Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Tocobaga Red AleTocobaga Red Ale

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.40% ABV

Pours amber in color with notes of citrus and caramel. Citrus hop bitterness upfront with notes of caramel and an Amish bread sweetness. Citrus hop bitterness returns at the end for a long dry finish.

(Beer added by: tpd975 on 09-15-2010)
phishinNYC

3.25/5  rDev -21.3%

07-25-2012 22:44:35 | More by kaelingirl
VelvetExtract

3.95/5  rDev -4.4%

A-Pours a brownish/red color. Head is creamy and lightly tan. Head hangs around for a while. Head laces well too.

S-A nice balanced mixture of caramel sweetness and juicy hops. Hops also show up as light pine and florals. The sweetness is stronger than I expected it to be. Smells very balanced.

T-Like the nose. Balance. I wanted this to display more hoppy assertiveness. It still tastes very nice but the malt to hop ratio is too close to 1 for me. Caramel glazed muffins and floral hops.

M-A bit creamy with a round feel. Has some nice body to it. Carbonation is rather light. Feels good.

O/D-Really ecstatic to be able to try this brew. Unfortunately I was a bit let down. Perhaps this was a bit old. Not as hoppy as I was expecting. The beer in its current state was tasty and balanced but I wanted more from this brew. Could be more dynamic. I will search this one out again and make sure its fresh and compare. Score will be edited accordingly.

07-23-2012 23:22:59 | More by VelvetExtract
Arithmeticus

Maryland

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured chilled in lager glass

A: dark red, not much head; small carb beads, ok lacing
S: hoppy resiny, sweet, strong
T: very hoppy, dark, and resiny. Complex and perfectly balanced between hops and malt; complex and flavorful

I can think of no red ales that achieve this depth and body

07-21-2012 21:53:11 | More by Arithmeticus
VncentLIFE

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%

Pour is light amber with a serious soda pop fizzy head. This thing smells like it was just randallized with fresh hops. Super juicy mangoes, apricots, and a hit of pineapple just dominate. I love it! Lots of sticky sweet malt to back what is already sweet. Kind of like a darker Waldo's 420 from Lagunitas. The taste is more bitter and malty than the nose led on, but not in a bad way. It gives the beer some body to back that uber sweetness. Chalky bready malt comes through quite nicely. Theres still a ton of apricots just wanting to take over, but they really just add a very nice balance. Finishes sweet and citric with a hint of alcohol coming very late only to be destroyed by more citric hops.

Nugget Nectar aims to be more of a traditional bitter IPA, this thing goes for a West Coast super tropical fruit Amber. For my taste, this is preferred to the famed NN.

07-20-2012 16:37:17 | More by VncentLIFE

millerbuffoon

07-15-2012 03:19:37 | More by millerbuffoon
rudzud

3.38/5  rDev -18.2%

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice slightly hazy reddish amber with a one finger white blanket head that fades to leave a thin, creamy blanket.

S - Perhaps this is a bit on the old side. Getting alot of malt sweetness and honey with this along with dank, cardboard hops. Yeah...eh.

T - Again, yeah, wheres the hops? More of the caramel and malt sweetness. There is some faint, older hops. Its not too bad, but well, I've had better red ales.

M - Mouthfeel Is not that bad for a red ale, alcohol is a bit noticeable. Nice light bitter finish that plays off the caramel sweetness.

O - Overall this isnt a bad beer, I just think it was perhaps not super fresh. All the players are there for this to be a solid brew, they just didnt step up for me.

07-12-2012 18:13:34 | More by rudzud

07-06-2012 19:02:42 | More by Jetree
tree777

07-04-2012 22:23:26 | More by tree777
jaasen64

12oz bottle thanks to dolfan54fl. Poured into CCB snifter.

A- Pours an opaque dark nutty/chocolaty slightly reddish brown. Not too much of a head. Average, to slightly below average carbonation.

S- Sweet and malty with aromas of caramel, honey, and some floral notes.

T- Sweet, malty, caramel, honey, definitely sweeter then your average red ale. Finishes with a nice sweet, malty finish.

M- Medium bodied, slightly below average carbonation, finishes smoothly, abv very well hidden.

O- This was another great CCB offering. Not my favorite beer that I've ever had, but fantastic for a red ale. Lots of flavor and easily drinkable. If anything it might be a tiny bit too sweet. Definitely recommended trying.

06-23-2012 02:51:13 | More by jaasen64
BeerMeBrah

06-22-2012 03:21:28 | More by BeerMeBrah
mwrecording

Maryland

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottle given to me in a trade from raczkowski, thanks again!

Got a bunch of CC goods in this trade, I like the labels a lot on these.

Poured a nice deep red color, amber is the proper word I'm sure. Poured from a real cold temp, still had a good amount of head on it that was good as soon as I got to the page to review this beer.
I love the way red/amber beers look, so this was nice.

Smell: A touch of caramel and a little bit of a "rusty" hop/pine type smell, fun to sniff, makes me think a lot. It smells bitter, for lack of better word.

Taste: I mostly taste the piney hops in this, I don't get too much of the malt until right before the swallow. Nicely bitter, just a touch sweet, really compliments the smell in a good way.

M: Carbonation, sort of filmy rolling around in my mouth. Thin and refreshing.

Overall: Unsure of what my individual ratings will add up to, I want to say this is a treat. The only real thing I have to compare it to in its catagory is Zoe and Nugget Nectar. I'd say its a bit better than Zoe and just a hair behind Nugget Nectar. I feel like the hops really make this beer what it is and when they fade, I'm not sure whats going to be left while a 4-5 month old Nugget Nectar is STILL something special.

In closing, I'm glad I got to try this beer...its my first CC beer and I can't wait to try the other 4-5 I've got here or on my way.

4/5

06-20-2012 23:59:23 | More by mwrecording
silentjay

06-20-2012 17:19:32 | More by silentjay
Jerone

4.5/5  rDev +9%

A - Hazy brown with a reddish tinge to it, cream colored head that sticks around

S - Citrus hops with some lightly toasted malt, very nice smelling.

T - Wham, citrus hops right off the bat hit you, mostly grapefruit, then mellows to the malt and eventually a bready flavor. Lots of good flavor packed into this beer.

M - Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation, flavor sticks in your mouth for a while, very nice.

O - Beautifully crafted beer. Maybe slightly less hops with a touch more of the bready flavor would have made it epic to my taste buds.

06-20-2012 16:45:54 | More by Jerone
gothedistance

South Carolina

4.25/5  rDev +2.9%

A: medium red/brown in color, small head that fades relatively quickly. The lacing is rather thick and well-defined.

S: One of the best beers I have ever smalled. It's layers of flowers and tropical fruits. Intense and aromatic. I know my bottle isn't super fresh either so this is outstanding.

T: Delicious. A tad hoppier than I expected, this red ale is really complex

M: Mouthcoating, hits all of the sensory areas of your mouth. It even has a long finish. Impressive!

Overall one of the best red ales I have ever had. Cheers!

06-19-2012 01:26:20 | More by gothedistance