Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Tocobaga Red AleTocobaga Red Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.40% ABV

Pours amber in color with notes of citrus and caramel. Citrus hop bitterness upfront with notes of caramel and an Amish bread sweetness. Citrus hop bitterness returns at the end for a long dry finish.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 09-15-2010)
Reviews by Aleks_P:
4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Certainly meets expectations as this red/amber ale is a translucent red/amber color. Poured from bottle leaving a very very thin light tan head. Interesting observation that moves this above 4 for me is the sediment swirling through the beer as it is poured.

Smell: Heavy pine scent and can detect a lot of syrupy malt sweetness. Great aroma for the beer style, I've had several reds/ambers recently and this is a standount.

Taste: I think the pine flavor stands out the most and the sweetness of the beer is balanced with the pine bitterness. Hint of caramel I suppose, and some grapefruit-type citrus flavor (although I seem to get that in a lot of beers).

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and syrupy, but in a good way. The light carbonation is a good balance balance for the smoothness. Afterfeel (if that's a word) is a little sticky with more pine and hop notes.

Overall: I've had this beer many times as I'm lucky enough to live in the Tampa/St. Pete area, and this is one of our go-to's from CCB. Very balanced as there is malty sweetness and pine bitterness, syrupy mouthfeel balanced with the carbonation, etc. One of our favorites here.

I will mention that I am enamored with CCB, and justifiably so, but figured I'd mention as a caveat to my review. This is one of the beers I grab when I have guests in town to try the local brews, I've never had someone tell me they didn't think it was very good.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a murky copper color with hints of red and brown all over; hazy and cloudy with little tiny bits of sediment floating from bottom to top and back. Beige head forms, very foamy with large bubbles; settles quick and leaves some lacing behind. Aroma is wonderful, full of wet hops, floral, piney, and ashy; caramel malt distinguishable in the backbone with a touch of fruity sweetness. The palate picks up a slight ashy and white pepper character from the hops, alongside the slightly floral and piney tones, just a slight bit of resin. Nice bitter bite, but not overpowering or harsh. Oranges, vague grapefruit rind, and citrus take over midway through and cut through the bitterness of the hops bit by bit. Caramel and toffee accents come alive a little more upon warming up thanks to the malts used. Finish is slightly bitter with some citrus notes and a touch of caramel and yeast. Medium body, medium-high carbonation.

Very impressed, a high quality red ale and also my first ever brew from Cigar City. After tasting this, it's needless to say that I'll be trying to get my hands on more.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

4.38/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle dated 8/23/11

A - Pours a clear deep red/amber with almost two fingers of off-white head. Head has decent retention and leaves some nice lacing.

S - Some caramel, a bit of sugar and some dark fruits. Also a nice hop presence.

T -- Taste is opposite of smell, with a big hop presence up front, mostly citrus. All the other components of the smell are present in the taste, but play a supporting role. Very tasty.

M -- Medium mouthfeel. A bit oily. Finishes somewhat bitter and dry.

O - I like hoppy amber ales, and this is one of the best I've had. Would definitely get this again.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%