Sea Bass - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: aepb1 on 09-29-2010

According to the head brewer, this a "dark farmhouse ale".
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 109
3.21/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Shared large bottle.
Huge foamy head from a bottle that was itself foaming over.
Medium-high tartness with mild bitterness. Plenty fruity.
Boozy, funky, sour aroma.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Actually improved quite a bit with age! Opened this with Wayne from CCB and was surprised how good it was!

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle opened on 6.30.14

Spices, figs, oaky, saison yeast.

3.22/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml, 2010?
Lost Abbey tulip

A: Pours a murky reddish hued brown color. Tons of carbonation, over carbo. Four fingers off white slightly tan head. Tiny bubbles streaming up sides of glass. The cap had dark brown funky goop on it.

S: Smells like a full on sour beer, more than a Saison. As I have heard, this one has gotten funky over the years. Balsamic vinegar. Tart cherry. Tanic woodiness. Smells of Flanders red.

T: Tip of the tongue is that tart acidic sour tinge. Then in the middle of the palate you get this strange OFF funkiness. Like rancid woodiness. Infection maybe? Not pleasant. There is an almost cocoa like flavor in there. Finish is dry, but some of that funk lingers with you.

M: Medium bodied. Thank god carbonation sort of clears the palate.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

My dad picked this up for me when he visited last November. I poured this one into my CCB snifter because I do not have a chalice.

Appearance: Holy moly a geyser. This one spewed all over my computer desk as I opened it then I let it drip down into the snifter. Once I got it under control and poured a little, it had a huge rocky head on top of a murky dark brown beer.

Smell: This one has a huge smell which is nice on a fall evening. I smell apple juice, maybe some nutmeg and other fall spices. The yeast is a dominant factor here, lending a significant load of character.

Taste: This one has a load of character. A very prickly acidity over a somewhat dark malt base. This beer is somewhat sour or tart, maybe a bit too much. A bit of roast char is noticeable after a few sips also. For 8 ABV, the alcohol is actually quite apparent.

Mouthfeel: This one is over carbed, maybe from letting it sit for almost a year. The body is middling and the flavors coat the mouth quite well.

Overall: Not a balanced beer, but really flavorful. I am glad to have had it before CCB quite brewing it. An experiment that did not quite hit it's mark.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Pours a dark brown with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt and some sour and tart fruity aromas. Taste is much the same with a slightly tart finish. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is quite tasty and easy to drink.

4.04/5  rDev +11.6%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from bomber into pint glass.

A: Dark reddish brown, with quite a bit of tan head. There is significant visible carbonation.

S: Sour, vinegar, funky tart, rotting strawberries, with a background sweet smell.

T: Tart, sour, sour pineapple, funky, acerbic. All with a dry finish that is a bit puckering.

M: More light bodied than it looked. Carbonation lends tingliness to the mouthfeel.

O: This is good, but I wish there were more overt fruit flavors here. I will say that this one REALLY improves as it warms up a little. So make sure you savor slowly and let it come up several degrees!

3.16/5  rDev -12.7%

A: I wish I could say I've had worse experiences (cough, White Birch Eorna Coele Ale). Starts growing like a tumor. Takes 15-20 mins to pour this foam monster. Once the shaving cream settles in the sink of my cup, it's dark brown and THE murkiest beer I've ever seen. No light penetration, even though the color is decidedly medium brown. Head is brick brown khaki.

S: Brett's in the house. Actually smells pretty good- funky tartness with a chunk of pie and oatmeal.

T: Well this is a delicious milkshake. It's so thick, must be littered with yeast. Progressively more and more tart but mild overall in effect. Tart flavor is most akin to plums, but this isn't quite where I wanna pin my finger.

M: Mouthful. Thick and creamy... Interesting. Tartness dries the palate slightly.

O: Glad I wasn't the one who bought this. It'd probably be a pretty decent beer without so much yeast in the bottle mucking it up.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

From 750mL bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/4/12
*From notes

A: Deep, interior artery blood in color. The moment I begin pouring this, it foams up like none other. I mean a 4+ finger head and then some. Even though the head is massive, it doesn't leave any lacing or a collar.

S: Funky. I get the feeling this isn't intentional.

T: Yeah. This is infected. Not in a bad way though, as it's actually pretty tasty. It's a bit tart from the start, but it evens out on the mid, where some dark fruit hits. Toward the back, the funk fades ever so slightly to reveal a medium toasted malt.

M: Just explodes in the mouth like a bottle of good champagne. Massive Costco quantities of carbonation.

O: One of the best infected beers I've stumbled across. Seriously. If I were Joey Redner, I'd tell folks that this was intentional, as it drinks well and has plenty of redeeming qualities. Other then the feel, I'd give this a thumb up. But if you're still holding it, drink now. It's only gonna get worse.

4.29/5  rDev +18.5%

poured from a 750ml bottle into my tulip glass

A-dark mahogany with a tan 4 finger head that stuck around for the whole glass.

S-lots of sour cherry smell. Smells tart like this style should hoping there is real lactobacillus in it. smells are positive.

T-dark cherry flavor with a tartness in the finish. very nice balance between the sweet and sour. Lacto was used in this one and it rates high on my list.

M-very light and crisp. very carbonated and bright.

Overall-I really enjoyed and will search out more.

4.14/5  rDev +14.4%

An interesting beer. I know that some people have had infection issues with this one, but mine is basically fine, except for the fact that it's over carbonated. No off flavors or medicinal tastes, just some pleasant funk and sour. Foams terribly when poured- far too much time to settle the head, at least 10 minutes for the multiple pours required. A slightly murky brown with a fluffy head. Nicely sour on the nose, with some zingy fruitiness and a hint of darkness. The taste is even better, with a nice balance between a dark, almost roasty taste and some sour and light funk with a coffee and bitter chocolate and orange juice finish, and a nice creaminess. An unusual interplay of flavors, but don't get me wrong- the flavors are more spaced out rather than intermingled, so the seemingly competing flavors work nicely layered as they are. I enjoyed this a good bit, especially after it sat for an hour or so and lost much of the excess carbonation.

2.94/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish snifter

A- pours dark brown with a crazy puffy light tan head....this is way too overcarbed, because it took me a good....15 minutes to fill my snifter to a drinkable level. Man, that's not a good sign

S- the aroma is strong with tart cherries. Umm...if that's supposed to be the aroma, it's great. If not....uh oh.

T- tart cherry taste, but there's something off about it....almost a medicinal quality to it as opposed to a pure cherry one

M- there's a very chalky quality to it...I'm not a fan at all

O- if this was intended to be a sour, it's not a great one. If this was intended to be something else, it's a sour. Very disappointing, my second infection from CCB

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Many thanks to Beenitty for this one. I have had this 3 different times. Once fresh, once with about a year on it, and then now. This probably has 2+ yrs on it. Poured from bottle into farmhouse ale glass. Pours a dark murky brown color- this one is a gusher for sure. uh oh. Head fills the glass, takes awhile to recede. Smell- sour cherries, band aids, plastic, candied sugar. This is probably a CCB infection that has developed over time. Sadly, this was a great beer when I had it fresh and better about a year later. The extra time here hasn't helped. Taste- sour cherries, tart brown sugar, funky funky twangy tart! I love it! This was not what I expected when I smelled this one. Mouthfeel is tight carbonation to the point of being a little stingy, but it works for the style. This is just a crazy funky brew that has developed into something that I am sure CCB did not intend, but I like the result.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing, Cavery!

Murky, hazed auburn and ruby, almost brown, with a thick, pillowing, persistent khaki colored head. This beer is hugely carbonated and leaves lots of stick on the glass.

The aroma is interesting and unique, like no other beer I've ever smelled, and it's an interesting combination of red wine vinegar, tart and sour cherries, other dark and tart fruits, and some sweet toffee. This probably is infected, but perhaps this beer has even been improved?--not that I would know.

Flavors of vinegar, tart and sour cherries, stinging sourness, and toffee candies combine for an interesting and wildly complex beer. One to sip and savor.

This beer is too highly carbonated. It literally feels like Pop Rocks popping in the back of the mouth and even down your throat during the swallow. Again, interesting, but certainly a flaw.

A really interesting beer to drink, sip, and talk about. I'm sure this wasn't what they intended, but it really does work quite well.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

A hazy brown beer, an off-white head leaving little lacing but good curtains.

Smelling of disinfectant (acetic acid, ethanol, ethyl acetate) and red vinegar.

Some upfront pure sugar sweetness, then the acetic acid and some alcohol.

Little carbonation, soft with small bubbles, a light dry finish.

When I read the above it sounds much worse than it is, sour chemical nuances, but not really bad.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a Dogfish Head Head Snifter.

Color: Dark brown with a huge tan head that won't quit.

Smell: Spicy, Earth notes, hop and slighly pungent.

Taste: Lots of spice, some earth tones with hops, slightly sour.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, coarse with a dry feel.

Overall: Open over the sink! I didn't but it wasn't too messy. The was huge but awesome. I enjoyed but a bottle was too much for my brother and I to handle. It's a wild brew that I'm glad I tried. Cheers!

3.12/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle. Opens up as a slight gusher. Poured into a tulip glass a dark tan brown color with a big, lively light tan head. The aroma is sour apple, pear, and slight roast. Light MF. Sour upfront, acetone, with slight coffee roast note that adds some bitterness. Hmm, this is an odd one and I am not so sure it is suppose to be sour. It works but struggles a bit. I’m just ok on this one. Some booze noticeable as it warms.

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%

big thanks to kirkpjr for this one !

poured cold from the bottle a deep dark mahogany brown to a dogfish head signature glass with a huge two+ finger long lasting head leaving a fair amount of spotty lace after each sip.

funky, near vinegar aroma.

very funky, dirty, farmhouse, vinegar, overripe fruit, tart and sour.

huge carbonation, medium bodied, tart and a dry finish.

overall - interesting, though not a favorite style, so perhaps not a fair review. very tart.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Pours a deep mahogany color with a big fluffy khaki head that falls slowly with lots of lace.

Aroma is nice big funky, sour lots of wine like notes. Light fruity grapes, lemon zest lots of spice on earthy/sugary malts.

Taste is tart fruits, lots of spice zesty fun on a nice sugary malt base with earthy notes. Very different saison really tart and fruity tries to override the sugary malt bass but its always there trying to peak through. Fun to keep sipping and enjoying.

Mouthfeel is nice medium lively carbonation but seems to go good with the style.

Overall a different brew but finding it enjoyable just sipping and trying to figure it out.

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%

Received this 750ml bottle in a trade and I pour it into my Lost Abbey tulip to review.

Not quite what I'd call a gusher, but I'd certainly recommend opening it over the sink nonetheless. Huge tan colored pillowey head rests atop this dark brown beer that has carbonation bubbles rising constantly keeping the retention at an inch or greater. It takes some time for the retention to fall below this marker, but the next pour of this big beer puts it right back above that level. Thick, lasting lace lines the inside of the tulip.

Quite fizzy and citrusy on the nose with tons of lemon and some vinous qualities a la white and red grape. Citrusy and grassy hops in addition to hints of sour and oak help balance the fruity tones out.

Taste is even more vinous than my nose suggested with red grape dominating. The citrusy hops and lemon are still there, but they take a backseat to the sour red grape taste. I am even getting hints of chocolate malt in there.

Mouth is on the dry side with a medium body and massive prickly carbonation. Pretty smooth medium length finish of dry sour grape.

Certainly they get bonus points for this being quite a unique beer to me. Actually one of the better saisons I've had to date and I like the heavier body and sour grape notes that I usually do not find in the style. Wish I lived within their distribution limits so I could try some of their other beers.

Bottle: Poured a dark color ale with a huge dirty beige foamy head with excellent retention and some great lacing. Aroma of tart notes is more powerful then I had expected with some funky yeast and some light spices. Taste is a weird mix between light balsamic notes with some wood and a subtle vinous feel with strong tart notes and some funky yeast. Body is slightly above average with great carbonation. Very interesting beer with a mix between lightly roasted malt and balsamic vinegar.

Lots of haze and cloudiness here with a large two finger high head of white foam that just would not receded. Lots of carbonation coming up from the bottom to reinforce it.

The aroma was loaded with spices. Hints of lemon and cinnamon where abound here, with a rich earthy mix to it. Lots of almost a nutmeg I am picking up here. The flavor took off right where that left off. A rich mixture of lemon, fresh grass, light fruit flavors and a ton of spice. Nice hints of allspice, cinnamon and pepper here. Nice light to medium body feel capped it off very well and the overall drinkability was very nice,

Overall not half bad. Not the best in the style I had ever had, but definitely worth seeking out to try again

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

Bottle thanks to mntlover. Pours a mahogany body with a large beige head. Good retention with lots of clumpy lacing.

Aroma has barnyard funk, dark fruits, earthy hops, and a pronounced spicy component of clove, nutmeg, coriander, and "burn your nose" black peppercorns.

Creamy carbonation with a medium body.

Taste is very complex. Dark fruits, clove, coriander, pepper,earthy hops, sour cherries,grapes, brown sugar, and even a hint of chocolate. Lots of different elements competing for your attention here but it all comes together somehow.

Don't really know what to make of these dark saisons but this one is very drinkable even with so much going on. Very interesting experience.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

This went over well at a beer tasting with everyone. Mainly the taste. People talked about reducing it down for a steak or salad.

Poured a cola color with a gigantic tan head that had good rentention and lacing.

The aroma was of malt vinegar, green apple roasted malt and earthy hops. Nothing complex, but dominantly funky and sour with vinegar ruling.

The taste was of balsamic vineagar, hints of citrus, and earthy hops with a backbone of roasted malt, a touch of chocolate, green apple and sour cherry. quite complex and delicious.

Overall a very interesting and good beear. A definite sipper that takes a little getting used to.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

I bought some of these at Knightly Spirits in Orlando. The rep told me that they probably won't be brewing this again. Bullshit.

A: Since this is a dark saison, the dark color was appropriate. Dark brown, with a mildly cloudy reddish tint. The mocha head just sat there, and sat there, and sat there.

S: Big sour funk. I can't believe this didn't have Brett in it actually. Once I put my mind to it, I got some farmhouse.

T: Like an intense brown sugary saison. Does that even make sense? There was very much a dark fruit element in the mid section of this brew. Dates perhaps? The finish was pretty bitter, especially considering this was a farmhouse brew.

M: HIGHLY carbonated, with a bit of chocolatey, farmhouse lingering. The lacing was moderate.

O: Not one of Cigar City's best efforts, however, I still found this one worthy... especially considering I only bought my bottles for around $7-8.

Sea Bass from Cigar City Brewing