Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Tocobaga Red AleTocobaga Red Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.40% ABV

Pours amber in color with notes of citrus and caramel. Citrus hop bitterness upfront with notes of caramel and an Amish bread sweetness. Citrus hop bitterness returns at the end for a long dry finish.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 09-15-2010)

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Certainly meets expectations as this red/amber ale is a translucent red/amber color. Poured from bottle leaving a very very thin light tan head. Interesting observation that moves this above 4 for me is the sediment swirling through the beer as it is poured.

Smell: Heavy pine scent and can detect a lot of syrupy malt sweetness. Great aroma for the beer style, I've had several reds/ambers recently and this is a standount.

Taste: I think the pine flavor stands out the most and the sweetness of the beer is balanced with the pine bitterness. Hint of caramel I suppose, and some grapefruit-type citrus flavor (although I seem to get that in a lot of beers).

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and syrupy, but in a good way. The light carbonation is a good balance balance for the smoothness. Afterfeel (if that's a word) is a little sticky with more pine and hop notes.

Overall: I've had this beer many times as I'm lucky enough to live in the Tampa/St. Pete area, and this is one of our go-to's from CCB. Very balanced as there is malty sweetness and pine bitterness, syrupy mouthfeel balanced with the carbonation, etc. One of our favorites here.

I will mention that I am enamored with CCB, and justifiably so, but figured I'd mention as a caveat to my review. This is one of the beers I grab when I have guests in town to try the local brews, I've never had someone tell me they didn't think it was very good.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%