Jalapeno Red - Cigar City Brewing

No picture uploaded.

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Chile Beer |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: ktrillionaire on 08-07-2011)
Reviews by ktrillionaire:
4.33/5  rDev +12.8%

This is a hoppy AAA with smoked Jalapenos (which are essentially Chipotles); it is not Tocobaga. The brew pours an amber hue, slightly hazy, and is capped with a small wispy off-white head. The nose reveals capsaicin in moderate amounts, which I'd say is a proper apportionment for a beer - this is not a hot sauce, after all. The green notes of the pepper fuse with some of the celery-esque notes of the hop bouquet and it makes for a very interesting and enjoyable aroma. Flavor-wise, the heat is subdued, and the pepper contribution is not overwhelming, but it is recognizable and complementary to the palate. A sturdy cookie-like malt is apparent, some hops are still noted, especially in the earthy-herbal range, and it has the ghost of a chocolate nuance underlying throughout. The feel seems a bit thin, but has a soft satiny texture that is quite enhancing, and finishes with a refreshing mouth-watering quality. Overall, this is a very good Chili Beer. A very good beer by any qualification.

ktrillionaire, Aug 07, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

iemailjack, Jun 05, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

From 32oz growler to Guinness pint glass on 8/18/11
*From notes

-- Muchos gracias, Dave. Your generosity never ceases to amaze me, my brotha! --

A: Dark ruby amber. One finger head on an aggressive pour, which dissipate quickly and yields little to no lacing.

S: Unlike most chile beers I've encountered, this one actually smells like a pepper, not pimento. It's spicy from the start and burns my nostrils.

T: Smoky. Liquid smoky on the fore, as the malty backbone stands this up on the mid. The finish is green, ad the spiciness of the beer latches on to the back of my throat. The jalapeno is certainly there, though it comes across a bit milder then I'd expected.

M: The carbonation here is low, which I contend is from the transport of those ol' CCB growlers. The overall mouthfeel is a bit thin and oily.

O: Cigar City's Jalapeno Red is a pretty damn good stab at a wild and crazy style. I'm not much into gimmick beers, but if you're gonna brew one, do it right. This, my fellow beer advocates, is just that: a solid chile beer by a top notch brewery.

Rhettroactive, Aug 25, 2011

Had this one tap so reviewing from notes.

A- Not much of a head on it, very little lacing as well, a burnt orange/red color, not overly appealing.

S- Nice, I can really smell the chipotle in it

T- I like this beer very much. I can taste the smoke and chili but don't get much heat. Sometimes chili beers are over the top and too hot for me, this is an easy drinking smokey chili beer. The red ale is very mild and it really lets the chili's shine on the palate.

M- A little light, could use more carbonation.

O- Very nicely done. Some people may feel it's weak in the heat department but I like it.

sendsilk, Aug 21, 2011
2.78/5  rDev -27.6%

On tap at the brewery.

A: Orangish red color with no head or lace to speak of.

A: the jalapeños were definately present in the nose. The distinct aroma was picked up on early. The nose is a balanced mix of caramel malt and grassy hops.

T: I get the jalapeño flavor, but the heat is not there. I was expecting a hotter brew. I was told this was not tocobaga, but a new recipie mixed with the jalapeños. This is too bad, because the base tocabaga is better then the base beer used here. The coconut flavors in toco would blend much better with the heat. In this case, the base is too bland to stand up to the chiles.

M: on the thin side of medium, and not enough carbonation.

O: A bit of a miss for me. If Tocobaga would have been used as the base, then I think it could've had a chance. But as is, would not have again.

Gtreid, Aug 08, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +1%

Huge thanks to Rhettroactive for generously sharing this awesome growler trade. Thanks, Rhett!

A: Jalapeno Red is an attractive looking beer. A deep, clear reddish copper color. Loses points with me because of what is a lackluster head retention and lacing, that is to say, almost nil. It could be a poor growler seal but the head and lacing was not great.

S: Am I grading to style? If so, it smells spot on. Sweet, acidic, smoky jalapeno. This is the first of this style I've tried, and I have to say, I wouldn't normally look for this in a beer. But for what it is, it is spot on.

T: I may be crazy, but I think I can taste some faint hops on the mid. It's ultimately washed out by the strong smoky jalapeno flavor. The jalapeno dominates, with some light hops and sweet malt as a light backbone. Spice lingers in the back palate. Pretty solid, but again for what it is.

M: Light, oily, watery. Decently carbonated. But lacking.

O: Folks, I have no idea how to rate this as I haven't had the style enough and I'm frankly not a spicy fan. That being said, CCB Jalapeno Red seems to accomplish what it sets out to do. It tastes like a Chipotle Burrito with a little bit of smoke. I can't say I'd ever want more than about 6 oz. of this at a time, but I can't shake the feeling that they accomplished exactly what they set out to. Worth a tick.

siege06nd, Aug 19, 2011
Jalapeno Red from Cigar City Brewing
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.