Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 375 | Hads: 1,719

Poured into pint glass (Sept. 2011 bottling).

Appearance: Amber, slightly darker than the regular Jai Alai. It has the same thick off white head that fades slowly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Lots of oak, vanilla, sweet, hardly any hops.

Taste: Lots of oak, vanilla, leather, subtle hoppiness and a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation, smooth.

Overall: A good, very drinkable beer. The IPA is almost completely overwhelmed by the oak. Not what I was expecting, but pleasantly surprised.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a deep gold with a three finger head. The website says I should be getting vanilla and dill on the nose. That description could not be any more true. I get dill first followed by vanilla and a noticeable whiskey aroma. Very bizarre, yet interesting aroma. No hops to speak of on the smell. The taste is much smoother than the standard Jai Alai. I get tons of vanilla and whiskey initially, while the dill and hops finish things off. I don't taste a hint of bitterness. Overall, one of the more interesting takes on an IPA. While I am impressed with this brew, I prefer the regular Jai Alai more. This is not nearly as drinkable as Jai Alai and the whiskey-like taste can be a little overpowering. Either way, a must-try and I will enjoy the rest of the 4-pack throughout the weekend.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Had on tap; 12oz pour in a tulip glass.
Clear straw colored. Translucent. Sticky white head fades.
Nose is barny hops. Slightly floral, even vague Belgian hints. Some wild yeasty hops combo.
Taste is tangy orange, hops, with slight pepper. More citrus and dry wood. Decent mouthfeel.

Pretty good IPA overall.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Pours a nice golden hazy brown color with a 1 finger white head

S- Has a really nice smell. It has vanilla and oak aromas as well as some citrus hops. It just smells really nice

T- Starts off with a nice vanilla hoppy flavor then the oak flavor comes out in the middle then it ends with a nice sweet hoppy oak flavor in the end. Really nice flavors

M-Medium body with good carbanation

D-overall this is a really nice IPA. I like the regular Jai Alai and so to add this beer to a white oak barrel is nice. I love the flavors and the balance. Nothing is too subtle or too strong. Def pick this one up

4.07/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to whoever brought this one to our IPA day party.

A - Pours murky orange with a small one finger tall white head leaving very light lace down the glass.

S - Smells of caramel malt, vanilla, slightly dulled citric hops, oranges, and lots of dry oak tannins. All things considered this is very well done and has good balance.

T - Starts off with some light citric hop bitterness quickly giving way to a mix of dry oak tannins, vanilla, and dulled citric fruit. The finish is a mix of dryness and light hop bitterness, lingering on the pallet for some time.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Mix of dry oak tannins and light hop bitterness that lingers on the pallet for some time.

O - Pretty good. I like the regular version of this beer quite a bit and this one is no different. I thought the addition of the oak might be a bit too overpowering but it really worked.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

12oz Bottle out of a 4 pack purchased 10/11

A: Pours Golden/Copper light and CLEAR Nice Cream head 2 fingers thick then dissipates to 1/4 finger and stays. Great Lacing.

AR: Oak Up front Sweet and Floral Some Spice im guessing from the oak.Almost like a spicy pine and maple undertones pretty awesome. Some hops break through but mainly overpowered.

T: Def get the oak right away but very little tannins from it. Good malt roundness and some fruit from the hops. Bitterness all the way through stays with you even for a good 15 plus seconds after the drink. The oak stays as well...

M: Medium Body finish is great carb is spot on. This finishes a little heavier than the standard Jai IPA.

O: Seriously Good I was always told the "American White Oak" would be to intense to barrel age with well.... F**k that this is outstanding much like most american styles its over the top and is still delicious. I read this is a beer they produce all the time... Cheers to that I am very impressed I like it almost as much as the unearthly oak aged from southern tier.. its damn close.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

12oz bottle, thanks to whoever sent this to me as an extra. Poured into imperial nonic.

A - Pours a mirky/hazy orange color, white head, thin ring, wisps on top, spotty lacing.

S - Oak, citrus, hoppy bitterness, some malty sweetness. Not exactly sure how old this is, but the hops are pretty faint while the oak takes a front seat.

T - Oak, light hoppy bite, tropical notes, citrus peel. The oak, hops, and sweetness are really nice and smooth. Nothing is too over-the-top, although the oak is very easy to pick out.

M - Light, good carbonation, oily semi-dry finish.

O - This is really the first oak-aged IPA I've ever had. I really like the oak characteristic that this beer has. It doesn't hurt the hops or tropical notes, which surprises me. Really nice for something different and I would drink again but not a session IPA by any means.

4.67/5  rDev +12.8%

Thanks to heatwave33 for the trade.

This one poured a milky golden hue that was a little difficult to see through. It had a slightly creamy mouth feel, reminiscent of a Belgian golden ale, but with a slight hop bite that was refreshing. Overall, I really enjoyed this one and could see myself drinking many more if it were distributed up towards Chicago.

Bravo to Cigar City for brewing such a complex brew that is available year round.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Purchased from Connecticut Ave. Wine & Liquor - big thanks to Al for getting this one in. I've had this several times, but finally getting around to reviewing it.

A: Pours a nice hazy golden-brown with a thin white head

S: Very interesting, unique smell. It a nice mix of vanilla and oak with some citrusy hops. I haven't smelled a beer quite like this before.

T: The vanilla/oak flavor really takes command here, but the hops provide a nice backbone to the oak and it really works together well. It's a little bit sweet and very smooth. Very unique and delicious.

M: Medium bodied with decent carbonation. Nothing particularly stands out or detracts from the beer here.

O: I'm a hop lover and aged IPAs are not typically my thing, but this is an especially tasty beer. I really love the way that the oak and hops blend together here to make something really different and impressive.

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 14JUL11

A: pours an apricot ale with a full finger of maple foam which falls slowly to a quilt of the same. Sheets of lace. Slightly hazy.

S: So, I've heard there are coconut/pina colada notes in this beer. Never believed it....Turns out, they were right. Nice woody character with pineapple and a slight follow through of dry coconut shavings. Pretty cool.

T: Sweet and dry. Some citrus and more sharp pineapple with a resiny midsection and a dry biscuity malt profile lends itself well to the dominant bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with hi carbonation and a dry finish. Would like a bit of a slick on the palate to work with here.

O: A good beer, but the more I drink this, the more I think I prefer the O.G. in this unit. I like how the oak has added the unusual suspect of coconut and dry woodiness (which I found less so in the original). The mouthfeel is off on this for me: needs lower carb and something to resonate the finish off.

3.63/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours hazy amber with a two finger head of sticky foam that leaves some excellent lacing once it starts to drop. faint smell of coconut and vanilla comes through with the oak-like woody aroma - not a whole lot of kick from the hops but the hops that are present are tangy pineapple and citrusy. The flavor is not nearly as hoppy as I expected it's all just balanced with each characteristic just connecting one to the other - nice sweet caramel malts reach out to the subtle oily tropical hoppiness and a sawdust woody flavor to round this beer out as a more balanced less "in your face" hoppy beers. The mouthfeel was pretty full almost syrupy but somehow not too sticky - there was a whole lot of carbonation. Overall this beer is a nice sipper and enjoyable for a new beer that isn't readily available to me. I can appreciate the craft but I was a bit underwhelmed when comparing to my expectations of the incredible beer I was anticipating. Perhaps I shouldn't get my hopes up as much as I did - oh well - it was still a good brew!

4.47/5  rDev +8%

Pours a hazy, orange-gold with a two-finger head in a DFH goblet. Rich smells of wood and vanilla predominate. Really pretty.

Taste-wise, this is a special IPA. Wonderful tropical notes of pineapple and a hint of coconut; I get the sense that this is an IPA with a crush on a pina colada. An orange peel note ties the fruits to the hoppy finish. For a brief second, it also has a saison feel to it. The finish is dry and bitter, with the oak coming through and smoothing the body and mouthfeel out. The citrusy hop bitterness lingers just long enough until your next sip.

Extremely original and very tasty. Excellent and a must-try if you have the chance. I'd love to pair this up with sweet and sour rabbit...yum!

3.46/5  rDev -16.4%

12 oz bottle, poured into pint glass

Appearance: Orange-like gold, not perfectly clear but just a tiny bit cloudy, good amount of an off-white head.

Smell: Very unique. I get like a coconut somehow. It smells tropical but there is something there that gives it a bit of funk too. Can't tell what it is. Not too much of a traditional hop smell. Maybe a bit of a buttery smell in there? To be honest, it's not very appealing.

Taste: It tastes better than the smell, but you are overwhelmed a bit by the tropical flavors. You get hit with the hops at first but the fade away as the other flavors take over. Honestly, I think this is one of those IPAs where the aging on wood didn't help. The normal IPA couldn't hold up to the additional flavors added from the wood. It's not bad, but it's just not something I would seek out.

Overall: I know some people rave about this. To each his own. It's not for me. I'd rather have a good normal IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a very hazy orange/peach color with a small white head on top. Decent retention and some lacing, but nothing really special.

S: Slightly hoppy, but not as much as regular jai alai. There is a little bit of apple and a little bit of wood. There is some toffee on the back end.

T: Kind of muted, a decent amount of woody oak, some caramel and toffee. A bit of citrus/orange and vanilla round it out, but the citrus level is relatively low.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not bad, but I prefer the unoaked version more. The oak seemed to mute some of the hops a bit.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Out the bottle.

Poured a dark, cloudy orange with a large white head. No vibrant colors, but beautiful lacing and retention.

This beer has a very woody smell. Its like being in a damp forest, but not particularly an oak forest. I live in one, I know the smell. Very comforting. Some of the usual IPA characteristics, flowery hops, citrus notes.

On the front the beer is bitter, with citrus notes that mellow out into flowery hops. In the finish, the oak really comes through. Definitely oak. Works very well with the IPA. Perfect carbonation.

I really, really enjoyed this beer. Flowers and woods come together!

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, dark but dull orange-hued body with a medium-sized, frothy, white head.

Smell: A mild-tempered pale malt base giving rise to bolder notes of fresh, juicy citrus fruits and zestful, raw oak wood.

Taste: Pale malts, very faintly bready and with a flash flash of sweet caramel before the beer becomes dry. Quite dry, in fact, as the tannic qualities from the oak being to take hold. Teensy, tiny hints of peach and apricot. Hops bring in the citrus goodness with a moderate bitterness. Drying, bitterish finish with some lingering fruitiness and late-arriving vanilla hints.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: A enjoyable, well-executed rendition, though I'd still lean towards the cedar variety. That's just me, though!

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Reviewed from notes:

appearance: hazy copper orange with 1 finger off white head

smell: oak, vanilla, citrus, hops, malts

taste: sweet malts, some wood, hops,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: interesting beer. definitely unique and glad I got to try it.

the CPJ

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Had this on-tap at CCB. Served on a pint glass.

A: dark amber/brownish color, more on the opaque side. Small fizzy head but good retention. Very good lacing decorating the glass with foamy strands.

S: strong coconut smell, oak, pineapple, also some floral hints and hops. More on the 'sweet' side.

T: herbal, hoppy, wood. The taste of the hops is disguised a bit as the beer goes down and ends with some sweet notes.

M: light to medium body, carbonation was a bit on the high side.

O: overall it was a pretty good beer and a very peculiar IPA. I wish carbonation was on the lower side. Regardless, I recommend this beer.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle gifted by Chaney. Thanks Brandon! I split this with Paul earlier this summer. Review from notes.

The beer is a copper orange hue with a thick, white head that displays lasting retention and leaves ample lacing cascading down the pint glass.

The aroma is a huge blast of oak and vanilla, followed by hops and some caramel malt. I can smell the beer from a few feet away. Alrighty then.

The flavor is decent. The beer is done well, but a little bit goes a long way here. Sweet and oaky, this is best enjoyed in small doses. I don't see this brew as an IPA, per se, but more of a wood aged strong ale. Again, lots of oak and vanilla dominate the flavor profile to a large degree. The heavy malt bill works with the beer, but not if you were expecting or hoping for a hop forward IPA. This drinks more along the lines of an American strong ale or barleywine, as the hop profile is being overrun with oak, vanilla, and sweet malt.

An interesting brew. I have yet to truly relish any sort of barrel aged IPA. I am all for exploration and creativity, but it seems, to me at least, that IPAs are better left alone. I am grateful for the opportunity to try this. Not my favorite type of beer, but I would certainly try it again.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Served to me in a standard Pint Glass from my local gastropub of choice, Kickbacks.

Lighting is poor. But to say that this one is on the amber side would imply that in better lighting it would better to be called a few shades lighter. Found a better light source. A deep yellow, near red. Nice clarity. A solid finger of head on the pour. Lacing is rather nice, with distinguishable lines from sip to sip.

This is not my first attempt at this beer, so each time I am greeted by the same aroma. Apricots. There is a dominant sweetness off played by the hopped up oak body that creates a pleasant and quite fruity IPA. Very nicely done. Perhaps a bit on the sweet side.

Clean and crisp is how I would describe the regular Jai Alai. This one has a bit more sticky sweetness, followed by a residual lingering after-bite that distracts from the hoppy base of the beer. The foreflavor is rather weak, though the finish is pure white oak apricot essence. Very fruity, light and semi refreshing. Suprising, yet defined. Quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel is a bit sticky from the oak resins, though it has a clean "presence" to it. I find the mouthfeel to be remiscent of a sipping belgian triple. A bit on the sweet side, but a solid hop base that provides a nice balance. This one comes off a bit on the sweet side though.

Overall, I find it to be an excellent example of taking a rather straightforward style (American IPA) and having a bit of fun. Well executed.

3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

A: Crimson and copper. half finger head. Hazy.

S: Oak, vanilla and some hops in the aroma

T: lot of oak and wood flavor. More vanilla. The jai alai hops are kind of overwhelmed however

M: Moderate carbonation and medium body.

Overall: I like the beer but the oak was a little stronger than I like and I am not sure if the flavors off-set each other or cover up the hops. A little off for me.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 8/17/11
*From notes

-- A BIG thanks goes out to my CCB connect for this one. Cheers, Dave! --

A: An unfiltered golden amber that makes my jaw drop. An easy pour yields a Biblical three finger head and that epic CCB lacing.

S: Tannic, musty. Sweet wood and some authentic smoke. A good amount of juicy hop oil is there too, lingering on the backside.

T: Crisp wood. The hops play gracefully with the smokiness. At the same time, you've got the fresh hops pounding away on the tastebuds. It's extremely unique. It comes off quite like a splinter-laden California chard.

M: Masterful. Again, there's a wine-like tannin profile here that dries out from the start. The carbonation adds a lovely complexity to it, and the weight is spot-on.

O: Cigar City's White Oak Jai Alai is yet another home run in their Jai Alai series. It's got a lot going on from start to finish, and is one of the most interesting beers I've had in a while.

To those looking for a white wine-like hybrid, or simply a one of a kind AIPA, I highly recommend searching this one out.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apricot color with a finger of foam; webs a bit of lacing

Smell: Tropical fruit, citrus, pine, caramel and vanilla; the wood leaves a firm impression, as well

Taste: The bitterness unfolds as soon as the liquid hits the tongue, with the tropical fruit, pithy citrus and pine flavors adding depth; the caramel backbone also provides sweetness by mid-palate; after the swallow, the oak and vanilla add another dimension, though the finish is predominately bitter

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a rather spritzy level of carbonation

Overall: Though I am not the biggest fan of wood-aged IPAs, this is nicely done

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

Wow hard to imagine this is the same Jai Alai I just had a couple of months ago. The non oaked version is more of an IPA this oak version is just out of hand unlike any offering I've had from an IPA. I get a nice oak and spicey aroma but the flavor just oozes out with vanilla and a hot boozey bite of spiciness. There is a bit heavier diacetyl in the mouth. A decent beer but not really my type.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottled July 11, 2011. Served at around 45F.

Pours hazy orange/amber with a two finger off-white head that leaves a lot of nice looking lacing and holds a good creamy cap. Quite attractive.

Aroma is very floral with a bit of tropical fruit and citrus, notes of pine, grass, oak and vanilla, decent caramel malt as well. Very good strength and a rather complex nose.

Flavor is floral hops, tropical fruits, some grapefruit and orange citrus, only a hint of oak, some resinous hops, fair caramel malt backbone offering some sweetness, finishes with good bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, a little oily and creamy with good carbonation.

Good stuff. Enjoying this more than the regular Jai Alai but that could also be a factor of freshness/batch variations. While it is somewhat caramel heavy for an IPA there are more fresh hops here for balance. The oak is subtle but welcome.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing