Bohr - Cigar City Brewing

Florida, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: womencantsail on 02-11-2011

Brewed in Collaboration with Mikkeller

Stout brewed with raisins and spice
to view more.
Ratings: 111 | Reviews: 44
Reviews by Jeffo:
4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received both Bohr and Dirac in a recent trade with 50belair. Mikkeller and Cigar City make some of my favorite stouts, so I was really happy to get to try their collaboration project. Thanks a lot for the opporunity mate.

From a 750ml bottle into a snifter
Note: Drank both Bohr and Dirac in that order.

APPEARANCE: Thick as hell. Motor oil consistency. Doops father in law said it looked like cough syrup. Pitch black and sludgy looking pour yields a medium-thick, one finger, deep mocha colored head with good retention. Pitch black, viscous, body with medium carbonation evident. Head fades to a wisp and ring. A light, swirling wisp and thick persistent ring remain until the end, leaving some dots of lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Roasted malts, smoky malt, and some dark chocolate. Some charred notes, with some dark fruits, raisins mostly, and some definite spicy notes. Very roasted and smoky, however.

TASTE: This is extremely good. Roasted and smoky malts up front, with lots of coffee flavors. Very bold indeed. Definite dark fruits and the raisins are certainly evident. Dates and dark grapes add a certain wine like touch as well. Bold and lingering aftertaste is big at the beginning, but then mellows and lingers nicely. Finishes with roasted and charred malts, dark fruit and a touch of bitter chocolate and coffee notes. The spices make an appearance after the swallow as well. This is really good, complex stuff.

PALATE: Medium-full body and medium carbonation. Nicely creamy smooth on the palate, goes down smooth, leaving s cool sensation in the mouth, and finishes slightly mouth-coating. A touch of heat lingers as well. Well measured.

OVERALL: This was awesome. I could definitely taste the roasted, charred Mikkeller in this one, but the spices and raisins, which I’m assuming CC threw into the mix, were a great touch. One of the better big stouts I’ve had this year. Both these breweries never cease to impress, so I was very happy to get the chance to try their collaboration. I think I liked this one slightly more than Dirac, as the fruity, grape, wine characteristics were very interesting on this one. Both were fantastic though, and I’d jump at the chance to drink them again. Thanks again for the hookup on these ones 50belair. Cheers!

Had this Side-by-side with the Nielsbohrium. We drank this guy first. Glad we didn't go the other direction. This beer is excellent, but not nearly as good as the Nielsbohrium.

This is a classic Imperial Stout. This would be a great measuring stick for the rest of the American double/IS.

I would love to have a fridge full of these guys.

If you see it, buy it.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

Huge thanks to ericandersnavy for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a deep black color with a tan head. Looks like a Cigar City stout should look.

The aroma is heavy on the chocolate, coffee and roasted malt. Everything you want in a big, imperial stout is here.

The flavor is more of the same. I get an intense roasted malt character as well as a lot of chocolate and coffee. There is a little bit of raisin character and the alcohol is very well hidden. An excellent tasting and smelling imperial stout.

Medium to thick mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.82/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle

Acquired via trade
Thanks, whartontallboy!

A thick, heavy, substantial body that's just about black as can be. The body of the beer appears somewhat oily and shiny, and doesn't leave much stick down the glass.

The aroma of this beer was it's best aspect. It was rich with bittersweet notes of chocolate, dark fruits, roast, and coffee. While all these aromas sound simply typical of the style, the chocolate aroma in particular was bold, authentic, and very expressive.

The flavor, while still certainly better than average, was disappointing after such an incredible aroma. The chocolate, roast, and dark fruit flavors were still there, but seemed just a touch muddled together.

Thick bodied with low carbonation. Very nice.

A fine imperial stout, but not one of Cigar City's finest.

4.3/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle.

Pours black with a half-finger brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing and heavy legs.

Smells of robust roasted malts with good amounts of semi-sweet chocolate. Also present are hints of molasses and lighter hints of char and tobacco.

Tastes more herbal than it smells. Solid roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by moderate amounts of semi-sweet chocolate. Midway through the sip the flavor profile sweetens with the addition of dark molasses. Near the end of the sip floral and leafy herb flavors come into play, fading out into a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It’s got a smooth thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I had no problems finishing my glass and could easily have a few more.

Overall this was an interesting beer. Tried side-by-side with the Dirac this beer smelled more robust and went down easier however the leafy herbal notes were heavier and detracted from the flavors a bit. Still, a solid beer that’s worth a shot.

4.49/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a Corsendonk chalice - Brewed in 2011.

A - Pours a rich dark brown, opaque with no visible carbonation of lacing. Pours syrupy thick.

S - A potent scent of raisins, spices, and chocolate. Very much like Quaker raisin spice oatmeal. Incredible aroma that after settling gives off a coffee smell.

T - Up front blast of dried fruit and spice. Next it has a coffee bitterness, and ends with a boozy warming taste.

M - This is a pure sipper and feels heavy. While smooth, it coates the palate like cough syrup. Not a gentle stout.

O - Very impressed with this one. The raisin flavor and spicy notes make this a tasty big stout. Very thankful to a good friend who brought this back from the CCB shop. Another reason to love this brewery.
(*My 200th review)

2.34/5  rDev -40.2%

Received in recent trade. Got a bottle of Dirac last month, and thoroughly enjoyed it. (Also looking forward to trying the Niels bottle I got earlier this year.)
When I pried the cap off, I noticed some residue (possibly dried beer and rust) around the rim of the bottle. I also checked the bottlecap and noticed a bit of rust.
Poured from 750ml bottle into Bordeaux glass.

Aroma: A 1-2 punch of rich, chocolatey malt and a tart, almost metallic character. I also picked up some espresso beans and cocoa powder. The tartness kind of concerned me.

Appearance: Pitch black body, and one finger of dark tan foam, which falls slowly. Head leaves a nice layer of foam on inside of glass. Nothing wrong here.

Flavor: Similar to the aroma, unfortunately, but the tartness is a bit overwhelming. Upon checking other reviews for this one, I quickly confirm what I'd suspected. This brew was not meant to have a tart edge to it. It looks like an extremely unlucky time for me with one of my favorite breweries, CCB's, brews... Two infected bottles in the past week.

Mouthfeel: Body of the beer is full, and carbonation is medium-low. Infection results in tartness and astringency, which is not congruent with this style.

Overall: A big disappointment. Based on the other reviews for this beer, it looks like I just got unlucky this time. Really wish I could try a good bottle of Bohr, but I already burned through some considerable cellar capital to obtain this one. Will keep my fingers crossed that the bottle of Nielsbohrium I have lined-up for tonight is a good one.

2.58/5  rDev -34%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass.

Appearance - Viscous black body. No head while it pours, but a mocha head wells up at the end. Glass staining, like other CCB stouts.

Smell - Ouch, metallic and acidic. This smells way past its prime. Lots of dark fruits and raisins, but it's got a sharp acidic character. Dark chocolate and very dark roasted malts.

Taste - Equally harsh. Intense tang and metallic flavors. Raisins still strong. Dark chocolate, coffee, and very dark burnt malts. Acrid finish.

Mouthfeel - Thick. Sharp acidity. Medium low carbonation.

Overall - Wish I'd rated it long ago. But it serves to know that this is no longer any good.

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%

(sampled at Dak's Final Four tasting). Pours dark brown with thin khaki head. Aroma of coffee, bacon and smoke. Taste is roasty with sweet malt backbone and dark some dark chocolate. Full bodied and slick texture. Really nice beer. Glad I got to try this one.

Another beer from Ibrew2or3... Dave is a cool cat.

This brew pretty much is identical to my regular Dirac review except without the fruity esters and with more hersheys syrup flavors and aromas..

I would lover to actually know what made them different.

All 4's.

Thanks again Dave... that was a historic tasting.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Rich dark black in color with a completely opaque and dark look to it. Rich tan colored head rose up to at least an inch and a half before settling down into a whispy cloud on top and tons of side glass lacing, perfect. The aroma was sublime, rich cocoa and coffee notes that swirled together effortlessly wth light hints of oak and rich sweet smells just swirling about it. As I took the first sip I nearly fell over. This is what I have been looking for in a big coffee stout. INSANE. Rich coffee flavors that were perfectly balanced against the rich oak and chocolate notes that I love in my oaked yeti. Smooth, seductive big bodied fel that made this a sublime sipper that offered no hint of the alcohol in it at all.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

Pours black as night with a finger of dark tan head. Head fades to a ring. Smell is sweet with smoke and roast. Some mild dark fruit as well. Taste isn't nearly as sweet as Dirac. Mild smoke with more sweet fruit than the smell. No real spice here. Thick body, but less than Dirac.

2.13/5  rDev -45.5%

From 750mL bottle to snifter on 11/13/11 at a small tasting with friends
*From notes

A: As it should, though it's a bit more of a rich brown then it is black. A good pour yields a 1.25 finger head that's creamy and tight.

S: Raisinated dark vine fruit.

T: At least it begins well. Rich cocoa kicks the fore into action. But one this hits the mid-palate, it's over, as it all kind of comes off like a raisinated, oxidized splatter-ass shit-show. In so many words, this is fucking awful.

M: Rich enough. It ain't Hunahpu, but it'll suffice.

O: I was stoked to break into this, as I supplied the entire three part series to the tasting group. And wouldn't you know that both this and Dirac tossed major tranny salad. I really can't say if this had merely fallen off, or if the doo-doo flavor profile was intended. Either way I don't really care, as I hope this is warning enough to steer clear of this train wreck.

Hands down the worst CCB or Mikkeller brew I've ever had.

Okay, I just opened this to compare it to the Dirac. Let's keep it simple, It seems similar to the Dirac but better, HOW CAN THAT BE as I gave the Dirac an A rating??? Main difference is a slightly thicker mouthfeel and more coffee prominent than the Dirac and just a touch dryer. Here is my review of the Dirac which I did just a few minutes ago:

I bought a couple of these at the Hunahpu release party. I had never heard of it and they were $15 for a 750 ML of a brew I have never heard of, so I thought lets check it out but not go too deep. I have had Hunahpu for 2 of the last 4 days so I am pretty spoiled on the style, taste at this point in time. Poured a 6 oz. pour into a snifter.

A- Hunahpu and Marshal Zhukov style beauty. Dark, rich, nice lacing and a decent sized mocha head (on the MZ, sometimes there is no head whatsoever) Toatally dark, black hole look.

T- Wow, this is really amazing. Like a perfected Zhukov and SPOT ON with the carbonation. Very chocolatey, raisins, figs and nice spice. Seriously drinkable. Nice aftertaste with a slight burn at the end.

M- It's all there, creamy and thick. Very Nice.

D- Slight alcohol burn. Perfect taste but definitely can feel the burn. This is the only category I can knock this in.

Overall- Friggin Brilliant! Seriously, I'm now going to open the Bohr and compare them side by side. I was not planning on opening $30 worth of beer tonight but now I have to know how they compare. This is some great brew Wayne!

I wonder if this is maybe how the first batch of Hunahpu drinkers found themselves and than suddenly their great beer received notice. I will be going there tomorrow to pick a case of each for long term cellaring, no bullshit. I am also going to review the Bohr directly after this as I opened it 5 minutes ago and just poured it.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to Sean9689. Thanks for many things, but thanks in particular for this one. Served in a Captain Lawrence tulip.

Pours a dark brown color with an average mocha head and some spotty lacing on the way down. Good enough for a 4 in my book. The nose brings some strong chocolate and roast along with a bit of wood and some spice. The flavor adds in more of that spice and blends it with the chocolate, roast, and coffee quite well. Mouthfeel is pretty full and creamy and has a smooth finish. Very well done.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Thanks again to Jason for sharing this at DLD along side Dirac. I didn't bother reading up on the name of this beer in particular, but the only Bohr I can think of had something to do with the nuclear bomb or smashing atoms. I think. If not, pretty sure he was some sort of scientist.

A - Looks a lot like Dirac in it's blackness, with a slightly lighter head. Retention is still decent and leaves some moderate lacing.

S - Chocolate, spice, wood, cinnamon, dark fruit. A lot of descriptions of this are oatmeal rasin cookie, and I can see that with the combination of raisin and cinnamon aromas.

T - Roasted and a bit sweet. Dark fruits and spice, particularly cinnamon. This has more tobacco qualities than Dirac did, and a bit more spice as well. To me it detracts slightly from the roast that is this beer.

M - Creamy, smooth, pretty much full bodied.

O - Good beer, I prefer Dirac, but this is nice with some good spice character for a big stout. Worth trying, particularly if you can side-by-side with Dirac.

4.72/5  rDev +20.7%

Bohr [4/4.5/4.5/4.5/5]
A - Evil, with a blood red tinge to the head. Not much lace, fairly short-lived head.

S - Dark fruit, smoke, charred cinnamon-raisin toast, and perhaps sweet notes of port. Smoke wanes as it airs out, aromatically, which is not correspondingly true of the flavor.

T - Lots of deep roast, some unsweetened cocoa, dark fruit, smoke, prune, raisin, licorice, chicory, slightly oaken flavor as well. Tastes great, really great. Reminds me of a well-aged bottle of Stone IRS. Smoke increases as it airs out.

M - See: Zhukov (good bottles).

D - Awesome, I would drink this anytime, anywhere. Nothing more need be said. Also, props to CCB for the incorporation of such uber-literate, and occasionally obscure monikers. Bohr is a well-known titan of physics, but Dirac is not a household name. Other good examples: Hunahpu (of the Mayan Twin Gods), Jai Alai [pronounced: Hi-Lie] (which is a traditional Tampa-Miami-Cuban exhibition sport), Zhukov (the Patton of USSR), Jose Marti (poet), etc.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance -- Pours a deep black with no head, but a dirty brown ring at the glass edges. Coats the glass well - high viscosity.

Smell -- Dark roast malt, coffee-like roast, cocoa sweetness, fig and raisin. Overall: rich and moderately complex.

Taste -- Quite roasty with more dark fruit sweetness than was evident in the nose, dark chocolate, and more raisin.

Mouthfeel -- Medium-full in body with mild carbonation. If it was a little thicker the light carbonation would probably have been more forgivable.

Overall -- Really not bad, though I wouldn't go so far as to say that I was amazed by it.

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Reviewed from notes. Poured into my Darkness snifter.

Pours motor oil black into my glass with a reddish tan head of foam that is about 1 1/2 fingers thick. Wherever the liquid has touched the glass it is definitely stained. Large notes of raisin and dark fruit emit from my glass. Lost somewhere in there but trying to seep out is coffee. For not seeping out in the smell the coffee came swash buckling out in the taste. Malt and rich coffee notes shine through. Raisin plays a minor role on the palate. This beer is wonderfully thick in your mouth. Coats your tongue with a nice oily feel.

We happened to drink this beer the same day as Hunahpu's. I think in retrospect that was a poor choice because nothing can escape Hunahpu's shadow of greatness, and i mean nothing. I will have to try this again to re examine this beers greatness and see how it merits in it's own spotlight.

3.24/5  rDev -17.1%

A: Absolutely no light gets through, but retains a great foam ring around the glass.

S: A lot of roast barley and smokiness from the Black Patent, and also some Raisin

T: A lot of smokiness, with some raisin and fig along with some minute dark chocolate.

M: Nice carbonation, and great smoothness

O: This is not as good as Dirac, but still pretty good. Honestly Dirac was a lot better; Bohr was a lot smokier and not as sweet. Both were very different.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to ehammond1 for sharing this one during our post Churchill's tasting!

Pours a thick opaque black with no head whatsoever. No lacing on this one. However, there is a thin sticky film that clings to the glass if you swirl the beer around. Smell is of dark roasted malt, dark fruits (especially raisins), and some spice aromas. Taste is of dark roasted malt, dark fruit, and the spices. There is a mild roasty bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a thick and sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good stout but it smells better than it tastes in my opinion.

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Cigar City Take Over at The Funky Buddha in Boca Raton, FL. Bohr on draft in a 12oz snifter (from notes)

A- Black opaque body w/thin rim of brown bubbles no lace, more slick against glass.

S- roasted sweetness, alcohol followed by mild hops and fruity scent.

T- roasty mild chocolate with milky sweetness from beginning to end, balanced with with citrus flavor in hops and dark fruit from raisin.

M- moderate carbonation. medium w/ slight clingy feeling during sip dries but some beer flavor lingers.

never thought this would be one of the super secret brews at the takeover! very lucky to try on draft since a bottle probably wouldn't have been possible.

3.33/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle enjoyed next to Neilsbohrium and Dirac.

Pours black with a tiny brownish head that becomes a tiny brown ring of foam quickly. The nose is dry, roasted malts, coffee, cocoa with big spice and raisin. Smells fine. Taste is a bit dry for my preferences, and is noticeably lacking the rum that brings the Neilsbohrium together. A bit of spice, malts, dark fruit, coffee, cocoa. The mouthfeel was fine - medium with medium carbonation. Bohr was probably my favorite between Bohr and Dirac, but I didn't really appreciate much of a difference. This beer really needed the rum barrels.

3.72/5  rDev -4.9%

Starting my Bohr/Dirac/Nielsbohrium tasting!

A: Black motor oil pour with a wonderful brown head. It doesn't last long, but I revelled it as it lasted.

S: Lots of coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. Really strong smell.

T: Not as big as I was expecting. The chocolate is muted. Basically all coffee, lasts on the palate for a long time.

MF: Dark, heavy, well carbonated, a bit boozy.

O: I liked it. Not terribly balanced, but it makes me look forward to the other two in the set!

3.99/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to Gregg for picking this one up for me.

Pours almost pitch black with a big fluffy mocha head that recedes quickly to a thin collar and leaves no lacing, just some dark boozy legs.

Aroma is heavily roasted chocolate malts with roasted coffee and an interesting slickness. It's almost like a hint of juniper or something in there, with a some fruity sweetness. There's a weird mintiness to the nose.

The taste has the same initial spiciness that I got in the aroma. Not quite as Monty but definitely spicy. There are the typical heavily roasted malts and tobacco character that I'm used to in the CCB beers. Finish is chocolate, roasty with a hint of sweetness, maybe licorice.

The mouthfeel is thick and full bodied with soft carbonation and dessert-like overall. Very much like the Zhukov (the carbonated ones).

Another unique and tasty stout from CCB. The minty spiciness is a little bit distracting for me so it's not up there with Hunahpu or Zhukov but that's a high bar.

to view more.