Jai Alai IPA - White Oak - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

Beer added by: tpd975 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 366 | Hads: 1,690
4.75/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a can, dated 09/09/14 into my tulip. Pours a clear golden copperish orange color, thick 2 fingers of tan colored head. Great lacing as the head slowly falls. Has an earthy aroma and maybe some intense tropical fruits. The taste is totally different in a good way. A little tropical fruit when I first sip, but then then white oak really shines thru! The flavor really transforms into this woodsy, vanilla toffee ale that's just fantastic. Very easy to drink, and no noticeable alcohol burn. A damn fine example of a wood aged IPA, one. Of the best I've tasted actually. Cheers! (589 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.7%

I am very lucky to have two uncles who live about twenty minutes away from Cigar City and they happened to be coming home to Cleveland and surprised me with a growler of this beer! I told them that I love stouts and IPA's so I was very happy when they pulled this out of the cooler!

I poured part of the growler into my DFH snifter to find a nice golden amber body with a nice one inch white head. The aroma was prominent with the citrus and oak with hints of the hops.

The taste is excellent, I'm pretty sure that this is the first Oak Aged IPA that I have ever had and I was very surprised. The citrus notes hit you first with some malts in the middle and hints of the oak at the end. This is another example of several different flavor profiles blended together so well. There is also some nice hints of sweetness in there that leave you wanting to drink more. This medium body beer was easy to drink and I easily put down the mini 32oz growler with ease.

Overall a great IPA and I really enjoyed sitting on the deck tonight enjoying this beer and I hope with my uncle living in the area that I get more great beers from Cigar City every time he comes home! (1,165 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8%

A slightly hazy ruby red amber with a finger of fluffy foam poured into my tulip. Nose reveals a touch of sweet strawberry, blood orange, creamy vanilla and custard filled pastry. Tasty is creamy and refreshing with a light hop bite as well as a touch of tannins from the oak the the finish. The taste is nearly as complex as the nose but does have some red fruit along with bitter citrus peel and a nice dry malt taste. Very nice ipa and easily drinkable as well. (464 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.9%

Many thanks to BPreston for the chance to try this one. CCB doesn't dissapoint here- another solid gold beer.

Poured into my Dfh snifter- nearly opaque dark orange color with crazy head that fills to the top of the glass, and stays around forever. Crazy great retention. 2 feet away I can smell the coconut grapefruit scent coming off this bottle- major tropic fruit scents. Taste- blood orange fruit, coconut, lemon citrus, breads malt flavor. Wow! The tropical sour flavors hit the back of the palate last, minutes after the taste. I can still smell the coconut scent.

Mouthfeel- creamy smooth mouthfeel, this gets better and better.

Drinkability- only issue here is to keep myself from drinking this all day every day.

I'll say it....this is the best IPA I have ever had. (779 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this bottle in yet another incredible box from Palmej1. Thanks Jacob! 12oz bottle into my Brugges Zot chalice.

The beer pours an appealing copper color with a finger of white foam. The head recedes leaving a thin white coaster and some very nice lacing. I can smell the wood in this beer immediately, sweet biscuity malt and citrus hops round out the nose. The taste is an initial blast of bitter citrus. Orange, pineapple and mango dominate. The malt profile provides a nice sugar cookie backbone, but the hops are showcased here. The oak persists throughout, however, and while it is initially interesting, I think that after awhile it takes away from the experience. Feel is medium bodied with a high level of carbonation. As the beer warms it becomes creamier. Overall this was pretty good. I think I prefer my IPA without the wood though, as I like the regular version of Jai Alai better than this iteration. If you like your IPA with oak seek this out. (969 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.7%

Finishing up my last one. poured into a Duvel Tulip.

a:decent off-white head with pretty good retention. reddish amber body. some lacing

s: this is why i put it in the tulip. when i was at the brewery, they opened up and threw down 4 of these bottles on the crate. little did i know of the surprise that was in store: i took a sniff and i was blown away! it was only then did i notice that it was the white oak aged jai alai. so glad that i was exposed to it cause i didn't even notice it was on sale either and probably would've bypassed it completely. i really could smell this all day. if it was a shampoo, i would make sure my gf used this constantly. the white oak completely takes the nose to the next level, it starts with the hop cirtus sweetness and notches it all the way up to pineapple as well as giving it a bit of a coconut-y and vanilla vibe. as SpeedwayJim mentioned, it's like a pina coloda... with a few trees around. not the most complex but just very pleasant.

t:sugary sweet with sweet fruits and citrus. a bit of piney hop bitterness lingering on the back. doesn't quite live up to the nose but still very nice. The White Oak certainly kicks the hops down a notch, which could be bad as it is an IPA and that's what most are looking for.

m: moderate carbonation, medium body. as expected for an ipa aged on oak.

d: very tasty but u cant really drink too many of these i think. not really a session as much as a special treat.

the fact that i first had this while in the cigar city brewery and that it was so unexpected may have bumped this a bit higher, but i really enjoyed the few, really fresh bottles i had of this. (1,647 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Really great beer. Finally got some to try some of this. My can is only 7 days old. Man it doesn't get much more fresh then this.

Can't say I prefer this to reg Jai Alai but it does stand up there. (199 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -19.6%

Received as an extra in a trade with brewpaab. Thank you! I have had regular Jai Alai which I think is amazing and the Humidor series which I also really enjoy. Poured into my Fantome Tulip.

50th Review for me!

Appearance: Pours a beautiful orange color with a light tan uncontrollable tow and a half finger head. Extremely active carbonation and the head keeps building, over three fingers now. This is one of the most active beers I have ever poured, and definitely the most active in this style. Starting to get a little bit annoying, maybe I should have used a more open glass.

Smell: The smell of cut oak hits me immediately. I love that smell. Some nice citrusy fruity notes follow.

Taste: Going to be a while before I get the chance to taste this beer. Everything is blended very well in the taste, most things are not too distinguishable from one another. The bitterness shows up a little bit on the back end. I feel the oaking of this beer has made it too smooth, no bite that I like in my IPAs and the fruity bouquet of flavors present in the original is almost lost to the oak in this version.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy for an IPA, carbonation has calmed down after the head dissipated, I wouldnt call it flat but would appreciate more carbonation.

Overall: Not a huge fan of this one. I feel that oak is a very hard flavor to successfully incorporate into an IPA, I do not Jai Alai is very well suited for the overbearing flavor of oak. I love the original, just not the oakiness. (1,500 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured into a pint glass pours a simply impressive two finger fluffy head that leaves some serious lace on the glass, pale yellow in color with heavy little carbonation bubbles, you can't make a beer look any better. Smell is pretty funky nothing like I have smelled before, possibly oak wood fragrance with a sweet undertones of perfume. Taste is just like smell, this has a bready funky earth taste to it, hops up front with a tangy earth wood taste towards the finish with a hop bitterness towards the end. Overall a simply different and strange tasting brew and I simply enjoyed it outstanding. (598 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +7%

A= Light amber color nice foamy head, with lots of lacing.

S= I had the regular Jai Alai right before this one and that one didn't have much of a nose. This one however has a real powerful nose smells like tropical fruit and vanilla really stand out you also smell the oak in this one.

T= The taste is very nice really like this one the oak blends well with the hops and the vanilla really good.

M= Medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

D= Really nicely done haven't had a IPA like this one really like the oak tasted nice. Went down smooth would love to get more of this one.

T= (583 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had the fortune of grabbing a four pack while in Ellenton, FL for a very quick trip there. Thanks to fellow BA members for recommending this brewery to me.

The look is a cloudy pale amber with short white head. It doesn't look like most of the IPAs I've had, and that is a good thing. Overall it has an attractive appearance.

Smell is excellent right off the bat. It is sweet, woody, and layered with a nice floral hop quality.

Taste follows the aroma nicely. Malt and hops are well balanced, with perhaps just a hint of grapefruit in the mix, leaving a touch of nectar in the finish without being overly sweet.

The tongue draws in a medium amount of sparkle, followed by a smooth swallow. Only a touch a dryness resides in the finish.

Although I enjoy good IPAs, they aren't typically my favorite style. That said, this is perhaps the best IPA I have ever had, and I'm glad I have three more to get me through until xmas (assuming they last that long). (963 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Bottle Date: 15 Aug 2012. Review Date: 21 Aug 2012.

A: Fluffy white head on a copper body

S: Sweet bitter citrus hops, oak, smoke.

T: really sweet and smooth, the hoppy taste is well-tempered by the oak treatment. smokey on the back end.

M: Medium with low carbonation. At first, i thought more carb would help the beer, but as i drink it i feel like the low carb and decent weight help the taste come through.

O: Fantastic. I will be having this plenty as long as they can keep it in stock! I would recommend seeking this out or trading for it. Definitely on par with the best of them. Much better than the untreated jai alai, not that the untreated version was bad at all. (683 characters)

Appearance:

Upon pulling off the cap, I only noticed a slight amount of hissing coming from the tiny 12oz bottle neck. I poured this into my English Imperial pint glass and was left with a surprising three finger thick tan head that slowly diminished to just a trace after a few moments. As I hold my glass up to the light there is a deep amber appearance almost a toast color with some haziness. On the swirl there is a decent amount of lacing that is slowly creeping down the walls of my glass.

Smell:

Right off the start something reminds me of a Orange Julius. Very bright citrus with some creamy undertones and a huge nose of wood pencils. I am guessing the creamy smells come from the wood which can impart vanilla.

Taste:

Oranges are front and center here with lots of woody earthy notes that blend together very well. Very clean and fresh tasting with tropical fruits, vanilla, and Chinese food duck sauce. A delicious long finish that is semi-sweet and makes me keep coming back for more. This is a nice spin on a old beer good job CCB. (1,050 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into my over sized Founder's snifter.

Liquid is a cloudy amber with a fingers width of off white head. I let it settle a bit before I sniff. A good amount of lacing helplessly clings to my glass. Pleasant smelling. Tropical foot with a wood kick. A huge whiff of stone fruit that is quickly beaten down by a cedar stick. Quite interesting. Wood dominates my palate. Stone fruit slowly follows. The caramel of the malt is in there but the supporting role is very small. A nice hop bite rounds out the sip. The aftertaste is so damn satisfying I pause long in between sips. The carbonation is dialed right in.

If I had more there would be a pile of bottles next to my kitchen sink. This is a winner. (707 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled at the Cigar City Brewery less than a week ago, thanks to my great friends in Florida! 12oz bottle poured into a Snifter.

A: Color is amber gold, head recedes quickly and leaves a little bit of lacing.

S: Here is where this beer dominates. Heavy aromas of grapefruit, oak/wood, citrus, and hints of pineapple, peaches, and coconut. Amazing, i can't wait to indulge.

T: Very nice. All that comes through in the smell translates beautifully in the taste. Lots of grapefruit, well balanced, and the oak adds a one-of-a-kind complexity to this beer.

M: Light carbonation, smooth and light, very drinkable.

O: I am pretty wowed by this beer, never had an IPA with all these tropical flavors. So damn good. (713 characters)

4.02/5  rDev -2.7%

Orange with copper hues, off white thick head and tons of lacing. Big nose brings tropical and citrus notes and a vanilla to the backbone. Taste follows through with sweet tropical fruit, mango, orange, grapefruit and a vanilla cloak wraps it together and rounds off the bitter edge. Medium feel, little sticky on the feel and semi dry finish. Interesting new dynamic to these IPA flavors. (393 characters)

Poured into pint glass (Sept. 2011 bottling).

Appearance: Amber, slightly darker than the regular Jai Alai. It has the same thick off white head that fades slowly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: Lots of oak, vanilla, sweet, hardly any hops.

Taste: Lots of oak, vanilla, leather, subtle hoppiness and a bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation, smooth.

Overall: A good, very drinkable beer. The IPA is almost completely overwhelmed by the oak. Not what I was expecting, but pleasantly surprised. (512 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +20.3%

First beer review, here it goes.

Poured out of a bottle into a DFH Signature glass on 12/3/10. 3 White Oak Jai Alai's were part of a lovely birthday mixed six pack--which also included my first PtE, a Founders' Devil Dancer, and a Burton Baton--from my good friend and brahim Moses Mendoza.

Hazy orange/copper hue with a fluffy, pillowy tan two-finger head that subsides to a nice crown with decent lacing. This beer is murky and colorful.

The smell really stands out as absolutely unique. Tropical fruits dominated by mango and coconut are the predominant. Vanilla, wood, and citrusy hops are in there, though more subtle. I've really never smelled a beer like this before, and I didn't expect it to smell like this. It's almost like a hoppy Pina Colada.

The strong bitter hop presence kicks off the first sip, fairly aggressive and similar to the regular Jai Alai. The beer departs from the original version as the bitterness mellows out through the sip into more of the tropical fruit, again dominated by mango and coconut. It's quite different than other IPAs dominated by the citrusy/grapefruit hops like Sculpin, Racer 5, Maharaja, etc, and it's a nice change of pace for an IPA. The vanilla is there, and the wood comes through subtly. It's not overpowering like some other wood aged stuff I've had recently.

Mouthfeel is the perfect balance between a good amount of carbonation up front and a smooth velvety finish. This is how beer should feel when it's all up in your face.

I could drink a 6-pack of these...the fruity flavors just mellow out that heavy hop bitterness of the regular Jai Alai so nicely. This is an extremely unique offering, one that should not be missed if you have an opportunity to lay your hands on some. This is a flat out fantastic beer that's true strength lies in the fact that you've never tasted anything quite like it. It surprises you, pleasantly. (1,898 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz into a DFH Signature Glass.

Pours a hazy deep orange. Throws up a giant 3 inch head with nice retention and great lacing. Aroma is sweet citrus hops and lovely wood. Taste follows, with the oak taking center stage. I love what the guys down in Tampa are doing with Jai Alai. This beer is their canvas, and every iteration I have been lucky enough to try is a masterpiece. (378 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light bronze in color with minimal head thT dissipates to a fine lace after a few sips. Nose shows a bit of fruity sweetness with subtle hop notes. Taste is citrusy, maybe fruity pebbles, with a surprising lack of wood flavor. However the wood manifests itself with a dry finish. Very refreshing and drinkable. (314 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours a deep hazy red orange color with one finger of off white head. Looks a little darker than regular Jai Alai. The smell is stifled it seems, it's not coming off as very aromatic, which is unexpected. A slight hop presence with something like fresh cut wet wood coming through very faintly. Maybe a bit of vanilla.

Glug glug glug

The oaky flavor is complex, with wood, vanilla, crème, meshing with typical big IPA flavors like bitter grapefruit, orange, and herbal resin. Coconut and maybe at the very initial contact between beer and tongue, something like mango too. Overall a very interesting beer that could use a bit less of the oaky aspect but it does taste fresh and 'real' if that makes since. At least compared to other oak IPAs. The flavor is a bit big and complex for great drinkability but this is mostly just great beer. Mouth feel is fine. (871 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Fantastic aroma - a great blend of barrel and dank hoppiness. Oaky vanilla and coconut come out strongly - great organic woodiness. The citrus and pine comes through and really blend well with the oak. The taste is more bitter than the nose suggesteed with grapefruit being the prominent flavor. The oak is very smooth - vanilla.

Awesome oak aged IPA - takes the base up a notch (380 characters)

3.97/5  rDev -3.9%

Aroma:Sweet cotton candy, subtle fruit, oak in the nose.

Appearance:A deep shade of amber, nice white fluffy head, good retention.

Taste:Lots of oak on the first sip, along with some great candylike sweetness. A fair amount of bittering hops, but the specific hop flavors are hidden with all of that oak. There is a very slight tart flavor on the foretaste too. The oak lingers long into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:This beer has a refreshing bite to it, great carbonation.

Drinkability:This is a great alternative to your average IPA, very unique in flavor. (560 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12.6%

Had this on tap at CCB. Definitely my favorite thing I had there... and I was a big fan of the Humidor IPA from a previous tasting, too. Just plain interesting. Where can I get some White Oak? Served in a shaker pint glass.

The beer has a creamy, inviting foamy head that just opens my eyes and waters my mouth. Heck yes. You can tell they put a lot of effort into clean glassware here... and since I'm getting it at the brewery, I feel like I can include that in the beer's score. The body itself is a slightly hazy, standard IPA. However, the head alone merits the 4.5.

The IPA was fruity as all get go... and that's how I love my IPAs. They said it was made with a blend of hops and dry hopped with Simcoe. Every one of them added to the smell and taste. It was a veritable mixture of fruits and succulent flavors. The oak itself provides a different kind of fruit flavor. This stuff is addictive and I keep loving every extra sip. In addition to the wonderful flavor, the mouthfeel is solid, but not mindblowing. This isn't exactly a Live Oak beer or anything... but it will do the job.

CCB's experimentation provides some hits and misses, but this hits all over the place. This may be my favorite standard IPA I've had and I'd jump at the chance to have it on tap again. (1,278 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%

A: Nice copper color with a two and a half finger soapy white head. Head dissipates fairly quickly

S: Tons of earthy hops. Maybe the earthiness is from the oak though because it's a whole different beast than normal jai alai. Still get a lot of that pineapple citrus kind of hops too though

T: Bit of citrus, some pine, then goes into a sweet bready kind of flavor.

M: Very well carbonated. Pretty thick for an IPA and pretty dry

Overall this was quite nice. I liked it much more than the normal Jai Alai IPA (512 characters)

Jai Alai IPA - White Oak from Cigar City Brewing