2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

José Martí American Porter - Cigar City Brewing

José Martí American PorterJosé Martí American Porter

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

This is a heavily hopped high gravity porter featuring the hopping levels of an India Pale Ale with the rich and roasty malt profile of a robust porter. Heavy hop rates, while uncommon in today's porters were not unknown historically and recipes from the British porter producers of the 1800's evidence hopping rates far in excess of what is common for the style today.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 08-11-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 738 | Reviews: 246 | Show All Ratings:
CaptCleveland

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

Guest tap at Ft Pierce, FL, Sailfish brewing.

Dark brown to black elixir, tan head, thick lacing.

Caramel, molasses, chocolate, pine, earth.

Really comes through on the taste: smooth pine hops, mild char mixed with baker's chocolate.

Medium thick mouthfeel, smooth hop bitterness lingers, well carbonated.

Different take on the traditional porter I am accustomed to--GLBC's Eddy Fitz, but wonderful in its own right.

12-27-2013 02:18:36 | More by CaptCleveland
azorie

2.13/5  rDev -47.7%

A: sadly too cold out the tap, Standard in Florida. Its a dark brown ale, filtered, no cloudiness. no lacing or head period.
I give it a pass since its poured to the top of glass.

S: overpowering nose of smoke, cigars and some chocolate malt. no hops detected. as it warms up it gets no better, in fact it gets more smokey. I had and love Stone and Alaska smoked porters and this one is overkill.

T: Bitter sour smokey mess of a beer. Balanced hop to malt ratio, about all the good I can say for it. If I not paid 5 bucks for it , I might have just left it on the bar. YUCK. chalky which is surprising. Some chocolate in there, its just overpowered by the cigar bomb that went off in the brew barrel.

M: medium body, medium to low Carbonation

O: overall I never pay for one these again. and I had a few years ago version that did not seem so bad. This 1 is a drain pour sadly.

09-17-2011 15:01:59 | More by azorie
kylehay2004

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A: black. No light getting through. single finger head

S: toasted malt with dark chocolate and notes. Hops are mild but are there if you search for them.

T: roasty, nice stout. The typical stout taste but done very well. Very nice hop flavor. This is my first stout with this amount of hop flavor and it was excellent.

M: medium body, moderate carbonation and semi-dry finish.

Overall: Drinkable and the right amount of hop flavor with a solid stout background.

08-31-2011 02:22:40 | More by kylehay2004
olimpia84

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

This was my last beer of the night after visiting CCB for the first time with the pure intention of taking notes and write my reviews. Since it was my 6th or 7th beer I was pretty buzzed by then but I still did a good job of taking notes with care (I think).
Served on-tap into a pint glass.

A: pours a very dark brown color, opaque enough to not let anything through. One finger coffee colored head and decent lacing. I thought I was looking at a Stout for a second.

S: it was a bit hard at that point of the night for me to get something but I was able to get roasted and burnt malts with dark chocolate.

T: it starts out with a deep malty and sweet chocolate flavor and ends with a hoppy bitter pine-like taste. Pretty good.

M: medium to full body, moderate carbonation

O: another quality product from CCB. I can easily see myself going back to this one, highly recommended.

08-28-2011 15:10:55 | More by olimpia84
rel

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this at the CCB tasting at cervezas. It was the only beer I picked blindly and out of my style preference.

Dark, oil like color with a very thick tan head. Amazing retention and some lacing.

Aroma is burnt/roasted malts, lots of coffee and some woodiness.

I enjoyed this beer for the most part. Very deep roasted flavors, coffee, some smoke... the bitterness made it my least favorite beer of the night.

Dry medium body, but that bitterness stuck around...

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

08-25-2011 19:54:23 | More by rel
polisanl

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

On draft during CCB takeover at Coffee District. Watered down coffee in color with with 2 fingers worth of white foam. I was simply amazed by this brew, as I have never had or heard of the style. Tastes of hops at first, then the usual suspects of a porter emerge afterward. Smell is similar to taste, hoppiness and roasted malts. The name is so fitting. Thin bodied, carbonation throughout and very drinkable. Could be had all day like a session beer, but be aware of the creeping 8% ABV. Wonderful balance of both styles.

07-31-2011 18:20:28 | More by polisanl
ffejherb

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at Devil's Den on 6/3/11 for the Bella Vista Rare Beer event during Philly Beer Week.

A - Deep chestnut brown liquid with a creamy tan head that yielded some thin lacing around the glass.

S - Whoa! I went in expecting a hoppy porter, but instead I was greeted to a plethora of exotic Indian spices, with clove and cumin at the forefront, but also hints of tarragon, cinnamon, nutmeg and tarragon. Overall, the nose is quite fragrant with lots of floral, herbal and perfumy notes, as well as a hint of chocolate and mild bar soap.

T - Exotic spices mingle with dark chocolate and woody notes, giving this porter the flavor of spicy Indian cuisine with a touch of sweetness to counterbalance all of the heavy spices. Clove is definitely apparent, as well as cinnamon and nutmeg. Finishes with a hint of perfumy hop bitterness and cooling chocolate sweetness.

M - Medium bodied with a creamy mouthfeel soft texture. Finishes quite spicy with a hint of light bitterness on the palate.

D - This one really grew on me. At first, I was thrown off, because I thought the "India" referred to "hoppy" (akin to an IPA) and not the actual country itself. This was indeed a pleasant surprise. Leave it to Cigar City to come up with something like this. I'd love to try a cedar-aged version of this puppy!

06-06-2011 14:11:06 | More by ffejherb
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -12%

return trip after the Cigar City event night, enjoyed on tap at Rattle N Hum. Big head and a good porter, above average mouthfeel. A little towards the baltic porter or imperial porter. Average drinkability.Chocolate and roasted malts.Nice that "coffee" taste is in secondary.

03-06-2011 03:19:45 | More by Sammy
sisterray

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this on tap at the Ale and the Witch in downtown St. Pete.

I should preface this by saying that while I enjoy all different forms of beer, I don't find myself often loving Porters. Perhaps it's any easy style to mess up, but typically I find something just off enough to prevent my enjoyment from becoming full-fledged beer love.

I can love this Porter.

A: Deep brown. Tan head.

S: Freshly ground, fresh-brewed coffee. Bittersweet chocolate. Subtle earthy hops.

T: The coffee dominates, but the chocolate comes around to add a nice twist, and the hops peak through to add some spice.

M: Creamy, moderately thick, not overbearing. Provides a great template for the flavor and lingers nicely.

D: While 8.0% ABV is tame by some standards, you can get into trouble with this beer. It goes down so easy and calls you back. If I had the money and time to blow, I can see myself putting away a few pints of these.

02-01-2011 14:25:24 | More by sisterray
PorterLambic

2.85/5  rDev -30%

Three porters on tap? Love it!
Pours an extremely dark brown though dark red at the edges. Good head, tan colored with decent retention.
Smell is hops and very light malt.
Taste is hops first then light malt with a hint of coffee in the back.
Medium bodied with a light effervescence. Pretty good beer but way too hoppy for this malthead and the style. More of a DIPA vibe from it.

01-05-2011 03:08:27 | More by PorterLambic
BigBlacke

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

I just had this one on tap at Cigar City Brewery. A nice 1/2 inch light tan head that slowly dissipates to leace a nice ring. Smells of robust coffee and molasses. Taste is of toasty coffee and molasses with a fruity hop background. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, and drinkability is through the roof. Excellent porter in my opinion.

12-24-2010 16:59:30 | More by BigBlacke
Jefe73

4.68/5  rDev +15%

Cigar City José Martí - On tap at the Tasting Room poured into a pint glass. 8% abv.

A: Pours a midnight brown with an active, frothy cap of tan foam. Leaves behind a good amount of spotty lacing.

S: Roasted malt, a mixture of herbal hops and semi-sweet chocolate.

T: Dry, overly roasted malt,dark chocolate, spicy herbal hops and ash. Finishes with lingering roast and bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with lively moderate carbonation.

Dl: An exceptional porter. Roasty, chocolaty, hoppy.

12-17-2010 15:08:58 | More by Jefe73
tpd975

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Consumed this one numerous times both on draft and from the bottle.

A: Pours a nice rich deep black. Nice tall espresso like head that lasts and lasts. Nice thick lace all the way down the glass.

S: Wonderful roasted malt aromas with loads of chocolate and light coffee. The hops are there in a big way as well.

T: Wonderful rich roasted flavors. Wonderful chocolate balanced by equal amounts of bitter coffee. The roast is bold just shy of what I would call smokey. The hops are very earthy and green with a light citric undertone.

M: Medium in body, smooth, drinkable, with a bit of hoppy bite in the finish.

D: Great, I love this beer. Will miss it when it's gone.

09-15-2010 23:05:34 | More by tpd975
cpetrone84

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pour is black with tons of tight tan head and a thick lacing. Nose has a robust malt up front of milk chocolate and roasted malt. Aggressively hopped citrus behind and hop resin behind. Taste is heavier roast, still fairly rich and malty, some citrus hop and a hint of an herbal note. Silky smooth body with an assertive carbonation and a fairly dry chalky finish.

04-19-2014 23:39:44 | More by cpetrone84
portia99

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle (no date that I can find...definitely has a couple of months in my fridge on it minimum and I assume it was fresh when purchased) poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours so brown in the glass that it is almost black in color. Some mild translucence shows ample carbonation and a bit of floating particulate in the body of the beer. A nice one finger cap of densely bubbled foam of a deep tan color resides on top for a minute or so and slowly falls leaving behind some foamy lace on the glass.

S - Berry like fruity-ness with mild astringency on first smell followed by some charred, deep roasted malt, molasses and dark caramelized sugar, a bit of yeasty-ness and some grassy hops although hops are at a low level, especially for a "robustly hopped" porter.

T - Charcoal, burnt and a bit astringent with a lingering smokiness. Green, grassy hops - more assertive than in the aroma - but I still would not classify as robust. Lots of dark roasty flavors, touch of tobacco, burnt toast.

M - Medium body with a lowish medium carbonation that provides plenty of life but light on the tingly/prickly sensation in the mouth. Finely bubbled and smooth in feel. Mild caramelly sweetness. Lingering char/smokiness after the swallow.

O - Nice beer though not memorable. I could easily drink more of this without complaint. It just doesn't stand out as something special. Somewhere between a porter and a black IPA - probably more black IPA. Very drinkable - scary to think this is an 8% beer - really doesn't make the alcohol presence known at all.

04-17-2014 23:16:22 | More by portia99
gueuzedreg

Colorado

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Pitch black, translucent around the edges. Minimal lacing no legs.

S- Nice malty backbone, vanilla, toffee some dark fruit. Nice hop character. Def like this style

T- I am getting some vanilla, the malt backbone along with the big hop character.

M- Somewhat thick, perfect amount of carb

O- I love CCB. Great job again guys!

04-01-2014 22:21:02 | More by gueuzedreg
Kendo

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

Reviewed from notes following a FL vacation.

A: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. Body is dark brown with a half-finger tan head.

S: Pleasant porter nose - chocolate malt and roasted malt.

T: Roasted barley malt, chocolate malt and piney hops at the finish. Touch of coffee but it's not overwhelming.

M: Medium in heft, good carbonation and overall feel.

O: Good stuff. I had a bunch of Cigar City beers while in FL and this was one of my favorites.

03-06-2014 18:50:15 | More by Kendo
DMXLOX22

3.84/5  rDev -5.7%

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civerta's Deli in Drexel Hill, PA. Let's see how this matches up. Heard a few good things about it. Worth a try.

Appearance: Pours a dark, robust, stout-like, but perfect for a porter color and has some lacing that follows down. Not too bad. Quite inviting.

Smell: Caramel aromas are the first noticeable flavors. Some coffee and slight chocolate scents are the second in line. Very quaint aroma of citrus-y flavors. Not too bad. Kind of uninspiring.

Taste: Dark roasted malts are definitely the first noticeable. Coffee is also a quite strong flavor that helps to bring in the malts and a slight flavor of citrus. Dark chocolate rounds out the flavor department. Kind of typical of from the looks of it. Good, rounded out, well-balanced flavors, but nothing that grasps.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with a somewhat dry aftertaste. Medium carbonation.

Overall: Coming into this, I was really into it, but couldn't help but lose interest towards the end. Uninspiring like I said. Not a bad porter. Almost perfect introduction if your new to the category, but something I most likely wouldn't try again. Cheers!

02-09-2014 02:03:15 | More by DMXLOX22
woodychandler

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I just scored a bottle of this at The Fridge a couple of days ago and I am between IPA reviews right now, so I figured that this might make a nice bridge between Founders Centennial and Cigar City's Jai Alai White Oak Aged. We shall see.

From the bottle: "A grain of poetry suffices to season a century. - Jose Marti"; "I wish to leave the world/By its natural door:/In my tomb of green leaves/They are to carry me to die./Do not put me in the dark/To die like a traitor:/I am good, and like a good thing/I will die with my face to the sun[.] "A Morir [To Die] (1894)".

Wow, poetry incorporated with beer?!? I am both stunned and ecstatic! I have become immersed in poetry since becoming a high school English teacher over a decade ago, but usually Bukowski goes with beer.

My initial, heavy handed pour resulted in a pseudo-cascade which created three fingers od dense, deep-brown head with great retention. Color was a deep, dark-brown (SRM = 44) with garnet highlights. Nose smelled more of dark things - tar, charcoal, tobacco, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, leather than of hops, but the proof of the pudding is in the tasting. My first sip filled my mouth with a big, thick dollop of dark chocolate pudding. No, I mean, beer, but it was like a Jell-O pudding cup and I thought about inviting Bill Cosby over to share this with him. It had a bitterness, to be sure, but it went more towards enhancing the coffee-like inherent bitterness than making it "American" in terms of its hops. I was reminded of the fact that I am not a fan of Black IPAs for almost the same reason. The dark malts get in the way of the hops, almost wasting the hops, as opposed to showcasing them. This was not quite as much of a turn-off for me, but I have also had Porters that I enjoyed much more. The finish was dry and bitter, but whether due to the malts, to the hops or a combination thereof, I could not discern. If they decide to CAN this beer, I will revisit it, but otherwise, this was a one-and-done.

02-09-2014 00:39:41 | More by woodychandler
rlee1390

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

A-Black in the glass, clear brown when pouring. One finger off white head that leaves some lacing.

S-Roasted malt, chocolate, not much coffee or hop presence.

T-Roasted malt and chocolate, but the balance isn't exactly there. Slight coffee. Some hops that have an earthy tone.

M-Lighter to medium in body, a tad watery.

O-The beer isn't as fresh as it could have been, but still the balance wasn't were it should have been.

02-05-2014 02:37:55 | More by rlee1390
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

Deepest and darkest of browns this poured a significant head with moderate thickness and decent retention.

The nose has nice character with Graham Cracker, tobacco, chocolate malt, and a a spicy pepper.

The flavor takes the nose and amps it up. Huge chocolate and Graham Cracker mixes with peppery capsaicin and a soft tobacco.

The feel is properly full but dry and the higher ABV is disguised by the capsaicin heat.

This has a ton of personality and originality and I found this to be yet again a triumph for CC.

01-25-2014 23:35:01 | More by KYGunner
seavercm

Georgia

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Dark chocolate brown. Tan, creamy head that was somewhat thick but dissolved quickly.

Smell: A sweet combination of caramel, citrus hops and coffee. Every time I smelled it I picked up something different, which was also the case with the taste.

Taste: A rich malty caramel is quickly followed by citrus and hops. There was smoke, chocolate and some roasted/burnt notes. A lot going on here but it was very unique and balanced. Definitely not your typical porter.

Mouthfeel - Great carbonation, a little thick and sticky. Smooth and drinkable.

Overall: I'm actually not a fan of overly hoppy beers but really enjoyed this one. There are so many different flavors here yet its very enjoyable and quite drinkable. I really like how well the porter and hops played well together. Another solid outing from Cigar City.

01-24-2014 02:58:17 | More by seavercm
ItsMe

4.15/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Aggressively poured from a 12 oz bottle into the trusty ol' snifter.

Appearance - Two finger off white head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring of lacing. Nice alcohol legs sticking to the glass.

Smell - Huge roasted malts, lots of red wine, the earthiness of beets, and Oolong tea. The usual coffee/chocolate characteristics are in there somewhere, but not in the forefront.

Taste - HOPS! Nice bitterness upfront is met with a burnt/roasted malt characteristic. A nice coffee flavor near the back end with an almost smoky finish.

MF- Wow! This is my favorite part of this beer, in my humble opinion. It's so smooth and velvety. Medium body with a nice light carbonation.

Overall - This is my first offering from CCB and it did not disappoint. I feel like this would be the quintessential Porter for IPA fans.

01-09-2014 01:26:58 | More by ItsMe
JackMcAwesome

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured into a pint glass.

Look: A dark bottle with that shiny CCB label I'm coming to know and love. Pours a solid black that shows very little light through the glass. The head, with a moderately aggressive pour, was fairly thin. The lacing is almost non-existent. I'm always a a fan of lacing, just because it looks awesome, but at the end of the day, meh, who cares.

Smell: A very woody smell. like it's been aged in a barrel. (For all I know, it has.) The usual suspects show up here, cocoa, coffee and the like. Also a bit of "greeness" to it as well. Perhaps the hops the claim have robustly filled it? The smell unfortunately fell off quite a bit after the pour, so I wasn't able to pick up much else, or enjoy what I initially picked up.

Taste: BAMM! This packed a lot of punch. Again, I'm getting the "aged in a barrel" taste. Wood is there to go along with a strong cocoa presence. There's definitely something else there, I will assume it's the hops. It's making for an interesting combo. I wish I was a bit more refined so I could pick it out, but this is very great!

Feel: Medium bodied, light on the carbonation. The ABV is hidden quite well, and there isn't any heat at all. Which I kind of prefer, but with the added bitterness to it, makes me think this would be a perfect summer porter.

Overall: Very impressed with this offering. I like most of the CCB stuff, and figured this would be top notch as well, but it really surprised me, and could very well be my favorite porter. It kills me there stuff isn't more available. C'mon CCB, step it up. I want to roll into a store and buy a six of this any time I want. Otherwise, I just go with someone else.

01-03-2014 22:44:56 | More by JackMcAwesome
BubalooBrewMaster

Nevada

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 ouncer

A:dark like an espresso bean.

S:espresso,toffee,hops.

T:pretty much the same as smell.

M:chewy but smooth.

O:Very nice spin on a porter.I've never had a porter that was so hop forward.I really like the toffe and hop flavor I'm getting.I would deff drink again and would recommend if you like porters and IPA's.

01-03-2014 07:54:43 | More by BubalooBrewMaster