Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 365 | Hads: 1,688
4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

It is shaping up to be a Cigar City day as I run through a backlog of CANs that had been awaiting picture approval and other obstacles that stood in my way. Hoppy Easter!

From the CAN: "Drink fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "This is an Ameri[CAN] oak aged verssion of Jai Alai. The oak adds smoothing notes of vanilla and slight hints of dill to the aroma and flavor profile. The finish is elegantly dry due to the light tannin notes from oak aging and though still loaded with hop flavor, hop bitterness is more restrained."

A nice, loud Crack! presented a brimful craft CAN, but these guys must have been talking to my Old Lady, who was scandalized by the inverted Glug. It's beer, kids! It ain't gonna bruise, but I promised that I would use a gentle pour when so directed. I was careful, but I still created a finger of dense, tawny head with great retention. Color was a deep-amber (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of coconut, dill pickle, bourbon-like booziness, caramel, but not much in the way of hops. Hmmm. Mouthfeel was medium and the caramel-coconut taste was primary on the tongue. I really was not experiencing much in the way of hops, but it was okay. I was reminded of a coconut Easter egg, quite appropriate for the day. This makes me want to revisit Jai Alai for a side-by-side comparison. Finish was, indeed, dry, but restrained. I did not feel like I needed to reach for my asthma inhaler, which is sometimes the case with AIPAs. Good stuff!

My original bottle review dtd 23 August 2011, scores 4.0, 5.0, 4.0, 3.5, 4.0 follows:

My thanks to DmanGTR for sending this to me in return for some various CANS. I do not have a problem with receiving bottles, but do not look for me to ship them.

From the bottle: "India Pale Ale aged on American White Oak."

I am back on a slippery slope with all of these recent AIPAs, but it's all right ma, I'm only bleeding. I got two fingers of dense French Vanilla-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a hazy orangish-amber. Nose smelled of coconut, caramel, pine hops and a mild oakiness. Man, I may need a lay-down after this one is over. Mouthfeel was medium and the oakiness was prevalent on the tongue. You had best like the taste of oak-aged beers going into this one. It was much different from regular Jai Alai, not better or worse, just different. I found it very drinkable and the dry finish only helped to speed its drinkability. A very tasty beer! (2,475 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -5.3%

Filled Last night; Sampled January 2011
A big pour into my CCB snifter produces a two finger thick, light, almost pale, tan colored head that leaves some sticky lacing as it slowly subsides.. The beer is a red-amber-copper color that shows a barely hazed, pale amber / copper hue when held up to the light. For a half second the aroma smells only of herbal hops, but then a buttery oak character kicks in as well as a light woody spiciness and an almost fruity, fresh cut wood character (this last must be influenced by the hop fruitiness). The oak influences the hop character to lean more towards the herbal side than the regular version does, and it also brings out a surprising note of floral pear. It is weird, the huge hop fruit character somehow lurks furtively in the background, but at the same time is on the verge of seeming huge here in the nose; it definitely suggests at tropical fruit and when you really dig the finish is quite dominated by a uniquely singular grapefruit zest aroma (this last is not a suggestion of such an aroma as in every other IPA I have had, but instead smells exactly like grapefruit zest).

A nice biting bitterness closely followed by grapefruit and tangelo citrus notes greets my tongue up front. A bright tropical fruit character is found towards the middle in finish (much more apparent than in the nose) and the oak brings out some pear notes here as well. The finish is quite smooth, with an initial bitterness sort of morphing into a lightly spicy oak character and then just melting into a mix of buttery oak and pear / tropical fruit character with really no lingering bitterness at all; it is as if the oak neutralizes the bitterness in the finish somehow. There is quite a bit of green, sort of fruity (this last is clearly influenced by the hops), fresh woodiness towards the finish of this beer and this also accentuates herbal hop notes that lean towards mint, rosemary and perhaps a hint of sage. This has a fullness to it that is not heavy, and it suggests at the caramel malt character that is here; this last really melds into the buttery oak character such that it isn't as noticeable as it was in the regular Jai Alai.

This beer is quite interesting, the oak definitely adds complexity and the notes it brings to the game are nice, but actually negatively impacts the overall balance and composition of the beer (especially since the straight Jai Alai is so fresh in my mind). Still, this is quite enjoyable, I would almost always choose the regular version over this, or even the Cedar version is better, but I truly am quite happy to be drinking this right now (I am perhaps a bit overly disappointed only because I am making a mental comparison to the regular version I had last night). (2,751 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Cigar City pint glass. It poured a murky, orange/amber color with a dense and rocky head overflowing from the glass. Fantastic head retention to it, as a thick foam was there throughout drinking it. Very nice lacing as well. Pretty much a perfect looking beer of the style for me.

The aroma has a very nice and juicy hoppiness to it. I get a lot of grapefruit flavor out of it, wit ha little mango and peach as well. The oak is also there and adds some vanilla and moderate woody flavors. The oak is very well done and enhances the flavors instead of overpowering them.

The taste shows more of the oak than the nose did. I get a little vanilla mixed wit ha pretty big earthy, woody flavor. The juicy, grapefruit like hop flavors are also there. The finish mixes some moderate bitterness with some of the sweeter, juicy, and woody flavors. Very nice hoppiness to it and the wood flavors really enhanced the flavors for me without being too overbearing.

The mouthfeel is a bit heavy for an IPA, with carbonation being moderate. The heavy mouthfeel makes it seem even juicier and almost pulpy. It actually fit the beer pretty nicely. Overall, I really liked this beer. I liked it a lot better then the cedar one as well. The oak was very nice in it, but still allowed the hops to shine. I'm not usually one for wood treatments to IPA's so this one surprised me a bit. Very solid beer overall. (1,428 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Date on bottle is May 4th 2011, I think.

A very nice tight retention off white head of a good solid 3 fingers. Foamy, clumpy and tightness sits on a suspended glowing orange body with some hazyness. Too bad for the cloudyness unfortunately still looks good.

Woah what is that on the nose! It's buttery floral and grass. Garden, honeysuckle and bee pollen. Hints of salt and pickle brine. Bizarre but I am going to say I actually enjoy this.

Hit of hop and pickles. No joke, hint of salty brine of cucumber and dill pickle on the finish. DILL DILL DILL holly cow batman! I don't mind this but woah is this ridiculous. A good hop finish and initial bent, some hints of diacetyl like butter comes through also matching the butter sense on the nose.

Fairly simple feel and body, nothing off putting or outlandish.

Overall I am beginning to think aging IPAs with oak either resting, chips, or barrels is a recipe for disaster but we'll see. Right now though I need some sour cream to go with these Dill potato chips I just drank. (1,077 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance - Giant white head that has finally tapered off as I write this. The top of the beer still has a coat of foam on it. The beer itself is a light amber.

Smell - Not what I expected. With most oaked IPAs, I smell sweetness enhanced by wood. This one has a sharp, fresh oak aroma. A citrusy hop aroma is there, as well.

Taste - Nowhere near as sweet as I expected. It is a very fresh IPA. The oak actually adds to the bitterness instead of softening any flavors. This is far more appealing than other oaked IPAs I've had. The hop flavor takes a backseat to the oak, at least to me. Obviously, there's still a hop flavor, but I'm more interested in the oak.

Mouthfeel - Pretty high in carbonation. Makes the beer feel lighter and fresher. It's not syrupy. Just the right consistency for a standard IPA. I detect no alcohol whatsoever. There is a bite at the end from the woodiness.

Overall - A very interesting oaked IPA. Nothing like any other I've had. Has none of the cloying sweetness of other oaked IPAs, which I really appreciate. (1,087 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%

On tap into a ccb pint glass

A golden, hazy, nice thick white head, light lacing, head dissipates at a medium pace into a nice white crown

S wow! Coconut, vanilla, sweet hops, light citrus. Amazing!

T the best thing ever! Heavy coconut, vanilla beginning and middle, almost tropical hop and citrus ending. The after taste is mellow and smooth coconut milk.

M smooth as silk. light, good carbonation, fun.

O in my top 3 ipas of all time.,, this beer is delicious, if you have the opportunity get it and get a lot of out. Highly recommended by me, not that it matters, but wow, it is great (592 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Received in trade from Meadme, thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a fairly cloudy deep golden orange color with a heck of a frothy white head that leaves lots of lace on the way down. Smells of earthy fresh cut wood, woody hops and a hint of cardboard. There's a malty bready component deep underneath, but its subtle at best. Really it smells like fresh cut wet wood. Taste is spicy and woody with bits of bread and caramel. The hops are faint or maybe my palette has trouble tasting through the wood. Medium to light body with a moderate level of carbonation and a light almost watery mouthfeel. I love the out of the box thinking, but this is not my favorite result of that thinking. The fresh wood flavor and aroma is a bit intense and seems to overpower rather than enhance a great ipa like Jai Alai. (804 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle courtesy of PALMEJ1. Thanks again Jacob!

Pours a hazy dark golden orange/copper color with burnt orange hues when held to a light source and a frothy two finger yellowish beige head. Good retention, slowly fading into a lasting cap that coats the glass with chunks of soapy lacing.

The aroma of this beer is kind of odd with a blend of toasted oak, earthy hops and a buttery malt backbone. I'm not picking up much of the citrus and pine hop presence f the base beer. Those notes are only faint under the barrel character and the nose s dominated by oak and malt. Hints of caramel, wood, toffee, biscuit and butter.

Medium bodied with more of a hop forward presence than the aroma suggests. Dry and bitter with lots of resinous, earthy pine flavor. The white oak presence is very prominent adding more dryness and a toasted wood flavor that takes away from the sweeter tropical/citrus notes of the base beer. As a result, the malt backbone is stronger with hints of toffee, caramel and biscuit. The ABV is well masked making this beer pretty quaffable but t could use some more balance.

Overall, this was an interesting beer and the white oak barrel really changes the base beer, but it could use a bit of sweetness to balance things out. (1,254 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks goes out to cyrusthepup for this brew.

Pours a nice cloudy dark amber color, nice carbonation, HUGE thick foamy/creamy off-white head, with tons of very nice thick sticky lacing left behind. The nose is hoppy with some nice malt notes, citrus, oaky. The taste is sweet, hoppy, malty, with some nice oak notes, and citrus. Medium Body. This is one very tasty brew. (371 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle dated SEPT2011 poured in to Founder's Tulip glass.

A - Medium slightly cloudy orange/amber colour, translucent, with small amount of white head.

S - The oak is noticeable up front with massive fresh tropical fruit aromas of mango, peach and passion fruit. A balancing sweet caramel and toffee backbone is also present.

T - The oak hits the tongue first followed by a sweet caramel malt backbone and a subtle hop bitterness shows up in the finish and lingers slightly. Some citrus and tropical fruit notes are evident as well, mostly show up in the finish. Some mango notes really shine.

M - Medium body; light to moderate carbonation. The hop oils stick nicely to the tongue.

O - A little less oak would be nice but still an excellent beer. (753 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.1%

can into a pint glass. canned Jan 3rd 2014

pours a very dark rustic tan with a nice inch thick head. an aroma of lots of vanilla and oak and hops, nice! the taste is so awesome. oak at first but very mellow and it blends so well with the base beer, just super smooth and drinkable. mild bodied with good carbonation.

overall better than regular jai alai. love this beer! (372 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Received this "new to me" bottle from a fantastic trade with ohsaycanyoubeer. Big props Matthew!!

Poured into my HotD goblet.. hazed orange with a nice white head that leaves plenty of lacing.

Nose is oak, light toasty malt and lighter caramel, and a big sorta tangerine hoppiness.

Big and oaky.. pithy citrus zest.. a bit of vanilla for sure.. malts come out swinging but get carried away by the other flavors.. finishes with a fermented out toasty maltiness and a dry oak quality.

Body is big for a standard IPA.. but I generally get that from CC IPA's.

Nicely done... I would buy this pretty regularly if I had it available.

3.5/3.5/3.5/3.25/3.5

Thanks again Matthew!! (678 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 8/17/11
*From notes

-- A BIG thanks goes out to my CCB connect for this one. Cheers, Dave! --

A: An unfiltered golden amber that makes my jaw drop. An easy pour yields a Biblical three finger head and that epic CCB lacing.

S: Tannic, musty. Sweet wood and some authentic smoke. A good amount of juicy hop oil is there too, lingering on the backside.

T: Crisp wood. The hops play gracefully with the smokiness. At the same time, you've got the fresh hops pounding away on the tastebuds. It's extremely unique. It comes off quite like a splinter-laden California chard.

M: Masterful. Again, there's a wine-like tannin profile here that dries out from the start. The carbonation adds a lovely complexity to it, and the weight is spot-on.

O: Cigar City's White Oak Jai Alai is yet another home run in their Jai Alai series. It's got a lot going on from start to finish, and is one of the most interesting beers I've had in a while.

To those looking for a white wine-like hybrid, or simply a one of a kind AIPA, I highly recommend searching this one out. (1,099 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Half inch off white head on a small sediment filled light ruby red body. Great lacing and head retention.

Earthy hops, wood.

Well balanced hops and malt profile. Does have a oaky essence to it. Wouldn't peg this at 7.5%abv as it drinks smaller than that.

Medium mouthfeel, lower end of carbonation for an ipa.

A good not great ipa. Unique with drinkability. Oak adds another layer onto an already above average ipa. Thanks egrace84. (436 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%

Burnished, dark gold color, smallish head with nicely clinging lacing. Very boozy in the nose..that continues in the mouth. The taste is a powerful mix of booziness and hop bitterness. Full, creamy mouthfeel that's one of the beer's best assets. Not very drinkable, just too boozy and rich. Interesting beer but not a favorite, certainly very untypical for an IPA. Reminded me more of an American barleywine than anything else.

I'm not digging the CC beers very much so far..maybe because, while they ARE available in the NE, I keep drinking them in the sweltering Florida heat. Maduro Brown and this one: not very satisfying when its 90 out and super humid. (660 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Thanks to BA Dopplebockukus for this one. Poured into 9oz pilsener glass. Poured a clean, clear golden amber color with under a half-inch of just off-white head that had low retention and moderate lacing.

The aroma was solidly oak. Dominatingly so. Some mild citrus hops showed through, but no malt. On the tongue, the beer was even more woody. This must be what Labrador Retrievers taste on their tongues during a vigorous session of fetch. There was just a bit of malt in the flavors, some citrus hops at the back of the tongue, but a whole lumber yard of Oak all across the tastebuds.

The body was fairly typical for the style, but did have a nicely dry finish. Drinkability suffered from the overt timber flavor, I had a hard time finishing one 12oz bottle (my tongue got bored), and I couldn't see having multiples at a time. Overall, an interesting beer, one that's probably worth a shot if you're interested, but I'd like to see the wood dialed back a bit. (965 characters)

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: dark orange hue with a moderate haze and tons of little floaties. There also appears to be a moderately strong effervescence. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam. Pretty attractive!

Smell: the sweet & citrusy hops combine with the vanilla and oak character create something that's enticing but hard to categorize. At first my nose said diacetyl, but it's somehow got the same initial piercing character without the nasty fake butter character. I'm also getting notes of peppermint ... wtf? Fascinating, to be sure!

Taste: kind of like the aroma, a bizarre mélange of citrusy hops, woody vanilla and rich, sweet malt. It's muddled, but the flavors really work well together. Weird, but it actually works.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good, rich smoothness and a good level of creaminess, especially for an IPA. I like it.

Overall: while I wouldn't call this a super-drinkable beer, it is very flavorful and is a very satisfying quaff. Kind of a weird animal, it's definitely worth a try if you have a chance. (1,077 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the legendary woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, some citrus. Taste is hoppy, bitter, some oak and citrus, not bad, but I prefer the traditional Jai Alai. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer, but I was just a bit underwhelmed. (351 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a Cigar City tulip glass. Pours a clear golden amber color with an off-white head with great retention and lacing.

S- The aroma is nothing short of amazing. There is a lot of tropical fruits and citrus notes from the hops with some of the woody/oak notes from the White Oak treatment. What a fantastic aroma, I could smell this all day long.

T- The taste like the aroma is filled with delicious hops flavors. There is some malt up front with a little oak in the background and a nice amount of bitterness from the hops in the finish. Just picked these bottles up from the brewery a couple of days ago, these taste super fresh!

M- The mouthfeel is between light and medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, White Oak Jai Alai is one of my favorite beers from CCB. I tried it on-tap when it was first released but I'm glad they are now bottling it. (900 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.2%

Taken from notes on 3.30.11

12oz bottle poured in a pint glass.

A - Pours a cloudy dark orange with a thick creamy head. Good lacing left on the glass.

S - The wood is very strong here, boozy, citrus, and slightly floral.

T - A burnt-like citrus, wood flavor.

D - Very smooth and silky. (291 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +3.4%

Growler shared by Lee - much obliged!

Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smooth pale malts with good amounts of pine and citrus hops. Also present are mild amounts of vanilla aromas.

Tastes very similar to how it smells. Pale malts with hints of darker caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by bright citrus hop flavors. Midway through the sip the hop flavors fill out a bit with the addition of pine flavors and shortly thereafter vanilla flavors make an appearance. The vanilla flavors carry through to a solidly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was a very nice example of an oak-aged beer - the influences were subtle but undoubtedly there. Well worth a shot. (966 characters)

12oz Bottle from Rollin Oats Market Tampa FL for 3$

Appearance - Hazy copper with an average size fizzy off-white coloured head. It's too hazy to make out the amount of carbonation showing and there is some great lacing. The head lasted for around 3 minutes.

Smell - Hops, malts, caramel/butterscotch, pineapple

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel/butterscotch, malts, and hops. There is also some grapefruit and some pineapple mixed with a hint of vanilla and oak. It ends with a malty sweet and slight bitter aftertaste.

Overall – Couldn't find a date on my bottle, but it didn't have as much of an Oak aspect as I was expecting. Still a very good beer that has a lot of interesting flavours going on. I tried their Cedar aged version as well, and the wood was very prominent with that one. (844 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Bottle was, oddly enough, a slow gusher. Thanks to this sediment was stirred up and so the brew, while a nice hazy orange is just full of sediment and yeast on the bottom. Nice half a finger head that just doesnt quit and leaves light side lacing. Quite nice head retention.

S - Wow, very un IPA like. Lots of fruit...was this new oak? Light pear and white grape skins. Light citrus hops, musty (almost like a wild). Pretty unique smelling.

T - Again, fun. Get lots of white grape skin/tanins, light malt sweetness and a lightly bitter hop finish. Lots of lingering oak on the finish along with hints of vanilla. Faint grape and pear juice on the finish as well.

M - Mouthfeel boarders on aggressively carbonated yet somehow smooth finish.

O - So yeah, I really, REALLY like barrel aged IPAs. The fun notes they bring to the table definitely freshens up the pallet. I dig it. (948 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

Aromas begin with a nice balance of pine, citrus and grapefruit. Then you get the nice subtle woodiness from the oak, but it much lighter than you would expect from an oaked IPA, maybe white oak is lighter in char and adds a more subtle aroma, either way, it's nice. Subtle sweet maltiness throughout.
The tastes begin nice and balanced but quite complex with sweet maltiness immediately joined by a nice grapefruit and pine and citrus bitterness/flavor profile. The nice sublte woody earthy flavors join the party as well only adding to the enjoyment here. Oaked IPAs are a rare and hard style to make but Cigar City has it on lock-down.
Mouthfeel is medium to full with ample carbonation. The finish is mildly sticky from the ample dry-hopping, really way too drinkable of a beer for how complex the flavor profile is. Overall this is stupendous, just as good as I remember when I was first wowed with this beer on draft last year. Glad it made it to bottles and to luekensliquors.com so I was able to order a boat ton of this gem. Highly recommended. (1,053 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle drank from my Darkness glass, given to me by Mike...Pours a medium copper with an orange tint. An off white head rises about a finger, settles quickly to a decent soapy head with good retention...The aroma is sweet caramel on the front with tons of fresh oak that is also pretty sweet, its lots of wood but I'm liking it, shockingly...The taste sadly doesn't translate as well. Its all wood and in a bad way, might as well be licking a fresh piece of wood, way to similar to cigar series ipa which was all cedar closet...The feel is good, sticky pine and tannic, a very interesting sensation.

Another failed Cigar City wood beer. Skip this. (653 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing