Capricho Oscuro - Batch 4 - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Strong Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: BrewCrew2010 on 09-27-2010

A blend of Soggy Loaf Rye Porter, Warmer Winter Winter Warmer, and Big Sound Scotch Ale.
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks Thorpe, neat beer.

Beer is dark brown and appears thick in the glass with a tan head, thin, some lacing.

Beer is a little bitter in the nose, liquor, sweetness, strong aroma.

Maybe my palate was shocked or something but this beer has an acidic twinge to it that I'm not finding in other reviews. It was super sweet and thick up front, gave way to some bourbon and some liquor in the midpalate and finishes with this tart fruitiness and acidity that I wasn't expecting, it was a good beer though. I enjoyed it. (519 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +10%

Bottle from GOGRANDE. Absoutely delicious, rye edge and perfect somewhat sweet chocolate tangle in a porter aged in oak. Some woodiness there leving a drying finish. Good from the first drop to the last, so great drinkability. Pours dark chocolate colour with great foaming head. Perfumey, spicey chocolate and fresh rye. Thickish body. (336 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Huge thanks to Dosbeerigos for sending this my way a few months back. Served in a snifter.

Pours black with a pretty thick consistency. Tan head and some legs as it goes down the glass. The nose brings really nice notes of chocolate, barrel-aging, roast, and some molasses. A bit of dark fruit in the background. The taste really ups the complexity and integrates everything beautifully. Bourbon and chocolate meld completely with some brown sugar, mild vanilla, and a bit of oak. Really nice. Good, smooth body with only a hint of booze. Really quite tasty. I like Batch 2 better, but this was quite a treat. Thanks again, Phil! (630 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Served from bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Poured pitch black with a two and a half finger tan head that subsided to one finger slowly. Maintained decent lacing througout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark fruit, alcohol, and subtle tart apple. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark fruit, alcohol, chocolate, and very slight sour apple. It had a medium feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty decent brew. Not sure if that tart flavor was supposed to be in there or not though. Just didn't seem to flow with the other flavors I experienced here. With that said, it did not kill the brew at all and was still quite enjoyable. It would however, be much better without that aspect though. Once the brew hit room temperature though, the flavor all but disappears as a hint for those who don't like the flavor. A must try from CCB even with this off-flavor. (907 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz bottle that had been sitting in the fridge for a few months. Finally had a chance to split the bottle with my dad who graciously brought it back from his last trip to Florida. Let my half warm for almost an hour as I am writing this.

A: A dark cola/lighter black color. Opaque, non see though. A small head formed when poured. No real lacing left on the glass.

S: Fantastic. Reminds me of standing in the middle of a bourbon rack house. The sweet smell of bourbon and possibly brandy moving in and out of oak/wood and hanging in the air. THey should make air fresheners that smell like this, I would love my house to smell like it. The bourbon/oak smell dominates but there is a bit of dark/sweet fruit and malts in the back too.

T: Dark, sweet fruits like fig, plum, and maybe raisins. I hear that one of the parts of this blend was aged in apple brandy barrels and I get that too, like a (lighter than the other fruit flavors) green apple sweetness. A bit of oak/wood and alcohol on the end. A complex mix of flavors that is hard to discern and pick all of the elements out of but it is very nice. Dark fruits and sweetness dominate the finish with a bit of oak/wood mixed in.

M: Thick without being sludgy or syrupy, Fills the mouth nicely.

D: Very high, probably because I am so in love with the smell of the bourbon/barrels that I just want more of it. The sweetness detracts a bit, but it seems appropriate with the amount of fruit flavors in the beer. The abv is present, adding a little bit of heat to the middle of the beer, but it doesn't really detract.

A very tasty beer and my favorite blended beer that I have had to date. I have only had one of the three beers that went into this, the winter warmer, and I wasn't the biggest fan of that on its own. However the blends does a good job of cutting the overly sweet flavor of that beer that I was turned off by. As stated above,the smell is wonderful in that it reminds me very much of rackhouses where liquors are stored while barrel aging. I am very glad my Dad brought this bottle back with him, seeing that I asked him to pick up various other beers but looked over this one. Would happily pick up a few of these at $10/12oz bottle if I had the chance. (2,230 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

2x12oz bottles shared by me at an epic tasting at beerloco's last night.

Appearance: Pours black, opaque, and displaying a 1 finger khaki crown. Retention and lace are moderate to medium.

Smell: Slight mint note from the rye, dark roast malt, and a hint of peaty malt.

Taste: Same as nose but more vibrant and complimentary. These flavors play off each other quite well.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with nice soft carbonation.

Drinkability: Goes down fairly easy for an American Strong Ale.

The group enjoyed this one quite a bit. (533 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Big thanks to Amanda for sharing this bottle. 12 ounce bottle with copper-colored wax.

The beer pours a dark brown color with a brown head. This is an excellent looking beer, as I have come to expect from Cigar City.

The aroma is chocolate, alcohol, caramel and some brown sugar and molasses notes. The flavor is more of the same, with a lot of roasted malt, dark fruit, chocolate and coffee with some alcohol. I also get some oaked notes, as well as a little bit of vanilla from the barrel aging.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. (543 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Shawn for this brew its a blend of Barrel Aged Rye Porter, Winter Warmer and Big Sound.

A - pours a deep dark brown with a creamy brown head

S - Smells of Chocolate, Oak, vanilla and some fruit maybe cherry

T - Taste is sweet fruit/cherry, wood/oak, vanilla and chocolate notes and some mild booze. The fruit/cherry flavor seems to be dominate the rest of the flavors.

M - As always Cigar City makes you feel like your drinking a meal of a beer. Full Bodied.

D - at 9% its not to bad I could have another (519 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

Thanks Kristina for sharing this at our impromptu tasting at West Lakeview Liquors. Served in a wine glass.

A - Pours with a quick-dissolving half-finger of foam that settles to a thick ring and light haze on top. A few spots of lace are left behind. Black body with a hint of reddish-brown transparency.

S - Big aromas of chocolate, wet barrel, sharp oak, vanilla, and a hint of bourbon. There's some defintie cherry cordial and dark fruit character as well. The sweetness emerges more as it warms and starts to overtake the barrel notes.

T - Lots of tannic oak and spicy wood in the flavor. Vanilla and malted chocolate. Surprisingly well-hidden alcohol, and an oaky finish.

M - Low soft carbonation, smooth as chocolate. Medium-full body, very easy to drink for the style.

D - This is quite good. Not as good as the #2, but definitely much better than the #3. (867 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Got this from the generous folks at Cigar City. Poured into a chalice. Not a lot of head; just a bit of mocha foam that thinly covers the pitch black body.

Lots of great aromas on this one. At first whiff, it is a little boozy. Great combination of vanilla and licorice. Nice dark fruit smell as well. Probably most like dates.

This is very fruity. Any roasted character from blended stouts takes a back seat to the fruitiness. The chocolate and vanilla flavors add to the sweetness. As I nearly finish my glass, I notice a lot of grape flavor in the finish.

Good mouthfeel and drinkability for the style. Really glad to have had a chance to try this one. (658 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks a ton to my brother Andy for cracking this one. The body is dark brown with just a ring of thin tan lace. The aroma is a bit hot to begin. Followed by dates and other dark fruits and a bit of vanilla and spice. Really a lot going on this one, a little bit tough to pinpoint any one thing. Definitely a very boozy and reminds me of a good bourbon. The taste is complex much like the smell, dark fruits, a bit of toffee and vanilla and oak. This really does reminds me of some bourbons I've had. Certainly a sipper. The mouthfeel is smooth and a bit thick with good carbonation. As previously stated, this is a sipper, but drinks really well for a nine percent beer. Certainly unique and worth giving a shot. (713 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

i decided to crack this one to myself in the middle of my epic halloween tasting last night. poured into a pint glass and enjoyed during a very long walk around the neighborhood, this one was consumed on 10/30/2010.

near perfect pour as the dark brown liquid chugged into the glass. a towering head of dark chocolate colored foam then rose up from the bottom of the glass and took over the entire look. simply amazing looking at this point.

aroma is massively complex as the brandy hits you right away. warming, but not overpowering with hints of brown sugar, cocoa, nice warm vanilla and oak notes and a touch of cedar. really just marvelous. as i take the first sip, the silky smoothness of it coats the palate perfectly leaving every nook and cranny filled with a wonderful mixture of brandy, wood, and vanilla notes that just seemed to be neverending. warming it brings out some things that i simply cannot explain. a rich and warm flavor that i could not get enough of. tobacco and leather round it out and the overall feeling i am left with is outstanding.

one of the best things to come out of ccb in a while in my opinion.. this was a very welcome treat last night. (1,176 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

I bought two wax-dipped 12-ounce bottles at the brewery for $10 each. I hope it was worth it.

Pours into my tulip glass totally black with a short brown head.

Super-complex aroma of brandy barrels, nuts, fruit and chocolate, plus more elements I can't identify. Suffice it to say it's good.

The taste is also complex. The brandy notes are quite apparent, but this isn't a boozy mess. Sweet malt notes of caramel, dried fruit and more help balance the alcohol flavors.

Creamy body, of course. Very nice.

Overall this is a very fine beer to sip and enjoy in moderation, which works with its price. (600 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip.

Pitch black body with tiny carbonation running up the sides of the glass. I got 2 fingers of dark beige head. Oilly legs tend to pull lacing back into the depths of the brew. The retention is pretty solid.

The nose is spicy and oaky. Hints of dark chocolate and dark berries as well. Oak really take over the nose though.

Taste of spicy oak, blackberries/blueberries, dark chocolate, hints of bourbon, and some graham crackers as well. Tannins and vinous notes. Quite complex. Not really like anything I have tasted. Smokey aftertaste.

Fairly thick with really nice, smooth carbonation. Kind of dry and quite vinous.

A really interesting beer. I would only want 12 oz's though. (714 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to kbutler1 for cracking this one!

Poured into Duck Rabbit snifter.

Pours a 1/2 finger of light tan head. Color is fairly black.

Aroma: I get a lot of warming brandy and oak here. Some vanilla, caramel, toffee, chocolate, lightly roasted malts. I don't get too much rye here. The brandy covers up a lot of the bourbon. It also has some dark fruits, molasses, and syrup flavors.

Taste: Sweet brandy flavors with a nice amount of oak and spice. The bourbon shows a little more as it warms. Chocolate, caramel, toffee, and roasted malts all blend together well here. More plums, dried apples, molasses, and syrup flavors shows. It is warming, but in a good way.

Mouthfeel: Warming, smooth, creamy, and silky. Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with warming barrel notes, a bit dry.

Overall, a really nice offering from CCB. The brandy shows a lot here and I really like it. I didn't get alot of the rye, but I am sure it was in there somewhere adding a nice layer. A very nice beer. Very drinkable. (1,031 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottle courtesy of cyrusthepup from BA. Pours a very dark brown color with a slightly tan head. Nice strong aroma of a mix caramel, chocolate, vanilla, oak, and dark fruit. The taste again is a nice blend of multiple flavors and it's somewhat hard to pick out specific flavors. The barrels really make an appearance as the glass warms. Some nice chocolate and dark fruit with a nice slight bitterness that lingers. Some booze evident but not overly so or in a bad way. Some sweetness as well. I wish I was more familiar with the CCB line up to be able to pick out the specific beers but nonetheless this is a really tasty beer. Medium mouthfeel with slight carbonation. (669 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Bottle shared by a gentleman from FL - much obliged!

Pours an almost opaque brown color with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of boozy caramel malts with hints of roastiness, light chocolate, and vanilla. Also present are slight amounts of dark fruits and butterscotch.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Thick caramel malt flavors kick things off and are joined almost immediately by good amounts of light chocolate and vanilla. Midway through the sip hints of toffee work their way into things. Right before the end of the sip hints of roastiness and dark fruits make a brief appearance before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a smooth thickness with soft carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I had no problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I enjoyed this blend but it barely passed the threshold of having too much going on. Still, a very interesting and tasty beer that's worth a shot. (1,026 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

I promised myself I'd hold out before I opened a bottle. It turns out I lie. 12oz bottle poured into my Holy Mackerel Goblet.

A: Black with a light brown 1/2 finger head. Maroon at the edges with no light passing through.

S: Malt and a lot of booziness. Brandy and Bourbon? Very complex.

T: It depends on the drink. What a complex beer. The flavors are just layered in. Caramel,chocolate,dark fruit,apple,brandy, bourbon, etc,etc etc...Hard to describe other than saying its just fantastic

M: Smooth. Carbonation is there, but the beer just coats your mouth.

D: Perfection as far as blends go. It's a sipper and very enjoyable. Glad they went with 12oz bottles instead of 750's. (684 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WTF!?! A apple brandy aged winter with a burbon big sound, with a slice of rye porter... I have never had a beer this complex... layers of flavors and smells take this puppy for a ride. The first sip has the apple, then the dry porter, then the sweet and pungent combo of the winter and big sound I enjoyed this "Wonka" creation at the brewery, via the "sea bass'. oh yeah by the way sea bass has a Black Saison on tap and bottle right now., this is BETTER then the CAMPEDOR. I promise. (486 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

A: slight redish dark brown with a very small head.

S: sweetness of the BA big sound with some mandrin orange from the Winter Warmer. Not getting much brandy on the nose though. Little boozy smelling. Not alot though. Definitely a unique nose.

T: layered affect from the blend. very nice. all the flavors from the beers are blending well. I get alot of the BA big sound in the middle. Reminds me of the big sound of nutts a little. I had the beer a few hours ago and this is a half ass review from memory so I apologize. I should have written this down :(

M: pretty silky. Nice medium feel. I was expecting something a little different. But this is good.

D: very drinkable. It def smells more boozy than it taste.

Thoughts: I have never had a bad CCB beer. I know I am a little bias because I am from FL, but I am just being honest. CCB is great. All the guys over there are very friendly and talented. Thanks CCB for constantly being a solid rep for Florida craft beer. You make me happy. :)

-Shawn (1,008 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +18.4%

A: This beer pours a thick, syrupy, black body with about 1/2 finger brown head. Very creamy texture that quickly diminishes. I also noticed a lot of sediment at the bottom of the glass. Put that aside, loved the bottle.

S: A strong malt aroma with dark fruit notes. A little booze can be picked up that reminds me of a port. Other smells are vanilla from the oak, chocolate, caramel, and a hint of roasted coffee in the background.

T: Wow-zaa's! A unique beer that has an amazing flavor that changes so rapidly it's hard to decided what you just tasted and where you should start this review. Smooth chocolate malt upfront, followed with a bitter-sweet dark fruits and caramel, and ends with a milk chocolate and roasted epresso finish. Great dry aftertaste that's mildly bitter and boozey warm from the high ABV. Other heavenly flavors include molasses, spices, and vanilla (from the oak barrels).

M: A creamy and thick texture that has a full body with light carbonation.

D: Love love love this beer. Got it at the Fruit in the Room event & really bummed they only had 800 bottles. Definitely a sipping beer and would love to have this again, but for $10 for a 12oz, I only got 6 and will save these for special holidays. (1,237 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last