Hotter Than Helles Lager - Cigar City Brewing

Cigar City Brewing visit their website
Florida, United States

Munich Helles Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: PorterLambic on 09-28-2011

Our Munich Lager is a nod to the thirst quenching lagers of Germany. Our Helles has a sweet malt expression that is balanced by floral bitterness from the use of German Hallertaur Mittelfruh hops. A very refreshing beer that will also entice you by its subtle complexity and drinkability.

1.75/5  rDev -51.1%

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

2.9/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured from the can into a tall pilsen glass. Canned on date was August 2013 (about 8 months ago), so I'm afraid it may be a bit old for a proper review.

Poured a beautiful straw yellow color with just a tiny bit of haze, Thick white head was beautiful and took a few minutes to dissipate.

The nose was very strong on fruit. Grapes and pear in particular.

Tastes similar to smell, lots of white fruit. A twinge of bitter in the back of the taste after swallowing fully. Reminds me of a cheap pinot grigio .

The mouthfeel is ok, some tingly bubbles, but not as much as I was expecting. The bitter aftertaste hangs out in the back corners of my mouth for a while.

Overall, not my favorite beer, but not bad for a rainy afternoon of vidya game playin'. Again, I think it may have skunked slightly, so take this review with a grain of salt.

2.75/5  rDev -23.2%

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

3.37/5  rDev -5.9%

One of the principal venues for scoring CANs to further The CANQuest (TM) is Pinocchio's Beer Garden in Media, PA. I was there last Friday and I found several new CANs to bring back with me. If you have never been, put it on your to-do list.

From the CAN: "No Peppers, Just Puns"; "Drink Fresh! Do not age! Pour gently into a glass."; "Why so punny? 'Helles' is German for 'light colored.' Hotter Than Helles is more than just a (very) silly pun: it perfectly reflects the nature of this beer. A lager meant to be [CAN]sumed when it's truly hotter than helles outside. So there are no peppers or spices in this beer!"

Hmm. I will make the jokes around here, thanks, plus it is misleading. The loud Crack! revealed a brimful craft CAN, but IAW The Old Lady's wishes and the directions on the CAN, the Glug was as gentle as could be. I still managed to create a finger of fizzy, bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = 2) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled like German lager - a honey-like sweetness from the malts underlain by a grassiness from the hops. I prefer Czech-style lagers, but this will do. The CANQuest (TM) was built on a steady diet of AALs and I am very glad to have those days in the rear view mirror. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, more effervescent than I might have expected, and the taste was really sweet. In fact, it was too sweet for my taste. I would not have minded a pepper presence at all as opposed to this. Very honey-like, but I have some Blue Dog mead that will satisfy that craving when the time comes. Finish was likewise sweet and now I found myself looking forward to on of their many CANned IPAs to wash away the taste.

Hotter Than Helles Lager from Cigar City Brewing