110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) - Cigar City Brewing

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series)
No picture uploaded.

pDev: n/a
Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

(Beer added by: cjgator3 on 08-08-2010)
Reviews by bernardus1212:
4.25/5  rDev n/a

Had this heavy hittin' IPA at the tasting room. I am a huge fan of the humidor series IPA and the 110k+OT Batch #3, so I was very excited to see the two cross paths. The beer was on tap, and poured into a 6oz snifter. Very dark orange color similar to the regular batch #3. Nice foamy white head wit hint of yellow shading. The smell was brilliant, Hops and tangerine, orange zest, then it hit you with the aromatic cedar. It was a very dense smell. The first sip was satisfying. I love me a super cold IPA. (With a little bit of spicy BBQ in front of me.) The taste had the cedar right of the bat. Then it went into the sweetness of the tangerine. It is definitely a beer that plays with your senses. Good show on this one. Picked up a growler of this one. I have had a good majority of the catalog at CC, this one is in my top 3

4.43/5  rDev n/a

I had this on-tap at the brewery last week, so I guess this is as good a time as any to finally type my notes from my phone.

Pours amber with minimal head. Nice looking.

Smells mostly of cedar with a good sweet citrus kick.

The tastes here are great. Pineapple, tangerine, and more citrus wrapped up in a cedar box. Great depth.

The feel is nice and creamy with a fully body, much like the regular version of this beer.

This is scary drinkable. The cedar plays well with the original concept of this beer. This is a good anytime beer, just watch out for the ABV.

3.25/5  rDev n/a

4.58/5  rDev n/a

one of the biggest changes i have seen in a ccb treatment for sure! the original next to this is like night and day. growler served cold and consumed on 08/30/2010.

wonderful rich amber pour with a nice small cap of white that floated on the top of the glass. nice retention and side lacing that wrapped it up very, very well.

aroma is huge cedar notes, totally dominate here with aromatic tobacco and sweet hops that come through as you let it breath. flavor again seems not as full as the original and much more balanced. huge cedar that just over runs the palate and leaves that wonderful flavor all over it. this is just totally transformed and wonderful.

overall night and day from the original, i was blown away by how good this was. soo drinkable and wonderfully rich. wow.

4.43/5  rDev n/a

On tap, poured into a snifter. Minimal head, resinous, oily, clear lacing. Aroma dominated by cedar. Intense, robust flavor, very dominant. Sweetness still dominating this offering, still barleywineish but the cedar has really mellowed this in a really interesting way, balancing it's sweetness with some spiciness.

1/5  rDev n/a

2.28/5  rDev n/a

While I usually like CCB brews, and have liked every Humidor treatment I have had to date, this one bucks the trend(s). The sweet aspects of the base have not been tempered by the cedar, on the contrary they seem to have been exacerbated to the point of cloying intrusion. With said flavor problems, the last thing this brew needs is a huge sticky mouthfeel, which it has in spades. This one misses on all marks.

4.05/5  rDev n/a

Growler via my CCB guy fogdog. Thanks Kevin.

Poured into my duvel tulip.

A: dark orange, half finger of off white head, soapy lace ring

S: As usual with the humidor series the cedar is on full blast. It took some getting used to but now that I've had a number of CCB's cedar aged beers I like it. Lots of citrus and pine mixed with loads of cedar chips.

T: The cedar is pretty much in your face from the first sip. Loads of bitter pine and citrus. The malt actually plays a big role blending a solid sweet backbone. Keeping this from being a tongue bruiser.

M: nice medium body with the lush creaminess I expect from all CCB brews. Moderate carbonation

D: Overall suprisingly drinkable for a cedar aged DIPA. I assume the abv is high since I'm feeling no pain after just two glasses.

4.13/5  rDev n/a

Was not a huge fan of the regular 110k as it was a bit too sweet for me. The humidor has done this one wonders.

A: Pours a nice copper orange with a tight white head. Pretty nice retention and some lace.

S: The sweet malt aromas are there. Hints of orange, honey, and tangerine. The cedar comes out in light spicy notes in the nose but does not dominate the tropical sweetness of the base beer.

T: The flavor is where the cedar really comes through. Wonderful rich spicy cedar in the same levels that takes Humidor IPA to the next level. The honey like sweetness is still there though. Mild sweet tropical fruits as well. A great improvement on the base beer. Really pulls things together to the point that I identify this one as a DIPA instead of a barleywine.

D: Rather good. I enjoyed two snifters, if I did not have to run I could of easily enjoyed one more.

Boy do I love what cedar does to these beers.

110K+OT Batch #3 - The Other West Coast IPA - Cedar Aged (Humidor Series) from Cigar City Brewing
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.