Xenu Honey Cream Ale - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Cream Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gtreid on 06-04-2011

Pours light straw in color with light honey, light corn and soft floral notes from the German Noble hops. Flavor has moderate floral bitterness with notes of corn and light notes of honey. Light bodied and thirst quenching, this is one of our lightest offerings.

3.26/5  rDev -6.6%

A: straw, very clear. Two finger white foam head.

S: very bready and yeasty with some malt

T: lager style malt and yeast character. Honey notes.

M: light body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: not much cream here. I second the strong lager tendencies others have experienced.

2.63/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured on-tap at the Cigar City Brewing tasting room in Tampa. The beer was served in a pint glass, and it poured a crystal clear, light yellow coloring with a slim film of head. The aromas is crisp, toasty, and slightly sour. Mid-bodied, with a decent lacing on the glass while you drink. Harshly sour flavor, with a drying feel from the hops. Difficult to palate. The aftertaste is a harsh muddle of overtart and bitter. The beer has an astringent and puckering finish. Odd characteristics for the style.

3.35/5  rDev -4%

I had this on tap at Cigar City.

A: Yellow, clear and with slight head. Think store-bought honey.

S: Very mild indeed, but I got some honey, yeast, and a milt a hop.

T: Despite the menu description, this was not very assertive. However, I found this one crisp and somewhat enjoyable. The honey really shines here, make then beer live up to it's style title.

M: not much creaminess, but not particular thin either. This one was passable in this area.

O: I found myself gulping this one down, which was a good thing. However, this wasn't really my thing.

3.65/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a clear, bright, golden yellow with a biggish white head that dissipates rather quickly. Amazing lace.
Smell is malty with notes of citrus, hops and pepper to balance it out. A slight musty note spoils the party somewhat though it might be the glass.
Taste is a pretty good. A bit hoppier than I expected, kind of came across like a flavorful and slightly malty version of a regional lager but quickly blossomed into a more worthy brew with notes of malt, hops with fainter notes of pepper, citrus and vanilla.
Medium-bodied and an solid effervescence on the tip of the tongue that just disappears. A decent beer but sadly not up to the standards of CCB. Or maybe its my bias towards stouts and other big, malty beers.

3.5/5  rDev +0.3%

I had this at the Kickbacks Cigar City/St Somewhere dinner. I'm reviewing this by memory on this I had this at the Kickbacks Cigar City/St Somewhere dinner. I have had most of CC's regular beers but I have not tried this yet. i guess they needed to atleast to a lighter beer for the mass. This is my least favorite beer they make that I have had. it's light, grainy and not balanced with hop presence at all. but it's on style with what a cream ale should be. I liek the story of the name.

On-tap at the tasting room. Hazy gold color with foamy white head, big splotches of lace left on the glass. Smell: pale malt, honeyed sweetness. Mild floral hop. Taste: sweet pale malt, metallic, mild lemon. Drying finish, creamy, light to medium bodied. Cream ales are not my thing, but this was pretty enjoyable.

3.16/5  rDev -9.5%

On draft at the brewery.

A: Slighty cloudy straw yellow. Small, fizzy white head appears the Faded to almost nothing. No lace to speak of.

A: Strong, grainy corn smell. Pale malt and more corn. Maybe a slight grassy hop presence, but not much.

T: If I didn't know this was a cream ale, I would have sworn it was a lager. Huger lager characteristics, not much bitterness or hop flavor. Finishes just slight dry and smooth.

M: Light body with pretty good carbonation. Again, almost macro lager like.

O: Too much like a macro for my taste. Not enough flavor or aroma either. I can appreciate what they were trying to do, but won't be drinking again. Skal.

4.25/5  rDev +21.8%

Tasted at the Grovetoberfest in Miami,Fl.

Pours light straw in color with light honey. Nice, little head, almost a finger. You can smell light honey, corn, and some floral notes, but not spicy, just smooth floral essences. Like a caramel rose. Flavor has moderate floral bitterness with notes of corn and light notes of honey and sugar. Light bodied and thirst quenching. Excellent beer that I would buy without problem. You can taste the big effort that this company did on this beer!!

Xenu Honey Cream Ale from Cigar City Brewing
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.