Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 09-15-2010

Pours amber in color with notes of citrus and caramel. Citrus hop bitterness upfront with notes of caramel and an Amish bread sweetness. Citrus hop bitterness returns at the end for a long dry finish.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

3.34/5  rDev -18.7%

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice slightly hazy reddish amber with a one finger white blanket head that fades to leave a thin, creamy blanket.

S - Perhaps this is a bit on the old side. Getting alot of malt sweetness and honey with this along with dank, cardboard hops. Yeah...eh.

T - Again, yeah, wheres the hops? More of the caramel and malt sweetness. There is some faint, older hops. Its not too bad, but well, I've had better red ales.

M - Mouthfeel Is not that bad for a red ale, alcohol is a bit noticeable. Nice light bitter finish that plays off the caramel sweetness.

O - Overall this isnt a bad beer, I just think it was perhaps not super fresh. All the players are there for this to be a solid brew, they just didnt step up for me.

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

12oz bottle thanks to dolfan54fl. Poured into CCB snifter.

A- Pours an opaque dark nutty/chocolaty slightly reddish brown. Not too much of a head. Average, to slightly below average carbonation.

S- Sweet and malty with aromas of caramel, honey, and some floral notes.

T- Sweet, malty, caramel, honey, definitely sweeter then your average red ale. Finishes with a nice sweet, malty finish.

M- Medium bodied, slightly below average carbonation, finishes smoothly, abv very well hidden.

O- This was another great CCB offering. Not my favorite beer that I've ever had, but fantastic for a red ale. Lots of flavor and easily drinkable. If anything it might be a tiny bit too sweet. Definitely recommended trying.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle given to me in a trade from raczkowski, thanks again!

Got a bunch of CC goods in this trade, I like the labels a lot on these.

Poured a nice deep red color, amber is the proper word I'm sure. Poured from a real cold temp, still had a good amount of head on it that was good as soon as I got to the page to review this beer.
I love the way red/amber beers look, so this was nice.

Smell: A touch of caramel and a little bit of a "rusty" hop/pine type smell, fun to sniff, makes me think a lot. It smells bitter, for lack of better word.

Taste: I mostly taste the piney hops in this, I don't get too much of the malt until right before the swallow. Nicely bitter, just a touch sweet, really compliments the smell in a good way.

M: Carbonation, sort of filmy rolling around in my mouth. Thin and refreshing.

Overall: Unsure of what my individual ratings will add up to, I want to say this is a treat. The only real thing I have to compare it to in its catagory is Zoe and Nugget Nectar. I'd say its a bit better than Zoe and just a hair behind Nugget Nectar. I feel like the hops really make this beer what it is and when they fade, I'm not sure whats going to be left while a 4-5 month old Nugget Nectar is STILL something special.

In closing, I'm glad I got to try this beer...its my first CC beer and I can't wait to try the other 4-5 I've got here or on my way.

4/5

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

A - Hazy brown with a reddish tinge to it, cream colored head that sticks around

S - Citrus hops with some lightly toasted malt, very nice smelling.

T - Wham, citrus hops right off the bat hit you, mostly grapefruit, then mellows to the malt and eventually a bready flavor. Lots of good flavor packed into this beer.

M - Medium mouthfeel with low carbonation, flavor sticks in your mouth for a while, very nice.

O - Beautifully crafted beer. Maybe slightly less hops with a touch more of the bready flavor would have made it epic to my taste buds.

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: medium red/brown in color, small head that fades relatively quickly. The lacing is rather thick and well-defined.

S: One of the best beers I have ever smalled. It's layers of flowers and tropical fruits. Intense and aromatic. I know my bottle isn't super fresh either so this is outstanding.

T: Delicious. A tad hoppier than I expected, this red ale is really complex

M: Mouthcoating, hits all of the sensory areas of your mouth. It even has a long finish. Impressive!

Overall one of the best red ales I have ever had. Cheers!

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- Amber body with a sticky tan head that leaves a ton of lacing. Transparent body, simple and good looking.

S- Big, juicy hop aroma that has grapefruit and herbal notes. Caramel malt sneaks in to provide a slightly malty aroma.

T- More of the herbal hop flavors come through, along with the grapefruit flavor. Caramel backbone provides a smooth and balanced finish.

M- Medium bodied with full flavor and medium carbonation.

O- Very good hoppy amber. Hops shine, but the flavor is balanced.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Acquired this in a trade a while back and just hadn't tried it till now. Not too old with a May 3 2012 bottle date.
This pours a very cloudy deep brown color. Mine didn't have much of a head to speak of at all, and no lacing seems to remain on the glass while drinking.
I see some raving about the aroma of this beer, but mine didn't have much too it unfortunately.
The taste made up for the lack of smell. I liked the surprising bitterness of this beer. I guess I don't know the style that well, but it wasn't expected from this. Nice bitterness, medium carbonation. This beer is kinda piney but has a good sweetness to balance it out.
Overall, I truly enjoyed this beer! If it was available in my area, I think I would revisit time and time again.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

4.6/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours an amber color with a red hue. A small foamy head. Excellent lacing.
Smells of hops, citrus fruits, and dare I say... guava. Big tropical fruit aroma. I love the smell so much. I want to bathe in it.
The taste is almost as good as the smell. Lots of citrus and tropical flavors with a bit of a caramel sweet malty flavor. A nice crisp, dry finish similar to an IPA. Good carbonation and medium body.
Once again Cigar City brewing makes me happy to live in Florida. Unfortunately, even in Florida, this beer isn't available as often as I would like, because I would like to be drinking this all the time. This is the best American red ale available, and my favorite of Cigar City's year round beers.

Tocobaga Red Ale from Cigar City Brewing