Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Jai Alai IPA - White OakJai Alai IPA - White Oak

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010)
3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

A - Gusher! Exploded out of the bottle and pours a deep hazy amber color. Huge foamy slightly off white head. Lots of lacing.

S - Earthy hops with oak and alcohol. Faint hints of citrus. Bready, biscuity malt.

T - Big sweet biscuity maltiness. Lemongrass hops and wood. Bitterness sets in as the tongue dries out. Oak and alcohol are left behind.

M - Medium body with lots of carbonation. The carbonation is very refreshing.

O - Meh. Not exactly sure of the age of this bottle. I think it may be a little past its prime. That being said. The body, appearance and aroma are nice. Not a ton of hop bite, but I think it perhaps has just faded.

4.22/5  rDev 0%

I am very lucky to have two uncles who live about twenty minutes away from Cigar City and they happened to be coming home to Cleveland and surprised me with a growler of this beer! I told them that I love stouts and IPA's so I was very happy when they pulled this out of the cooler!

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter to find a nice golden amber body with a nice one inch white head. The aroma was prominent with the citrus and oak with hints of the hops.

The taste is excellent, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Oak Aged IPA that I have ever had and I was very surprised. The citrus notes hit you first with some malts in the middle and hints of the oak at the end. This is another example of several different flavor profiles blended together so well. There is also some nice hints of sweetness in there that leave you wanting to drink more. This medium body beer was easy to drink and I easily put down the mini 32oz growler with ease.

Overall a great IPA and I really enjoyed sitting on the deck tonight enjoying this beer and I hope with my uncle living in the area that I get more great beers from Cigar City every time he comes home!

Poured a very cloudy darker orange color with some beige head and pretty good lacing.

Smell is very hoppy with some citrus coming throw.

Taste is fantastic, hoppy throughout with some malt undertones.

Mouthfeel is mediu. This beer went down very smooth.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I would love to drink this beer on a regular basis. Really love this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Cheers to a Florida trading partner for hooking up this IPA from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa called Jai Alai White Oak. It's their regular IPA - Jai Alai - aged in White Oak. In case you didn't put that together from the name.

The beer is citrus, sweet, and round. Lacing all over the glass, and a hazy orange to copper in color. It smells of a lovely citrus grapefruit, orange, and oakey sugar. You can almost taste the wood when you inhale. That's not a dick joke, either.

The taste follows through. Leading with a hops bite of grapefruit and pine, following with caramel malts and some toast, and finishing with a smooth thickness that is no doubt provided by the oak, this IPA is smooth drinking without question. Not as clean and crisp a finish as Cigar City's standard Jai Alai IPA, the white oak is for when you want to drink a little less, and enjoy the sweetness a little more. The mouthfeel fits right in with that, as it's a thick medium body.

Incidentally, that's all about like today's drinking expectations. I've eaten one egg and drank three beers. This one... this one counts as lunch. And what a good lunch it is.

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Had this on tap at CCB. Definitely my favorite thing I had there... and I was a big fan of the Humidor IPA from a previous tasting, too. Just plain interesting. Where can I get some White Oak? Served in a shaker pint glass.

The beer has a creamy, inviting foamy head that just opens my eyes and waters my mouth. Heck yes. You can tell they put a lot of effort into clean glassware here... and since I'm getting it at the brewery, I feel like I can include that in the beer's score. The body itself is a slightly hazy, standard IPA. However, the head alone merits the 4.5.

The IPA was fruity as all get go... and that's how I love my IPAs. They said it was made with a blend of hops and dry hopped with Simcoe. Every one of them added to the smell and taste. It was a veritable mixture of fruits and succulent flavors. The oak itself provides a different kind of fruit flavor. This stuff is addictive and I keep loving every extra sip. In addition to the wonderful flavor, the mouthfeel is solid, but not mindblowing. This isn't exactly a Live Oak beer or anything... but it will do the job.

CCB's experimentation provides some hits and misses, but this hits all over the place. This may be my favorite standard IPA I've had and I'd jump at the chance to have it on tap again.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

a: amber/red with a cream head which foams up to a half inch in the glass. slowly retreats and leaves nice sticky lacing as it goes. a touch darker and cloudier than I expected.

s: malt forward. has a a sweet aroma, and a touch of sourness like grape skin. wish I was getting a bit more hop here.

t: some bitterness from the hops, but this is all malt. Nice and sweet. I am getting a toasty caramel/toffee with wooden aspects here. i wouldn't know it as oak, but this certainly tastes like beer was mellowing in a wooden humidor. Quite nice taste, though I was I was getting some fruit flavors in here as well as some nice hop taste considering it is an IPA...I'm getting none of that here.

m: nice, creamy and with good fizz. It is a touch thin given the flavor profile and wish it covered the palette a bit better as the malt sweetness would be nice to savor.

o: a solid brew. doesn't taste a ton like an IPA as it is missing that leading hop character, though it is certainly a nice use of wood aging. The white oak must be what adds the caramel/toffee flavor and i'm enjoying it.

4.33/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle into a pint glass - bottled May 20 2011

A: Pours a golden honey color with a nice white head that fades to a ring and leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is huge with the oak in the form of caramel and vanilla with the malt showing up as toffee and the hops are very subdued with hints of citrus and grapefruit. I can't stop smelling this beer...it smells very unique and amazing.

T: The taste also has a huge wood influence with notes of vanilla, caramel, toffee, and the hops show up with notes of pine and grapefruit.

M: The feel is thicker than a regular IPA and pretty creamy.

O: The oak aging is very apparent in this beer. In fact I'd call it an oak bomb but I think it's brilliant. I really enjoy this and wish I had a few more.

3.6/5  rDev -14.7%

Appearance: Burnt caramel. Two finger head. Lace on the glass.

Aroma: Bitter, citrus, and smoky. Hints of spice and you can pick up on the cedar right away. I prefer the aromas of the original Jai Alai.

Taste: Again, bitter taste but also a good balance with the cirtus flavors and spices. Nutty and burnt aftertaste really compliments the orange flavors I pick up.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel. Not as much carbonation for this IPA--which I enjoy.

Drinkability: I'm partial to a beer with low carbonation; so for me this beer is very drinkable. If you find yourself liking increased carbonation, you might not enjoy it as much. Altogether, I have to agree with other reviewers--very smooth.

Overall, this is a great IPA. I prefer the traditional CCB Jai Alai, but this isn't a bad spin on the original and may be worth a try if you are partial to nuttier/woody flavors.

3.85/5  rDev -8.8%

Another CCB brew made possible by trade w/ Alieniloquium. Thanks Bro!

Bottle date looks like 03/11/11

A: Pours similar to it's orginal form with a hazy sort of cooked caramel caramel color and a thin cap of off-white frothy foam. Some nice lace along the glass.

S: Aroma is much more subdued here with a more pronounced spice and pinecone nose. Able to pick up a more bready malt aroma than I recall with the original as well.

T: Hops are mellowed a bit too compared to the og or maybe they have started to drop off. Either way I pick up more caramel malt flavors with an interesting sort of nutty smokiness to it. Still hoppy with tropical fruits and botanicals notes here. More of that distinct earthy spice for sure. The oak is very subtle and you really have to search for it but it does linger and the combination of flavors gives off a very citrus orange-like flavor. Really nice. Again rather light or void even on the overall bitterness to the palate. Finishes light, dry and crisp with mild ABV detection.

M: Great mf as well with a slightly sticky and slick coat to the tongue. Overall a very creamy light bodied brew that is delicate on the palate. Would love to try on cask.

D: Much like the original a really nice fruity IPA that is incredibly light and smooth in body with no offensive sharp hop bitter bite.

An interesting take on an oaked IPA. Not really alot of wood flavor here and I definitely think the hop aroma/flavors were less pungent than the orginal. That being said still very hoppy and delicous with an overall flavor impression of a sort of sour-orange fruit drink.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Taken from notes on 3.30.11

12oz bottle poured in a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark orange with a thick creamy head. Good lacing left on the glass.

S - The wood is very strong here, boozy, citrus, and slightly floral.

T - A burnt-like citrus, wood flavor.

D - Very smooth and silky.

4.1/5  rDev -2.8%

12oz bottle poured into a CC snifter.

A - Pours a hazy copper with a luscious white head that recedes to a chunky haze while leaving streaky lacing clinging to the glass.
S - Spicy grapefruit hops, sweet coconut, and fresh-cut oak exist in a very nice balance. Usually I find Cigar City's IPAs to be too sweet, but I feel the oak-aging may tone it down a bit. Here's hoping...
T - Yeah, really nice and balanced, despite the big flavors. Notes of pungent grapefruit, pine resin, coconut, and pineapple mix well with the sweet caramel malt backbone and the subtle vanilla from the oak. Very well done, surprisingly complex.
M - Slightly oily, with a medium-full body and lowish carbonation. This is definitely meant to be a slow sipper, and as it warms more of the coconut and vanilla start to come out.
O - A great take on Jai Alai, one that stands head and shoulders over the base beer. This is a beer that requires a bit of time to understand, really make sure you let it open up a bit.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%

Cigar City Brewing Jai Alai – White Oak
Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A – Pours a gorgeous strong perfect orange color with some nice haze and a slight golden outline. There is a nice .25 inch head that is nice and white and quite dense. It has some medium retention. (4.5)

S – Flowery aromas with some slight woody and grassy notes tomorrow. Nice tropical fruit notes that are a bit balanced with the wood spice. Some mango and some peach notes are present. (4.0)

T & M – Nice woody notes to start with some slight coconut flavors present. Mango notes and some peach as well as some nice grassy and citrus notes. The wood notes add an interesting balance to the traditional hop juicy character. There is a nice dry hoppy and bitter finish but that is also infused with a dry and fresh wood notes. The coconut flavor is really nice on this beer and not to overpowering. There are some nice bready notes in the background to this beer but obviously this is a hop heavy beer. (4.0) (4.0)

O – This beer is quite delicious and interesting. I’m interested to try the base beer. (4.5)

3.83/5  rDev -9.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a tulip glass. Goldish orange pour that left a big gushing and sticky white head with very nice lacing throughout. Nose is buttery citrus, most notably tangerine and pineapple and perhaps coconut. The taste is a creamy oak, vanilla, some coconut, hops, and moderate pine. The mouthfeel was much improved when compared to the regular Jai Alai IPA. Softer and not as bitter on the tongue. This beer is obviously intended to be savored slowly to appreciate the subtle differences and over the top oakiness. Medium-bodied with a light oily finish. Finishes clean with a dank budder aftertaste in the mouth. Overall, a nice oaky/vanilla IPA from Cigar City.

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Hazy copper pint with a nice thick cap good lacing
Smells big coconut with hops in the back
Taste follows the nose but with a pronounced wood flavor, reminds me of the smell from freshly split wood the longer this goes the more woody it gets which just gets a bit unpleasant.
Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied bright carbonation
Overall not a bad beer but a pint was a bit much by the end

3.23/5  rDev -23.5%

Received as an extra in a trade with brewpaab. Thank you! I have had regular Jai Alai which I think is amazing and the Humidor series which I also really enjoy. Poured into my Fantome Tulip.

50th Review for me!

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange color with a light tan uncontrollable tow and a half finger head. Extremely active carbonation and the head keeps building, over three fingers now. This is one of the most active beers I have ever poured, and definitely the most active in this style. Starting to get a little bit annoying, maybe I should have used a more open glass.

Smell: The smell of cut oak hits me immediately. I love that smell. Some nice citrusy fruity notes follow.

Taste: Going to be a while before I get the chance to taste this beer. Everything is blended very well in the taste, most things are not too distinguishable from one another. The bitterness shows up a little bit on the back end. I feel the oaking of this beer has made it too smooth, no bite that I like in my IPAs and the fruity bouquet of flavors present in the original is almost lost to the oak in this version.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy for an IPA, carbonation has calmed down after the head dissipated, I wouldnt call it flat but would appreciate more carbonation.

Overall: Not a huge fan of this one. I feel that oak is a very hard flavor to successfully incorporate into an IPA, I do not Jai Alai is very well suited for the overbearing flavor of oak. I love the original, just not the oakiness.

3.78/5  rDev -10.4%

A slightly hazy ruby red amber with a finger of fluffy foam poured into my tulip. Nose reveals a touch of sweet strawberry, blood orange, creamy vanilla and custard filled pastry. Tasty is creamy and refreshing with a light hop bite as well as a touch of tannins from the oak the the finish. The taste is nearly as complex as the nose but does have some red fruit along with bitter citrus peel and a nice dry malt taste. Very nice ipa and easily drinkable as well.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Instead of reviewing the beer by itself I'm just going to comment on the differences between this version and the regular Jai Alai.

A - Pretty much the same, might be a little hazier and the head might be a little more foamy in density.

S - First whiff reveals a nice aged oak aroma, very fragrant. The caramel background aroma is more hidden than the original and the hop smell is slightly masked as well, but remain the same scent. Just a tick lower in score because of the less aromatic hop aroma.

T - Again, big on the oak flavor and I would say it's the major player in this beer. The hop flavor is drowned down just a skosh but there is still plenty of resin and woody/earthy flavors coming through. The caramel background is also still a solid flavor holding the beer together. Just a tick higher in score because the original flavor is still there but the oak did nothing but help it.

M - Pretty much unchanged, maybe just a little less carbonation, maybe. Same score.

CCB took an already stellar beer and tweaked it just slightly to take it to the next level. The base beer remains unchanged but the oak aging doesn't take away or change the make-up of it at all. Bravo.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

thanks to Maltzilla for the chance to taste this beer -poured chilled into a willybecker.

A deep apricot shade w/ towering rocky ecru cap w/ whipped topography, mildly hazy -yet visibly carbonated with spacious bubbles and spotty lace pattern. The smell is very fruity with a lot of oaky resin odor and the nose has a bit more pine cone hop scent than floral but a slight citrus accent is there. The feel is good, w/ very oaky and astringent accents lives up to the name w/ moderate bitterness and light sweetness w/ a bit of creamy and oaky texture almost. The finish is drying and oily with hop resin and the body is medium with a moderately low amount of carbonation.

The taste is very good with a balance of bitter and spicy hops with the sweetness of the gentle oak taste and malt. The yeast is there w/ no doubt as it blends in well w/ the astringency of the hops. the hops have a nice citrus quality which also seems to add some piney. The oak comes off as an ingredient that is well integrated here - you aren't sure if you are tasting hops or the oak at times. A nice caramel maltiness adds to the mystery -am I getting vanilla from the oak or is the malt what I am tasting? It cushions the acidity of the hops but lends astringency where it is needed with a mild toasted taste from the malt. there is a subtle wood and herbal blend of slightly lemony flavors that linger after the taste. Overall I enjoyed this IPA a lot It is treated very well w/ the oak not dominating like the cedar version I tasted. It adds a layer of complexity and I would certainly not mind having this again.

4.2/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Amber hue with a huge, bright and steady head; bubbles move slowly and steadily up the glass; lacing is wonderful

S: A balance of grapefruit hops and slightly sweet toffee and caramel like malts; a black pepper spice underneath the malts and hops; also a subtle grainy and woody back end to the aromas

T: Wow! I did not expect that bitter hop explosion after the somewhat subtle aromas; besides the obvious grapefruit and citrus from the hops there is a black pepper spice and obvious oaky quality that so nicely complements the hops and helps them blend so well with the strong malted backbone; this is a good tasting beer that I wish didn't have such a dry finish, but all in all this tastes awesome

F: The beer does quickly vanish from the back of the mouth--the dryness is probably due to the oak, but it does distract from the beer just a bit; it just doesn't have that oily stickiness that I prefer from a hoppy IPA

O: This is a darn good oak-aged IPA; I generally like wood aged IPAs and this might be right up there with the best of them; the dry aftertaste does take away a tad from the overall beer but all in all this is a great beer from Cigar City

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Giant white head that has finally tapered off as I write this. The top of the beer still has a coat of foam on it. The beer itself is a light amber.

Smell - Not what I expected. With most oaked IPAs, I smell sweetness enhanced by wood. This one has a sharp, fresh oak aroma. A citrusy hop aroma is there, as well.

Taste - Nowhere near as sweet as I expected. It is a very fresh IPA. The oak actually adds to the bitterness instead of softening any flavors. This is far more appealing than other oaked IPAs I've had. The hop flavor takes a backseat to the oak, at least to me. Obviously, there's still a hop flavor, but I'm more interested in the oak.

Mouthfeel - Pretty high in carbonation. Makes the beer feel lighter and fresher. It's not syrupy. Just the right consistency for a standard IPA. I detect no alcohol whatsoever. There is a bite at the end from the woodiness.

Overall - A very interesting oaked IPA. Nothing like any other I've had. Has none of the cloying sweetness of other oaked IPAs, which I really appreciate.

4.03/5  rDev -4.5%

Received in a trade with richalexander78 - lots of great CCB beers!!

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Clear, copper hue with a nice, thick foamy 2 finger head that definitely lingers and left a nice cap all the way down. Very sticky with excellent lacing that stuck all the way down as well.

S - I can definitely smell the oak, along with some citrus (pineapple / mango?), and some toasted malts. Hop character not as pronounced as your typical IPA.

T & M - Nicely balanced with good carbonation, some sweetness up front with the toasted malt, and the hop / oak flavor finished it off.

Overall - A great beer. Nice, refreshing and great balance.

3.53/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this bottle in yet another incredible box from Palmej1. Thanks Jacob! 12oz bottle into my Brugges Zot chalice.

The beer pours an appealing copper color with a finger of white foam. The head recedes leaving a thin white coaster and some very nice lacing. I can smell the wood in this beer immediately, sweet biscuity malt and citrus hops round out the nose. The taste is an initial blast of bitter citrus. Orange, pineapple and mango dominate. The malt profile provides a nice sugar cookie backbone, but the hops are showcased here. The oak persists throughout, however, and while it is initially interesting, I think that after awhile it takes away from the experience. Feel is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. As the beer warms it becomes creamier. Overall this was pretty good. I think I prefer my IPA without the wood though, as I like the regular version of Jai Alai better than this iteration. If you like your IPA with oak seek this out.

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A -Beer is a medium copper color, slightly cloudy. Head is very fluffy and off-white colored. When I poured it the head foamed up drastically and I had to stop pouring to keep it from overflowing the glass. Possible contamination?

S - Crisp Northwestern hops dominate. Then there is a strong nutty or coconut note and lots of wood. No malt aroma breaks through.

T - The initial hit is strong hops flavor and bitterness. As that fades the coconut and nut flavors roll in. There is also an astringent quality in the end, like iced tea.

M - Body is light. Fizzy carbonation. Massive hops bitterness. No alcohol burn.

D - Overall a good IPA with very strong hop level. The coconut flavor and aroma are very pronounced and I guess they are from the white oak.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks goes out to cyrusthepup for this brew.

Pours a nice cloudy dark amber color, nice carbonation, HUGE thick foamy/creamy off-white head, with tons of very nice thick sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy with some nice malt notes, citrus, oaky. The taste is sweet, hoppy, malty, with some nice oak notes, and citrus. Medium Body. This is one very tasty brew.

3.35/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle courtesy of PALMEJ1. Thanks again Jacob!

Pours a hazy dark golden orange/copper color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source and a frothy two finger yellowish beige head. Good retention, slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with chunks of soapy lacing.

The aroma of this beer is kind of odd with a blend of toasted oak, earthy hops and a buttery malt backbone. I'm not picking up much of the citrus and pine hop presence f the base beer. Those notes are only faint under the barrel character and the nose s dominated by oak and malt. Hints of caramel, wood, toffee, biscuit and butter.

Medium bodied with more of a hop forward presence than the aroma suggests. Dry and bitter with lots of resinous, earthy pine flavor. The white oak presence is very prominent adding more dryness and a toasted wood flavor that takes away from the sweeter tropical/citrus notes of the base beer. As a result, the malt backbone is stronger with hints of toffee, caramel and biscuit. The ABV is well masked making this beer pretty quaffable but t could use some more balance.

Overall, this was an interesting beer and the white oak barrel really changes the base beer, but it could use a bit of sweetness to balance things out.

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing