Black Whole - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: VaTechHopHead on 07-24-2011

Black Whole is a multi-dimensional ale that takes many twists and turns similar to our daily lives. It has a big chocolate expression with moderate caramel notes, complex toasted to biscuit notes and hints of clove and black licorice.

Black Whole is a tribute to El Chupa Cobras, a mathy indie band from Montgomery, Alabama.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 40
3.35/5  rDev -6.2%

8/26/2011

Thanks to Andrew for sharing.

A: Dark brown bordering on black with a beige head.

S: Lots of roast with accompanying dark chocolate and a little molasses. Smells sweet.

T: Cocoa, dark chocolate, and moderately roasted malt. Lightly toasted malt with bread and a moderate sweetness.

M: Lower medium body with moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is a little thin.

Overall: Just okay.

3.38/5  rDev -5.3%

A: black to dark brown in color and a huge head that does not dissipate much throughout the glass.

S: dark roasted malts give coffee, chocolate, and tobacco smells. This makes a great mix. There is a hint of dark fruit.

T: first the roasted malts hit with bitterness, then it becomes more of a beer with some chocolate and sweet malt along with some bitterness, and it finishes with the heavy roasted malts again.

M: medium body but overcarbonated so much that it takes away from the flavor for me.

O: solid, but the carbonation is off for the style and my liking. Their Jose Marti is better anyhow.

3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A- Pours a creamy black color with a heavy to finger soapy head that seems to hold very strongly.

S- Chocolate, coffee and some cream. I also get the roasted malts and soap. It has a faint saison presence but a porter back bone.

T- What a trip. It starts like a saison, but holds and finishes like a porter. Lots of roasted flavor with smoke finish. I get the coffee and cream at the end as a residual flavor and some how the soap is hidden in there.

M- Lots of carbonation. nice and creamy at the end and not to thin at all. It is quite a road trip for you mouth it takes you all over. I like it but at the same time not what i would always want from a porter.

O- I'm glad i tried this one very interesting indeed. I'm going to cellar my last two and see what happens. I think the carbonation is a little to aggressive for this style but the body and smell is fine. Not my favorite from CCB but still a interesting beer.

3.41/5  rDev -4.5%

Arrives almost black with very little head because the snifter is full of malty goodness. A thin ring is all I have and I don't expect any lace.
Smell is wet cardboard and some roasted malt.
Taste is roasted malt, wet cardboard, light coffee and some sugar flavor without the sweetness.
Slightly dry with a lingering toastiness. Medium bodied, medium efffervescence. A good dryish, almost stout-like brew.

3.48/5  rDev -2.5%

Received a couple of these rarities from Reaper16... Barry is a damn cool trader. Shared them with my local homies and a BA from Florida..

Deep and dark in my Portsmouth goblet.... no light escapes... dark brown head.... nice retention... okay lacing...

The nose is very dry.... dark malt and cocoa.... minor hints of Belgian esters and phenols show as white peppercorns and sour cherries... the aroma is pretty much an American porter spiked mildly with dreams of Belgium.

I normally don't like bigger porters as they seem too one dimensional... but this bottle is decent as it brings in some minor Belgian character... lite clove.. lite cherry.... very dry across the board... some malt sweetness would have have helped carry the minor yeasty character...

The body is lite/medium... and that is giving them a coin... pretty lite... just okay carbonation... "MEH".... seems to be the quote of the tastings.

I had high hopes for this one, but was let down quite a bit.

4/3.5/3.5/3/3.5

3.49/5  rDev -2.2%

12oz bottle into nonic.

A - Pours black, big pillowy tan-colored head, sticky lacing, thick cap.

S - Sweet dark fruit sweetness, slight coffee, toffee, roast. A weird mix of sweetness and roast, but not a chocolate sweetness, more like a herbal/fruity sweetness.

T - Roast, chocolate, bitter hops, some weird herbal sweetness of some sort, bitter dark chocolate finish. I enjoy the roast, chocolate, and hoppy bitterness but the weird sweetness is kind of off-putting to me.

M - Medium body, rich and smooth, creamy finish.

O - Like a porter in some ways, unlike one in others. A very weird beer, to say the least. While I do enjoy a great porter, this one isn't amongst my favorites. It's different, which it's necessarily good. Just okay.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks for the bottle, Chip.

A: The beer pours a dark brown color with a rather sizable khaki head.

S: It's very roasty on the nose with a mild metallic character. Notes of coffee and chocolate (a lot of chocolate, actually), along with some molasses. It's surprisingly sweet.

T: The flavor is also very sweet, too sweet for me. Molasses and chocolate with a fair bit of roasted malts. It's a touch thin/watery and that comes through on the flavor.

M: A little bit thin, especially for an 8% beer, with a medium to high carbonation.

O: Too much sweetness and a little too watery for my tastes.

3.53/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: black, single finger head

S: licorice and sugar

T: chocolate and a little dark fruit. cinnamon and licorice. Coffee bitterness.

M: medium body and moderate carbonation.

Overall: I am not a fan of licorice and therefore this one wasn't for me. The flavors didn't blend well for me.

3.55/5  rDev -0.6%

A - Pours a pretty viscous dark black with a light white head that fades over time. A little opaque and no visible carbonation.

S - A rich subtle chocolate aroma is detected first, followed by a nice black licorice smell. There is a sweet caramel note in there as well complimented by a bready finish.

T - Not as robust as I was expecting but very nice for a porter. The primary flavor is a rich dark chocolate with a semi-bitter licorice flavor in the aftertaste. In the middle there is a faint malt flavor with roasted grains and biscuits.

M - A little thin on the body for my preference but the carbonation is very nice. Finishes semi-dry and sort of tart and the flavor fades quickly on the palate.

O - Not a bad beer and it's a nice twist on a classic style. The flavors work well but don't "pop" as much as I would have hoped due to a thin body, but still very easy to sip.

3.56/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I got this beer in a recent trade. I love CCB and I have never had this one. Glad to get to try. 12oz bottle...

A: A black brew with reddish highlights and a thick 1 inch tan colored lacing that fades at a decent pace. Very good.

S: I get some malty vanilla and mild raisin. Decent.

T: A malty cinnamon chocolate flavor upfront with a roasty vanilla in the middle. The brew finishes with a walnut type taste. Decent.

M: Medium body that is way over-carbonated. Almost like a soda. A creamy nutty finish. Decent.

O: All in all, this is a decent brew. CCB is my favorite brewery and this is one of the more mediocre brews I've ever had from them. Doesn't really bring anything to the style and is way over-carbonated.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

Very, very dark brown in color with a huge head that makes me have to pour it out 3 times between settling. Dried fruits, raisens and a slight anise aroma with somewhat of a lactic, sour bite. Malty, mildly chocolate flavor. Some spicy chile like notes. Again has a "bite" to it that detracts-almost an off or sour/metallic flavor. Nice creamy body. Overall a notch above average. I don't think the beer is infected or bad it has an off flavor that I simply cannot get past-try for yourself and see.

3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

a - poured a three-fingers thick coffee-colored head into a tulip glass that left a thick ring and sheet throughout. the body was dark black.
s - roasted coffee, dark chocolate, a hint of tart cherries.
t - bitter chocolate, coffee, licorice.
m - slick and medium mouthfeel.
o - decent beer but something about the flavors and aromas don't mesh all the way for me.

3.62/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle thanks to dolfan54fl for sending this fresh from the brewery. Poured into CCB snifter.

A- Pours an opaque dark black with lots of carbonation and about a 2-3 finger head of frothy mocha brown off-white head that has good retention. Leaves some lacing that recedes slowly, not really that layered.

S- Dark chocolate, roasted malts, almonds, biscuit, and some clove.

T- Dark chocolate, espresso, clove, malts, some very light spices, nuts, finishes a bit bitter.

M- On the lighter side for a porter. Decent amount of carbonation, easy to drink for 8%.

O- This was a porter that was interesting + easy to drink, but there were a lot of characteristics that I thought could have been improved. I think there was a little bit too much carbonation + head which kind of detracted from the mouthfeel, I also like my porters a little bit creamier. The clove was an interesting addition, however I think I prefer my porters without it- kind of detracted a little bit from the darker flavors. Overall not bad, but definitely not my favorite porter or CCB offering.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Black Whole from Cigar City Brewing