José Martí American Porter - Cigar City Brewing

José Martí American PorterJosé Martí American Porter

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

This is a heavily hopped high gravity porter featuring the hopping levels of an India Pale Ale with the rich and roasty malt profile of a robust porter. Heavy hop rates, while uncommon in today's porters were not unknown historically and recipes from the British porter producers of the 1800's evidence hopping rates far in excess of what is common for the style today.

(Beer added by: mcallister on 08-11-2010)

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Aggressively poured from a 12 oz bottle into the trusty ol' snifter.

Appearance - Two finger off white head that dissipates quickly into a thin ring of lacing. Nice alcohol legs sticking to the glass.

Smell - Huge roasted malts, lots of red wine, the earthiness of beets, and Oolong tea. The usual coffee/chocolate characteristics are in there somewhere, but not in the forefront.

Taste - HOPS! Nice bitterness upfront is met with a burnt/roasted malt characteristic. A nice coffee flavor near the back end with an almost smoky finish.

MF- Wow! This is my favorite part of this beer, in my humble opinion. It's so smooth and velvety. Medium body with a nice light carbonation.

Overall - This is my first offering from CCB and it did not disappoint. I feel like this would be the quintessential Porter for IPA fans.

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

Look: A dark bottle with that shiny CCB label I'm coming to know and love. Pours a solid black that shows very little light through the glass. The head, with a moderately aggressive pour, was fairly thin. The lacing is almost non-existent. I'm always a a fan of lacing, just because it looks awesome, but at the end of the day, meh, who cares.

Smell: A very woody smell. like it's been aged in a barrel. (For all I know, it has.) The usual suspects show up here, cocoa, coffee and the like. Also a bit of "greeness" to it as well. Perhaps the hops the claim have robustly filled it? The smell unfortunately fell off quite a bit after the pour, so I wasn't able to pick up much else, or enjoy what I initially picked up.

Taste: BAMM! This packed a lot of punch. Again, I'm getting the "aged in a barrel" taste. Wood is there to go along with a strong cocoa presence. There's definitely something else there, I will assume it's the hops. It's making for an interesting combo. I wish I was a bit more refined so I could pick it out, but this is very great!

Feel: Medium bodied, light on the carbonation. The ABV is hidden quite well, and there isn't any heat at all. Which I kind of prefer, but with the added bitterness to it, makes me think this would be a perfect summer porter.

Overall: Very impressed with this offering. I like most of the CCB stuff, and figured this would be top notch as well, but it really surprised me, and could very well be my favorite porter. It kills me there stuff isn't more available. C'mon CCB, step it up. I want to roll into a store and buy a six of this any time I want. Otherwise, I just go with someone else.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 22 ouncer

A:dark like an espresso bean.

S:espresso,toffee,hops.

T:pretty much the same as smell.

M:chewy but smooth.

O:Very nice spin on a porter.I've never had a porter that was so hop forward.I really like the toffe and hop flavor I'm getting.I would deff drink again and would recommend if you like porters and IPA's.

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%

Guest tap at Ft Pierce, FL, Sailfish brewing.

Dark brown to black elixir, tan head, thick lacing.

Caramel, molasses, chocolate, pine, earth.

Really comes through on the taste: smooth pine hops, mild char mixed with baker's chocolate.

Medium thick mouthfeel, smooth hop bitterness lingers, well carbonated.

Different take on the traditional porter I am accustomed to--GLBC's Eddy Fitz, but wonderful in its own right.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%