2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pilot Series Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner - Cigar City Brewing

Pilot Series Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner
No picture uploaded.

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  ABV ?

Availability: Spring

Pro-Am collaboration with homebrewer Jonathan Wakefield using Cigar City's pilot system.

No longer brewed at Cigar City. Batches produced after March 2012 should be reviewed under Wakefield Brewing.

(Beer added by: shand on 03-13-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 44 | Reviews: 14 | Show All Ratings:
rodkin

Missouri

Was holding off reviewing this until J. Wakefield Brewing was listed, but I'm impatient. Had this on tap at Hunahpu Day 2013, reviewed from notes. Got to meet Jonathan himself briefly, so that was neat.

This bear is beautiful. It's like a radioactive neon pink, with a bright fluffy glowing pink head. The head might actually be a white that just picks up the coloring from the regular beer, who knows? At any rate, it's mesmerizing. Definitely the most interesting looking beer I've ever seen.

The smell is this huge tropical fruit bouquet, really strong passionfruit. Lots of fruit sweetness, but it's cut a bit by a noticeable tartness so it never comes across as cloying. It's very bright smelling, like if I close my eyes it's like I'm just surrounded by wonderful fresh fruits.

The taste ratchets the nose up a notch. Really tart, citric, big tropical fruits, very slight wheat backbone. Really the best word that came to mind was "vibrant." Just a stunning, delicious beer.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, slightly dry. Punchy, active carbonation that doesn't overwhelm. Perfect.

This is without question the best beer I have ever had; I can think of no flaws. I definitely try to take a "it's just beer" attitude, but I think this is the first time in my life where I finished a glass and was genuinely bummed out to not have more. Who knows when I'll get to try this again... Anyone want to trade me some sweet Wakefield growlers?

05-03-2013 03:31:13 | More by rodkin
brystmar

PFDF pours a radiant, neon-like maroon hue with medium head -- unlike any beer I've ever seen. The liquid erupts with freshly picked fruit aroma that made my olfactory senses tingle. Jesus, this smells incredible!

Strong blasts of Passionfruit and citrus; no idea what a dragonfruit tastes like but I'm sure it was out in force. Hearty lactic backbone, and pretty darn sour for a Berliner. Body is somehow simultaneously creamy and active. This beer's sole flaw is its impossibility to acquire.

Hard to describe in words just how magical PFDF is: this is one of the very best foods/beverages I've ever consumed. Props to Wakefield -- the guy knows his stuff.

03-24-2013 22:21:34 | More by brystmar
corby112

4.28/5  rDev -11.2%

Draft at Cigar City during Hunahpu Day 2012.

Pours a dark blood/beet red color that's almost purple with a one finger pink foam head that quickly settles into a thin ring.  Minimal lacing left behind.  Definitely a unique looking beer.  Don't see many that have that color.

The aroma is bursting with sweet tropical fruit.  I'm not very familiar with either of these fruits but the tropical fruit presence dominates the nose.  Slightly seedy with a decent amount of funk but the aroma is all about the dragonfruit/passionfruit.  Could use a bit more funk/traditional berlinerweisse character but still smells really good.

Medium bodied with a nice balance of tart funkiness and sweet tropical fruit.  More balanced than the nose suggests with some lactic funk, acidity and bready yeast but it's still dominated by sweet, juicy fruit notes.  Very sweet but with enough acidity and funk to keep it from becoming one dimensional.  Very refreshing with a crisp dry finish.  A lot of people went apeshit over this beer and while I think that's it's really good, it didn't completely blow me away.  I  actually preferred the Miami Madness over this one.

06-14-2012 07:38:40 | More by corby112
stakem

4.5/5  rDev -6.6%

A thousand thank yous are just not enough to express my gratitude to the friend who secured me this growler from the left over keg after the berliner bash on the bay this past weekend. Having this to sip on somewhat suppresses the pain of missing out on the fest itself.

Poured into a matching cigar city snifter, the brew pours a shocking color of ruby red almost purple wine color that is just sickeningly intense. The fruit addition has ravaged the looks of this brew. This solution could be mistaken for red beet juice, it is that deep and colorful. It is hazed and a few bubbles appear stained pink across the top and quickly dissolve in the typical berliner fashion.

The aroma of this brew is so strikingly familiar that I am shocked considering I have never experienced the base fruits by themselves. There is a very earthy, herbal fruit aspect going on here with a slight touch of grass and seedy quality. The closest thing I compare this fruited aspect to is a mixture of something along the lines of acai and/or pomegranate. Even though I am not directly familiar with the fruit in question, I have every bit of confidence that it is so intense that when I do get the chance to have the fruit itself, it will smell like this.

The taste is tart almost to the point of being bitey and sour but very much within the realm of the style. There is a lacto sort of tartness that has a hint of lemony quality, yogurt, mild cheese and a bit of footed pilsner grain quality which is quite subtle. All this hits the tongue before the fruit takes over with an accenting brightness to the tart aspect of this brew. Instead of being sweet like you might expect based on the intensity of the aroma and looks, it is somewhat herbal, dry with fruit and complex. Throughout the profile are some seedy characteristics like the pits of fruit that again I attribute to more of something I am familiar with like pomegranate. It isn't until after I finish my first glass that it dawns on me...this familiar character I keep thinking of is reminiscent of rhubarb with a bit of tannic quality.

This is a light bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. It is light and lively inside the mouth and excessively complex and enjoyable. I am super excited to have the opportunity to try this without having to make the trip to Florida. However, having this has now completely blown my curiosity out of control and I want to try everything Wakefield is doing with this, my favorite style of beer.

Serving type: growler

05-23-2012 23:28:54 | More by stakem
DAKNOLE

Arizona

Ive had this beer several times on tap at CCB. pours an insance pink/purple/reddish color. Aroma is juicy and tart, just loaded with tropical fruit notes and is amazingly fragrant. Flavor is sour and fruit. The fruit bursts onto the tongue like no other beer I have ever tasted. A true masterpiece. Wow.

03-23-2012 18:34:48 | More by DAKNOLE
AgentZero

4.9/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at Hunaphu's Day. One of the beers that stole the show for those that were fortunate enough to try it.

A - This is one of those beers you see and immediately don't think it's a beer due to the amazing color. I had the Funky Buddha Passion Fruit Berliner, but that was a straw yellow. This is a bright and vivid fuchsia color that looks like it could power a neon light. Small white head was slightly pinkish tinged, probably more due reflecting the beer than the actual color, and left some minor spots on the sides. Guessing the color is due to the the Dragon Fruit, which I looked up on Wikipedia and found it to be the appropriate color.

S - Slightly citric in it's smell with big passion fruit aroma. You can tell it's got a potent tartness to it.

T - Sweet with a ton of passion fruit and a touch of sharp citrus that I am assuming is due to the dragon fruit. It's packed with so much flavor I am curious to know what the ABV is on this. If you like passion fruit, this is very faithful to the taste and expressed the fruit nicely. Even if you don't, it's such a great tasting beer I can't see anyone not liking this. Amazin.

M - Tartness gives you a little pucker. Lighter side of medium bodied works perfectly for this. Good carbonation. Spot on.

O - This one blew it out of the water. Great taste all around, couldn't drink enough of this. Unfortunately every one else had the same idea and this batch blew in about 10 min or less. Did I just rate this one of my highest beers ever? I think I did.

03-13-2012 16:27:30 | More by AgentZero
MaltaIndia

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +0.6%

I have never reviewed a beer before but I drank this at Hunahpu day with my husband and met the brewer. He was such a nice guy and did such good work I wanted to let everyone know.

This beer is a beautiful bright reddish pink color. I have not seen drinks looks like this except for mixed drinks. It must be the dragon fruit, because passion fruit is yellow. It smells strongly of passion fruit with something a little sweeter in there as well, again this is probably the dragon fruit. It is a sweet beer with a lot of tartness to it. It is pretty easy to drink and I think a lot of other girls who are not necessarily beer geeks would like drinking this as well. I drank mine easily. Overall this was such a cool addition and something I enjoyed and everyone else seemed to as well. Thank you Mr. Wakefield!

03-12-2012 16:53:58 | More by MaltaIndia
RodneyX

Missouri

4.85/5  rDev +0.6%

Reviewed from my Hunahpu days notes (last year)

Beer color is ridiculous. A booming bright fusia color. Crazy to think that a beer can even have a color like this. Very cool and very distinctive. Smells and tastes of really nice sweetness but not too sweet or artificial. There is a great tartness to it as well. Really packs a lot of flavor on for a berliner. Light and refreshing, this was one of the best beers there, really stole the show.

03-07-2012 19:58:08 | More by RodneyX
ktrillionaire

4.93/5  rDev +2.3%

From backlog notes. On-tap at Hunahpu day. This beer is stunning in every regard, from the radiant beet-red appearance, to the crowd's reaction (it caught on like wildfire.) The brew is lightly acidic but seems to rely equally on the inherent tartness of the tropical fruit addition; at any rate, it is a stunning take on a Berliner (and living near Peg's Cantina, I know a thing or two about stunning takes on Berliner.) As creative and delicious as a brew can be. I would love to see this again.

11-22-2011 04:32:28 | More by ktrillionaire
jrallen34

4.68/5  rDev -2.9%

On-tap at Hunaphu. Props to Jon for brewing this bad boy. Buzzed beer of the day as all of a sudden I was surrounded by everyone drinking this down like juice and I didn't even get my own pour... This beer looks stunning and played a huge role in getting the word out. The body is a brilliant bright pink that is semi clear and looked great and refreshing in the sun... The aroma was fantastic, it was very tart but balanced by sweet tropical fruits. Perfectly balanced sweet and tart... This is again sweet on the fruit showing off tons of fresh Florida fruits, also shows off a tart note from the fruit. Its not as tart as the nose, wish it was a touch more, but that's such a minor thing here.

This is awesome and easy to drink. Really lucky to try this.

03-14-2011 18:01:19 | More by jrallen34
tpd975

4.85/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Poured an electric color of magenta, sorta the bright color of pink that kids create by putting a highlighter in water to spice of liquor bottles in a dorm room. Small fizzy head with no retention. The sight of the beer alone sent people to the tap like droves.

S: The aroma was bold and citric. Fresh fruity undertones with hints of acidic sharpness.

T: The color may have sent people running it was the flavor that brought them back. The beer was awesome simply put. Nice sharp tartness right up front. Slighty citric, my guess this was provided by the dragon fruit After the initial blast of tartness it actually smooth out real nicely. A nice mild sweetness comes through almost guava like which I will attribute to the passion fruit. A Yin and Yang of a beer, tart, sweet, awesome, and stunningly beautiful.

M: Medium in body starts tart finishes sweeter with only a mild acidic character.

D: Awesome. It is one I have revisited all day. Too bad everyone else had the same idea and it lasted a whole 10 min or so on draft.

Cheers JW it rocked!

03-14-2011 12:55:24 | More by tpd975
Sean9689

4.85/5  rDev +0.6%

On-tap at 2nd Hunahpu's Release.

A - Pours a beautiful pinkish/red color, white head which quickly vanishes leaving only a few bubbles here and there. Looks like pink panty dropper, which it basically is, if you're into 300lb beer-drinking dudes getting naked. Awesome.

S - Huge fruity tart bomb. It's really hard to type down how good the nose on this one was. Nice level of tartness, sweet tropical fruits...doesn't need more then that. The fresh fruits and natural notes are what makes it awesome. Doesn't smell "fake" like many other fruit-inspired beers I've ticked.

T - Again, huge exotic fruits, sweet smoothie-esk fruit sweetness, nice level of tart/sour that works perfectly together. The natural freshness of this beer is what makes it special. It's like I went and picked the fruits out that morning and created this beer. Amazing.

M - Light, crisp and refreshing, light carbonation, dry finish.

D - Easily one of the main hits at the release! Not only was this beer awesome, it was brewed by someone I consider to be a good friend, a very talented one, at that. JW, please remake and send some to Chicago, f'n awesome. Proud to tick this one!

03-14-2011 00:33:55 | More by Sean9689
Gtreid

4.5/5  rDev -6.6%

On-tap at Hunahpu day. Nice work JW.

A: This is insanley reddish pink. Small pink head lingers for the entire glass.

A: Passion and dragon fruit abound. Other citrus in the mix as well. The aroma is clearly leading me to beleive this one will be sour.

T: Oh boy this is nice. Sweet fruit with the sourness expected from a berliner. Slight malty undertones, but lets not kid ourselves this is all about the fruit used. It finishes sweet and sour.

M: Thin body, aggressive carbonation. Just right.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just below perfect, if I can give this beer a knock, it would be, after about 6 glasses it might get a touch sweet, but really, just splitting hairs. Overall this was one of the highlights of a day that included some of the best beer on the planet. Don't know if we will ever get to have this again, but here's to hoping. Skal.

03-13-2011 20:21:50 | More by Gtreid
shand

4.85/5  rDev +0.6%

Enjoyed on tap at Hunahpu's day.

The apperance on this thing was something else. It was a stunning pink, very similar to dragonfruit juice. I saw someone carrying this around, heard someone ask them what it was, and made a bee-line to the tap, as many others were as the person manning the taps pulled glass after glass of this. The smell was also exceptional, it was sharp and full of fruits on the nose, the dragonfruit and passionfruit stood up above any of the other fruits. Very sharp and inviting.

The taste on this was also absolutely exceptional. It's very heavy on the fruits and very natural tasting, very sharp and acidic. The fruits stood out front and center here, with just a touch sourness as a backbone. Basically can be summed up pretty simply. Very tart, very sour, with very natural fruit flavors to boot. A great beer, perfectly refreshing in the Florida heat, and something completely different from CCB. I hope they brew more of this! The mouthfeel was nice and well-carbonated, no complaints. The drinkability was absolutely phenomenal. The tartness and incredible fruit flavor just made me keep wanting to go back for more. An amazing brew, and probably my favourite from Hunahpu's Day.

03-13-2011 00:45:10 | More by shand