Tocobaga Red Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  7.40% ABV

Beer added by: tpd975 on 09-15-2010

Pours amber in color with notes of citrus and caramel. Citrus hop bitterness upfront with notes of caramel and an Amish bread sweetness. Citrus hop bitterness returns at the end for a long dry finish.

Reviews: 208 | Hads: 1,247
3.92/5  rDev -5.8%

Big thanks to bryanole27 for this extra!

Appearance: the Tocobaga pours a rustic, red brick color with an off white head that produces some decent lacing.

Smell: very earthy, musty hops.

Taste: I'm definitely picking up an overly steeped tea-like flavor. Some noticeable pomegranate as well.. these flavors seem to coexist well with the leafy hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall: I'm not usually a huge fan of red ales but I did enjoy this one quite a bit. Glad I got to try it. (515 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +17.5%

Pours a nice honey colored red with fluffy head that fades slowly leaving nice heavy lacing on the glass.
Smell of pine and citrus, with a touch of sweetness to back it up.
Nice balance of maltiness to hoppiness. Love the way the hops stay with it to finish strong.
Nice mouthfeel, not too thin or too thick.
Very dangerous drinkability. The alcohol content is masked well with the great flavors. You will want to be careful if trying to session this one.
Over all another great offering from CCB. (499 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%

Acquired through a trade. I first had it on tap on a trip to Florida and was eager to get some at home.
A. Hazy amber...on the darker side of red. Finger head. Slight lacing.
S. hop first, then a little burnt (slightly) caramel. Makes me smile.
T. Damn good! A sweet, but not too sweet roasted caramels rot end, followed by a hoppy after taste.
M. A little carbonation, a littl refreshing.
O. This beer is as good as I remember. I would love to run a little hop through it. But a unique red hoppy ale...beats Nugget Nectar any day. (532 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: The first red ale that this reviewer is writing on pours a beautiful mahogany color that approached opaque in clarity; it is capped with a slightly rocky, cream-colored head that takes its sweet time dissipating down from an initial four fingers to a manageable one-and-a-half. The carbonation that is visible through the dense fog appears very active, but it is honestly difficult to tell with any certainty. There is some spotty lacing. The pour looked incredible, but once it is sitting in the glass the beer starts to take on the appearance of the end product of chewing tobacco. Still, the ruby red that occurs when light shines through is a pleasure yet to be held by this reviewer.

Aroma: There is a certain hoppiness that I was not expecting in this style after reading about it, but this is usurped almost immediately by a very “beery” smell that can only come from a strong malt character. This malt character also lends Tocobaga a pronounced and enticing sweetness. There is perhaps a bit of yeast that plays on the nostrils as well and mingles with the malty sweetness and gives it a mild spicy characteristic akin to cinnamon and cloves (or maybe allspice). It is quite complex (as many great beers are) and begs the holder to drink immediately.

Taste: The gauntlet has been thrown down for all future red ales that pass these taste buds. There is nothing to dislike in the taste of this beer, no faults to be found. It is initially bitter, but just for a second (following the nose step for step), and then the sweet malts step in, flooding the mouth with caramel notes, nutty notes, and even a hint of banana. Then the hops come back in and leave the tongue craving more and more of the delicious elixir, somewhat like Founders Double Trouble, though not nearly as bitter due to the difference in style. The aftertaste is a bit puckering and astringent, but not in a displeasing way. This beer is off the charts rich, somewhat like Apocalypse Cow. Just wow.

Mouthfeel: The beer swallows a little thick for my taste and leaves the lips sticky afterwards. As mentioned under “Taste”, Tocobaga has a puckering effect on the mouth, but this is very welcome. The carbonation is as active as seen earlier, but not as omnipresent as expected, which really is not an issue; the carbonation is perfect for the beer and gives it the refreshing quality that carbonation so often does. This beer is insanely drinkable, which, at 7.2% ABV could be a bit dangerous.

Overall: This is an excellent stepping-stone into the world of red ales. Before drinking this beer, I was not overly excited about venturing into red ales, but now I could not be more eager to have another. I am also disappointed that this was my only bottle. This is a beer I would love to have in my fridge at all times. It is just spectacular. 17.5/20 (2,845 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -10.3%

A - Pours a murky brown with red hues to it. Small tan head that lasts a medium amount of time.

S - Strong American pungent hop aroma. It overpowers the smell of caramel or any other "typical" red ale aromas. I don't dislike the smell I just wish there was more to it.

T - Again strong American bitter hop presence throughout. It does finish quite a bit sweeter than you'd expect upon first taste. It's a great hop forward beer but I again find it lacking the essential red ale qualities.

M - A nice medium mouth-feel, it doesn't have any alcohol burn or unpleasantness.

O - Overall this is a great and tasty red ale. It isn't a classical red ale but it is a great American take on one. I'd definitely recommend anyone to try this beer. (743 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Bottle dated: MAR2012 EIGHT. Poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a burnt, amber red color, cloudy, with about a finger worth of an off-white head. Very minimal lacing left behind as the head recedes.

S: Nose is bright with citrusy hops upfront, some mellowing sweet notes as well, then ends with a bit of pine. As it warms the sweeter notes are more prominent than the hops, but are very harmonious in balance.

T: Nice hop bitterness, but again balance is key. The malts are almost in tandem playing together with the hops.

M: Mouthfeel is very nice, sweet breadiness, and a bit astringent. Overall a very solid amber that drinks like APA. (644 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5%

Had this one on tap at the brewery. Tocobaga has a nice 1inch head that slowly dissipates down to leave a nice sticky ring atop its orange/amber body. Smells of sweet malt, lemon, and citrusy hops. Taste is just as inviting a smell. Slight sweetness with a wide hop variety. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp with just the right amount of carbonation. My all time favorite red. Appeals more to the hop head! (401 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a nice amber brown color but a bit murkier than I expected. Smell is grass, grapefruit, and caramel sith something a bit tinny on the finish. Taste follows the nose, very well balanced, grassy & citrusy, sweet in the middle, yet finishes dry but I still get something slightly metallic at the end. Feel is right where it should be for the style. I like hoppy reds and overall this is super easy drinking and I enjoy it quite a bit. (441 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Certainly meets expectations as this red/amber ale is a translucent red/amber color. Poured from bottle leaving a very very thin light tan head. Interesting observation that moves this above 4 for me is the sediment swirling through the beer as it is poured.

Smell: Heavy pine scent and can detect a lot of syrupy malt sweetness. Great aroma for the beer style, I've had several reds/ambers recently and this is a standount.

Taste: I think the pine flavor stands out the most and the sweetness of the beer is balanced with the pine bitterness. Hint of caramel I suppose, and some grapefruit-type citrus flavor (although I seem to get that in a lot of beers).

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and syrupy, but in a good way. The light carbonation is a good balance balance for the smoothness. Afterfeel (if that's a word) is a little sticky with more pine and hop notes.

Overall: I've had this beer many times as I'm lucky enough to live in the Tampa/St. Pete area, and this is one of our go-to's from CCB. Very balanced as there is malty sweetness and pine bitterness, syrupy mouthfeel balanced with the carbonation, etc. One of our favorites here.

I will mention that I am enamored with CCB, and justifiably so, but figured I'd mention as a caveat to my review. This is one of the beers I grab when I have guests in town to try the local brews, I've never had someone tell me they didn't think it was very good. (1,418 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not usually a huge red fan, but this has to be one of my tops if not the top Red. I am impressed so far by Cigar City Brewing and look forward to having their other beers.

Darkish amber color, with a great dirty head to it that foams up extra after the end of the pour and stays with the beer throughout drinking it.

The smell is good, but it's not something that really jumps out and says drink me. It's faint, but intriguing. You smell the hops, the citrus, and you can tell you are in for a full beer. (7.2 abv)

Taste is great, starts off with a smooth woody/wheat flavor to me, then transitions into a clean bitterness, then it gets a citrus slightly sweet flavor, finishing with a long dry finish that stays with you and makes you want to drink more.

Enjoy. I know I'll be having more. (798 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this beer on tap at Tap 42's Cigar City event. Good beer with a pretty dark red amber color. Really likin the color. Not too heavy and very well balance taste with hops and citrus notes. Feel the nice caramel taste, very smooth finish. Hops feel lingers in he mouth, great complexity. Very refreshing. (305 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Picked up a growler for the holidays. Poured in to a CCB snifter.

Darker shade of Ruby Red. Fizzy white head. Stuck to glass nicely. Very clear.

Lots of Astringent citrus hops up front Then the quintsential "red" malts and a balance of sweet ness.

Taste wise its very similar to SN Celebration. Except I like this even better because of the fresh hops. Great bittersweet hop to malt ratio.

I wish this would be a year rounder for them.

Only problem was the gas from the growler filled me up quick. So I only had 2 glasses. Everyone else finished it off. IF you can get it, Get it! (588 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

Had it in a can (which is beautiful; one of Cigar City's better designs, imho, by Eric Swanson). Poured with a nice head; beautiful amber color.

Maybe it's me, but if I had no preconceived notions and drank this blindfolded, I might at first think it was an IPA, so present is its initial hoppiness. Nose is piney and the citrus and pineapple notes are present but not sharp or bitter. Very smooth mouth feel with a malty finish
Quite drinkable. One of Cigar City's best — which is saying a lot! (498 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Tocobaga: bottle
Appearance: Very dark amber with a nicely sustainable head and excellent lacing.

Smell: A light piny aroma. The smell is not too strong or overpowering. That is always a plus for me.

Taste: Spicy up front, followed by notes of malt and caramel. The caramel is extremely prominent in the finish.

Mouth feel: There is a slight bubbly feeling from the carbonation, but other than that it goes down very smoothly.

Overall: I love a good red ale, and this beer is exactly that. This beer is incredibly well balanced, and very drinkable. I just polished off this 750ml by myself and I would not mind having a bit more. (635 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -6%

Bottle given to me in a trade from raczkowski, thanks again!

Got a bunch of CC goods in this trade, I like the labels a lot on these.

Poured a nice deep red color, amber is the proper word I'm sure. Poured from a real cold temp, still had a good amount of head on it that was good as soon as I got to the page to review this beer.
I love the way red/amber beers look, so this was nice.

Smell: A touch of caramel and a little bit of a "rusty" hop/pine type smell, fun to sniff, makes me think a lot. It smells bitter, for lack of better word.

Taste: I mostly taste the piney hops in this, I don't get too much of the malt until right before the swallow. Nicely bitter, just a touch sweet, really compliments the smell in a good way.

M: Carbonation, sort of filmy rolling around in my mouth. Thin and refreshing.

Overall: Unsure of what my individual ratings will add up to, I want to say this is a treat. The only real thing I have to compare it to in its catagory is Zoe and Nugget Nectar. I'd say its a bit better than Zoe and just a hair behind Nugget Nectar. I feel like the hops really make this beer what it is and when they fade, I'm not sure whats going to be left while a 4-5 month old Nugget Nectar is STILL something special.

In closing, I'm glad I got to try this beer...its my first CC beer and I can't wait to try the other 4-5 I've got here or on my way.

4/5 (1,380 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Truly delightful beer! Reminds me why I quit drinking 'Shareholder Beer' like Bud and Miller. Nice carbonation that lingers in the mouth, intensifying the hopy bitterness.
The really wonderful surprise, however, is the most wonderful toasted-cherry-like aftertaste, even though this is not a fruit-flavored brew. This sweetish aftertaste and the bitter hops are perfectly balanced. Fantastic beer! (397 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle on 9/15. From tasting notes:

A - Amber/Copper blend color, small head that melts to circular lacing on top. Sediment throughout.

S - Fresh hops, spices, little bit of robust honey..

T - Tasty-citrusy hops upfront with malty spices that follow. Very smooth with no booze present. I wouldn't guess it to be a 7%+ beer

M - Light/Medium bodied, carbonation bites the tip of the tongue and lets the hops dry out the finish.

O - Good red ale if you really enjoy hops. Very green in flavor with a spicy finish. Very drinkable for the ABV and perfect for the fall. Be careful with this one!

(616 characters)

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to my Tampa buddy for this trade.

A - Dark Red, with a caramel/brown color, topped with 1 inch of thick foamy head that took a few moments to dissipate. Opaque, looks like a brown ale.

S - Tough to get a read even after letting it warm. Some Dark fruits, smokey aroma, molasses or caramel.

T - Lots going on to the taste. Mild hops, caramel, some sweetness possibly a hint of vanilla? A slight smokey burn aftertaste but just right, not too much.

M - Creamy, swishy, velvety, feels great.

O - My second CC beer. While the nose was tough to pick up, everything else was great. Very good and a memorable red ale. (624 characters)

3.39/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the bottle into a snifter-tulip hybrid. Nice reddish hue with 1/4inch of cream head that lingers. Upon pouring I immediately smelled some sweet lightly toasted malts. After taking a stronger whiff the piney hops came into play with perhaps some floral/grassy notes. This red ale has a smooth light mouthfeel with a good but not overwhelming malt backbone. What surprised me was the significant hop presence in the finish that hung around for a bit. For me this threw off the overall balance and was a bit disappointing. For the style, I think the hops were too much. This one would be best described as a Red/Amber Ale trying to be an IPA. I'd have it again, but only because we don't get Cigar City in IL. If it was available in IL, I wouldn't hesitate to leave in on the shelf and grab a Bell's Amber Ale. (819 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

Amber coppery color. Pours a thin head that dissipates to nothing quickly. Quite bitter and hoppy in the mouth, but its very smooth about it. Light malt and resin flavors that are very pleasant. There is a nice tartness and a bit of dryness on the finish. (255 characters)

smells hoppy with a nice slight hint of malt. This beer taste solid. really nice red ale effort, nice main rotation beer for CCB. Maybe a touch heavy for a red ale, specially one with this intermediate alch %.

Not my favorite red ale or CCB. Worth trying though. (264 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A- Very pretty reddish caramel and copper. Great, thick, lingering off-white head with sticky lacing.

S- muted vanilla, orange, Coca-Cola/Dr. Pepper

T- Lots of different flavors here...licorice,vanilla, biscuity malt, buttery, slight ash, and orange. Very smooth up front but a very slight alcohol burn towards the end.

M- A little thin for me but still a pleasant feel. The taste lasts for a couple seconds afterward with fleeting carbonation.

O- Pleasantly surprised. Cigar City really makes some good brews. A very solid beer that I could definitely have more than one of.

W- If it was a woman, it'd be the sexy, unassuming librarian who comes off sweet at first but reveals a sensuous and unexpected side once you get her home. (738 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

What a delicious brew from Cigar City! The smell of this beer is amazing citrusy, and kind of like a cotton candy smell mixed together. The taste was excellent, a malty IPA with a bunch of flavors but the caramel flavor is very prominent. The mouthfeel again is great. Overall one of the best brews I have tried as of late, easy drinker to! (340 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.6%

12 oz. bottle with a March 2012 timestamp.

A: cloudy burnt red. Almost a tea color. Nice foamy two finger head that quickly fades. Minimal lacing.

S: hops on the nose with little citrus. Little behind thise scents.

T: wow - very smooth with hops everywhere. Very powerful hops for the style. A bit of a bitter aftertaste, but pleasant and not overwhelming.

M: medium bodied and refreshing. Rather high carbonation, but still enjoyable as a session beer.

O: a very complete effort. Complex and enjoyable as a session beer for those who enjoy hops. This will become a staple for me. Another great effort by the folks at CCB. (627 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: medium red/brown in color, small head that fades relatively quickly. The lacing is rather thick and well-defined.

S: One of the best beers I have ever smalled. It's layers of flowers and tropical fruits. Intense and aromatic. I know my bottle isn't super fresh either so this is outstanding.

T: Delicious. A tad hoppier than I expected, this red ale is really complex

M: Mouthcoating, hits all of the sensory areas of your mouth. It even has a long finish. Impressive!

Overall one of the best red ales I have ever had. Cheers! (534 characters)

Tocobaga Red Ale from Cigar City Brewing