Imperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel Aged - Cigar City Brewing

Imperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel AgedImperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel Aged

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

Beer added by: ajcobb24 on 07-24-2011

4.87/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Bottled on 7/3/11 printed on bottle. Purchased at Cigar City sometime in the summer of 2011.

Appearance: Pours almost pitch black with a 1/4 finger foamy light tan head which settles, leaving a nice ring around the glass and a little bit of pooling in the middle. Nice lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, molasses, lightly roasted malt with a nice touch of sweet whiskey coming through in the background. Smells amazing.

Taste: Sweet roasted malt and molasses up front followed by a distinct sweet whiskey flavor in the middle before ending with the perfect blend of oaky woodiness to go along with a touch of toasted malt. Aftertaste is roasted malt and woody with a just the right amount of sweetness. The alcohol is extremely well-masked. The age (almost 17 months since it was bottled) has really done wonders from those compared to the reviews I read when it was fresh that said it was very hot.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. This one really coats the tongue.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol is so well-hidden that I'm tempted to drink the entire 750ml bottle by myself. I'm putting a wine stopper in it and saving the rest to share with my wife tomorrow evening.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I can't say enough good things about this one. I decided to crack this one tonight after my wife and I spoke with a realtor who will be listing our house for us. I figured that good news deserves a good beer. For those that drank it fresh and won't get the chance to try it with this kind of age on it, I'm sorry. This beer has come as close to perfection as I could imagine. There is almost no room for improvement here. This is the best Cigar City beer I've tried, and I've had well over 50 of their beers. If you ever have the chance to try it, make sure you do. It's a world class beer.

4.79/5  rDev +14%

750ml bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a slightly dark brown color with a nice tan head that fades to a ring with no lacing.

S: The nose is freaking amazing. Lovely notes of chocolate milk mixes with whiskey, molasses, and vanilla along with a milky (lacto) aroma.

T: So damn good! Huge flavors of milk chocolate, molasses, whiskey, vanilla, lacto sweetness, and a touch of coffee on the finish. This is about perfect.

M: The feel is medium bodied and creamy...long lasting finish.

O: Probably the best milk stout/porter I've had and something I would love to have again. The barrel flavors are pretty over the top but I love it. Yes it's big and boozy but it's incredibly complex as well.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark and stormy, this is a black hole of a beer with an awesome, fluffy light tan head.

Smell is bourbon and roast. It's really appealing, a little chocolatey and some milk too.

Taste is the smell. It really doesn't need any explanation, it's a super roasty milk stout with a huge bourbon backbone. As a friend said, "Dude this just tastes solid".

Yup, solid. Great beer. I'm going to devote more time to drinking, less to reviewing.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

According to the bottle 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip style glass. Liquid portion comes out black in color. Not like thick motor oil or anything like I expected, but the liquid is totally black and the slightest of slight amber to brown highlights at the top. Nice tan colored that absolutely erupts after the initial pour and takes a long time to dissipate. Better than average lacing and there's a ring of froth around the edge of the glass the whole session.

Smell is really good. Nice heavy roasted grain notes coming from this guy. I guess there's some slight milk/lactose aromas coming, but really the nice strong point is from the whiskey. I don't always like the smell of whiskey, but this one is nice, gives some slight vanilla and woody tones. Really good smelling beer.

Taste is very good. Again there is a huge grain and malt backbone here. The classic porter porter flavors of coffee and chocolate, not too strong, but present. Again the whiskey comes out, but it's not hot or overwhelming at all. Some slight vanilla/oak flavors and whiskey. Well blended and super delicious, very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Full bodied and perfect carbonation, thick without being too thick. Whiskey is warm but not hot. For a "milk porter" it doesn't really feel that milky. Drinks like a stout without being too "stouty." Nice warming finish on it, perfect sipper on a cool fall evening. I can't even describe the drinkability on this one, it's perfect. Any beer drinker could punish a bottle of this by themselves.

Thanks Gtreid for the trade, this was a great beer that I'm glad I got to try!

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dear lord, bryanole27 thanks for this trade!... Poured into DFH glass...

A- Pours dark brown, midnight chocolate color. Very large dark tan head. Great stability.

S- Subtle whiskey, but its definitely there and fucking awesome. Lot of roast followed by sweet dark fruits and molasses.

T/M- This is a big sweet porter. Vanilla, oak, whiskey, coconut. This beer is unreal. Just complex, rounded, everything. Full body, smooth carbonation. Coats the palate, incredible.

O- Epitome of what I want in a big barrel age beer. I have heard the correlation of BA beers and coconut, and this is the first in which I have experienced that. I want more of this. So incredible, this is a top beer in my eyes...

Imperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel Aged from Cigar City Brewing