Or - Cigar City Brewing

OrOr

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Black Ale |  11.20% ABV

(Beer added by: CampusCrew on 11-12-2010)
3.8/5  rDev -7.1%

Acquired this in a recent trade with fogdog. Thanks Kevin!

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Pitch black body prevents any light from passing through; totally opaque. A creamy, light brown ring sits on top and drags a respectable amount of web-like lace. Excellent retention. A swirl quickly livens things up, creating a quarter inch of creamy fluff that hangs around for awhile.

Smell: Very much like barbecue: roasty, meaty, spicy, and sappy. Char, caramel, and black pepper are the three specific aromas I continuously come across. Interesting, but also strange. Not sure if I like it.

Taste: Chocolate, pine resin, black pepper, and barbecue comprise the bulk of the flavor profile. Early on, I was getting something very strange: cotton candy and/or bubblegum. That flavor faded with time, but I felt it still deserved mention. As the beer warms, the roasty backbone softens a bit and gives way to caramel.

Mouthfeel: Full, rich, bold, a touch syrupy, warm, dry, and sticky. This is a big beer, but it feels about right (maybe a little easier) for an 11.2% beast.

Drinkability: Aside from the smell, this was a great sipper. It was surprisingly smooth for being 11.2%, while still maintaining boldness and complexity. Well done.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Thanks goes out to G311 for this brew.

Pours a nice black color, nice carbonation, very nice thick/creamy two-finger tan head, with some nice sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with some nice hop notes, licorice, chocolate. The taste is malty, slightly sweet, hoppy, bitter, with some nice licorice and chocolate notes. Medium Body, the ABV is slightly up front on this brew. Drinkable, a tasty brew, I like this one better than the Either.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

12oz. bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter. Brewed with Ty Ty Honey and aged on toasted Spanish Cedar. Drank right after Either.

A - Dark black with a creamy, 2-inch khaki-colored head that recedes to a slight haze and thin ring. Leaves sticky sheets of lacing.
S - Lots of pungent grapefruit and pine resin hops, chocolate malt, and honey. Honestly, this smells like a dark version of Hopslam, which is an extremely high compliment to give a beer!
T - Again, nice and hoppy, more pungent flavors of grapefruit and pine resin dominate. There's some nice chocolate, coffee, and dark malt in there, along with a good dose of honey, and a nice amount of cedar character. Very pleasant bitter finish.
M - Very smooth, with a medium-full body and moderate carbonation.
D - Nice and drinkable, much like Either I'm surprised my the high ABV. No problem drinking the 12oz. bottle by myself.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

It looks like most people like Or better than either but I am a bit opposit. I love them both but I like either better. But they are very similar.

The appearance is the same. Not a great head but a ring that produced a bit of lacing.

Aroma is more hop forward on this one. I smell alot more hops and I feel it's covering up the other great aromas. However I feel like I did in either that they both could use an aroma boost.

Taste is a bit more hoppy. Again I think it's covering up some of the flavors. Either had more sweet caramel. A little more wood in this one too.

Mouthfeel is same as in the hops are covering some things up I liked in either.

Overall I love them both and think they both deserve a little bit better review. I'll be trading for some more of both to see how they do over time together. But I think I like either a bit better.

4.43/5  rDev +8.3%

Notes from 12/21/10. Much better on tap than in the bottle!

Pours black with a long lasting beautiful tan head. Lacing is very good leaving a wall where the head had receded.

I can smell this from my seat 1 foot away from the glass. So many things in the scent, cedar, rye, dark fruits, light pine, with a stinging heat.

Yum...subtle dark fruits start off the taste which transitions to loads of cedar. A touch of anise, rye, chocolate, tobacco, coffee, and mild hops round out the taste. Really flavorful and delicious.

So full, creamy, and delightful in my mouth with a sticky dryness in the end. I believe mouthfeel is the best aspect of this beer...at least on tap.

A rich and delicious brew to be enjoyed over time. With so many demands on the tongue, more than one may be stretching it. I highly recommend having this on-tap opposed to the bottle form.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Second (duh) of an Either-Or back-to-back on 2-18-11. Thanks again, zoso and Goalie.

Or pours dark brown, nearly black, with a light brown head. Around the edges, the color is reddish and see-through. The lacing is pretty nicely dotty and sticky. This aspect of the beer doesn't differ from Either all that much.

I smell way more citrus hops showing through than I did in Either. I'm not sure if this is because of relative freshness of the two beers or just the difference between the two recipes. The cedar is quite prominent and it is also a very malty sweet aroma, like Either. However, I think the balance between malt sweetness and hops is much better in Or than in Either. I really like this smell.

The taste also brings a heavy influence of the cedar barrels. Or is not as syrupy and crazy-sweet as Either is. I taste some roastiness, some sweet fruits, and lots of cedar in my mouth. To quote Larry David, "Do you respect wood?" I happen to, so I appreciate the woodiness of Or. The sweet fruity taste in the middle leads to a not overly bitter hop and wood finish.

The mouthfeel carries a very good balance between thick, sweet malt and a bitter bite from the hops. I think this is a better feel than Either. Overall, it is medium bodied, has good carbonation, and the finish does a fairly nice job of drying the sweetness off of my palate.

After drinking samples of Either and Or, I am left with a very woody, dry residue in my mouth. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing; I just couldn't drink very much of either of these two beers. I did like this one slightly better than Either based on more of a hop balance, and would pick Or if I had to make a choice.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Sending major props out to TCGoalie for smuggling this back from Tampa so we could do a side by side tasting of it with Either.

Or pours a dark black brown that has a slight reddish hue when held up to the light. It is very stout like in appearance but not quite as opaque. The head is light tan and the beer has decent staying power and leaves slightly better lace than Either, though it might just be the condition of the glass.

The aroma is similar to Either with a good dose of dark and fruity sweetness, astringent roasted malts, some citrus hop notes and spicy cedar. The cedar seems much more toned down than in this brew's sister. The aromas also seem a bit better integrated in Or.
The flavor is a nice mix of the sweet dark malt, spicy cedar, hops and roasty malts. I hate to keep calling back to my review of Either, but it is quite similar just with better integration and less of the cedar presence. This also strikes me as being a little less hot. The more I sip this beer the more certain I am that, at least in these two beers, I am not a huge fan of cedar aging.

The mouthfeel is medium with a nice smoothness but a fairly sticky finish. Sweet dark fruit and spice linger on my tongue after swallowing.

Much like Either, this beer would be more drinkable if it had less heat and a bit less of the cedar character. These were both interesting brews and I definitely found this one to be more enjoyable, but it is not necessarily a beer that I am super bummed about being a limited release.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

12oz bottle purchased at Capone's in Norristown PA along with a bottle of "either" as well.

Appearance: Pours an extremely dark brown black that is absolutely opaque. The crown in 1 finger, khaki, shows good retention and lace!

Smell: The underlying spanish cedar smell makes me smile. Some herbal and floral hops and some dark malt round it out. It's really all about the cedar for me....definitely my favorite quality of the nose.

Taste: Same as the nose but really hop dominant. While the nose for me is about 1. cedar 2. hops 3. roast malt, I'd say the taste is 1. hops 2. roast malt 3. cedar!

Mouthfeel: A touch thicker than I anticipated but thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Drinkability: The mouthfeel and the high abv hold it back a bit.

12oz bottle

A- Sampled alongside "Either". Poured into a Cigar City snifter. Pours a dark black color with a tan colored head. "Or" has better retention and lacing than "Either".

S- The aroma is similar to a black IPA. The aroma starts out with dark roasted malts and a very nice fresh smelling hop aroma. While "Either" is a little more malty in the nose, "Or" features a more pronounced hop profile.

T- The taste like the aroma is dark roasted malts up front, espresso and a lot of lingering bitterness in the finish from the hops. The alcohol also leaves a lingering warming effect in the finish as well.

M- The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a perfect amount of carbonation.

D- Overall, I really enjoyed sampling Either/Or in the same sitting. They are very similar but the hop profile is the main difference. I have to give the nod to "Or" as my favorite of the two.

side by side with Either.
a: black with thicker head retention. better lacing than Either.
s: much more hoppier than either; cedar also much more present
t: hops are certainly in charge here; much more abrasive piney hops mixed with the Spanish cedar which comes in strong; definitely the more aggressive of the 2; stronger lingering bitterness; malts come as an afterthought. fruity citrus hops come through as it warms
m: thinner more resiny mouthfeel and high carbonation. works as it's more hoppy than Either.
d: hops do a number.

if you want hops, this brings it more than Either. I don't know if it's as cohesive as Either though.

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz. into a Founders Tulip. Served alongside Either.

Pours black with a one finger off white head.

Aroma is roasted malts and citrus hops.

The dark malts really shine through in the taste. This could almost pass for a very hoppy Imperial Stout. Finishes with a long-lingering bitterness.

Mouth is medium full.

Drinks very well. In the end, this beer comes off as a bit more straightforward than Either. They are both excellent brews - chalk this up to a successful collaboration!

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a black color with a dark tan head. Smell is somewhat more subtle than Either, with a dominant roast. Taste was also more subtle than Either, this time in a preferable way. Balanced roast and sweetness combine with a nice hop presence. Much more drinkable than Either because of the balance. ABV very well hidden.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Drank the Either last week, so let's see how this one compares.

Pours very dark brown, nearly pitch black, with three fingers of dark tan head. Keeps quite well, lots of thick, fluffy lace and a nice coating on the sides.

Smell quickly reveals some nice citrusy notes, juicy orange and grapefruit, which are soon joined by the heavy malt bill. There is a good deal of roasted and chocolaty malt here. There is a hint of wood and an earthy quality as well.

Taste is quite smooth, much smoother than the Either was, and is both very bold and malty but with a good deal of hop flavor. The roasted and chocolate malts are dominant, but the citrusy and earthy hops do their thing nicely. The honey is also very noticeable, offering some sweetness to complement the darker malt. Pretty big smack of bitterness in the finish with some softer woody notes. I really am shocked at how smooth this is; no noticeable alcohol burn at all, a big departure from the Either.

Mouthfeel is an extremely smooth medium-full body. Carbonation is active but appropriate, and the finish is pretty clean. Very creamy.

I guess I'm still not sure what the key differences are between these two beers, but frankly I'm shocked at how differently they drink. Or is so much cleaner, smoother, and well put together, whereas Either was much rougher around the edges. Or is the clear cut winner in my book. It is excellent.

3.95/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Pours a pitch black body with a good size, foamy tan head (slightly darker then EITHER) that doesn't last too long and recedes to a ring over the course of the drink.

S: A strong floral hoppy aroma that's a bit lighter on the nose compared to EITHER where the honey is more noticeable, along with molasses, vanilla, cedar, & sweet roasted malts (chocolate & coffee).

T: A nice upfront citrus hoppy flavor followed by sweet roasted malts, spices, molasses, cedar (not as strong compared to EITHER), and honey. A bit more balanced this it's counterpart that has a pleasent long lasting aftertaste.

M: A full, very heavy body with light carbonation and an oily texture.

D: A very strong robust flavor that reminds me bit of a hoppy stout makes this one a 1 at a time kind of beer- not to mention the price is a bit high for something I'm not crazy over. Between EITHER and OR, this is the better of the two.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep dark black (almost stout like) with a finger of mocha colored head.

Smell: Get a nice whiff of cocoa, some coffee, honey and a hoppy aroma. I think I like the nose on this better than the Either.

Taste: Coffee notes, roasted malt, chocolate/cocoa, nice hop character on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth.

Drinkability: Overall I preferred this version to the Either. This was almost like a hoppy stout to me, but it worked.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Huge thanks to Jefe73 for sending this my way!

A- Body is a dark, aboding motor oil black hue. Pours with a 1-2 finger creamy dark tan head. Honestly-this brew has big imperal stout written all over it in the appearance- Lacing left all the way down the glass.

S- Roasted malt, dark chocolate, and a hint of pine in the back. Roasted malt is the main character.

T- Upfront is actually a good amount of herbal hops, a hint of spicy hops, and a hint of citrus, behind this is a huge coffee roasted malt backbone. The finish offers a big dose of refreshing pine in the back and a mild amount of roasted malt lingers.

M- Medium carbonation and a medium weight body.

D- This is another interesting "black ale". Although this one isn't as bright and doesnt seem to be as complex as EITHER- the flavors blend together a lot better and this doesnt seem to be as much of a contrast. Overall both are pretty good beers.

3.85/5  rDev -5.9%

A: Much like Either, this one is unsurprisingly black in color. Forms a large dark khaki colored brown head on an aggressive pour. Great retention, though it eventually reduces down to a flat black surface with a ring around the edge. Very light lacing.

S: Molasses, roasted malts, chocolate and a faint bit of aromatic wood.

T: Sweet dark malts. molasses, brown sugar and dark fruit. Some citrus on the back end that subsides as the beer warms. Very faint bitterness.

M: On the heavier side with appropriate carbonation and sweetness that becomes cloying as the beer warms.

D: Another good, but not great, beer from CCB. Much like Either, this one is packed full of flavor from start to finish, though the weight of this beer seemed wear on me a bit more than Either.

- - -

Tasted this alongside Either. Both beers look identical. There is no difference there. Or's nose is mores roasty. Either is a bit sweeter, with more of a "Black IPA" character to it, while Or has a bit more a citrus and seems to push more towards the stout side of the spectrum. However, at the end of the day, both are very similar.

2.45/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle in a Duvel tulip. I'm borrowing from and adding to my notes from Either.

Either:
Pours out near black with a smallish shiny tan head that soon reduces to a skim, but this sticks around impressively and leaves scattered creamy bits of lacing.
Or:
Other than a head that's a shade lighter in color, pretty much the same.

Either:
Smells pleasantly sweet, full of milk chocolate, honey, pineapples, oranges and floral notes. Could stand a touch more roasted/burnt character.
Or:
This version seems to have the addition of a sourness along the lines of green apples and has even less roastiness in the nose.

Either:
The cedar is a background player in the nose, but the flavor is much more assertive. This cedar business seems to work better with some of their beers more than others; to me it seems distracting more than anything here. A nice sharp bitterness is drowned out first by the cedar, then a wave of sweetness and booze. All the fruit and chocolate mentioned above is present, plus a lingering raisinish tang. Kinda minty at times. Between the thickish body, the sweetness and the cedar becoming increasingly strong as it warms, it's a bit of a chore to finish.
Or:
Mostly the same story, but as in the nose, there's a tart apple quality that adds another dimension of oddness.

Either:
Interesting sipper, but the shortage of dry and roasted flavors and lack of focus on the hops limit its appeal as a CDA.
Or:
Somewhat less appealing due to the green apple stuff. Glad to have tried it, wouldn't revisit.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

and away we go with hobo tasting number four. me and calton in the parking lot of chucky cheese, drinking top 100 beers in crystall glass ware from the back of his trunk. we both have too many issues to get into right now.

pours, well you guess it a dark black with a nice tight and compact head of tan that seems to come up around an inch or so before settling back down to earth and coming through with a nice medium layer of lacing around the sides, fairly impressed. aroma is hops, dark roasted malts, a touch of burnt brown sugar, hints of licorice and a touch of dark fruits as it warms, very complex. flavor follows suit nicely, albeit not as strong, but still very nicely done. rich dark malts and piney hops blend together with a deep roasted flavor that carries over into a moderatly dry finish that sums it up quite well..

overall a really great beer an one i would have no issue with going for again. still floored how well that abv was hidden, damn!

3.68/5  rDev -10%

Side by side Either and Or. Liked Either more.

The appearance on this one is dark black. Almost the same look as Either, with a head retention that lasted a touch longer.

This one is very hops forward with backgrounds of chocolate, dry roast, and fresh cut wood. From doing a bit of researching this wood smell, and later taste, comes from cedar chips added. Interesting.

The taste is good, but doesn't meld as well as I would like. The hops are very forward, overshadowing any real sweetness' in the malt and honey base. An astringency comes forth a bit that is no doubtingly from the cedar chips, an unwelcome character with this one. A bit of booze in the finish, making this one a bit 'harsh' overall.

I don't mind this beer, and actually thought it was pretty good. It will benefit from aging and think it will turn into something like Either after a few months.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Shared with mikesgroove at Hobo Tasting #3! Big thanks goes out to Jefe73 for this bottle as an extra from a recent trade. Served from bottle into a Stone nonic. Poured pitch black with a one finger tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, dark fruit, and chocolate. The flavor was of sweet malt, dark fruit, slight alcohol, and chocolate. It had a heavy feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a pretty nice brew. Had a very well balanced flavor going on here as everything seemed to work in unison. I enjoyed this one better than Either (which I had a few hours earlier). Very nice aroma going on here too. This is the absolute must try of the two in the series in my opinion.

3.88/5  rDev -5.1%

Thanks to moose3285 for sending me a box stuffed to the gills with Cigar City goodness, practically ever CC beer I hadn't had to date. Trying this side by side with Either to see if I can ferret out the differences. Split each bottle into little sippy cups for my wife & I.

Poured into a Christoffel Bier mini-goblet that my garage-sale scrounging mother brought over for my birthday, cool little glass. Pour is black, stout-dark. Nose is lots of cedar closet & hops, quite a contrast to Either.

Or is molded after other cedar-aged Cigar City brews, where the cedar is, I believe, actually shaved thin & left in the beer. Strong. Elements of pine needles and/or sap and/or bark in the hops. Trademark CC char is present but diluted. Ends roasty with bitterness cutting through the wood & other strains. Much lighter, hoppier, & less thick than Either. This is more akin to a super-strong black IPA that Either, by virtue of its lighter feel & better drinkability.

Think I like this better than Either. Lighter, more approachable on the dance floor, & the cedar supports a very good beer.

3.45/5  rDev -15.6%

Ditmier busted Or and Either out at a recent tasting... Thanks Eric.. very cool to try these side by side... but honestly, I couldn't tell too much of a difference... "Or" seemed to be a tad hoppier and never gelled as well for me.

Thin dark tan head.. very clear ... dark walnut.. verging on black but clarity is so nice it never reaches that point, and that is okay.

nose has abundant resinous piney hops.. cedar is again pretty prevalent and I am starting to not like it in the brews.

Flavor seems a bit more harsh out of the gate than the Either.. the bitterness from the hops and the lightly astringent roasty malts seem amplified from the piney hop presence. Again, a little malty sweetness shows as minor caramel and is the tie that binds this one together mid-sip... the piney hops seem out of whack a bit... not my favorite in a dark malt beer by a long shot... and again.. the cedar is distracting and adds a layer of complexity that seems odd and doesn't jive with the overall brew. lingering char on the finish combining with the piney hops and the spicy cedar just doesn't do it for me.

Nice medium+ on the body with a good lush small bubble carbonation.

Didn't care for this one as much as Either, but it is still good... just not for me as much.

4/4/3/4/3.5

Another big props goes out to my buddy Ditmier.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

Edit: Drink this beer fresh. Originally reviewed 12/2010. Just had another in 4/2011 and it's much more chocolate and much less of the lush, tropical hops.

Pours black (dark brown in the right light). One finger head. Some lace.

Aroma is sweet, sweet, citrusy, pineapple hops. So fruity. So unexpected given the appearance. No pungent aroma, just tropical fruity. Aroma and appearance really counter my expectations of both. I've had black ipa's, but this one presents a much cleaner hop aroma than others.

Taste follows the aroma. Big, sweet, juicy hops. Wonderful. The hops are followed by a mild, malt sweetness. No roast flavors but more of a lightly sweet molasses or brown sugar and caramel. Very light and toned down malt flavor, which provides a nice complement to the juicy hops.

There's 11% abv here? No way. Easily seems like 7%. Exceptionally drinkable for 11%. Excellent beer.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

Special thanks to scottyshades for hooking me up with this in a recent trade! Review is from notes taken on 1/10/2011 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is darkest brown/near black and starts with a scant 1/4 finger dark tan head that fades quickly to nothing other than a thin skim and thin ring around the surface; body is entirely opaque and appears a little viscous on the pour -- very nice and it looks quite appetizing; only a few swaths and patches of lacing are left behind.

Smell: Loads of chocolate malts that come across as sweet and bittersweet and it also has a bit of a dry, cocoa-ish powder scent to it; bit of a burnt and roasty coffee scent underneath the chocolate, and even further beneath that is a slight hint of earthy and grassy hops.

Taste: Holy schyte this is a great tasting beer! A great bland and blast of varying flavors that really work well together -- lots of the chocolate malts that have the sweet and bittersweet aspects to them, but then the next thing that I really notice is a bunch of the cedar from the aging process; a slight roastiness to it and the hops are present and provide an earthy and slightly grassy bitterness and balance to it all; this is really a class act beer.

Mouthfeel: As it looks on the pour, the body definitely has a bit of viscosity to it -- the body is of medium weight and the carbonation is present, but rather smooth as it provides just enough of a prickly sensation; a thick and chewy, sticky coating is left all of the mouth and it becomes a bit cottony as it sits; the belly is left a bit warm from the ABV, as well as the gums being left a little tingly from that and the carbonation.

Drinkability: While it's excellent in every capacity, the higher ABV would certainly limit too much of it, but it could easily be sipped on all night, especially on these cooler nights as the maltiness and the alcohol give it a strong warming presence. I really like what Cigar City does with cedar and I think they've got the market cornered on this one, and I really want to try it with some home brewing projects.

Or from Cigar City Brewing