Sea Bass - Cigar City Brewing

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

According to the head brewer, this a "dark farmhouse ale".

(Beer added by: aepb1 on 09-29-2010)
Reviews by ibbjamin:
4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

Received this 750ml bottle in a trade and I pour it into my Lost Abbey tulip to review.

Not quite what I'd call a gusher, but I'd certainly recommend opening it over the sink nonetheless. Huge tan colored pillowey head rests atop this dark brown beer that has carbonation bubbles rising constantly keeping the retention at an inch or greater. It takes some time for the retention to fall below this marker, but the next pour of this big beer puts it right back above that level. Thick, lasting lace lines the inside of the tulip.

Quite fizzy and citrusy on the nose with tons of lemon and some vinous qualities a la white and red grape. Citrusy and grassy hops in addition to hints of sour and oak help balance the fruity tones out.

Taste is even more vinous than my nose suggested with red grape dominating. The citrusy hops and lemon are still there, but they take a backseat to the sour red grape taste. I am even getting hints of chocolate malt in there.

Mouth is on the dry side with a medium body and massive prickly carbonation. Pretty smooth medium length finish of dry sour grape.

Certainly they get bonus points for this being quite a unique beer to me. Actually one of the better saisons I've had to date and I like the heavier body and sour grape notes that I usually do not find in the style. Wish I lived within their distribution limits so I could try some of their other beers.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle thanks to mntlover. Pours a mahogany body with a large beige head. Good retention with lots of clumpy lacing.

Aroma has barnyard funk, dark fruits, earthy hops, and a pronounced spicy component of clove, nutmeg, coriander, and "burn your nose" black peppercorns.

Creamy carbonation with a medium body.

Taste is very complex. Dark fruits, clove, coriander, pepper,earthy hops, sour cherries,grapes, brown sugar, and even a hint of chocolate. Lots of different elements competing for your attention here but it all comes together somehow.

Don't really know what to make of these dark saisons but this one is very drinkable even with so much going on. Very interesting experience.

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Large bottle, capped, w/o freshness/bottling date info, $12.99 at DeCicco's in Ardsley, NY

Pours dark mahogany, under an initially huge medium tan head slowly fading, then a thicker film and thick strands of lace.

Pungent nose highlighted by lactic sourness, fruity funkiness and a hint vinegar as well as earthy goodness.

Solidly sour for a saison, more fresh fruit, earthy, jammy, complex and flavorful. More interesting, out of the box, but still approachable creation from CC. Keep em coming to NY, enjoying each one...

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Thanks to blut59 for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a reddish-amber color with a large light tan head. A lot darker than a lot of saisons I have tried. The aroma is a mix of toffee and tart cherries. It doesn't smell as sour as I expected it to.

The flavor is where the sourness comes in. I get a lot of tart cherries, some vinegar notes, caramel and toffee malt and some red wine notes. The sour/tart aspects of the beer are very well done and blend very well with the other flavors.

Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

A very nice sour beer from an amazing brewery.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

3.73/5  rDev +3%

Bottle

Thanks for sharing, Cavery!

Murky, hazed auburn and ruby, almost brown, with a thick, pillowing, persistent khaki colored head. This beer is hugely carbonated and leaves lots of stick on the glass.

The aroma is interesting and unique, like no other beer I've ever smelled, and it's an interesting combination of red wine vinegar, tart and sour cherries, other dark and tart fruits, and some sweet toffee. This probably is infected, but perhaps this beer has even been improved?--not that I would know.

Flavors of vinegar, tart and sour cherries, stinging sourness, and toffee candies combine for an interesting and wildly complex beer. One to sip and savor.

This beer is too highly carbonated. It literally feels like Pop Rocks popping in the back of the mouth and even down your throat during the swallow. Again, interesting, but certainly a flaw.

A really interesting beer to drink, sip, and talk about. I'm sure this wasn't what they intended, but it really does work quite well.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

Poured into my Duvel tulip this Saison pours a very very very dark ruby brown, with an impressive dark tan head that fills the rest of the glass.

S: The aroma is dominate tart fruit, grapes, and cider. (I don't want to say vinegar....vinegar is harsh this is not). The nose lacks complexity that a great sour should have.

T: The flavor is a very earthy, less extreme tartness. Again, fruit and cider. The flavor is a little harsh on the back end of the pallet, but overall this would be a great introductory beer for someone not used to the extreme end that we're taking sour beer.

MF: The mouthfeel thins out greatly, as a matter of fact, I wasn't paying attention to it until I came to the review point. This is not characteristic of a Belgium here.

D: Drinkability is good, I'd put the ABV at around 6.5 or 7....but that is just a guess.

Overall, I am somewhat impressed. It seems like CCB only improves on what they put out. I'm not sure of the brewing process of this one (Do they age it in Sea Bass tanks?), but this is a little too sour to be a Saison, and would be an excellent base to a very promising American Wild Ale.

1.8/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

A - Poured a nice rich brown / black into chalice

S - sour fruit , tart, background malt

T - Sour, nasty, vinegary - tastes like a bad beer - Bad OJ, tomato and yeasts.

M- Nothing special or bad to report. Medium body.

O - Umm, I wont ever have it again. Just not to my liking at all. To me this was like some mutant cocktail of bad orange juice taste extract mixed with a flat malt beer body and just plain bad.

4.38/5  rDev +21%

Poured into an Allagash Tulip.

Pours dark brown with a giant tan head. Great retention and lacing. Very dark for a Saison (I'm used to pale Saisons).

Smell is tart with hints of ripe fruit and vinegar. Taste is very clean. By that I mean there is a distinct funk/tartness, but it does not linger where it's not wanted. Reminds me of an Oud Bruin in some ways, but much more crisp on the tounge than most Oud Bruins I've had.

This is a unique take on the Saison style, and CCB pulled it off well. This one is worth seeking out for fans of funky beer. It won't blow your socks off with sourness, but the balance of flavors is praise worthy.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Bottle.

Pours a dark purplish-brown color with a one-finger light tan head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of medium malts with solid amounts of tart cherry and lighter amounts of darker fruits - figs with hints of plums.

Tastes similar to how it smells although the fruit flavors aren't quite as robust. Neutral dark malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solid amounts of moderately tart cherry flavors. Midway through the sip the flavors thicken up a bit with hints of earthy yeast flavors. Finally, dark fruit flavors make a brief appearance near the end of the sip before fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass quickly and could have another.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, kind of a darker, less sweet Flanders Red in that wasn't too overdone on the tartness. Worth a shot.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Many thanks to Beenitty for this one. I have had this 3 different times. Once fresh, once with about a year on it, and then now. This probably has 2+ yrs on it. Poured from bottle into farmhouse ale glass. Pours a dark murky brown color- this one is a gusher for sure. uh oh. Head fills the glass, takes awhile to recede. Smell- sour cherries, band aids, plastic, candied sugar. This is probably a CCB infection that has developed over time. Sadly, this was a great beer when I had it fresh and better about a year later. The extra time here hasn't helped. Taste- sour cherries, tart brown sugar, funky funky twangy tart! I love it! This was not what I expected when I smelled this one. Mouthfeel is tight carbonation to the point of being a little stingy, but it works for the style. This is just a crazy funky brew that has developed into something that I am sure CCB did not intend, but I like the result.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Review from notes 4/8/11.

A: Pours a hazy dark brown with a very large, off-white head. Very nice retention and leaves rings of lacing. Darkest saison/farmhouse I have ever seen.

S: A surprising amount of cherry, a little bit of apple, and some raisins.

T: Surprisingly tart for the style. Lots of cherry and apple again.
Definitely sour with some wood.

M: Medium bodied with high carbonation. Makes your mouth pucker a little due to the sourness.

O: I quite like the flavors, but if I had to guess the style, I would never have guessed saison/farmhouse, none of the aspects present make me think of a classic in this style.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Reviewed from notes, thanks to Mike for sharing this one at Halloween tasting. Poured into tulip, dark brown with a thick brown head that fades to a small cap, good retention and lacing. Smell is a bit of funk, lots of hops, slightly sour, candi sugar. Taste is a bit sour, some funk, lots of bitter floral hops, a hint of alcohol and sweet apples in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium/light bodied with a high carbonation. A decent beer and interesting for the style, but not the most drinkable saison (is it really a saison?) i can think of.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle I bought at Rattle 'N' Hum. This is a wild ale, and is more reedish flemish than saison. I smell yeast and cuvee. Dark reddish colour, lacey. A smooth creamy head and mouthfeel.Vinegary sour and citrus hoppiness that makes it more of a sipper but addictive.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into my Ommegang snifter glass.

A - Brown with slight lacing along the glass.

S - Smells like sour cherries. Not like too many saisons I've come across. Also a bit of an earthy smell.

T - This tastes similar to a whiskey sour. A little brun at the end but the initial taste is quite sour. I could see this going with asian food for contrast.

M - Bubbly carbonation. Fairly light.

D - I think the sourness makes this one a little tough to have more than one. I do like this better than Guava Grove.

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

750ml bottle

A- Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Pours a very dark brownish black color with a light tan head with awesome retention and lacing all over the glass.

S- The aroma is sweet, tart, fruity and yeasty. Smells very similar to Guava Grove. Very nice!

T- The taste is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic. The taste starts out sweet and tart with some dark fruits and a smooth yeasty finish.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied and exceptionally smooth with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I really enjoyed Sea Bass. Yet another fantastic offering from Cigar City. Well done!

Sea Bass from Cigar City Brewing