José Martí American Porter - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: mcallister on 08-11-2010

This is a heavily hopped high gravity porter featuring the hopping levels of an India Pale Ale with the rich and roasty malt profile of a robust porter. Heavy hop rates, while uncommon in today's porters were not unknown historically and recipes from the British porter producers of the 1800's evidence hopping rates far in excess of what is common for the style today.

3.59/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from November 2011 into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to vonschplieffen for this one.

A: Intense for a Porter, with a fully black body sitting placidly underneath two inches of dense, steady, meringue-like light-brown head that leaves tons of lace. Perfectly beautiful.

S: Spicy hops, chocolate malt, graham cracker, and a bit of vanilla. Pleasant, but not spectacular.

T: Hoppy up front, with both spice and pine notes; solid chocolate malt fills out the middle along with some caramel sweetness, and the finish delivers powerful bitterness, light coffee roastiness, and a touch of booze. Again, good but less than great.

M: Very frothy, with tons of carbonation overwhelming what seems like it might have been a medium body. Not as much heft as I'd like from an 8% beer, but still pleasantly creamy.

O: I feel like this might have been a pretty solid Black IPA if it were really fresh, but after 5 months the hops are present more in their bitterness and spiciness than in terms of any distinctive flavors or aromas. It's an enjoyable beer, but I was expecting more.

Cheers! (1,086 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this at the CCB tasting at cervezas. It was the only beer I picked blindly and out of my style preference.

Dark, oil like color with a very thick tan head. Amazing retention and some lacing.

Aroma is burnt/roasted malts, lots of coffee and some woodiness.

I enjoyed this beer for the most part. Very deep roasted flavors, coffee, some smoke... the bitterness made it my least favorite beer of the night.

Dry medium body, but that bitterness stuck around...

But that's just, like, my opinion, man. (508 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Mucho thanks to nerdrocker101 for the bottle. High-five!

Appearance -- Rich dark brown with mahogany highlights and a creamy mocha brown head that just won't quit and a thick drape of lace. Handsome.

Smell -- Lots of pine-like hoppiness, plus roast malt, leather, anise, some cocoa and coffee. Really hop-forward with that leathery fermentation character. Pleasant, not detracting, but doesn't really blow my hair back.

Taste -- A very hop-forward porter as the name suggests with lots of pine sap bitterness. Roast malt flavors bring to mind iced coffee and cocoa. Additionally there's some pronounced leather and anise notes - both of which might just be the fermentation character commingling with the intense hops, but that's one non-brewer's opinion. Lingering flavors of pine boughs and dark roast.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with soft fluffy carbonation. Slightly slick. Feels like a nice American Imperial Stout - works well for this as well.

Overall -- Well-done, but somehow it didn't come together for me. The hoppy/leathery interplay seemed to dominate and it wore on my palate. Additionally, the hops seemed to mute a lot of the complexity. I prefer Avery's New World Porter for this particular style sub-catetory. Jose Marti is still enjoyable, though. If you have it available to you, I'd suggest that you at least try it. (1,348 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Bell's Pint Glass. Couldn't find a bottle date anywhere on the bottle.

Pours a very dark, dark brown, almost black, but light is able to pierce through the beer a tad showing off its brown color. A small tan head forms and spreads out to the sides of the glass leaving a nice lace around the brim of the glass. This beer smells of coffee and sweet chocolate. I gather small notes of char, like this is a smoked porter. Taste is hoppy, grassy, with an after taste of chocolate and coffee. The taste doesn't seem to be quite in line with the smell. Mouthful is on the thin side and beer seems to be well carbonated. Overall another good beer from CCB. This porter ranks in between the 1st and 2nd tier of its class. (743 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottled 20DEC11

Pours a pretty brown/black with a slow falling finger of latte foam. Nice lace. Smells of grass, mint, resin, cold coffee and dry malts. Bitter up front with a kick of dry, porter malts and a woody toasted malt finish. The flavor is progressive and fun. Medium bodied with a little higher carb than preferred for the style and a hint of dryness on the finish (which is nice). A good beer from my standpoint. The nose is a little meh, but the hops are not overdone, and that was a fear. They have done a decent job walking the line between ABA and Porter. (571 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad!

Cultivo Una Rosa Blanca
Por Jose Marti

Cultivo una rosa blanca
En julio como en enero,
Para el amigo sincero
Que me da su mano franca.

Y para el cruel que me arranca
El corazon con que vivo,
Cardo ni ortiga cultivo,
Cultivo una rosa blanca.

A: This beer, named in honor of a Cuban national hero, appears a dark brown hue. There is a nice, thick beige head that leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

S: Aromas include slightly sweetened malts, cigar smoke, tobacco.

T: The beer tastes good, but not great. I am enjoying the smokiness of the beer, but overall, find it a bit too sweet for my liking.

M: The alcohol could be disguised better. The body is medium-thin with a solid carbonation level.

D: An interesting beer. Even though it's a 12 oz. bottle, I found it optimal for sharing a few ways. (854 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I just scored a bottle of this at The Fridge a couple of days ago and I am between IPA reviews right now, so I figured that this might make a nice bridge between Founders Centennial and Cigar City's Jai Alai White Oak Aged. We shall see.

From the bottle: "A grain of poetry suffices to season a century. - Jose Marti"; "I wish to leave the world/By its natural door:/In my tomb of green leaves/They are to carry me to die./Do not put me in the dark/To die like a traitor:/I am good, and like a good thing/I will die with my face to the sun[.] "A Morir [To Die] (1894)".

Wow, poetry incorporated with beer?!? I am both stunned and ecstatic! I have become immersed in poetry since becoming a high school English teacher over a decade ago, but usually Bukowski goes with beer.

My initial, heavy handed pour resulted in a pseudo-cascade which created three fingers od dense, deep-brown head with great retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44) with garnet highlights. Nose smelled more of dark things - tar, charcoal, tobacco, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, leather than of hops, but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. My first sip filled my mouth with a big, thick dollop of dark chocolate pudding. No, I mean, beer, but it was like a Jell-O pudding cup and I thought about inviting Bill Cosby over to share this with him. It had a bitterness, to be sure, but it went more towards enhancing the coffee-like inherent bitterness than making it "American" in terms of its hops. I was reminded of the fact that I am not a fan of Black IPAs for almost the same reason. The dark malts get in the way of the hops, almost wasting the hops, as opposed to showcasing them. This was not quite as much of a turn-off for me, but I have also had Porters that I enjoyed much more. The finish was dry and bitter, but whether due to the malts, to the hops or a combination thereof, I could not discern. If they decide to CAN this beer, I will revisit it, but otherwise, this was a one-and-done. (2,000 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Always good to try another Cigar City offering.

Pours dark brown with a thin, quickly receding head. Typical porter look but I wouldn't describe it as robust. Smells more of dried fruit than your typical porter. Some hints of chocolate, cherries, malt, and a little smokiness. Taste is interesting, bittersweet chocolate and heavy on the dried fruits. Finishes with smoke, charcoal, and raisin. Nice flavor but definitely not a classic porter in the sense. Mouthfeel is thin and light bodied, very little carbonation. Soft on the palate. Overall another excellent CCB offering. I love everything this brewery produces and this one is no exception. (648 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a dark brown color with a finger of light tan head. Ok retention. Some lacing.

S- aromas of burnt caramel, dark chocolate and sweet roasty malts hit the nose at first. Finishes with a rather assertive leafy herbal hop character.

T- roasty malt and leafy herbal hop flavor hit the palate at first. Black strap molasses flavors in the middle with some sweet malt sugar notes. Finishes with a lingering hop bitterness and some dark chocolate flavors.

MF- slick sugary mouthfeel with a medium body and average carbonation.

D- good drinkability

overall a good hoppy porter. (582 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark dark brown, essentially opaque. Approximately one finger's worth of tan head, but it doesn't last. There are quite a lot of large, floating pieces of sediment here. Don't remember that from before, not sure it bodes well.

S: Coffee-roasted sweet malt aroma hides just a bit of pine hop smell.

T: After giving the beer several minutes for the mystery floaters to settle out, I find that the taste follows the nose well - heavy on the burnt coffee flavor, hop bitterness. Hints of cacao. A not-unpleasant bitterness hangs for a little while after the swallow.
UPDATE: I do find this better when fresh. The hop flavors are brighter, but blend better with the roastiness. Pine with some grassiness, and the roasty bitter blends with the hop bitter well.

M: Smooth, and more weight to the mouthfeel than many American Porters, which is a welcome variation to me. Alcohol extremely well-hidden.

O: This wasn't as good as I remember it. Not sure if something was wrong with the bottle that caused the precipitates, but the hop presence wasn't what I remembered. When I have a chance to pick up another bottle, I'll update the review. (1,181 characters)

3.71/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle courtesy of beerlando. Pours a nice rich dark brown with a fluffy 1 finger tan head with a mix of tiny and big bubbles. Head settles rather slowly and clings to the side of the glass. Good lace. Nice rich aroma of roast, dark chocolate, tobacco, and leather. Some sweetness in the nose as well. Rich mouthfeel, medium. The taste has several nice transitions starting with a sweet chocolate taste that moves to bitter leather and dark chocolate. Lingering bitterness. I like the taste but would rather not have the lingering bitterness. I guess it is suppose to be aggressively hopped though. Much hoppier than most porters I have had. I'm glad the hop taste was on purpose because I definitely would have knocked it for that had I not known. Pretty good but I do rather enjoy my porters a tad less hoppy. (811 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -8.4%

Out of a bottle. Thanks to BastionShaw for this one.

Pours a very deep shade of brown, but distinctly brown and not an abyss of black. About a half finger worth of head out of the bottle. The nose has a very powerful dark unsweetened chocolate punch to it, almost like I am smelling hot chocolate. The taste is almost nothing like the nose, instead it takes a turn to very roasted coffee. The coffee almost over powers the taste and leaves very little trace that this is actually a beer. The mouthfeel is almost like drinking cold coffee, kind of stings the tongue with bitterness. The bitterness is overwhelmingly the after taste.

Overall a decent beer, I don't think I would trade for it again though. I wish the dark chocolate came through more in the taste. (763 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very dark brown, a shade or two short of black. The tan head is a half-inch thick with only mild retention and lacing. Toasty malt and dark chocolate dominate the nose with only light traces of piney hops, mocha, toast and alcohol. The taste is led by bitter chocolate up front with some semi-sweet and toasted malt and caramel on the midpalate. For being labeled an India Porter, the hops are pretty light. The dry finish is even more bitter chocolate and mild coffee notes with very little alcohol presence. Medium-to-light bodied with slightly high carbonation for the style. The dry finish also has a very slight alcohol warming effect. Pretty drinkable for an 8% porter though the dryness and bitterness wear a bit on the palette. The moderate complexity keeps it interesting through the bottle. This one is worth a try and is a solid beer, but not one of CCB's standouts. (919 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour is black with tons of tight tan head and a thick lacing. Nose has a robust malt up front of milk chocolate and roasted malt. Aggressively hopped citrus behind and hop resin behind. Taste is heavier roast, still fairly rich and malty, some citrus hop and a hint of an herbal note. Silky smooth body with an assertive carbonation and a fairly dry chalky finish. (364 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%

Thanks to moose3285 for this, nestled amongst a gigantic bed of Cigar City goodness delivered directly to my door from the hand of a great BA. Cracked open on a Sunday night, when I usually am alcohol free. But what the hay.

Pours is black-tie dark, capped by seashore foam. Nose is a bit odd, hoppy, nutty, caramel, with just an undercurrent of...wierdity. Almost a sour undercurrent, but not quite. Can't put my finger on it.

Jose Marti harkens from a line I'm really beginning to enjoy, hoppy browns. This one has a nice melding of hops & malts, a wild combo that leaves my tongue tingling & bruised a bit, but smiling sweetly at the same time. Cigar City's trademark roast/char comes through like a linebacker; that's what I was smelling. It offsets oddly with the hops - not unpleasant, just odd. Hints of coffee. Hops fade quickly, & the char settles in on the end.

Creamy & full, impressive in the mouth, seeping into every nook & cranny, like whole milk, without the milk or the white color. Whip-smart on the drinkability, that rare porter that is both tasty, thick, & easy to down. That's good magic in there.

Good beer. Not sure the 'india' part quite works with the roast, it takes a while to tease it out & rationalize it, but ultimately, this is a smooth-drinking porter that smells not-quite-right. (1,321 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had a spikey hoppiness, a thin bodied pour brown colored. This was a little too hoppy/bitter for my taste in terms of porters, but I guess I should have just read the label. Interesting beer, wasn't a big fan of this though (223 characters)

12oz bottle into pint glass

A - Dark brown, lighter edging. A nice full bubbly head with good retention

S - Not a lot to go on here. Coffee, chocolate, pine and hazelnut

T - Nice chocolate flavour. Weaker coffee in the back but balanced well with the hops. It wasn't overly bitter and I was expecting a stronger hop presence since it is an "india porter". No idea why it would be called that.

M - Medium, drying, slight burn from the 8%

O - A strong porter. Not overly difficult to drink although you can tell the 8% ABV is not a lie. (540 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle served in a Unibroue snifter. Vigorous pour only yields a modest light tan head that dies down quickly. Decent lacing on the glass. Clear but very dark brown and essentially opaque in the glass.

Rich, complex aroma has dark chocolate notes over plenty of roasted malt and a suggestion of coffee grinds. A bit of piney/herbal hops lie in the background. The flavor displays a more intense roasted malt character, but the chocolate and hops have faded quite a bit. Some coffee in the mildly bitter and long-lasting aftertaste. Mildly marred by a bit too much burnt quality.

Mouthfeel: near full body with moderate carbonation levels. Slightly astringent up front and dry in the finish.

Overall: a very rich porter appropriately described as a "robustly hopped American porter" and properly classified as an Imperial porter. Higher ABV is fairly well hidden. (874 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

A -Pours black and light carbonation. slight lacing in glass.

S - Smells of raosted malt, chocolate, and coffee. Solid but not particularly standout.

T - Taste is similar to the smell. Sweet roasted malt and chocolate gives way to the bitterness of coffee. My issue is that it isn't as potent as other in the style.

M - Comes off as diluted/weak. Not bad but could easily be better.

D - Is a solid porter. Coudl drink a few of these.

Not bad, just that CCb has much better offerings. (488 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours with a tall very thick head. The body is deep and dark with light passing just at the edge of my glass.
Aroma is of roasted burnt malts with a bold slightly more pronounced hop smell.
The taste features a heavy ashen and roasted nearly burnt malt bill.
The hops themselvies aren't very pronounced. I thought they would be a bit more bolder. (346 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

Very dark brown color - nice tan ring of foam but very little lacing left on the glass. Aroma is very strong roasty malts with a nice hint of baking chocolate. Flavor is insanely more robust. Just massive flavors of roasted malts dominate through and through.

Well carbonated and very drinkable, especially considering the relatively high ABV.

I'd definitely drink more of this, but probably only one at a time due to the intense flavors present. (448 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Not surprisingly pours a dark brown/black with a white head.
S: Chocolate Malt and a hint of a fruit that I can't quite get my finger on. Overall not as strong of a smell as I would have liked however..
T: No surprise here: malt and chocolate but pretty well rounded. One of the better tasting porters I've had (I prefer their RIS cousins)
M: It's a bit thin for me. I prefer my dark beers with a little bit more body to them.
O: Overall its a decent brew and one I'd probably buy again. (490 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into wine glass.

Appearance: Very dark chocolate with moderate tan head.

Smell: Heavily roasted aroma with chocolate and coffee. Some bitter notes, with a hint of citrus.

Taste: Strong roasted backbone, with chocolate, coffee, char and burnt molasses. The hops are a mix of citrusy, floral and spicy notes. Finish is somewhat bitter, partially from the hops, but mostly from the slightly distracting burnt character.

Feel: Medium to full body that is fairly creamy with a nice dry finish. Carbonation is in check.

Overall: This is more-than-solid hoppy strong porter. Too bad the burnt notes take away from the hops and the core complexity of the roasted malts. (700 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle in pint glass (xmas in ft myers)
no date

A: Very dark brown, no light comes through but it is obviously brown vs. black. One finger cappuchino head that lingers and leaves a solid amount of lace as it drops.
S: Muted nose, some roast and some hoppy bitterness, nothing really jumps out.
T: Sharp roasted malts and citrus hops, a little bit of ash on the back. No sign of alcohol, kind of surprising since it is 8%.
M: Crisp, a little round, with a high level of carbonation.
O: I like this a lot, a very good robust porter. A very good beer, glad I tried it. I would buy again depending on the price. (613 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting courtesy of ygtbsm94; thanks Brad.

a - Pours a dark brown color with one inch of tan head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruit, vanilla, and a tiny hint of alcohol. Pretty nice and balanced.

t - Tastes of roasted malts, chocolate, and alcohol. A step down from the smell, and more alcohol.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation.

d - A pretty good porter I would drink again. Wish there was a little bit less alcohol in the taste and wish it had sonme of the vanill from the smell, but still pretty good. (603 characters)

José Martí American Porter from Cigar City Brewing