Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 09-15-2010

Pours amber in color with notes of citrus and caramel. Citrus hop bitterness upfront with notes of caramel and an Amish bread sweetness. Citrus hop bitterness returns at the end for a long dry finish.

Ratings: 1,241 | Reviews: 218
4.72/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow... stole the show on my visit to the brewery...don't have a single complaint

Bottle poured into New Belgium globe.

A- Deep, translucent amber. Big, slightly amber head that is thick and persisting.

S- Big, unique hops. A bit of pine, and interesting, almost overripe citrus dominates. A light, typical red ale malt profile in the background.

T- Follows the nose fairly well. Big hops, but not an overload. And, again, this isn't a typical hop profile. It's very hard to put a finger on. A good amount of slightly sweet malt on the back end, finishing with a lingering bitterness.

M- Medium bodied. Very carbonated.

O- A good beer, but I was a bit disappointed based on the reviews.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

Fresh from Florida with a date of 2/18/14

A - Pours out a cloudy light red with a bunch of hop sediment flouting around. Has a two finger frothy off yellowish off white head. Well carbonated.

S - Hops come through on the nose with a piney citrus follow with a bready sweet maltiness and some earthyness.

T - Sweet malt breadiness, caramel, followed by the piny citrus earthyness that drys out. Balanced from malts to hops and pretty smooth and enjoyable.

M - Medium to full bodied smooth with nice carbonation. Dry on the mouth leaving you wanting more.

O - Very enjoyable red ale that is balance with pronounce malt and hop profiles. Not a beginner beer for a red ale coming in at over 7 % abv.

3.87/5  rDev -5.8%

thanks to hdelavega for this 12 oz bottle, poured into a Samuel Smith tulip pint

A - 2 finger head of medium size off white bubbles over a surprisingly cloudy dark copper beer. Head died down to a respectable level that lasted for quite some time. Pretty good lacing. Bottle has a nice story about the Tocobaga people - mentions that they were the only Florida natives to use maize. Seems like a lost opportunity to make a maize beer, but this American Red will have to do. (kidding) Bottling date is NOV2011. Also says "TWO TWO," maybe that means 11/22/11.

S - Beautiful hop aroma on this one. Smells exactly like I want this style to smell. Very inviting, totally classic. Only drawback is it doesn't last the whole time. Also, there is a hint of earthy stone in the back somewhere. First impression was great, though.

T - Really hoppy, good easily be considered an Imperial Red. Malt is there, but has a muted quality about it that reminds me of the earthy stone aroma.

M - I am surprised by how much bitterness is lingering on my tongue. To the point of puckering, even. It's totally smooth and highly refreshing going down, though.

O - I was surprised by how hoppy this beer was. I like hoppy beers but I actually found this a little astringent. I can see how this could become a favorite if I could drink a ton of these all the time. For those who can't get this, I'd compare it to a really hoppy version of Red Chair NWPA from Deschutes. Definitely worth trying and one I would gladly drink again.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Just picked up from the brewery. Dated November 22nd so four days old. Poured to a Duvel tulip glass.
Pours a murky brownish red with a one finger tan head that's gone in a minute leaving just a film.
Smells like an IPA. Lots of hop, tropical fruit, a bit of a woody pine aroma, slight maltieness in the back.
Wow big hoppy flavor, if my eyes were closed I'd defiantly have guessed this to be an IPA. Lots of citrusy hop, a little sweetness I get that light malt in the back again.
Hop resin flavors coat the mouth leaving a long lasting bitterness. Pretty bright carbonation. On the swallow it goes down real easy and then those hops sneak up and bight you one last time on the finish.
This guy reminded me of the big hoppy monster on steroids. This is the amber ale that haunts the dreams of a hop head and is seriously worthy of some recognition. Awesome beer, especially this fresh.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Had this on tap at CCB. Served on a pint glass.

A: dark amber color with some glowing red tones. Small head that managed to stay for a bit, good retention. Lacing was excellent and decorated the pint glass very vigorously.

S: the smell was a bit mute and hard to get on this one, but I was able to tell woody aromas, clear pine and fresh hops.

T: hops, then some hops and then more hops. They create a bitter taste that goes well along the other woody flavors.

M: medium body, very low carbonation. Goes down smoothly and easily.

O: this was the second beer of the night while at CCB and they kept delivering. Highly recommended.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Big thanks to bryanole27 for this extra!

Appearance: the Tocobaga pours a rustic, red brick color with an off white head that produces some decent lacing.

Smell: very earthy, musty hops.

Taste: I'm definitely picking up an overly steeped tea-like flavor. Some noticeable pomegranate as well.. these flavors seem to coexist well with the leafy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall: I'm not usually a huge fan of red ales but I did enjoy this one quite a bit. Glad I got to try it.

4.89/5  rDev +19%

Pours a nice honey colored red with fluffy head that fades slowly leaving nice heavy lacing on the glass.
Smell of pine and citrus, with a touch of sweetness to back it up.
Nice balance of maltiness to hoppiness. Love the way the hops stay with it to finish strong.
Nice mouthfeel, not too thin or too thick.
Very dangerous drinkability. The alcohol content is masked well with the great flavors. You will want to be careful if trying to session this one.
Over all another great offering from CCB.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

Acquired through a trade. I first had it on tap on a trip to Florida and was eager to get some at home.
A. Hazy amber...on the darker side of red. Finger head. Slight lacing.
S. hop first, then a little burnt (slightly) caramel. Makes me smile.
T. Damn good! A sweet, but not too sweet roasted caramels rot end, followed by a hoppy after taste.
M. A little carbonation, a littl refreshing.
O. This beer is as good as I remember. I would love to run a little hop through it. But a unique red hoppy ale...beats Nugget Nectar any day.

4.64/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The first red ale that this reviewer is writing on pours a beautiful mahogany color that approached opaque in clarity; it is capped with a slightly rocky, cream-colored head that takes its sweet time dissipating down from an initial four fingers to a manageable one-and-a-half. The carbonation that is visible through the dense fog appears very active, but it is honestly difficult to tell with any certainty. There is some spotty lacing. The pour looked incredible, but once it is sitting in the glass the beer starts to take on the appearance of the end product of chewing tobacco. Still, the ruby red that occurs when light shines through is a pleasure yet to be held by this reviewer.

Aroma: There is a certain hoppiness that I was not expecting in this style after reading about it, but this is usurped almost immediately by a very “beery” smell that can only come from a strong malt character. This malt character also lends Tocobaga a pronounced and enticing sweetness. There is perhaps a bit of yeast that plays on the nostrils as well and mingles with the malty sweetness and gives it a mild spicy characteristic akin to cinnamon and cloves (or maybe allspice). It is quite complex (as many great beers are) and begs the holder to drink immediately.

Taste: The gauntlet has been thrown down for all future red ales that pass these taste buds. There is nothing to dislike in the taste of this beer, no faults to be found. It is initially bitter, but just for a second (following the nose step for step), and then the sweet malts step in, flooding the mouth with caramel notes, nutty notes, and even a hint of banana. Then the hops come back in and leave the tongue craving more and more of the delicious elixir, somewhat like Founders Double Trouble, though not nearly as bitter due to the difference in style. The aftertaste is a bit puckering and astringent, but not in a displeasing way. This beer is off the charts rich, somewhat like Apocalypse Cow. Just wow.

Mouthfeel: The beer swallows a little thick for my taste and leaves the lips sticky afterwards. As mentioned under “Taste”, Tocobaga has a puckering effect on the mouth, but this is very welcome. The carbonation is as active as seen earlier, but not as omnipresent as expected, which really is not an issue; the carbonation is perfect for the beer and gives it the refreshing quality that carbonation so often does. This beer is insanely drinkable, which, at 7.2% ABV could be a bit dangerous.

Overall: This is an excellent stepping-stone into the world of red ales. Before drinking this beer, I was not overly excited about venturing into red ales, but now I could not be more eager to have another. I am also disappointed that this was my only bottle. This is a beer I would love to have in my fridge at all times. It is just spectacular. 17.5/20

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Hoppy like an IPA but better balanced. My favorite hippy red ale

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Pours a murky brown with red hues to it. Small tan head that lasts a medium amount of time.

S - Strong American pungent hop aroma. It overpowers the smell of caramel or any other "typical" red ale aromas. I don't dislike the smell I just wish there was more to it.

T - Again strong American bitter hop presence throughout. It does finish quite a bit sweeter than you'd expect upon first taste. It's a great hop forward beer but I again find it lacking the essential red ale qualities.

M - A nice medium mouth-feel, it doesn't have any alcohol burn or unpleasantness.

O - Overall this is a great and tasty red ale. It isn't a classical red ale but it is a great American take on one. I'd definitely recommend anyone to try this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle dated: MAR2012 EIGHT. Poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a burnt, amber red color, cloudy, with about a finger worth of an off-white head. Very minimal lacing left behind as the head recedes.

S: Nose is bright with citrusy hops upfront, some mellowing sweet notes as well, then ends with a bit of pine. As it warms the sweeter notes are more prominent than the hops, but are very harmonious in balance.

T: Nice hop bitterness, but again balance is key. The malts are almost in tandem playing together with the hops.

M: Mouthfeel is very nice, sweet breadiness, and a bit astringent. Overall a very solid amber that drinks like APA.

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Had this one on tap at the brewery. Tocobaga has a nice 1inch head that slowly dissipates down to leave a nice sticky ring atop its orange/amber body. Smells of sweet malt, lemon, and citrusy hops. Taste is just as inviting a smell. Slight sweetness with a wide hop variety. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp with just the right amount of carbonation. My all time favorite red. Appeals more to the hop head!

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice amber brown color but a bit murkier than I expected. Smell is grass, grapefruit, and caramel sith something a bit tinny on the finish. Taste follows the nose, very well balanced, grassy & citrusy, sweet in the middle, yet finishes dry but I still get something slightly metallic at the end. Feel is right where it should be for the style. I like hoppy reds and overall this is super easy drinking and I enjoy it quite a bit.

4.41/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Certainly meets expectations as this red/amber ale is a translucent red/amber color. Poured from bottle leaving a very very thin light tan head. Interesting observation that moves this above 4 for me is the sediment swirling through the beer as it is poured.

Smell: Heavy pine scent and can detect a lot of syrupy malt sweetness. Great aroma for the beer style, I've had several reds/ambers recently and this is a standount.

Taste: I think the pine flavor stands out the most and the sweetness of the beer is balanced with the pine bitterness. Hint of caramel I suppose, and some grapefruit-type citrus flavor (although I seem to get that in a lot of beers).

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and syrupy, but in a good way. The light carbonation is a good balance balance for the smoothness. Afterfeel (if that's a word) is a little sticky with more pine and hop notes.

Overall: I've had this beer many times as I'm lucky enough to live in the Tampa/St. Pete area, and this is one of our go-to's from CCB. Very balanced as there is malty sweetness and pine bitterness, syrupy mouthfeel balanced with the carbonation, etc. One of our favorites here.

I will mention that I am enamored with CCB, and justifiably so, but figured I'd mention as a caveat to my review. This is one of the beers I grab when I have guests in town to try the local brews, I've never had someone tell me they didn't think it was very good.

4.15/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not usually a huge red fan, but this has to be one of my tops if not the top Red. I am impressed so far by Cigar City Brewing and look forward to having their other beers.

Darkish amber color, with a great dirty head to it that foams up extra after the end of the pour and stays with the beer throughout drinking it.

The smell is good, but it's not something that really jumps out and says drink me. It's faint, but intriguing. You smell the hops, the citrus, and you can tell you are in for a full beer. (7.2 abv)

Taste is great, starts off with a smooth woody/wheat flavor to me, then transitions into a clean bitterness, then it gets a citrus slightly sweet flavor, finishing with a long dry finish that stays with you and makes you want to drink more.

Enjoy. I know I'll be having more.

4.62/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer on tap at Tap 42's Cigar City event. Good beer with a pretty dark red amber color. Really likin the color. Not too heavy and very well balance taste with hops and citrus notes. Feel the nice caramel taste, very smooth finish. Hops feel lingers in he mouth, great complexity. Very refreshing.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Picked up a growler for the holidays. Poured in to a CCB snifter.

Darker shade of Ruby Red. Fizzy white head. Stuck to glass nicely. Very clear.

Lots of Astringent citrus hops up front Then the quintsential "red" malts and a balance of sweet ness.

Taste wise its very similar to SN Celebration. Except I like this even better because of the fresh hops. Great bittersweet hop to malt ratio.

I wish this would be a year rounder for them.

Only problem was the gas from the growler filled me up quick. So I only had 2 glasses. Everyone else finished it off. IF you can get it, Get it!

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Had it in a can (which is beautiful; one of Cigar City's better designs, imho, by Eric Swanson). Poured with a nice head; beautiful amber color.

Maybe it's me, but if I had no preconceived notions and drank this blindfolded, I might at first think it was an IPA, so present is its initial hoppiness. Nose is piney and the citrus and pineapple notes are present but not sharp or bitter. Very smooth mouth feel with a malty finish
Quite drinkable. One of Cigar City's best — which is saying a lot!

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tocobaga: bottle
Appearance: Very dark amber with a nicely sustainable head and excellent lacing.

Smell: A light piny aroma. The smell is not too strong or overpowering. That is always a plus for me.

Taste: Spicy up front, followed by notes of malt and caramel. The caramel is extremely prominent in the finish.

Mouth feel: There is a slight bubbly feeling from the carbonation, but other than that it goes down very smoothly.

Overall: I love a good red ale, and this beer is exactly that. This beer is incredibly well balanced, and very drinkable. I just polished off this 750ml by myself and I would not mind having a bit more.

3.91/5  rDev -4.9%

Bottle given to me in a trade from raczkowski, thanks again!

Got a bunch of CC goods in this trade, I like the labels a lot on these.

Poured a nice deep red color, amber is the proper word I'm sure. Poured from a real cold temp, still had a good amount of head on it that was good as soon as I got to the page to review this beer.
I love the way red/amber beers look, so this was nice.

Smell: A touch of caramel and a little bit of a "rusty" hop/pine type smell, fun to sniff, makes me think a lot. It smells bitter, for lack of better word.

Taste: I mostly taste the piney hops in this, I don't get too much of the malt until right before the swallow. Nicely bitter, just a touch sweet, really compliments the smell in a good way.

M: Carbonation, sort of filmy rolling around in my mouth. Thin and refreshing.

Overall: Unsure of what my individual ratings will add up to, I want to say this is a treat. The only real thing I have to compare it to in its catagory is Zoe and Nugget Nectar. I'd say its a bit better than Zoe and just a hair behind Nugget Nectar. I feel like the hops really make this beer what it is and when they fade, I'm not sure whats going to be left while a 4-5 month old Nugget Nectar is STILL something special.

In closing, I'm glad I got to try this beer...its my first CC beer and I can't wait to try the other 4-5 I've got here or on my way.

4/5

4.45/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Truly delightful beer! Reminds me why I quit drinking 'Shareholder Beer' like Bud and Miller. Nice carbonation that lingers in the mouth, intensifying the hopy bitterness.
The really wonderful surprise, however, is the most wonderful toasted-cherry-like aftertaste, even though this is not a fruit-flavored brew. This sweetish aftertaste and the bitter hops are perfectly balanced. Fantastic beer!

2.05/5  rDev -50.1%

Wtf. Hopheads will love this red ale.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle on 9/15. From tasting notes:

A - Amber/Copper blend color, small head that melts to circular lacing on top. Sediment throughout.

S - Fresh hops, spices, little bit of robust honey..

T - Tasty-citrusy hops upfront with malty spices that follow. Very smooth with no booze present. I wouldn't guess it to be a 7%+ beer

M - Light/Medium bodied, carbonation bites the tip of the tongue and lets the hops dry out the finish.

O - Good red ale if you really enjoy hops. Very green in flavor with a spicy finish. Very drinkable for the ABV and perfect for the fall. Be careful with this one!

J