Pilot Series Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner - Cigar City Brewing

Pilot Series Passionfruit Dragonfruit Berliner
No picture uploaded.

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  ABV ?

Availability: Spring

Pro-Am collaboration with homebrewer Jonathan Wakefield using Cigar City's pilot system.

No longer brewed at Cigar City. Batches produced after March 2012 should be reviewed under Wakefield Brewing.

(Beer added by: shand on 03-13-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

4.5/5  rDev -6.4%

4.75/5  rDev -1.2%

Was holding off reviewing this until J. Wakefield Brewing was listed, but I'm impatient. Had this on tap at Hunahpu Day 2013, reviewed from notes. Got to meet Jonathan himself briefly, so that was neat.

This bear is beautiful. It's like a radioactive neon pink, with a bright fluffy glowing pink head. The head might actually be a white that just picks up the coloring from the regular beer, who knows? At any rate, it's mesmerizing. Definitely the most interesting looking beer I've ever seen.

The smell is this huge tropical fruit bouquet, really strong passionfruit. Lots of fruit sweetness, but it's cut a bit by a noticeable tartness so it never comes across as cloying. It's very bright smelling, like if I close my eyes it's like I'm just surrounded by wonderful fresh fruits.

The taste ratchets the nose up a notch. Really tart, citric, big tropical fruits, very slight wheat backbone. Really the best word that came to mind was "vibrant." Just a stunning, delicious beer.

Mouthfeel is medium-light, slightly dry. Punchy, active carbonation that doesn't overwhelm. Perfect.

This is without question the best beer I have ever had; I can think of no flaws. I definitely try to take a "it's just beer" attitude, but I think this is the first time in my life where I finished a glass and was genuinely bummed out to not have more. Who knows when I'll get to try this again... Anyone want to trade me some sweet Wakefield growlers?

4.5/5  rDev -6.4%

PFDF pours a radiant, neon-like maroon hue with medium head -- unlike any beer I've ever seen. The liquid erupts with freshly picked fruit aroma that made my olfactory senses tingle. Jesus, this smells incredible!

Strong blasts of Passionfruit and citrus; no idea what a dragonfruit tastes like but I'm sure it was out in force. Hearty lactic backbone, and pretty darn sour for a Berliner. Body is somehow simultaneously creamy and active. This beer's sole flaw is its impossibility to acquire.

Hard to describe in words just how magical PFDF is: this is one of the very best foods/beverages I've ever consumed. Props to Wakefield -- the guy knows his stuff.

4.75/5  rDev -1.2%