José Martí American Porter - Cigar City Brewing

José Martí American PorterJosé Martí American Porter

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

This is a heavily hopped high gravity porter featuring the hopping levels of an India Pale Ale with the rich and roasty malt profile of a robust porter. Heavy hop rates, while uncommon in today's porters were not unknown historically and recipes from the British porter producers of the 1800's evidence hopping rates far in excess of what is common for the style today.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 08-11-2010)

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 ouncer

A:dark like an espresso bean.

S:espresso,toffee,hops.

T:pretty much the same as smell.

M:chewy but smooth.

O:Very nice spin on a porter.I've never had a porter that was so hop forward.I really like the toffe and hop flavor I'm getting.I would deff drink again and would recommend if you like porters and IPA's.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

India Porter... hmm unique style.

Poured into ccb snifter.

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head. Color is a copper brown.

Aroma: A lot of earthy, piney hops with a massive amount of roast. It has some chocolate malt and some light citrus showing. Very odd aroma.

Taste: Wow, this thing is hoppy. So much pine mixed with roasted malts. Chocolate malt, some citrus. I just can't believe how hoppy it is. It is too roasted for me. It almost has a smoked nut flavor to it.

Mouthfeel: Bitter and robust. Very roasty. Medium body with a medium amount of carbonation. A bit of booze shows. Ends sticky and dry.

Overall, it was a unique concept, and the more I drank the more I like it. However, it was too roasted for me which took a lot away from the beer. Somewhat drinkable for me.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured into a Russian River glass on 8/24/11.

Pours a dark black with the slightest hints of cola brown when held to the light. A huge powdery mocha colored head spills into the glass, about three fingers of head. Dissipates very slowly leaving a moderate amount of thick lacing on the glass. Its a pretty color but the carbonation seems off.

Smells sweet roasted malt, mocha, raisins, and dark fruit. I do smell some of that citrus pine hop aroma and its really throwing me off.

Taste is much the same as the aroma and the hops are really throwing me off. It starts out nice with chocolate, and sweet malts and finishes a really confusing hoppy pine bitterness. Not a fan.

Mouthfeel is medium in weight and the pine resin sticks to the pallet leaving an odd bitterness for the style.

Overall this is a huge miss for me. I just can't get past the hop forward profiles in this. Nice to try but I will pass next time.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Three Floyds glass. It poured dark brown in color with a thin tan head covering the top. The head was small, but remained through drinking it as well as leaving some nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma has a lot of hoppiness to it. I get a citrusy, juicy aroma mixed with some chocolaty, porter flavors. It has a bit of a fruity, cherry like flavor to it as well. Very interesting aroma.

The taste shows off the hoppiness in it as well with some bold citrus flavors throughout the beer. I get some roasted and bitter chocolate flavors coming through as well. It's an interesting combination of flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, and moderately silky smooth. Carbonation is a little below average, but fits a porter pretty nicely. Overall, this was an interesting beer but not one of my favorites. It wasn't bad at all, but things needed to mesh better for me for it to be something outstanding.

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Brought a 32oz growler back from FL and drank it in July, also sampled a bottle tonight (Dec).

I have averaged the scores since the option to review multiple serving types is about to be sacked. Given my notes, there is a definite difference between the two samplings.

Growler (3 day old growler consumed 7/19/11):
A - Black with decent thickness for a porter. Tall sandy head, excellent lace. (4.5)

S - Green hops and a dry light dusting of some phenols. Bitter roast with a mild sweetness to it. (3.5)

T - Sweet, mild bakers chocolate. Quite hoppy with nice bitterness in the form of pine and some citrus. (4)

M - Very dry, moderate carbonation. (3)

O - Not bad at all. A nice take on an "India Porter." A bit sweet for the style, but I liked this as a balance to all of the hops. (3.5)
____

Bottle (stamped on the label is NOV 2011 EIGHT):
A - Seemed much less carbonated. Barely any head, no lace. (3)

S - Not phenolic at all, which allows more of the roast and chocolate to shine. Hops aren't as green. (4)

T - The hops are coming through as very bitter and provide a minty quality that I am finding more and more distracting. (3)

M - The "mintiness" and the alcohol are tickling/warming the back of my throat as if I chewed up a mint and then took a sip of cool water. Not entirely unpleasant, but worse off than the growler I had. Sticky, lingering palate coating effect. The first time I had this beer (growler) I never even noticed the abv, and thus never would have guessed this beer was 8%. This time I have no struggle in believing it. (2)

O - Still a solid beer, but fresh from the source on tap has got to be the way to go here. Also, who knows what type of batch variation a brewery like CCB sees? (3)

3.43/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes, 10/8/10. Poured into a tulip.

A: Dark brown color. The pour produced a big 2 finger head that left great lacing and retained well.

A: Smells of big roasted malts and earthy hops. Some light coffee and dark fruit are present as well.

T: Again, big roasted malt character. Some light coffee, figs, and dried cherries. Hops are rather prevelent and unexpected. Finishes sharp with a pretty noticable alcohol burn.

M: Creamy and smooth. Probably the best aspect of the brew. Good carbonation.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is on the lower side for me. Overall, I don't think this is one of CCB's best. Not a bad beer, I just thought the flavor profile was lacking. Was hoping for more. Skal.

3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours dark brown with minimal tan head. Nice lacing. Aroma is pine needle, grass, chocolate.

Taste is bitter, resin, dark chocolate, burnt coffee. Long bitter finish. Lots of carbonation here. A unique porter for sure. I'd never had a porter that was so hop forward; wasn't bad but wasn't something I had expected.

José Martí American Porter from Cigar City Brewing