Sea Bass - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: aepb1 on 09-29-2010

According to the head brewer, this a "dark farmhouse ale".
3.16/5  rDev -12.7%

A: I wish I could say I've had worse experiences (cough, White Birch Eorna Coele Ale). Starts growing like a tumor. Takes 15-20 mins to pour this foam monster. Once the shaving cream settles in the sink of my cup, it's dark brown and THE murkiest beer I've ever seen. No light penetration, even though the color is decidedly medium brown. Head is brick brown khaki.

S: Brett's in the house. Actually smells pretty good- funky tartness with a chunk of pie and oatmeal.

T: Well this is a delicious milkshake. It's so thick, must be littered with yeast. Progressively more and more tart but mild overall in effect. Tart flavor is most akin to plums, but this isn't quite where I wanna pin my finger.

M: Mouthful. Thick and creamy... Interesting. Tartness dries the palate slightly.

O: Glad I wasn't the one who bought this. It'd probably be a pretty decent beer without so much yeast in the bottle mucking it up.

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

From 750mL bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 4/4/12
*From notes

A: Deep, interior artery blood in color. The moment I begin pouring this, it foams up like none other. I mean a 4+ finger head and then some. Even though the head is massive, it doesn't leave any lacing or a collar.

S: Funky. I get the feeling this isn't intentional.

T: Yeah. This is infected. Not in a bad way though, as it's actually pretty tasty. It's a bit tart from the start, but it evens out on the mid, where some dark fruit hits. Toward the back, the funk fades ever so slightly to reveal a medium toasted malt.

M: Just explodes in the mouth like a bottle of good champagne. Massive Costco quantities of carbonation.

O: One of the best infected beers I've stumbled across. Seriously. If I were Joey Redner, I'd tell folks that this was intentional, as it drinks well and has plenty of redeeming qualities. Other then the feel, I'd give this a thumb up. But if you're still holding it, drink now. It's only gonna get worse.

4.29/5  rDev +18.5%

poured from a 750ml bottle into my tulip glass

A-dark mahogany with a tan 4 finger head that stuck around for the whole glass.

S-lots of sour cherry smell. Smells tart like this style should hoping there is real lactobacillus in it. smells are positive.

T-dark cherry flavor with a tartness in the finish. very nice balance between the sweet and sour. Lacto was used in this one and it rates high on my list.

M-very light and crisp. very carbonated and bright.

Overall-I really enjoyed and will search out more.

4.14/5  rDev +14.4%

An interesting beer. I know that some people have had infection issues with this one, but mine is basically fine, except for the fact that it's over carbonated. No off flavors or medicinal tastes, just some pleasant funk and sour. Foams terribly when poured- far too much time to settle the head, at least 10 minutes for the multiple pours required. A slightly murky brown with a fluffy head. Nicely sour on the nose, with some zingy fruitiness and a hint of darkness. The taste is even better, with a nice balance between a dark, almost roasty taste and some sour and light funk with a coffee and bitter chocolate and orange juice finish, and a nice creaminess. An unusual interplay of flavors, but don't get me wrong- the flavors are more spaced out rather than intermingled, so the seemingly competing flavors work nicely layered as they are. I enjoyed this a good bit, especially after it sat for an hour or so and lost much of the excess carbonation.

2.94/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a bottle into a Dogfish snifter

A- pours dark brown with a crazy puffy light tan head....this is way too overcarbed, because it took me a good....15 minutes to fill my snifter to a drinkable level. Man, that's not a good sign

S- the aroma is strong with tart cherries. Umm...if that's supposed to be the aroma, it's great. If not....uh oh.

T- tart cherry taste, but there's something off about it....almost a medicinal quality to it as opposed to a pure cherry one

M- there's a very chalky quality to it...I'm not a fan at all

O- if this was intended to be a sour, it's not a great one. If this was intended to be something else, it's a sour. Very disappointing, my second infection from CCB

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Many thanks to Beenitty for this one. I have had this 3 different times. Once fresh, once with about a year on it, and then now. This probably has 2+ yrs on it. Poured from bottle into farmhouse ale glass. Pours a dark murky brown color- this one is a gusher for sure. uh oh. Head fills the glass, takes awhile to recede. Smell- sour cherries, band aids, plastic, candied sugar. This is probably a CCB infection that has developed over time. Sadly, this was a great beer when I had it fresh and better about a year later. The extra time here hasn't helped. Taste- sour cherries, tart brown sugar, funky funky twangy tart! I love it! This was not what I expected when I smelled this one. Mouthfeel is tight carbonation to the point of being a little stingy, but it works for the style. This is just a crazy funky brew that has developed into something that I am sure CCB did not intend, but I like the result.

4.5/5  rDev +24.3%