Guava Groove - Cigar City Brewing

Guava GrooveGuava Groove

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jcartamdg on 08-27-2011)

panamaniac, Aug 21, 2012

pperrecone, Dec 17, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

rjvanston, Dec 07, 2012

CGMLS3, Dec 29, 2011

Schade, Jan 13, 2012

sendbeer, Oct 27, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by stupac2. Thanks, Stu!

A: Pours a murky, burnt orange body with one finger of off-white head. Good retention.

S: Guava, pepper, banana, bubblegum, grain. I expected this to be an imperial saison or fruit-heavy beast, but the guava is fairly mild.

T: It's not a fruit beer, but guava is the first and one of the few flavors that you notice. I happen to like guava, so this isn't a big sacrifice for me. I'm still looking for some hint of saison beyond a mild hint of pepper and some grain.

M: It's well-carbed; too much so, making it foamy. After that is swirled out, the body is light-medium. Semidry. A fairly clean finish with some lingering pepper.

O: I've had some far better saisons, but I've had some worse ones, too. This is around the middle of the pack. Not bad.

Arbitrator, Oct 26, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Split this bottle with 3 other friends.

Pours a hazy orange/gold with almost no head at all. Almost looked like apple cider sitting in the glass.

Smell is loaded with guava, pepper, and some barnyard funk.

For me the barnyard funk of the yeast completely overpowered the guava. It was still there, but not nearly as strong a presence as I was expecting. Finishes slightly sour and tangy.

Mouthfeel/carbonation are normal for the style.

Admittedly saison is my least favorite style by far, but I thought the guava may rescue this one. Just not enough guava to push me to like it. Not awful, but I doubt I'll ever seek it out again.

jmarsh123, Sep 10, 2011
2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

whartontallboy, Aug 20, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottle courtesy of robinsmv. Thanks, Matt!

I tipped the bottle to my glass and the foam, temporarily, blocked the beer from pouring out. Unusual.

It pours a hazy orange with a big head of foam. It's shrinking slowly but I can see some lacing left behind.

It smells very yeasty with some fruitiness in the background. A Saison that smells yeasty? No prob.

It has an earthy malt flavour up front followed some lemon zest, tropical fruit(light), a bit of a peppery spicy note, light bready notes, and quite a bit of an alcohol burn. This is not your typical Saison and I'll have to do some more sips before I can let the jury out.

On the high end of medium bodied with lively carbonation, the mouthfeel is okay.

After careful consideration...I find that I'm not a fan. No swerve on Matt for sending this my way intended. I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

Bitterbill, Oct 30, 2012

CityofBals, Sep 12, 2013

YogiMN, Mar 16, 2012

dfhhead25, Jul 06, 2014

beernads, Jul 15, 2013

IPAyForHops, May 02, 2013

BMart, Jul 02, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -20.1%

750 ml split with Apu, poured into New Belgium globes. Thanks Dan.

Hazy amber, with very hazy dregs; off-white dense and thick pillow-y head with medium retention and, oddly, no lacing.

The lemony tart and yeasty aroma profile is signature saison. There's some stronger acidity that suggests a light sour character. Lots of fruit, specifically white grape. But... guava? I don't get any until the very end.

Taste is bit of a let down from the aroma: the tartness is missing; and the hop bitterness is a little too strong. Finally, the beer tastes harsh at times... like leftover fruit pulp after getting juiced.

Mouthfeel is bigger than many other saisons but apt carbonation keeps everything in check. Overall just an average beer.

4, 3.5, 2.5, 4, 3

tewaris, Sep 15, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

After having Guava Grove and loving I figured this would be a sure bet.

Poured this into my new Cigar City snifter. A very murky peach color with a killer fizzy white heading. Left little lacing.

Subtle nose of some funky tartness. Guava , mango, pineapple. Just a nice clean smelling saison nothing spectacular.

Taste through me for a loop almost undrinkable. Very earthy so much that did taste some dirt in this. Ok sour levels nothing heavy and just alot of guava. No malt backbone and heavy seltzer finish.

Mouth was thin and watery. A heavy alka-seltzer like feeling in the mouth with a slight peppery sting in the end. Carbonation was fine.

Well I don't know what happened here. After having the Grove this is leagues behind that one.

TheFightfan1, Oct 10, 2011
3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

Bottle shared at a tasting. ~5 oz pour at ~5C. From notes.

Pours with a clear orange red body and little head that doesn't last. Never had guava before, but man do I know what it is now! Guava all over the nose and heavily in body. No malt on nose, little in body. Too much guava, blocking out the beeriness of the beer. Not worth having again.

kjyost, Jun 20, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

Bottled Aug 2011 but tickers gotta tick, right Al?

I really love Guava Grove. There's some bottle variation (including some with infections), but overall it's a great, inexpensive beer. And it's a perfect stepping stone into the world of sours. I had high hopes for Groove...

Unfortunately, this stuff is severely over-carbonated and slightly medicinal. Fresh fruit character from the original is nowhere to be found. Recently had a Grove of about the same age which was still quite good, so I'll attribute this fault equally to age and recipe.

Not awful, not good. Wish I could've tried it fresh.

brystmar, Aug 20, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -16.1%

A: Pours hazy pale orange with a tall thick beige head that sets quickly, sadly into no lacings.

S: Guava galore, reminds me of a Red Bull. Citirc notes. Faint yeasty and spicy notes way in the back.

T: Some yeast and spices, pepper. Some sour notes. Sweet malt, but everything is overpowered by the Guava.

M: Sour, kind of nice aftertaste. Carbonation is medium as well as body, but man this is smooth!

O: I'm sorry, this is almost all Red Bull - way to much Guava-dominance. I really love this style, but this is too extreme for my taste.

Evil_Pidde, Sep 07, 2011