2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sea Bass - Cigar City Brewing

Sea BassSea Bass

good

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

According to the head brewer, this a "dark farmhouse ale".

(Beer added by: aepb1 on 09-29-2010)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 180 | Reviews: 106 | Show All Ratings:
TKEbeerman

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip this Saison pours a very very very dark ruby brown, with an impressive dark tan head that fills the rest of the glass.

S: The aroma is dominate tart fruit, grapes, and cider. (I don't want to say vinegar....vinegar is harsh this is not). The nose lacks complexity that a great sour should have.

T: The flavor is a very earthy, less extreme tartness. Again, fruit and cider. The flavor is a little harsh on the back end of the pallet, but overall this would be a great introductory beer for someone not used to the extreme end that we're taking sour beer.

MF: The mouthfeel thins out greatly, as a matter of fact, I wasn't paying attention to it until I came to the review point. This is not characteristic of a Belgium here.

D: Drinkability is good, I'd put the ABV at around 6.5 or 7....but that is just a guess.

Overall, I am somewhat impressed. It seems like CCB only improves on what they put out. I'm not sure of the brewing process of this one (Do they age it in Sea Bass tanks?), but this is a little too sour to be a Saison, and would be an excellent base to a very promising American Wild Ale.

10-06-2010 23:15:39 | More by TKEbeerman
mondegreen

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured into an Allagash Tulip.

Pours dark brown with a giant tan head. Great retention and lacing. Very dark for a Saison (I'm used to pale Saisons).

Smell is tart with hints of ripe fruit and vinegar. Taste is very clean. By that I mean there is a distinct funk/tartness, but it does not linger where it's not wanted. Reminds me of an Oud Bruin in some ways, but much more crisp on the tounge than most Oud Bruins I've had.

This is a unique take on the Saison style, and CCB pulled it off well. This one is worth seeking out for fans of funky beer. It won't blow your socks off with sourness, but the balance of flavors is praise worthy.

10-02-2010 20:05:11 | More by mondegreen
babaracas

4.33/5  rDev +19%

Black sea bass on the label, a dark saison inside... pours a cloudy dark brown-orange, towering cream colored head fades slowly to a quarter inch leaving a ring of thick lace. Smell: caramel sweetness, soft banana, big tropical fruit, musty, acidic. Taste: guava, papaya, really tart but softened by caramel and banana, spicy. Apparently this is Guava Grove with just a touch of something extra. Really tasty.

Late Aug/Sept 2010 bottling.

On second thought, the tart components of this are pretty similar to a Flanders red ala Rodenbach grand cru...

10-01-2010 05:35:46 | More by babaracas
CampusCrew

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

appearance: dark and stout like, low head retention.

smell: wow, I could tell it was a sour as I opened. I had no idea. lots of tart cherry aromas.

taste: not very balanced, the sourness takes over the beer. very tart citrus up front some dark malt present, but strong unpleasant vinegar flavors and I like sour beers.

mouthfeel: pretty thin bodied

drinkability: probably my least favorite CC to date, but if this is their worst beer, that's amazing. I'll age one and check later.

09-30-2010 20:55:50 | More by CampusCrew
afksports

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

Two review prefaces: I'm a total amateur, and I don't much like the saison/farmhouse style.

That said, when I heard they were celebrating the release of this during NYC Beer Week at Rattle N' Hum, I pretty much ran from class. Huge fan of CCB.

I got a pour from a bomber bottle into a 8oz-ish snifter. It's dark brown with a reddish hue around the edges at the bottom and has a little bit of graininess to it. There's a sour aroma that's pretty inviting, and the first sip echoes that. There's a lemon lime tartness going on in the middle, and that meets a sweetness. It has a solid medium to light body, but it's not too heavy. By the end of the sip it finishes clean but with "some funk" (thanks aepb1, I didn't know how to describe it). That funk ultimately turned me off to it and lowered its drinkability for me, but there's no question it's a complex and complete brew. Props to Cigar City!

09-30-2010 01:44:10 | More by afksports
aepb1

4.55/5  rDev +25%

A- Dark, opaque brown with a foamy brownish head and wonderful lacing

S- Spicey fruits, sour but something earthy/sweet in the nose too

T- Tart fruit up front and a nice crisp finish. In the middle you get a whole bunch of sweetness and in the aftertaste as well. It's got some funk like a wild ale

M- Medium bodied, creamy feel from the carbonation... interesting for the style but the feel works real well with the sourness

D- I love the warming from this as well. Overall, the take on the Farmhouse Ale is an interesting one being tart and that touch of sweetness too. I enjoy it quite a bit.

09-29-2010 21:58:00 | More by aepb1