over time? Oh yeah.

Highly recommended (500 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Pours a nice opaque golden/copper color with a white head.

S: Pear, grape, what I imagine wine must smells like, earthy/funky Belgian yeast and just a touch of oak in the nose.

T: In a word, odd. Caramel, citrus, brettanomyces, somewhat earthy. Sweet and nectary.

M: Very smooth for an IPA and medium bodied.

O: Dear Cigar City, aging Jai Alai on white oak is trying to fix something that's not broken, and ending up breaking it. Is it good? Yes, but it's nowhere near as good as the regular jai alai. Still recommended, but between this and the regular Jai Alai, I'd always choose regular. (597 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had several of these on a recent trip to Tampa and really liked what the white oak aging did to this beer. Review of a can (1/10/14)
A-Poured into a widemouth glass there is a finger of white rocky head on top of that common IPA appearance of a clear light orange brew. Sticky head.

S-The grassy, piney notes of Jai Alai are more subdued and the tropical fruit aroma is more prevalent with the addition of vanilla and a definite oak aroma. Very nice. Definitely preferred over Jai Alai.

T-The oak aging really adds a unique flavor profile to this beer. It is sweet, the malt in Jai Alai is sweet but now the hops are also sweet. I get lots of pineapple and some apple and cherry on top of the significant vanilla oak character. Really unique beer. Shit even some orange. Lots of good flavors going on.

M-Less bitterness and drier than Jai Alai, a big improvement for someone who is sensitive to the real bitter IPAs. I really like the taste profile of this beer. Oaked IPAs-nice idea!

O-I really am liking this beer. The oak really mellow out the bitter quality, adds some new flavors and cleans up the finish. (1,114 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing