2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Guava Groove - Cigar City Brewing

Guava GrooveGuava Groove

pDev: 15%

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: jcartamdg on 08-27-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 178 | Reviews: 53 | Show All Ratings:
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.95/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle courtesy of robinsmv. Thanks, Matt!

I tipped the bottle to my glass and the foam, temporarily, blocked the beer from pouring out. Unusual.

It pours a hazy orange with a big head of foam. It's shrinking slowly but I can see some lacing left behind.

It smells very yeasty with some fruitiness in the background. A Saison that smells yeasty? No prob.

It has an earthy malt flavour up front followed some lemon zest, tropical fruit(light), a bit of a peppery spicy note, light bready notes, and quite a bit of an alcohol burn. This is not your typical Saison and I'll have to do some more sips before I can let the jury out.

On the high end of medium bodied with lively carbonation, the mouthfeel is okay.

After careful consideration...I find that I'm not a fan. No swerve on Matt for sending this my way intended. I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

10-30-2012 23:18:53 | More by Bitterbill
jmarsh123

Indiana

2.75/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Split this bottle with 3 other friends.

Pours a hazy orange/gold with almost no head at all. Almost looked like apple cider sitting in the glass.

Smell is loaded with guava, pepper, and some barnyard funk.

For me the barnyard funk of the yeast completely overpowered the guava. It was still there, but not nearly as strong a presence as I was expecting. Finishes slightly sour and tangy.

Mouthfeel/carbonation are normal for the style.

Admittedly saison is my least favorite style by far, but I thought the guava may rescue this one. Just not enough guava to push me to like it. Not awful, but I doubt I'll ever seek it out again.

09-10-2011 12:21:47 | More by jmarsh123
Arbitrator

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by stupac2. Thanks, Stu!

A: Pours a murky, burnt orange body with one finger of off-white head. Good retention.

S: Guava, pepper, banana, bubblegum, grain. I expected this to be an imperial saison or fruit-heavy beast, but the guava is fairly mild.

T: It's not a fruit beer, but guava is the first and one of the few flavors that you notice. I happen to like guava, so this isn't a big sacrifice for me. I'm still looking for some hint of saison beyond a mild hint of pepper and some grain.

M: It's well-carbed; too much so, making it foamy. After that is swirled out, the body is light-medium. Semidry. A fairly clean finish with some lingering pepper.

O: I've had some far better saisons, but I've had some worse ones, too. This is around the middle of the pack. Not bad.

10-26-2011 05:41:02 | More by Arbitrator