Guava Groove - Cigar City Brewing

Guava GrooveGuava Groove

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jcartamdg on 08-27-2011)

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by stupac2. Thanks, Stu!

A: Pours a murky, burnt orange body with one finger of off-white head. Good retention.

S: Guava, pepper, banana, bubblegum, grain. I expected this to be an imperial saison or fruit-heavy beast, but the guava is fairly mild.

T: It's not a fruit beer, but guava is the first and one of the few flavors that you notice. I happen to like guava, so this isn't a big sacrifice for me. I'm still looking for some hint of saison beyond a mild hint of pepper and some grain.

M: It's well-carbed; too much so, making it foamy. After that is swirled out, the body is light-medium. Semidry. A fairly clean finish with some lingering pepper.

O: I've had some far better saisons, but I've had some worse ones, too. This is around the middle of the pack. Not bad.

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

3.25/5  rDev -14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Split this bottle with 3 other friends.

Pours a hazy orange/gold with almost no head at all. Almost looked like apple cider sitting in the glass.

Smell is loaded with guava, pepper, and some barnyard funk.

For me the barnyard funk of the yeast completely overpowered the guava. It was still there, but not nearly as strong a presence as I was expecting. Finishes slightly sour and tangy.

Mouthfeel/carbonation are normal for the style.

Admittedly saison is my least favorite style by far, but I thought the guava may rescue this one. Just not enough guava to push me to like it. Not awful, but I doubt I'll ever seek it out again.

3.18/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled Aug 2011 but tickers gotta tick, right Al?

I really love Guava Grove. There's some bottle variation (including some with infections), but overall it's a great, inexpensive beer. And it's a perfect stepping stone into the world of sours. I had high hopes for Groove...

Unfortunately, this stuff is severely over-carbonated and slightly medicinal. Fresh fruit character from the original is nowhere to be found. Recently had a Grove of about the same age which was still quite good, so I'll attribute this fault equally to age and recipe.

Not awful, not good. Wish I could've tried it fresh.

4.13/5  rDev +9%

Pours a translucent darker amber with a few fingers thick white head; splotches of lace down the glass. Smell: soft tropical fruit, grassy, grainy, a hint of pepper. Taste: guava is prominent but not at all overwhelming. Otherwise it's grassy, with pale and (a touch of) caramel sweetness. Peppery and a bit tangy finish. Very flavorful and fruit focused. I haven't had Guava Grove since it became un-sour, so I was a bit surprised by this one. Groove is incredibly drinkable and also quite tasty. Bottled Aug 20, 2011.

3.15/5  rDev -16.9%

After having Guava Grove and loving I figured this would be a sure bet.

Poured this into my new Cigar City snifter. A very murky peach color with a killer fizzy white heading. Left little lacing.

Subtle nose of some funky tartness. Guava , mango, pineapple. Just a nice clean smelling saison nothing spectacular.

Taste through me for a loop almost undrinkable. Very earthy so much that did taste some dirt in this. Ok sour levels nothing heavy and just alot of guava. No malt backbone and heavy seltzer finish.

Mouth was thin and watery. A heavy alka-seltzer like feeling in the mouth with a slight peppery sting in the end. Carbonation was fine.

Well I don't know what happened here. After having the Grove this is leagues behind that one.

Guava Groove from Cigar City Brewing