Imperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel Aged - Cigar City Brewing

Imperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel AgedImperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel Aged

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

American Porter |  ABV ?

Beer added by: ajcobb24 on 07-24-2011

Ratings: 159 | Reviews: 74
4.87/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Cigar City snifter. Bottled on 7/3/11 printed on bottle. Purchased at Cigar City sometime in the summer of 2011.

Appearance: Pours almost pitch black with a 1/4 finger foamy light tan head which settles, leaving a nice ring around the glass and a little bit of pooling in the middle. Nice lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt, molasses, lightly roasted malt with a nice touch of sweet whiskey coming through in the background. Smells amazing.

Taste: Sweet roasted malt and molasses up front followed by a distinct sweet whiskey flavor in the middle before ending with the perfect blend of oaky woodiness to go along with a touch of toasted malt. Aftertaste is roasted malt and woody with a just the right amount of sweetness. The alcohol is extremely well-masked. The age (almost 17 months since it was bottled) has really done wonders from those compared to the reviews I read when it was fresh that said it was very hot.

Mouthfeel: Full-bodied with just the right amount of carbonation. This one really coats the tongue.

Drinkability: Excellent drinkability. The alcohol is so well-hidden that I'm tempted to drink the entire 750ml bottle by myself. I'm putting a wine stopper in it and saving the rest to share with my wife tomorrow evening.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. I can't say enough good things about this one. I decided to crack this one tonight after my wife and I spoke with a realtor who will be listing our house for us. I figured that good news deserves a good beer. For those that drank it fresh and won't get the chance to try it with this kind of age on it, I'm sorry. This beer has come as close to perfection as I could imagine. There is almost no room for improvement here. This is the best Cigar City beer I've tried, and I've had well over 50 of their beers. If you ever have the chance to try it, make sure you do. It's a world class beer.

4.79/5  rDev +14%

750ml bottle into a tulip

A: Pours a slightly dark brown color with a nice tan head that fades to a ring with no lacing.

S: The nose is freaking amazing. Lovely notes of chocolate milk mixes with whiskey, molasses, and vanilla along with a milky (lacto) aroma.

T: So damn good! Huge flavors of milk chocolate, molasses, whiskey, vanilla, lacto sweetness, and a touch of coffee on the finish. This is about perfect.

M: The feel is medium bodied and creamy...long lasting finish.

O: Probably the best milk stout/porter I've had and something I would love to have again. The barrel flavors are pretty over the top but I love it. Yes it's big and boozy but it's incredibly complex as well.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dark and stormy, this is a black hole of a beer with an awesome, fluffy light tan head.

Smell is bourbon and roast. It's really appealing, a little chocolatey and some milk too.

Taste is the smell. It really doesn't need any explanation, it's a super roasty milk stout with a huge bourbon backbone. As a friend said, "Dude this just tastes solid".

Yup, solid. Great beer. I'm going to devote more time to drinking, less to reviewing.

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%

According to the bottle 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip style glass. Liquid portion comes out black in color. Not like thick motor oil or anything like I expected, but the liquid is totally black and the slightest of slight amber to brown highlights at the top. Nice tan colored that absolutely erupts after the initial pour and takes a long time to dissipate. Better than average lacing and there's a ring of froth around the edge of the glass the whole session.

Smell is really good. Nice heavy roasted grain notes coming from this guy. I guess there's some slight milk/lactose aromas coming, but really the nice strong point is from the whiskey. I don't always like the smell of whiskey, but this one is nice, gives some slight vanilla and woody tones. Really good smelling beer.

Taste is very good. Again there is a huge grain and malt backbone here. The classic porter porter flavors of coffee and chocolate, not too strong, but present. Again the whiskey comes out, but it's not hot or overwhelming at all. Some slight vanilla/oak flavors and whiskey. Well blended and super delicious, very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Full bodied and perfect carbonation, thick without being too thick. Whiskey is warm but not hot. For a "milk porter" it doesn't really feel that milky. Drinks like a stout without being too "stouty." Nice warming finish on it, perfect sipper on a cool fall evening. I can't even describe the drinkability on this one, it's perfect. Any beer drinker could punish a bottle of this by themselves.

Thanks Gtreid for the trade, this was a great beer that I'm glad I got to try!

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

enjoyed this at a barrel aged tasting on 2011-08-06.

dark (duh) thin milky head, didn't hang around long. smell however, is fantastic. the whiskey blends perfect with the chocolate profile and the milkiness. the flavor is just as good as the smell. strong and roasted chocolate notes with whiskey. Milk chocolate thing. super smooth and silky. one of the better beers i've tried and one of the highlights of the evening.

*** ** * ** ***
update 3/12/2012
big thanks to G311 for hooking up a bottle, decided to crack it tonight to see if it was as nice as i remembered. has a milkstout look and feel for certain. the smell is as good as i remember it. the stranahan barrel really just blends wonderfully with stouts and porters and this is no exception. my scores and thoughts remain unchainged. this beer is a homerun.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

**Top quote to remember from the review: 'This is almost like a Whoppers malted milk balls milkshake with vanilla and caramel added, that I could imaging buying at an alcohol dispensing Dairy Queen.'

This beer poured into my snifter from a 750 ML purchased at the brewery $20.

Dark Brown to a dark blood red color that is barely opaque when held up to the light. Decent head that disperses farily quickly.

S - I smell caramel, vanilla and bourbon. Also malts are definitely detectable. It's extremely sweet smelling, I hope it's balanced out in there....

T - Wow, wonderful caramel, vanilla, malts char and boooze . Usually not a huge fan of tasting the whiskey, but this is a nice exception. This is almost like a Whoppers malted milk balls milkshake, with vanilla and caramel added, that you I could imaging buying at an alcohol dispensing Dairy Queen. Really delicious!!

M -Like most of the Cigar City stouts and porters, they achieve an excessively viscous brew, much to my chagrin! excellent!!

O - This is a perfectly balanced malty, bourbon/whiskey milk stout/porter that I would drink again and again except for the hefty price tag. I did not know what to expect from the lactose being added but it gives it a creaminess and balanced that I have not found in another milk stout. Although i like Moloko, it's not usually my favorite style, this one is an exception for me. I live close to the brewery so you may consider me a CC homer...I have had MOST of the CC beers and if I don't like something from CC, I just won't review it, and this was not the case with this one.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Served in a Bruery tulip

Pours a deep, dark, abyss of a darkness. A nice finger of thick head is gorgeous to look at and leaves a nice, inviting lacing behind. The smell is sweet and heavily whiskey-induced. The taste has a nice whiskey background but the upfront taste is a nice dark malt that is very well-balanced. Swirling the beer vigorously leaves a gorgeous head that slowly and deliciously diminishes. Carbonation is a little thin, but seems to work well with this beer. Can't say enough about the balance of the beer.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Big Thanks to Chris (cyrusthepup) for this. Awesome beer.

A- Bright black color, great clarity. Light tan ring resides around the top.

S- Great whisky characteristics. Great balance of vanilla, oak, toffee and chocolate.

T- Great flavors of vanilla, oak, chocolate, toffee and nice lacto sweetness. Really amazing how well these flavors marry together, everything is so well balanced and nothing is super pronounced, all is well in place.

M- Great med body with a awesome creamy texture from the lactose sugar.

O- Great f-ing beer, went beyond my expectations.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

split with Alex and my father in law on friday night into three tasters

dark brown in color with no light cracking through this one at all. A smallish head, maybe a half an inch in height coming up over the top, never really did fade away as it kept that nice layer there throughout the session. Rich side glass lacing left a wonderful chocolate tan color that draped the sides of the glass completely.

The aroma was just rife with whiskey. Huge notes of it just all over the place here with a ton of roasted malts and chocolate like notes hiding right under its surface. Letting it warm really let the oak and vanilla start to become dominant, and a hint of alcohol started to present itself in the back end. This was insanely good smelling for a whiskey barrel beer. The flavor was more of the same, rich, full bodied, I would have sore this was a stout in a blind tasting, but no, this indeed was apparently a robust porter. Luscious, velvet like feel in the carbonation never gave way. The flavor started with that warm influx of vanilla and whiskey, lots of caramelized malts and a light roasted or smoky note to it. This then rolled over with nice touches of chocolate rippling throughout. This was amazingly complex. Huge notes of whisky just oozing through the flavor, coating the tongue with a viciousness that was never-ending

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to tchaos for the chance to try this bottle. 750ml poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a deep, dark brown color with lighter brown to orangish hues at the sides and bottom of the glass. A rigorous pour initially produces a good sized, frothy tan head. The head dissipates and leaves a thin tan cap that takes its time becoming a foamy, light tan ring around the glass. It leaves some wispy lacing, some of which sticks to the glass, but most of slips back down the glass.

The nose is excellent. A nice bourbon aroma leads the way and it's met with a good amount of milky chocolate. Some roasted malt is present as well. The bourbon and chocolate are really dominant flavors though. Not overwhelmingly so, they are both really pleasant. As the beer warms the oak shows up as a woody aroma but when the beer is chilled a bit it's touch to pick up.

The taste is just as good as the nose. Excellent smooth bourbon notes hit first and then seem to lie nicely underneath the rest of the flavors that play off it. The chocolate isn't a big as in the nose but it's still considerable. Some nice oak and vanilla show up too. As the beer warms the bourbon really takes hold and becomes more dominant, providing a pleasant warming feeling at the back of the throat.

The body lies somewhere in between medium and full and the low carbonation seems to play a role in making it lean toward the full side. That being said, it's full for a porter, though it has some stout-like characteristics. Some warmth from the alcohol hits the back of the throat, especially as the beer warms.

This is an exceptional beer. It drinks like a slightly thinner barrel aged imperial stout. The flavors and aromas are excellent and the barrel aging is well integrated into the beer, especially for one that hasn't been sitting in the bottle relatively long.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 ml tp snifter. Appearance is great; deep in color with the same appearance of a Coke. Smells great. Malty with notes of chocolate, and the whiskey is noticeable. Tastes FANTASTIC! Chocolate, caramel, and malt, with just the right amount of whiskey-barreled flavor. Mouthfeel is good, but it's definitely a sipper. Overall, a PHENOMENAL brew that I can't wait to have again.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a dark brown almost opaque black with a vigirous 2-3 finger mocha head that faded fairly quickly leaving lacing.

Smells of whiskey, cocoa, vanilla and brown sugar with a hint of smoke.

Taste has similar components, but in different quantities. The whiskey is a tad subdued compared to the nose, which is nice. Cocoa, cream and vanilla are heavy players as it finishes with just a touch of smoke and spice on the back end of the palate.

Very smooth creamy and oily, just how I like my darker beers.

I'm hit or miss on most things from CCB, but this one was definitely a winner. Perfectly balanced with good thick mouthfeel. I enjoy whiskey and smoke in subtle quantities and can't stand when they are overpowering. This definitely fits the former category.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

750 ml poured into mini snifter. Dated 7/3/11. Malty sweet and whisky boozyness. Roasted character in aroma but the bourbon really does dominate. Taste is a bit hot, mild sweetness, roasted malts and vanilla like bourbony goodness. The lactose adds complexity. Great beer, especially if you dont want subtlety in your bourbon flavors from a barrel.

Had a bottle after the beer's release on July 23rd

Appearance - Pours a very dark brown into a Cigar City snifter glass. Some light tan head remains after being poured from the bottle. Heavy lacing as you swirl this beer around in the snifter.

Smell - Can definitely detect the sugars included in this beer. You get a slight malt note along with a stronger sweet note that I have really not experienced before. Some deduction would tell me that this is the added lactose. You can definitely pick up the whiskey notes imparted into this one from the Stranahan barrels.

Taste - I really must say that I was impressed with this one's taste. Other stouts and porters that I have had impart their tastes on the mouth in a cloying manner, which I am not fond of. You get some malt and lactose with this one. Also present is the slightest note of coffee. Finally, you taste the whiskey characteristics from the barrel aging process. All of the flavors balance extremely well in this beer. It was a mellow, yet exceptionally pleasant tasting experience.

Mouthfeel - Definitely can detect the carbonation notes. The mouthfeel for me was a little too light bodied. If I am going to have a stout or porter, I want to feel like I am drinking hot cocoa instead of watered down coffee.

Overall - The best porter that I have had to date. As I like to group porters and stouts together quite often, I would say this is right up there with the taste experience you would get in a KBS. Great job Cigar City. No wonder why I saw some guy buy 48 bottles at the release.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Big thanks to Bhalter8 for providing this bottle.

A finger of tan head lays across the beer and slowly fades to a cap of foam. The foam does last quite a while. The beer is a dark chocolate brown color with a lot of gloss. Light spots of lace, but that may even be stretching it.

Aroma is loaded with whiskey notes. Vanilla, oak, oak, vanilla, vanilla, oak, oak, vanilla, Whiskey.
Am I drinking a beer or a whiskey? The melding of the two here is quite impressive. Big beer, no doubt. Hard liquor feel and after taste to it. The vanilla, oak combination continues here. A moment of coconut every now and again. A hint of chocolate as you exhale and back to creamy vanilla. It’s almost as if it’s about to get sweet and then it pulls back and delivers . The more I drink, the more I enjoy.

I swear there is a mouth feel that only comes from lactose. Truth be told, I don’t like it. Kind of that mucous feeling. Body is smooth, but I can tell that finish is there.

Overall a very good beer. The issues I have with lactose are my personal issues and not a reflection on the quality of the beer. The whiskey notes work really nicely with the beer itself. While the alcohol is upfront and this is a whiskey in your face beer, I am still not bothered by this like I am with some “hot” beers. It just works.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

A: little head. some lace. very very black. I cant get any light through this one.

S: sweet and smokey aroma. Syrup and vanilla notes.

T: Very creamy up front. Tons of chocolate in the finish. Very mild smokey finish. Caramel and coconut.

M: Full body and medium body.

Overall: This is a complex beer and better than I thought an imperial milk stout could be. Not a routine beer but certainly should be tried by beer lovers.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Poured into a snifter. Deep deep ruby red that is barely translucent if held up to the light. Thick creamy 1-finger head that lasts and deposits very nice lacing.

S - Not as boozy as it's rum-barrel aged brother but the whiskey aroma is definitely there. A very nice caramel note from the wood as well as toasted grains and charred wood. There is a sweet milk chocolate aroma as well in the finish.

T - Let this one warm up a little bit from fridge temp and it opens up a lot. Whiskey comes first followed very quickly by a boozy chocolate milk shake flavor. A nice chewy caramel flavor is in there as well. Finishes with an awesome sweetness from the lactose paired with a minor whiskey burn.

M - Big heavy body that is extra viscous due to the addition of milk sugar, which in turns makes it creamy on the palate after swallowing. Volumes of carbonation are kept low which allow all the flavors to come through. Hardly any alcohol burn on this one at all and leaves the palate with a dry woody taste.

O - I had to admit that I had my doubts when it came to this one as I think some of CCB's porters seem to be too light on body and sometimes flavor but this one is definitely not. The flavors blend awesomely and the balance of wood/roasted grains/sweetness is rock solid. Another knockout from CCB. Get this one while you can....

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

tchaos is my cigar city secret santa, it seems. A million thanks for this one.

A- Big creamed coffee head that looks like a snowdrift eeking out the top of the glass. Thin but enveloping lace draws down the side of the tulip.

S- Milk chocolate, mild brown sugar and caramel. Hot alcohol as well.

T- Malted milk chocolate and smooth, velvety, smoky whiskey. Really sublime whiskey notes. This is a case where this beer was meant for this barrel. A very harmonious flavor profile. The lactose, it seems, smooths out the porter and brings a sweetness that compliments the barrel treatment.

M- Strong alcohol presence, if you're not a whiskey fan this'll throw you for a loop. I like big and boozy beers, so I'm diggin' this.

O- Say what you will about Cigar City, but when they bring it they bring their A game. Bohr, Dirac, Neihlsborium, and now this... I'm impressed. Really good (and unique) -bal aged offering.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

A - pours with a small head of light brown foam on top of an opaque, black body. The head settles quickly and leaves only light lace.

S - nutty chocolate and notes of vanilla, nutella and perhaps a hint of licorice.

T - lots of caramel and toffee up front. Chocolate comes out in the middle with some raisin and molasses. Vanilla whiskey notes emerge in the finish and a nutty chocolate flavor coates the tongue.

M - a thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - I didn't know what to expect from an imperial milk porter, or if such a thing would really be different from an imperial stout. I was surprised to find that this beer was very appropriately categorized. The malt is dark, but there is no real roast character, just chocolate and dark sugar. The whiskey character is noticeable, but not overwhelming and it definitely adds to the experience.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This bottle was acquired in a trade with preismj awhile back. Thanks Matt!

This beer pours a medium bodied Milk chocolate brown in color that pools to be more of a dark, dark brown on the verge of black. It has a creamy and soapy beige head that turns into a sticky lacing. The nose features plenty of vanilla bean, creamed coffee, milk chocolate with just a touch of whiskey. The nose is soft and just really well integrated. It's silky smooth. The flavors feature smooth milk chocolates, cola, vanilla bean, light coffee roast, a touch of bitterness and a mellow whiskey finish. The flavors too are really nice and smooth. They do finish somewhat quickly in the after taste. It drinks medium in body and doesn't show the abv at all. This is a really nice beer. I'm glad I could try it. I have loved everything that Cigar City has barrel aged, this included.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

almost black pour with about a 2 finger width head that leaves a small ring that provides good lacing. Very huge whiskey smell up front honestly I have never smelled another beer that was this whiskey forward in the nose chard oak, vanilla, and caramel sweetness. The flavor is very unbalanced but since I love whiskey I really don't mind how unbalanced it is the chard oak is up front then there is a little caramel sweetness. The mouth feel is good with a decent amount of carbonation. It seems that most breweries that barrel age do it to compliment the beer brewed but with this brew it seems like the beer is just a carrier for the whiskey flavor of Stranahan whiskey. Over all this is a really good beer if you like whiskey, if you don't like whiskey I could see why you don't like it.

4.27/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle split among beeruser, funkydelic, and dbhall. Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a massively dark brown (basically black) with a minimal light tan head. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, wood, and sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, roasted malt, dark chocolate, wood, sweet alcohol, and subtle cream. It had a heavy feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a great brew. This one really surprised me if I am completely honest. The base beer on this one must be quite excellent if I am honest as the whiskey barrels really took this one to a new level. The barrels let you know their presence right out of the gate when you went in for the aroma. They carried that through into the flavor as well. Wouldn't have guessed Milk Porter, but Porter for sure. Really worth trying if I am honest.

4.25/5  rDev +1.2%

750mL bottle courtesy of jale (thanks Jim!). Split with my wife on Thanksgiving, opened before the first NFL game started.

This pours a dark brown color, nearly black except at the edges, with a couple fingers of light tan froth that clings to the glass in thick sheets. Excellent aroma, the whiskey doesn't dominate so much as it integrates with the base beer. Seems milk stouty, it smells nearly like a chocolate malt with whiskey added in small doses. Dark chocolate and lots of sweet malts, lightly roasted with a lactic edge.

It tastes like it comes from Cigar City, in the same way that you can tell barrel aged Alesmith beers from the barrel notes. Some breweries just have a classic theme to them, at least from my experience so far. The beer is rich and chocolaty, with minor whiskey accompaniment, and it might be the lactose but in some way this is turning a little sour in the finish. Full bodied, nice mouthfeel and aftertaste.

I'm really enjoying this beer, and I'm hopeful the sour note isn't evidence of anything ominous from the barrel, just more the milk component of the beer. Recommended.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

this guy is awesome, had to review it.

thank you Jeff for hooking me up yet again with amazing brews. I had good gourd last night and was blown away really wish I reviewed it but don't want to do it by memory.

not gonna let this one slide tho

750 poured into 2 cigar city tulips

a- looks good.pours a light brown but absolutely dark in the glass. off white half inch head that leave some lacing.

s-this is where this one really shines. it's really th perfect mix of whiskey with the base imperial porter.lots of chocolate, vanilla, nice dose of whiskey sweetness.lactose in base beer comes through nicely.

t- yum, this one follows the nose with some real good intercession of the whiskey in the beer. lots of milk chocolate. I'm lovin this. reminds me of a good thinner imperial stout. great chocolate milk hints.

m- it's a nice medium thick body on the tongue. a bit thicker than our normal imp porter but thinner than a double stout(
( and much thinner than it's stout counter part by ccb, these guys make the thickest stouts around) nice change. heat is nonexistent! gf had sevrel more pours than usual.

o- very good beer. best BA porter iv had to date.BA imperial milk porter name sums it up perfectly. if you love Milk chocolate and whiskey this one is a must.

edit: drink it somewhat chilled as the lactose gets pretty strong as it warms

4.2/5  rDev 0%

750ml. Pretty close to black, thin layer of tan head.

Aroma, Malty caramel, vanilla, whisky oak, some chocolate. Pretty balanced, doesn't knock you on your butt with booze.

Taste, more caramel and vanilla. There is definetely some lactose sugar presence. The barrel is very well integrated with this one. Oak whisky accents. Not a lot of chocolate roast in this one. Cocoa and vanilla finish. Still a very pleasant pallet with this one, opens up nice as it warms especially the chocolates.

It's just a tad thinner and a tad higher on carbonation than some, preventing it from being that creamy mouthfeel. Still coats well and drinks very easily. Not sure what the abv is, but is pretty well hidden.

First Cigar City offering, no complaints for sure.

Imperial Milk Porter - Stranahan Whiskey Barrel Aged from Cigar City Brewing